Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Get a force air blower for your dog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4mSYcjAqY Use it on yourself. Seriously that's what I do after I brush my husky. Way faster and easier than a lint roller. Vacuum a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have a Plott hound.
He is a good boy.
When he rolls in the grass, or gets lots of pets and seems his happiest, he'll lay down, place his front paws together and 'swim' in the air with them. To better describe this, put both hands over your head, palms out. Put your left palm, hand still open, over your right hand and swim-stroke down towards your belly with your elbows still extended.

We've never seen a dog do this. Any thought as to what it is? It's obviously not harmful, just curious. My only thought as a layman is that it has to do with nursing, like he's pawing for a nipple or something, but he's three years old now. To be even more pedantic, this isn't a 'threshold' activity, as in he doesn't get over-stimulated and suddenly drop and do this, it's just something he does when happy and secure and still has energy.

In all other aspects he's a normal, lazy dog. These pawing sessions last 20-30 seconds, and it's totally not a problem, fixation, or issue; only asking if any one else has seen this behavior as we can't explain it and it's cute to watch.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
So my dog is supposed to get her first dental cleaning ever that we know of tomorrow. Most of what we've read online says to keep them still and confined and warm after anesthesia. However we're going on a very last minute trip to kentucky (15 hour drive)and taking her since everywhere is full up for memorial day weekend. My question is, will she be alright traveling after anethesia, or should we reschedule her appointment? We can't get out of going, but we can reschedule easily.

For info about her, she loves riding and sleeping while we're driving, is very relaxed at the vet and with the person we're staying with.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

How long after anesthesia? If you are picking her up and starting the trip, you might want to reschedule out of an abundance of caution.

A day or so after? Should be okay. I would get an idea of vet clinics you could go to at or near your destination on the rare chance something bad happens.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

I am thinking about getting a dog from the local pound. I went to the pound, and looked at some of them. I found one who I want to spring out and pay his bail.

My only concern is, I would have to pay his bail today(which I can cover), I'd have to pay the dog deposit(which I can cover), and then go get him tomorrow. I want to get him a crate/kennel for the first few nights, so that he doesn't have an accident in the house. I have never setup a crate before, are they very hard to get together?

Also, what should I get/do for him on the first day? I looked for a shelter/pound thread, but couldn't find it.

Thanks

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Colt Cannon posted:

I am thinking about getting a dog from the local pound. I went to the pound, and looked at some of them. I found one who I want to spring out and pay his bail.

My only concern is, I would have to pay his bail today(which I can cover), I'd have to pay the dog deposit(which I can cover), and then go get him tomorrow. I want to get him a crate/kennel for the first few nights, so that he doesn't have an accident in the house. I have never setup a crate before, are they very hard to get together?

Also, what should I get/do for him on the first day? I looked for a shelter/pound thread, but couldn't find it.

Thanks

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471773 This may help, it has more info than just for puppies. It's for new owners as well.

RE: the crate, it depends. You can get wire crates that collapse on themselves for pretty cheap at most pet stores. Some people (paging cryingscarf) have had issues with the dogs trying to escape/collapsing the crate on themselves (I have 2 wire crates and have never had an issues with this. YMMV.) There are also other styles of crates, with frames, less wire etc. Several should be available at the pet store, pick what you think is best for your situation (we travel with the dogs a lot, so a collapsible crate is very convenient).

Other things that jump out at me:
  • Paper towels
  • Enzymatic cleaner (natures miracle)
  • Patience
  • A leash, if you don't have one
  • what do you plan on doing during the day while you're away? Crating? xpen? If not crating, it'd be a good idea to confine the dog until he gets acclimated
  • A walkthrough before you bring him home of everything that is dog-high. He may not be a chewer, but odds are that you're going to lose some shoes, wires, controllers, remotes, etc etc etc. It's impossible to think of everything and get everything put away, but the less out for him to get, the better. And if you do a walkthrough with an eye for that stuff, you might notice things before you bring him home that would otherwise be harmful.
  • toys/chews/treats. Get something long-lasting to help with crate training (give him when he goes in the crate so he has something to occupy himself). Whatever toys you think he'll enjoy. Some dogs (I think Tater? is one of them?) don't decide they like toys until a year after you've had them. Some decide immediately that they can't live without it. Some just don't like toys. Get a variety: rope, rubber, balls, squeaky, noisy. A lot of people (myself included) will also recommend mental toys, something to make him think. You can get something like an IQ Ball to feed him meals where he has to think in order to get to the food, and there are also puzzle games available.
  • A harness, if you aren't sure of his leash-walking habits yet.

That's all I can think of right now. Others may chime in with more suggestions. The linked thread should help if it's your first dog as well! Enjoy your (potentially) new buddy.

e: other varieties of crates besides wire. I'm not biased, I swear.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
If you think you might end up wanting to take your dog on an airplane, then you'll need an airplane-safe crate. Those are primarily solid plastic, not wire.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

mcswizzle posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471773 This may help, it has more info than just for puppies. It's for new owners as well.

RE: the crate, it depends. You can get wire crates that collapse on themselves for pretty cheap at most pet stores. Some people (paging cryingscarf) have had issues with the dogs trying to escape/collapsing the crate on themselves (I have 2 wire crates and have never had an issues with this. YMMV.) There are also other styles of crates, with frames, less wire etc. Several should be available at the pet store, pick what you think is best for your situation (we travel with the dogs a lot, so a collapsible crate is very convenient).

Other things that jump out at me:
  • Paper towels
  • Enzymatic cleaner (natures miracle)
  • Patience
  • A leash, if you don't have one
  • what do you plan on doing during the day while you're away? Crating? xpen? If not crating, it'd be a good idea to confine the dog until he gets acclimated
  • A walkthrough before you bring him home of everything that is dog-high. He may not be a chewer, but odds are that you're going to lose some shoes, wires, controllers, remotes, etc etc etc. It's impossible to think of everything and get everything put away, but the less out for him to get, the better. And if you do a walkthrough with an eye for that stuff, you might notice things before you bring him home that would otherwise be harmful.
  • toys/chews/treats. Get something long-lasting to help with crate training (give him when he goes in the crate so he has something to occupy himself). Whatever toys you think he'll enjoy. Some dogs (I think Tater? is one of them?) don't decide they like toys until a year after you've had them. Some decide immediately that they can't live without it. Some just don't like toys. Get a variety: rope, rubber, balls, squeaky, noisy. A lot of people (myself included) will also recommend mental toys, something to make him think. You can get something like an IQ Ball to feed him meals where he has to think in order to get to the food, and there are also puzzle games available.
  • A harness, if you aren't sure of his leash-walking habits yet.

That's all I can think of right now. Others may chime in with more suggestions. The linked thread should help if it's your first dog as well! Enjoy your (potentially) new buddy.

e: other varieties of crates besides wire. I'm not biased, I swear.

Thanks, I just found that other thread, and realized it was for more than just puppies. I reposted my post there.

I have a crate on order from Amazon.

I have a lot of that stuff, and just need to go grab some toys, and some good food.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cheer up a dog who has lost a furry companion? We suddenly and unexpectedly lost our coonhound yesterday. This morning we buried him, still wrapped in whatever the vet clinic uses. We brought both of our other dogs with us, hoping they'd be able to smell him and know what happened. I am pretty sure my lab knows; she definitely knows he's not around. She's acting really depressed, and beyond the basic 'extra fetch, pets, snuggles, time' I'm at a loss for what to do to cheer her up and get her out of her funk. They were best friends, inseparable. Our third dog is kind of, to put it nicely... slow, from her seizures that are now under control. I don't think she really cares much. We'll probably get another dog eventually, but adding another adopted dog with a 2 year old child in the house is something I'm kind of wary of.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Re: flea control, we got a prescription for Comfortis from the vet, and, in spite of all the scary warnings, that poo poo works absolute miracles. Emmie is allergic to flea bites, so for a while she was utterly miserable and apathetic and spent most of her time scratching or asleep from Benedryl. We gave her that and in less than a week she's no longer scratching, her tail is healing, and she's the active and interested goofball we first brought home. Never saw even a hint of the purported vomiting.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Astrofig posted:

Re: flea control, we got a prescription for Comfortis from the vet, and, in spite of all the scary warnings, that poo poo works absolute miracles. Emmie is allergic to flea bites, so for a while she was utterly miserable and apathetic and spent most of her time scratching or asleep from Benedryl. We gave her that and in less than a week she's no longer scratching, her tail is healing, and she's the active and interested goofball we first brought home. Never saw even a hint of the purported vomiting.

Yeah, some dogs vomit on it, but lots do just great. Glad to hear it's working for your pup!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Edit: Male Border Collie, aged 8-10 (adopted as adult). Last saw a vet for a checkup 3 weeks ago, in good health. Not been sick but poo very runny and smells worse than normal. No blood.

My dog is not well. We first noticed something wrong a few hours ago when he started creeping round us with his ears back and his tail down and wagging gently. We thought he had done something wrong because he was acting exactly like when he feels guilty. In the past few hours he has been acting really stiff and tired, as if he has suddenly aged five years. We went for a walk and he went very slowly and hung round us the whole time, whereas he normally shoots off exploring as soon as he gets the chance. Now he is spark out on the floor, but responds fine when called.

I guess my question is - do dogs just get "under the weather"? Will he get over it and pick up in the morning? Or do I need to get him to a vet?

Sanford fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 24, 2014

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

For an older dog with sudden signs like that, I personally would recommend a vet visit. Not like, ER or anything ( so don't :derp:)but sooner than later.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

HelloSailorSign posted:

For an older dog with sudden signs like that, I personally would recommend a vet visit. Not like, ER or anything ( so don't :derp:)but sooner than later.

Thanks. He keeps staggering suddenly like he can't hold his own weight, so we're taking him. Thankfully we have insurance as the consultancy fee alone (without treatment) is £164.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I'm bringing a shelter dog home this Saturday. Having been employed in a pet supply company for four years, I can safely say that nothing available in stores has struck my fancy in terms of collars that will go amazingly with this dog's resplendent coat. Over-priced and gorgeous dog collar suggestions, anyone?

pomme
May 8, 2013
Can anyone tell me if the parvo vaccination is effective immediately? (Or does it need a time of x amount to become effective?) Thank you!

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

pomme posted:

Can anyone tell me if the parvo vaccination is effective immediately? (Or does it need a time of x amount to become effective?) Thank you!

How old is your dog? I generally tell people at least 1 week after the last in the series, and it's still possible for them to get it if they are exposed to an overwhelming amount of the virus, so don't let them roll around in parvo diarrhea. They are definitely still susceptible during the vaccine series, hopefully to a lesser degree, as I see puppies younger than 16 weeks get it all the time despite having had one or two of their vaccines.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

pomme posted:

Assuming you're asking about a puppy, they're not considered protected until about a week after the final vaccine in the series.

pomme
May 8, 2013
No, it is for a six year old dog. I moved before the last vaccination he was meant to receive and it just hit me now (because I'm taking him to visit a friend and their dog passed from parvo about eight months ago.) So now I'm not planning on bringing him, unless I can take him for the vaccination and it will be effective immediately.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm looking at the Advantix 11-20 lb treatment for a dog that's 11.6lbs (just weighed today). Is the 11-20 going to be fine, or should I grab the next step down? Can I just give her 90% of the tube or something?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Official Bizness posted:

I'm bringing a shelter dog home this Saturday. Having been employed in a pet supply company for four years, I can safely say that nothing available in stores has struck my fancy in terms of collars that will go amazingly with this dog's resplendent coat. Over-priced and gorgeous dog collar suggestions, anyone?

Is that a girl or boy dog? I'm going to assume girl cuz they are so freakin beautiful.

I reccomend something snazzy and custom from Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/6753261...ew_type=gallery
http://www.etsy.com/listing/1903909...ew_type=gallery

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Our nextdoor neighbor recently got a dog, and it's been making noise nearly nonstop since they got it-- they've been keeping it inside and we live in the woods so there's a little bit of distance between us, but even so I can hear their dog doing a sort of higher-pitched bark/whine pretty regularly and for long stretches at a time. I don't have a good ear for dog barks, so I can't tell if it's just energetic or if there's anxiety and agony in that bark/yelp or what.

I'm afraid of confronting the neighbor directly, since the guy's kind of crazed and we helped his wife move out and divorce him some years back, so what else can my family do about this?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm looking at the Advantix 11-20 lb treatment for a dog that's 11.6lbs (just weighed today). Is the 11-20 going to be fine, or should I grab the next step down? Can I just give her 90% of the tube or something?

11-20 size will be fine. It won't hurt the dog to use less, but you risk having the product not work as effectively.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
One of my dogs developed a more-or-less round hairless spot on his ribcage maybe a month ago. He is a delicate flower who has a lot of food allergies which usually manifest as skin issues and I'd recently slightly changed his diet, so I assumed it was just the beginnings of a hot spot or something, changed his diet back, and didn't think anything of it. It seemed to itch him a bit at first (which is why I noticed it, he has a lot of fur and it's not really noticeable unless you part the hair surrounding it), but then didn't seem to bug him after the diet change. His hair is growing back, slowly.

But tonight I noticed that one of my other dogs who does not have any history of sensitivities/allergies has an almost identical spot on the inside of his upper hind leg (his thigh?), just a vaguely circular hairless spot of roughly the same size. I didn't notice it bothering him but then again dogs lick their groins a lot anyway and it's in vaguely the same area so I'm not sure I would have.

I have some experience with ringworm from shelter dogs and it doesn't seem to fit with that to me. For one thing, it's been at least a month (maybe more like two, really) since I noticed the first spot and it hasn't spread to any of the other dogs (I have four) or to me. It also just looks different. It's really just a lack of hair, nothing else.

Any ideas on what this might be? Or maybe am I just being paranoid and it's coincidence?

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

My husband lives in grey's 11 year old cat is worrying us. We're getting catfood tomorrow, but until then we're totally broke, so we're feeding the cats tuna because we don't have much else (it's only been yesterday and today that we've had to do this). The other two cats (10 year old girl and 7 year old boy) are doing totally fine with it, so far as I can tell, but I noticed that when Rena came out of the kitchen after eating, she kept licking her chops and whiskers for several minutes. We got concerned and burrito'd her to look in her mouth, but we didn't see any foreign bodies. She didn't lick while she was burrito'd, but she went back to it after we let her go.

So, my question is, is licking chops excessively sometimes normal? Or is something wrong with her? There's nothing stringy in the kitchen that she could've gotten into, she only started doing this after eating some tuna.

(I am aware that it isn't healthy to feed cats nothing but tuna, but we don't have a choice until tomorrow, we don't want them to starve or get sick.)

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

It's probably just really stinky and she's trying to get the smell off her face (cats often groom themselves after eating; I think it's so that predators can't smell them as easily).

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
How do you resist the urge to blow up at people who don't take proper care of their pets? Not the outright abusive owners, but the neglectful ones. The kind of people who don't want to scoop poo or think that brushing their German Shepherd once a week is unreasonable.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

GabrielAisling posted:

How do you resist the urge to blow up at people who don't take proper care of their pets? Not the outright abusive owners, but the neglectful ones. The kind of people who don't want to scoop poo or think that brushing their German Shepherd once a week is unreasonable.

Understand that you can't win them all. Lead by example but don't be preachy. There are worse things in life than a dirty box or a sheddy dog.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

GabrielAisling posted:

Bite your tongue and when you get away from them call someone who understands and vent away.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

cryingscarf posted:

Bite your tongue and when you get away from them call someone who understands and vent away.

Come to pifb. We have little hotdogs on toothpicks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

a life less posted:

Understand that you can't win them all. Lead by example but don't be preachy. There are worse things in life than a dirty box or a sheddy dog.

This so much. Even when it is bordering on abusive you sometimes can't do anything to change someone's mind. All you will end up doing is raise your blood pressure and be depressed and hate the general public, and the animal still ends up mistreated and the owner just gets defensive - depending on how you start the conversation - and might even double down on whatever the gently caress they were doing because... who knows.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

This so much. Even when it is bordering on abusive you sometimes can't do anything to change someone's mind. All you will end up doing is raise your blood pressure and be depressed and hate the general public, and the animal still ends up mistreated and the owner just gets defensive - depending on how you start the conversation - and might even double down on whatever the gently caress they were doing because... who knows.

One of my coworkers has a rott who is obviously reactive and recently got a minpin, who the rott now tries to attack anytime they're near each other. Rather than work on the behavior, when it happens he alpha rolls and smacks the rott, and when "it has to be let out around the minpin" it wears a muzzle etc. I started to say that they should do more, work with a specialist, etc, but I know him well enough to know that if I even tried going down that path it would end miserably. He isn't abusive in the sense that he's doing things intentionally to damage the dogs, but he doesn't know any better and nothing will change his mind. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that minpin doesn't last long :(

It helps ease my mind when I go home to my dogs and play with them and see all the improvement that we've seen with Artemis' resource guarding since working with the behaviorist and doing more to train her correctly.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Thanks everyone. :unsmith: Sometimes I forget how awesome and supportive PI can be. I take solace in the fact that my late grandmother's cat is fairly well cared for. She gets crappy food, but doesn't seem to mind. She gets pets and brushing and gets to be a happy indoor/outdoor cat. She also likes to help with menial labor, like pruning trees and sewing projects. She assists by laying on things, naturally. I really need to get more pictures of her to prevent KES. :ohdear:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

mcswizzle posted:

Come to pifb. We have little hotdogs on toothpicks.

This is pretty accurate. PIFB is all venting and discussions about food.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
There's a toll to cross that bridge though. Photodump.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Yes. Photodump and then send me a PM if you're interested.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.

a life less posted:

Yep. For example, with a sheddy dog, if you catch the hairs in one of those combs, and save it up, eventually you will have enough to make a second dog.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The Oncoming Storm posted:

Yep. For example, with a sheddy dog, if you catch the hairs in one of those combs, and save it up, eventually you will have enough to make a second dog.

Or a handspinner's wet dream. :dong:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Hummingbirds posted:

It's probably just really stinky and she's trying to get the smell off her face (cats often groom themselves after eating; I think it's so that predators can't smell them as easily).

Yeah, it looks like this was it. I realized that the other girl was doing this too after she ate it. My little boy didn't seem to care if he smelled like fish.

Luckily, they are all back on their normal food again and very happy :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I am really sorry I am sure this has come up before but I would love some opinions from folks dealing with a dog with canine cognitive disorder. I have an 18 year old lab mix, will be 19 in August. He has had several bloodworkups and the phrase the vet used was that he was in astounding physical shape. Great teeth, happy dog eats well. About six months ago he started acting out of character and the vet diagnosed him with CCD and prescribed him xanax. I am not a huge fan of the xanax, he is spending much more time sleeping and his back legs are getting weak. I think it's the xanax vs his age because the day before he started it he was running around as per normal and jumping on the furniture.

Anyway I have been talking with various veterinarians & other doggie people in the UK and they have unanimously recommended trying something like Activat, Senelif, or Pro​pento​fylli​n​​e. Activat isn't available in the US as far as I can find and Pro​pento​fylli​n​​e is prescription only. So I am starting with the Senelif and moving to the Pro​pento​fylli​n​​e as long as the vet thinks that is okay.

1st question does anyone have experience with any of those? Research in the UK seems very promising so I am optimistic.

2nd has anyone had a dog on xanax? I'm not sure how to taper him off and the vet isn't sure either, this is only the second dog I think she has treated this way and the 1st dog never got off the xanax. I'm not sure how to taper him off since he can't tell me if he's stressed. Does reducing his dose by a quarter each week sound like a safe plan or is that too quick?

Thanks everyone I appreciate any insight.

My bestie dog