Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

It reignited the thread, what more do you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Metroidvania is dead. And after how poo poo lords of shadows 2 was, I wouldn't be surprised if Castlevania was gone for a while.

Doesn't help the guy who make the Castlevania games up to the Lord of Shadow games left the company.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

quote:

In announcing his departure, Igarashi said he was striking out on his own to "make the kind of games I really want to make — the same kind I think fans of my past games want as well." That's likely more Metroidvania-style games, or as he calls them, tansaku (exploration) games. Just without the Castlevania name or legacy.

From an interview IGA gave back during GDC. That said though he does also mention that it bugs him that he's never managed to make a good 3D game, so v:v:v

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were good games. :colbert:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The Metroidvania genre isn't dead, even if Metroid and Castlevania both die. The La Mulana 2 Kickstarter got funded! :) (La Mulana is a better Metroidvania than any Metroid or Castlevania game anyway)

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Patter Song posted:

The Metroidvania genre isn't dead, even if Metroid and Castlevania both die. The La Mulana 2 Kickstarter got funded! :) (La Mulana is a better Metroidvania than any Metroid or Castlevania game anyway)

Sorry but I refuse to believe the Metroidvania genre can get any better then Super Metroid and Castlevania Aria of sorrows.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The original Prey 2 reveal was the best. What was wrong with "Lone human in a city of aliens at the far end of the galaxy" plot?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JethroMcB posted:

The original Prey 2 reveal was the best. What was wrong with "Lone human in a city of aliens at the far end of the galaxy" plot?

Bethesda Softworks honchos being a bunch of scum bags.

e:Allegedly.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

Sorry but I refuse to believe the Metroidvania genre can get any better then Super Metroid and Castlevania Aria of sorrows.

I preferred Dawn of Sorrows to Aria.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I preferred Symphony of the Night to everything.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I believe that Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is both the best and most adorable Metroidvania.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Pyroi posted:

I believe that Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is both the best and most adorable Metroidvania.

Look how right this person is.

Look!

Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent were good Mega Man style Metroidvanias. Though still punishingly hard ( as Mega Man games typically are ).

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Accordion Man posted:

Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were good games. :colbert:

I agree with this. Curse of Darkness, in specific. I like my Castlevania games to have level-up systems.

And god drat, those games had good art and music.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Patter Song posted:

I will loving cut you. Super Metroid was the poo poo. :colbert:

Granted I do enjoy the fact that La Mulana 2 did actually get funded.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

AngryBooch posted:

That Prey 2 stuff is a distillation of the rumors flying around when Bethesda gave development of the game to Arkane (of Dishonored fame) after the Human Head fiasco. Maybe it's a really early mission statement but most likely it's fake.
Even if it was an early mission statement, it wouldn't have been done on a Shodan background, it wouldn't have a bunch of random specific low-level features planned with the high-level story TBD and no idea what will actually be interesting about it, and not a single mention of what the Prey IP would do for it.

JethroMcB posted:

They haven't said that the plot was scrapped so possibly nothing. The only thing Bethesda has actually said is that it was delayed for not meeting quality standards, and that the Arkane rumors were fake.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

OneEightHundred posted:

They haven't said that the plot was scrapped so possibly nothing. The only thing Bethesda has actually said is that it was delayed for not meeting quality standards,

Makes me wonder how bad it was when the developer of loving Fallout 3 and Oblivion felt the game had too many bugs.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Order of Ecclesia disagress, being one of the best games of all time.

MAybe Activision-Blizzard'll announce Metal Arms 2. :v:

Thanks Internet posted:

From an interview IGA gave back during GDC. That said though he does also mention that it bugs him that he's never managed to make a good 3D game, so v:v:v

I want him to get the Csatlevania IP so we can get more kickin' rad adventures featuring JONATHON CHARLOTTE JONATHON CHARLOTTE

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ymgve posted:

Makes me wonder how bad it was when the developer of loving Fallout 3 and Oblivion felt the game had too many bugs.

Keep in mind that Prey 2's development history is.. spotty at best, and aside from that Bethesda's brief and ambiguous statement we've never heard any official word. There have been rumors of a dev strike, and according to Kotaku Bethesda shopped the project a bit before presumably deciding to hand it to Arkane (has been one of their internal studios for a while), something they corroborate with an alleged leaked mail from Raphael Colantonio who gracefully calls game journos "press sneak fucks".

There were a ton more rumors so this isn't by any means comprehensive, but it should give you a good idea of how messy the situation apparently is. And that's without even touching the fact that we just genuinely don't know whether there was anything ready beyond the demo of the game that was shown at E3.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
ok whats the funny rear end poo poo at e3?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Barfoid 3 posted:

I generally only know of attempts at being funny at E3 conferences, all of which usually fall flat on their face, or completely and utterly unintentionally funny things, like Konami's 2010/Nintendo's 2008/Sony's 2006 pressers.

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013

Barfoid 3 posted:

Anything Microsoft does.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Mind that only gamebreaking bugs will ever cause a game to be delayed or cancelled. Most bugs in FO3 and Oblivion were funny or were off the critical path. Older games did not have that kind of QA, so some copies of Daggerfall cannot complete it.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Drink one - A buzzword is mentioned
Drink two - One buzzword is used within the immediate space of a minute from another.

Drink one - A playerbase is mentioned
Drink two - Specific playerbase is mentioned
Shot - Shots of a family on screen crowding round to play a single player game
Two Shot - They're all smiling

Drink one - Microsoft highlights multimedia compatibility ("PLAY YOUR VIDEO GAMES ON THE GO - WITH OUR NEW X")
Drink two - The audience doesn't cheer
Shot - The audience is shown cheering

Drink one - A joke receives laughter (mild)
Drink two - A joke is actually funny
Shot - A joke falls on its rear end
Two shot - The Entertainer is a oval office, and you could do a better job.

Drink one - Sony highlights the success of the PS4
Drink two - Not only do they highlight the success, but people actually loving cheer
Shot - The Presenter for a Sony showcase is likeable
Two shot - The Presenter for a Sony showcase is not only likeable, but has a foreign accent
Three shot - The Presenter for said Sony showcase has a beard

Drink one - A presenter has a beard
Drink two - A presenter is bald
Drink ten - Stefan Molyneux actually appears
Drink thirty - He gets booed of stage (We can only wish)

Drink one - A presenter says something you can't understand (accents only)*
Drink two - A presenter is French
One shot - Ubisoft presenter is French
Two shot - A stream dies

Drink one - Nintendo announces something absolutely poo poo
Drink two - Nintendo announces something mildly poo poo
One shot - Nintendo announces something half decent

Drink one - EA fucks up
Drink four - EA integrates said title with a multimedia device, or real-world event (Player injuries, etc)
Drink five - If you hate EA (After the conference)
Drink three - EA literally does something so stereotypically new, cliché, unexpected, and mildly poo poo (This includes absolutely everything: Bad jokes, A new Battlefield title announced)
One shot - EA does something good
Two shot - EA does something loving horrific

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Anyone who follows that list is going to wind up dead halfway through the first day.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
We need to make up some E3 press conference bingo sheets

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Accordion Man posted:

Anyone who follows that list is going to wind up dead halfway through the first day.

Yeah, maybe if they're a casual

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I have a theory that people who make up drinking game rules don't actually drink.

Anyway count me among the people who are genuinely excited for E3. Good or bad, it's always a lot of fun to watch.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Overbite posted:

We need to make up some E3 press conference bingo sheets

Someone made a sheet earlier, so there's a starting point for this sort of thing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fat_Cow posted:

Drink one...

Aww that list is terrible. Here's a more fun one.

Take one drink if a non-video game celebrity is brought out on stage to talk about something that isn't related to video games.
Take one drink if a corporate spokesperson makes use of a dated internet meme.
Take one drink if a internet or lets play celebrity somehow winds up on stage (for the purposes of this game game developers do not count as internet celebrities.)
Take one drink if a painfully embarrassing guys vs girls segment occurs (feel free to drink even more if you feel the need to during this inevitable train wreck.)
Take one drink if a streaming problem occurs and a video either cuts out or loses sound. Take another drink if they just decide to go on and not present whatever it was that had the streaming problem.
Take one drink if a Hollywood star being a voice actor is treated as big news.
Take one drink if we get an "in the interest of time" during the CoD presentation.
Take one drink if someone tries to say that games are just as important or respected as films.
Take one drink if mocap (whether facial imaging or just plain body work) technology is hyped up as being important for a game.
Take one drink if a beloved classic game or franchise is re-imagined as a generic FPS or TPS.
Take one drink if the untapped potential of the Chinese console market is mentioned. Finish your drink if its mentioned by Nintendo, who don't even have a Chinese plan announced yet.
Finish your drink if they say that The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, Agent, Beyond Good and Evil 2 or any other development hell game is actually coming out in the next year.
Take a sip for every game delay announced.
Take one drink if any game's release date is actually moved up!

Take one drink if Nintendo puts 8-bit SMB Mario on the screen, whether as part of a video, a stage prop or whatever.
Take one drink if Reggie Fils-Amie engages in scripted light swearing (drat, rear end, etc.)
Finish your drink if Nintendo actually announces any of the following for Wii U (virtual console does not count): Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, a second full-fledged 3D Mario game, anything farmed/partnered out to a 3rd party non-Japanese studio.
Take one drink if Iwata apologizes, add one additional sip per additional thing he apologizes for.
Take one drink if a Nintendo presenter is wearing a stupid hat.

Take one drink if an Xbox rep tries to claim they are market leaders in North America.
Take one drink if legitimate upgrades to Xbox Live service are announced. Facebook integration does not count.
Finish your drink if Halo 5 ISN'T shown with gameplay footage.
Take one drink if Microsoft tries to pass off a pre-filmed video as being live Kinnect gameplay.
Take one drink if Microsoft tries to say that Windows 8 is great for gaming.

Take one drink if Sony feels the need to inform us exactly how much use the Share button has received.
Take one drink if the PS Move is actually mentioned. Add one sip per Move game announced.
Take one drink if Sony states that they make a profit on the system itself, regardless of game sales.
Take one drink if Sony's presentation features a Crash game that doesn't look awful.
Take one drink if Sony spends less than ten minutes on the Vita.

Take one sip per on camera sports star in the inevitable EA Sports segment.
Take one drink if EA's Star Wars shooter literally looks like its just a Battlefield or MoH game that has been reskinned.
Take one drink if Mirror's Edge 2 looks like poo poo.

Take one sip for every bald person who shows up on stage at the Ubisoft conference.
Take one drink if an Ubisoft Rep talks about government surveillance.
Take one drink if Aisha says "giant black girl" again.

Take a sip every time one of the following phrases is mentioned: "social media", "cloud", "Facebook", "tablet", "mobile", "share", "new audience", "free to play", "timed exclusive", "real gamers", "girl gamers", "gamer girls", "Edward Snowden", "Mountain Dew", "Doritos", "Minecraft", "Input One", "power of Kinnect", "for the first time" (only if it is clearly not the first time that said thing is happening.)

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 2, 2014

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
:sax: Remember: There's also an IRC channel at #e3 on synirc (Mibbit link)

fits fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 1, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Cliff Racer posted:

Take one drink if the untapped potential of the Chinese console market is mentioned. Finish your drink if its mentioned by Nintendo, who don't even have a Chinese plan announced yet.

Nintendo has been selling their poo poo in China for like the last 5 years under the brand name iQue which is a joint venture with a chinese company of the same name.

quote:

Take one drink if Sony spends less than ten minutes on the Vita. (Finish your drink and two more if this happens and you own the Vita)

Topped that one off to help ease the pain.

quote:

Take a sip every time one of the following phrases is mentioned: "social media", "cloud", "Facebook", "tablet", "mobile", "share", "new audience", "free to play", "timed exclusive", "real gamers", "girl gamers", "gamer girls", "Edward Snowden", "Mountain Dew", "Doritos", "Minecraft", "Input One", "power of Kinnect", "for the first time" (only if it is clearly not the first time that said thing is happening.)

Now you're just trying to kill someone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Halo 5 was already announced, like with a title and everything. That should probably read if they don't show any gameplay footage then drink.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Patter Song posted:

I know La-Mulana has a rabid following around here and all, but let's not be ridiculous.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

Drink two - One buzzword is used within the immediate space of a minute from another.

Just this is enough to send you into liver failure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fat_Cow posted:

Drink ten - Stefan Molyneux actually appears
Drink thirty - He gets booed of stage (We can only wish)

Either you've got the wrong Molyneux here or I'm missing the joke.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

but I don't wanna die

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Commissar Ken posted:

Nintendo has been selling their poo poo in China for like the last 5 years under the brand name iQue which is a joint venture with a chinese company of the same name.

Jesus

Bets on the number of instances of "Playstation nation"?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Rinkles posted:

Jesus

Bets on the number of instances of "Playstation nation"?

Christ that's ugly. I think that's iQue's first product with Nintendo's permission. I'm pretty sure they also straight up sell DSi's and 3DS's just with the brand name changed.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

nerdz posted:

This is a bit of exaggeration. Yes, you can die in 2 hits to harder monsters (1 shots are usually pretty telegraphed), but considering you can stock up with dozens of healing items before a fight, 2 hits is pretty lenient if you're smart about healing after you get hit. The game teaches you not to panic after you're 1 hit away from death and wait for the best time to heal (using a heal item leaves you vulnerable and rooted for around 3 seconds while you use it.)

Also the mentioned last boss here is unlocked after something around 50 hours or more of gameplay, and is intended to be fought by 4 people. If you try it solo, the difficulty is not scaled down much, but of course people will do it.

No Alatreon is the last boss for both single player and Online mode. And it's not 50 hours. It's probably 50 hours or more if you want to fight every monster battle but you just needed to do the 4 or so key quests for every rank until you're rank 8. There's the lower rank Alatreon which can be fought before g-rank too which just requires rank 4 or 5.

Let's not forget that Mark of the Hero is probably the biggest blockade from most people getting to village alatreon. Where you have to fight a Lagicrus and then a Bracydos and Rathalos double header with no breaks inbetween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

Christ that's ugly. I think that's iQue's first product with Nintendo's permission. I'm pretty sure they also straight up sell DSi's and 3DS's just with the brand name changed.

Correct going back to the DS.

The iQue 3DS has its own region code, though.

• Locked thread