Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ruthless Spacer 4 lyfe. Give me a prequel game where I earn that title on Torfan like some kind of space version of the Saint of Killers, just a mountain of corpses and the classic Shep smug smirk while anyone else still alive just cat-stares into infinity at her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The barebones guestlist result is pretty sad but I'm waiting for the psycho Shepard party mod, where you're the only attendee and the apartment is filled with cardboard cutouts of your dead crewmembers.

Ghost Thane shows up, realizes he is in hell because he'll never be able to forget this.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

"Hey, uh, James."

"Eyyy Lola, what's up with this bein' all...empty? Don't you got any friends?'

"No."

"Oh."

"I did, once,"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Earthborn Ruthless renegade was one of my favourite runs.
Be max renegade and kill all aliens except be paragon to the humans

:black101: Butcher of Torfan :black101:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I bought this game on the PS3 back in January and it's pretty much all I've played since then. After finishing only my second full trilogy run-through I chose Control and I have to say, yeah, Shepard "dies", but it really was the right ending. TIM was right all along, he was just the wrong person to do it.

Now having finished it again, I figured I'd start over with an insanity/max out/trophy hunter replay and... ugh, I just can't be assed. :effort:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

My Q-Face posted:

I bought this game on the PS3 back in January and it's pretty much all I've played since then. After finishing only my second full trilogy run-through I chose Control and I have to say, yeah, Shepard "dies", but it really was the right ending. TIM was right all along, he was just the wrong person to do it.

Congratulations on being indoctrinated. I look forward to destroying your insane god-spaceship form in ME4.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

sassassin posted:

Congratulations on being indoctrinated. I look forward to destroying your insane god-spaceship form in ME4.
I think most people would consider Synthesis to be the "oops I got indoctrinated" ending. I figure Control is just Shep thinking "now I can get giant sentient spaceships to do everyone's stupid tasks instead of having to do them myself."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Control is an underrated choice.

Immortal God Femshep watching over the galaxy from her deathless palace in the stars is a good ending

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hmm, how immortal is she in that scenario? There won't be new Reapers, and they can be destroyed, though with great difficulty. Even with only one casualty per century, someday they would all be gone. Then you only have to destroy the Citadel, and she would cease to exist as well.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Torrannor posted:

Hmm, how immortal is she in that scenario? There won't be new Reapers, and they can be destroyed, though with great difficulty. Even with only one casualty per century, someday they would all be gone. Then you only have to destroy the Citadel, and she would cease to exist as well.

Well then immortal God Shepard would just make more Reapers, it's easy to do, you just turn an entire civilization into paste.

People who support Control as an ending are literally Hitler.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Torrannor posted:

well, entropy always wins

all immortality is figurative.

Should be able to get a few billion years of benevolent GodShep, though, given what we know of Reaper/Catalyst longevity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crappy Jack posted:

Well then immortal God Shepard would just make more Reapers, it's easy to do, you just turn an entire civilization into paste.

People who support Control as an ending are literally Hitler.

right, the people who don't push the button that genocides a sentient allied race are Hitler.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fag Boy Jim posted:

right, the people who don't push the button that genocides a sentient allied race are Hitler.

nice qualifier

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the other button genocides zero people, giving it a low score on the Hitler Scale.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think the other button genocides zero people, giving it a low score on the Hitler Scale.

Good thing the Geth aren't people

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You're not a person.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

.nosrep a ton er'uoY

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bah, I wanted the Reapers destroyed and Shepard to live. I get that out of the Destroy ending. And I like the narration and music over the ending slides.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

sassassin posted:

I thought about it this time. Synthesis was definitely the Reaper goal the whole time, it's literally what every Reaper you spoke to said they were doing when they harvested the other races.

Also, I'd like to think with the decisions my Fem-Shep made along the way for the betterment of all races, as opposed to TIM's Earth First view, that Reaper-God-Shep would have fixed everything then sent the reapers into the sun once all the repairs to the galaxy were made.

After seeing that ending, yes the Destroy ending ended the reapers once and for all, and I suppose civilization eventually rebuilt, but a lot of people died to make that happen. Shep sort of lived (assuming medical care in time), but all the relays were destroyed, the citadel was destroyed, the blast radius from the reapers killed a lot more people, and the Normandy was stranded on random jungle planet.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the Normandy is stranded in all endings. I'm not sure how more people due in Destroy vs. the other endings (reapers falling on them?) but it's probably not that many more.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Normandy flies away in the best version of the Destroy, Control, and Synthesis endings.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

Count Choculitis posted:

News/Updates

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you are a pussy-rear end motherfucker with the EC.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Extremely bad news, IMO

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

My Q-Face posted:

I thought about it this time. Synthesis was definitely the Reaper goal the whole time, it's literally what every Reaper you spoke to said they were doing when they harvested the other races.

Also, I'd like to think with the decisions my Fem-Shep made along the way for the betterment of all races, as opposed to TIM's Earth First view, that Reaper-God-Shep would have fixed everything then sent the reapers into the sun once all the repairs to the galaxy were made.

After seeing that ending, yes the Destroy ending ended the reapers once and for all, and I suppose civilization eventually rebuilt, but a lot of people died to make that happen. Shep sort of lived (assuming medical care in time), but all the relays were destroyed, the citadel was destroyed, the blast radius from the reapers killed a lot more people, and the Normandy was stranded on random jungle planet.
Are you sure you're not watching a pre-extended cut destroy ending? Destroy kills the Geth and EDI (arguably to present :airquote: consequences :airquote: and :airquote: hard choices :airquote:) but the effects are the same otherwise, except now the Reapers are gone and can't be used by an insane God Emperor or get fused to the rest of the organic population of the universe by green space magic.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I rid the universe of the reapers and the Geth in one fell swoop, I am the best Cmdr Shepard

and I'd do it again too

e: and the rachni

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's been said before but just to reiterate: Destroy is the correct ending.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

Control is an underrated choice.

Immortal God Femshep watching over the galaxy from her deathless palace in the stars is a good ending

And the next Warhammer 40k campaign.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
With all this discussion of the Control ending, I feel like reposting this from the old spoiler thread:

quote:

Control is the official ending. It's been decades since the War ended, and everything is being rebuilt, restored to perfection. It is always perfection. Everyone is so grateful to The Shepard for its salvation. Everyone always tells The Shepard how grateful they are, even as they quake in terror before its throne on the citadel. The Watchers patrol the depths of space, watching for any sign of disorder. They are The Shepard's loyal hounds, incapable of mercy or compromise. The galaxy will be great, again, no matter the price. Sacrifices will be made.

A thriving black market runs through Omega, where any manner of distraction serves as contraband. There is no inefficiency inside this perfect order, and even things as mundane as alcohol, music, or movies are strictly controlled. Non owns firearms, no nations have guns on their ships. There is no need, speaks The Shepard. The Watchers will protect you in the black.

Pirates live free, but in fear, skirting the Watchers many eyes with modified Tantalus drives. Crime thrives, because The Shepard cannot see what is too well hidden. There is cruel, inhuman perfection above, and a roiling sea of chaos beneath. Trapped between these two worlds, our new hero is a war orphan turned duct rat, bouncing between half-decent jobs and criminal syndicates, lured by their freedom, repulsed by their depravity, and always, like everyone, mindful of the great red eyes of the Watchers, as they mantle onto the station, clambering over it, looking in every window and booming out their pronouncements. Our hero has heard that The Shepard was once a hero, but he/she knows only the tyrant.

Then, one day, after a simple smuggling job goes wrong, fleeing from the hunting Watchers, with a wounded Spectre shoved in the cargo hold and a warrant on his/her head, our hero encounters a crazy old Turian, with a plan to "put down a bad dog, and save an old friend", as is dragged into a world of lost hopes and broken dreams, and a mad scheme to challenge even the Citadel itself.

This is Mass Effect 4.

BONUS SCENE: Old Man Garrus, preparing a refitted Normandy to ram the Reaper-Shepard, declaring, "See you at the bar, buddy." before engaging a manually-programmed FTL hop, directly into the abomination's eye socket.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Waltzing Along posted:

It's been said before but just to reiterate: Destroy is the correct ending.

Just remember that EDI and the geth are both smart enough to keep some back-ups handy, ignore that you enemy just told you how to kill it for no real reason, and shoot that tube.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Utritum posted:

With all this discussion of the Control ending, I feel like reposting this from the old spoiler thread:

This might be a bit fan-fictiony, but man, how much better would the ending have been if the secret to killing Reapers was reprogramming the FTL drives to smash into crap. Last mission would have been assaulting that research lab the Reapers hit early on. Would have totally made sense with how the Reapers seeded the knowledge for FTL but with those limiters in place, since they knew it was the only thing that could really kill them. Your fleet strength could have determined whether you figured out the knowledge in a last-ditch effort and had to spread the secret of how to do it to everyone, which ends the Reapers but now every rear end in a top hat in space has a planet-killing nuke in their spaceship, or if things go well enough you can control it so the secret doesn't get out. Then there wouldn't need to be any bullshit rationalization about Reapers vs Synthetics Star Child crap and they could remain what they were in Mass Effect 1, Unknowable Space Assholes That Kill Everyone.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What'll always be funny to me is how Control can basically be a mostly consequence-free Destroy if they had thought about it. Just fly all the fuckers into the Sun!

The existing version of Destroy could've been unnecessary. They could've made Control the sole purpose of the Crucible, and then you choose between Into the Sun! or Lonely God. gently caress Synthesis.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 3, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the Codex explains somewhere why FTL as a weapon doesn't work- almost every piece of sci-fi that has FTL travel has to explain why you can't kill a planet with an infinite-speed baseball at some point.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think the Codex explains somewhere why FTL as a weapon doesn't work- almost every piece of sci-fi that has FTL travel has to explain why you can't kill a planet with an infinite-speed baseball at some point.

Right, in this case, it was built into the Prothean technology that everyone used, which was created by the Reapers. It was implied that the Reapers didn't want people doing advanced physics:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Trikalon posted:

When the Reapers entered the system, they dispatched a swarm of capital ships toward Trikalon, treating the supercollider as a greater threat than the asari naval fleet stationed at Sanves.

They could have picked up the thread that what they were working on could have led to home-grown FTL without the limitation, which could have led to FTL-ship nukes, but they didn't.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Hmm, On actually reading up on indoctrination theory, I see that my very first solution was the right one all along. The only reasonable option is to reject all of the options the Catalyst gives you in the first place and trust in Liara's information being passed on to subsequent generations to give them millennia to prepare and build the crucible properly, while trusting that the massive technologically advanced and strategically diverse fleet you spent the game building is able to put such a hurt on the Reapers over the next centuries that they will know they've been in a fight by the time they return to dark space, and when they do come back, they'll come back to a civilization that knows everything and is ready with a fully-studied and ready to go crucible instead of a hastily built in the middle of the invasion we-don't-know-what-it-will-do crucible.

Or yeah, destroy is the only correct option, Shepard was always never on the Citadel in the first place, his/her body was left in the rubble after Harbinger's attack on the beam site, and the crucible did what it was supposed to without you interfering.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The real ending of Mass Effect 3 is you going back in time with a crowbar so you can pull Mac Walter's head out of his rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I haven't gotten to the real ending yet, which is when I stop posting in this thread.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I haven't gotten to the real ending yet, which is when I stop posting in this thread.

Let me tell you about The Forums, my sweet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"Will I read the ME3 spoiler thread?"

"One day, my sweet, when archives is back up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Rudimentary creature of flesh and blood, the cycle can not be broken.

• Locked thread