Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
"Adderall...are these yours?"

"No, those belong to an underage kid that I keep in my house."

And now they're debating how to jerk off 800 dudes in 10 minutes. Wow.

Kleptobot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

That was way too much research on jerking off 800 dudes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tyberius posted:

That was way too much research on jerking off 800 dudes.

Apparently not. :smug:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A goony derail about how to jack off 800 guys in ten minutes led to a rousing climax and a happy ending.

:v:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That was just beautiful.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Any news about the show getting picked up for another season?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
The dudes debating the best way to jerk off the auditorium leading the Richard's breakthrough was probably one my my favorite scenes of the season.

Loved this episode, love this show. I can't wait to see where it goes next season.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

scotty posted:

It got picked up almost immediately after the season started. The good reviews definitely helped.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Damo posted:

The dudes debating the best way to jerk off the auditorium leading the Richard's breakthrough was probably one my my favorite scenes of the season.

Loved this episode, love this show. I can't wait to see where it goes next season.

I loved the inappropriate mural for the startup logo makeover episode.

also:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That was the best whiteboard breakthrough since Black Dynamite.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah pretty much.

loving bummed the season is already over but what a finale.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

scotty posted:

I think HBO renewing this for a second season was already confirmed.

"Release me. Release the Kraken." TJ Miller's delivery is so good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

the greatest dick joke in TV history

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just like how the entire beginning was what I predicted last week - Ehrlich's idiocy causes the Disrupt people to poo poo themselves in fear over the prospect of a lawsuit, and gets the judge disqualified. He's probably going to run Ehrlich over with his car next season, though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Despite some sour apples over getting parodied the show is a hit in silicon valley too:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/06/01/hbo-show-silicon-valley-watched-avidly-in-silicon-valley/

quote:

Not at all. About 1.7 million viewers tune in each week, according to Nielsen ratings, many from the innovative and wealthy center of tech.

"I have this interesting love-hate relationship with the show, because I watch television to escape from my everyday life, and this is like watching my everyday life," but it's slightly over the top. And I do say slightly," said Jen Donahoe, who works at Mountain View, California, messaging app firm Tango. "We are ridiculous here. We are throwing crazy money at 20-somethings because they can write code. But these guys are big kids. They're brilliant and geniuses but they play foosball and make fart jokes."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That entire scene between Erlich, Dinesh and Gilfoyle had me in tears. When Jared got involved I just lost it.

That finale ruled.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!
I noted that the HBO parental-warning shot before the show indicated "Brief Nudity." I assume that the dry-erase drawings of penis equations was the nudity?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jared's attempts to focus group his "pivot" ideas were the second best thing (the best thing, of course, being the dick discussion).

Would you say you're somewhat interested, very interested, or very interested? Which one? Which one? Which one?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I cannot wait for season 2 to include Pied Piper getting swamped with offers and Gavin Newsom trying to sue them into oblivion.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

So in the screenshots below... are the woman in sunglasses interviewing Gavin, the dude on the cell phone calling in to report Pied Piper's success, and the old guy wanting to invest, are they all people doing cameos? The acting or look of each of them seemed out of place enough to ping my radar, but I don't know tech well enough to say.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
A good show and a good season

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mike Judge had the breakthrough epiphany moment be a conversation about jerking off two-hundred people.

I really like Mike Judge.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ireladd posted:

So in the screenshots below... are the woman in sunglasses interviewing Gavin, the dude on the cell phone calling in to report Pied Piper's success, and the old guy wanting to invest, are they all people doing cameos? The acting or look of each of them seemed out of place enough to ping my radar, but I don't know tech well enough to say.

Lady in the sunglasses either is or is imitating Kara Swisher, who does the re/code, formerly AllThingsD, stuff, occasionally while wearing sunglasses indoors.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

LividLiquid posted:

Mike Judge had the breakthrough epiphany moment be a conversation about jerking off two-hundred people.

I really like Mike Judge.

800 people.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Even better.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I.

LOVE.

DICK JOKES.

e.

Storgar posted:

I.

LOVE.

DICKS.

hurr

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ultramiraculous posted:

Lady in the sunglasses either is or is imitating Kara Swisher, who does the re/code, formerly AllThingsD, stuff, occasionally while wearing sunglasses indoors.
Hah, yeah, I totally see it! Nice catch.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

etalian posted:

the greatest dick joke in TV history

Am I remembering wrong- or was there a point in that long interview where TJ Miller and Thomas Middleditch said, "The whole season is just building up to one long dick joke"?

Overall- a very satisfying first season. I wonder if they will recast Peter Gregory at this point.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 2, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dude on the right is the guy who interviewed them at tech crunch NY and did not like them at all. It was posted earlier in the thread.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ahaha. Self parody.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Great show, Mike Judge is a genius.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The one thing I disliked was Monica asking Richard out, which just seemed unbelievable. I mean, he's just been a mess every time they've interacted, and she's supposedly a powerful businesswoman working for one of the top tech firms. I just don't see the connection between them, and I can't think of anything Richard's done that might be the least bit attractive or endearing to her. Then again, her character doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. She says she invested her own money in them because she thought he had a great business...but he certainly didn't, especially at the time. All he had was an algorithm, and she had just invested in several other guys with compression algorithms. And she is somehow won over by the stammering passivity of the fourth one?

I dunno, I enjoyed this season, but that entire character feels off to me, and it seems like they were scrambling to put an attractive female in there somewhere after the main plot and cast was in place.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Phenotype posted:

The one thing I disliked was Monica asking Richard out, which just seemed unbelievable. I mean, he's just been a mess every time they've interacted, and she's supposedly a powerful businesswoman working for one of the top tech firms. I just don't see the connection between them, and I can't think of anything Richard's done that might be the least bit attractive or endearing to her. Then again, her character doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. She says she invested her own money in them because she thought he had a great business...but he certainly didn't, especially at the time. All he had was an algorithm, and she had just invested in several other guys with compression algorithms. And she is somehow won over by the stammering passivity of the fourth one?

I dunno, I enjoyed this season, but that entire character feels off to me, and it seems like they were scrambling to put an attractive female in there somewhere after the main plot and cast was in place.

I agree that the whole Monica/Richard thing is really bad. Hopefully they realize this for the second season and steer away from an actual, totally unbelievable and stupid relationship.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know they debuted Halt and Catch Fire last night specifically to tap Silicon Valley viewers' curiosity, but the Dick Joke Whiteboard proved that there are just some places AMC cannot go. I doubt it'll last the season.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

dude on the right is the guy who interviewed them at tech crunch NY and did not like them at all. It was posted earlier in the thread.

That's Michael Arrington, founder of techcrunch.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This episode really reinforced the "Richard is boring, but important for the plot, Ehrlich is the true star" narrative this thread has come up with. Hell, they kind of made it a point - the crew, Ehrlich in center, is busy doing stuff you actually watch the series for in one room, while Richard is busy bringing the plot forwards in his own encapsulated world.
It's really meta.

Also this show violates my sense of disbelief something fierce. Dragons, zombies, Ehrlich getting away with a weed garden or instantaneous return from robot island I can deal with, but a 5-fold compression of naturalistic video? I'm sure the Shannon-Kolmogorov Theorem rules out Weizbaum scores over ~3.3.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Phenotype posted:

It's not my favorite storyline but given her job, I don't know that it's entirely odd that she would be endeared to someone who is neither an arrogant jackass nor a completely hopeless goon. He's just an awkward dude who is honest and nice and not entirely absorbed by the economic implications of his every movement. They've made him a bit too bumbly for me to believe this, but I'd imagine her attraction to him is less about who he is and more about how he differs from the people of similar positions that she deals with on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Cingulate posted:

Also this show violates my sense of disbelief something fierce. Dragons, zombies, Ehrlich getting away with a weed garden or instantaneous return from robot island I can deal with, but a 5-fold compression of naturalistic video? I'm sure the Shannon-Kolmogorov Theorem rules out Weizbaum scores over ~3.3.

gently caress off pathetic nerd

• Locked thread