Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The brilliance of that is Intel managing to take fab capacity away from its competitors by utilizing TSMC to produce an x86 product.

Intel licensing its IP to a Chinese manufacturer to be produced at TSMC. Man somewhere the old school Intel guys are probably rolling in their grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

coffeetable posted:

Since Broadwell has been pushed back a year, are we likely to see in it any of the architectural upgrades that would've been scheduled for Skylake in Broadwell instead?

No.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Available for purchase late June / early July.

Anandtech has a pretty good writeup.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 3, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Can't see a good reason to get 1. a new motherboard, or 2. a new processor, currently have (parted, not built) Z87 motherboard and a 4770K or whatever the highest end skew was for overclocking. Can someone offer me a reason I'm not thinking of? I decided that I don't want to overclock to the nines anymore, I just want to go for something that's performance commensurate with my current 4.5GHz 2600K, which is around 4.2-4.3GHz on Haswell, right? I've got probably the baddest rear end air cooling setup on these particular forums, and that's not something I'm particularly proud of, but it's a whole hell of a lot of Noctua and Prolimatech and big fans and air sections and anyway the point is that seems like a pretty mild OC to reach ~performance parity without having to spend more money for no... apparent reason. I really, really doubt I'll be unable to reach my perf target with what I have right now, and it already has lots of PCI-e 3.0 lanes, plenty of everything I need, compatibility with everything I have... Is there a thing I am missing that would compel me to spend like $500 redoing that whole section of the upcoming build, when I'm already fine with my performance and just want the features of the more modern hardware?

What am I missing? Am I missing anything?

Edit: More modern hardware = Z87 platform + Haswell processor vs. p67 platform + Sandy Bridge processor, not something fancy they're introducing here that I don't care about. I cared about the Z87 stuff enough to say gently caress it I'll build one, same for Haswell per se, but I'd rather not double dip if it's not going to be worth gently caress all for me given that I have not expanded my requirements. I guess it's a very modest gamble that I'll be able to get 4.2-4.3GHz, given the thermal limitation on pre-refresh Haswells, but I am kinda pretty 100% sure I can move heat that fast, and the overapplied TIM and too-thick IHS glue isn't going to stop heat transfer at that low level...

I'm leaning strongly toward "I shouldn't have bought these damned parts in the first place, but what's done is done - is there any reason to do more, I'm thinking no?"

Agreed fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 3, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Only thing I can think of is that Z97 has much-improved DPC latency over Z87, bringing it back to at least how good it was on P67/Z68. Might matter to your audio junk maybe? :shrug:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So do Haswells not run at top speed on all cores simultaneously? HWInfo says it does but I don't know how accurate it is.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
They do not, unless the motherboard has applied some Multi-Core Enhancement (read: overclocked the chip). Overclocking the chip generally locks all cores to the same multiplier. Because Turbo is heat-limited, the idea is that the chip will run at its fastest when only one core is active, and slow down a bit when more cores are active, and run at the base frequency when the heat limit is reached.

It's been this way since the first Nehalem chips, too (i7-9xx).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Agreed posted:

Can't see a good reason to get 1. a new motherboard, or 2. a new processor, currently have (parted, not built) Z87 motherboard and a 4770K or whatever the highest end skew was for overclocking. Can someone offer me a reason I'm not thinking of? I decided that I don't want to overclock to the nines anymore, I just want to go for something that's performance commensurate with my current 4.5GHz 2600K, which is around 4.2-4.3GHz on Haswell, right? I've got probably the baddest rear end air cooling setup on these particular forums, and that's not something I'm particularly proud of, but it's a whole hell of a lot of Noctua and Prolimatech and big fans and air sections and anyway the point is that seems like a pretty mild OC to reach ~performance parity without having to spend more money for no... apparent reason. I really, really doubt I'll be unable to reach my perf target with what I have right now, and it already has lots of PCI-e 3.0 lanes, plenty of everything I need, compatibility with everything I have... Is there a thing I am missing that would compel me to spend like $500 redoing that whole section of the upcoming build, when I'm already fine with my performance and just want the features of the more modern hardware?

What am I missing? Am I missing anything?

Edit: More modern hardware = Z87 platform + Haswell processor vs. p67 platform + Sandy Bridge processor, not something fancy they're introducing here that I don't care about. I cared about the Z87 stuff enough to say gently caress it I'll build one, same for Haswell per se, but I'd rather not double dip if it's not going to be worth gently caress all for me given that I have not expanded my requirements. I guess it's a very modest gamble that I'll be able to get 4.2-4.3GHz, given the thermal limitation on pre-refresh Haswells, but I am kinda pretty 100% sure I can move heat that fast, and the overapplied TIM and too-thick IHS glue isn't going to stop heat transfer at that low level...

I'm leaning strongly toward "I shouldn't have bought these damned parts in the first place, but what's done is done - is there any reason to do more, I'm thinking no?"

Isn't the 4790K supposed to turbo to 4.4 or 4.5 under stock conditions? Imagine what you could do with Devil's Canyon...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
^ 4.4GHz turbo, yup.

Factory Factory posted:

Only thing I can think of is that Z97 has much-improved DPC latency over Z87, bringing it back to at least how good it was on P67/Z68. Might matter to your audio junk maybe? :shrug:

Yeah. A Devil's Canyon i7 and Z97 board is finally a worthwhile upgrade from high end quad Sandy Bridge, depending on what you do with your machine. I'm glad Intel pulled their finger out and made the 4790K have a considerably higher base and turbo speed than the previous model, not just the ever-predictable 100MHz.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 3, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

They do not, unless the motherboard has applied some Multi-Core Enhancement (read: overclocked the chip). Overclocking the chip generally locks all cores to the same multiplier. Because Turbo is heat-limited, the idea is that the chip will run at its fastest when only one core is active, and slow down a bit when more cores are active, and run at the base frequency when the heat limit is reached.

It's been this way since the first Nehalem chips, too (i7-9xx).

I am running a mild OC, but maybe the little graph moves a little too quickly to be read accurately.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Surefire way to test: let the machine idle so everything drops back to 1600 MHz or whatever, then run Prime95 or IntelBurnTest set to 1 thread.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

Surefire way to test: let the machine idle so everything drops back to 1600 MHz or whatever, then run Prime95 or IntelBurnTest set to 1 thread.

Yep, they all peg at 3.8. Then again the BIOS/OC software lets you define max speed per number of cores running so there's that.

Is the Hyper 212 still the best cheap heatsink? I was very pleased with its performance on my Phenom but sadly I tossed a lot of extraneous hardware (including the LGA brackets) in my last move so I need a new heatsink anyway. :eng99:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I haven't seen anything dethrone it, but in the Haswell era it's less suitable as an overclocking heatsink unless you've delidded.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well, what the gently caress am I going to do with a couple of suddenly last-gen parts? :cry: Never buy and then don't build a computer, it's the dumbest feeling. gently caress you too, bad back.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Agreed posted:

Well, what the gently caress am I going to do with a couple of suddenly last-gen parts? :cry: Never buy and then don't build a computer, it's the dumbest feeling. gently caress you too, bad back.

Build a computer only marginally less capable?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I think it's funny how people into this stuff lately always struggle to come up with a good reason to actually upgrade a system that's only a few years old because the truth is that it's really not needed all that much.

So how good are Intels "onboard" GPU solutions by now? Last time I checked up a few years ago they sucked.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Build a computer only marginally less capable?

Z87 does have higher DPC Latency than Z97 though, or his older P67 platform, so it may not be completely ideal.

Build another machine for the hell of it? I don't know, I never bought parts for my computer and left them sitting around for a long time.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 3, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

HalloKitty posted:

Z87 does have higher DPC Latency than Z97 though, or his older P67 platform, so it may not be completely ideal.

And how!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

I haven't seen anything dethrone it, but in the Haswell era it's less suitable as an overclocking heatsink unless you've delidded.

Is there a better heatsink that doesn't involve cutting my CPU open? :ohdear:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Agreed posted:

Sell them on SA mart to poor struggling goons.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Police Automaton posted:

So how good are Intels "onboard" GPU solutions by now? Last time I checked up a few years ago they sucked.
For general use they're more than adequate and passable for gaming at low resolutions. Their main advantage is that entry-level PCs no longer need discrete graphics cards, though even a GTX750 is vastly superior for gaming.

Panty Saluter posted:

There are some better recommendations in the third post of the PC Parts Picking Megathread.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 3, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Panty Saluter posted:

No, the problem isn't the heatsink, the problem is the CPU. A lot of people like myself are going to be getting new CPUs soon so pre-delidded CPUs that are tested working will be on the market if you're too scared to do it yourself.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agreed posted:

You could put the parts up on SAmart at a discount, I'm sure there would be interest, and then recoup some of the money to put towards Devil's Canyon and Z97? I'd imagine you'd be able to cover at least 60-70% of the cost. You'd still be out a little extra but hey, super-awesome over clocking! (Possibly)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nearest microcenter is 3 hours away :(

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434210/G3258_32_GHz_LGA1150_Boxed_Processor_-_PREORDER

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434212/Core_i5-4690K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Boxed_Processor_-__PREORDER

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434211/Core_i7-4790K_36GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor_-__PREORDER

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

sincx posted:

Is there something with 22nm that prevents Intel from using fluxless solder like they did before for much cheaper and lower performing processors? I believe even Conroes got soldered heatspreaders.

Bottom line profits

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

fookolt posted:

And how!

Jesus christ. Well, who wants to buy some poo poo that was worth like $650 half a year ago for like half that now so that I can get in on some of that hot hot DPC action, some stuff has been losing clock lately and I think that shockingly low DPC might help.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I spent a lot of time with DPC stuff earlier this year. Short story, it sucks. I improved it greatly with "WinTimerT" though to the point I couldn't perceive any problems at all. This was a source of in game stuttering online though for sure.

Glad the 4790k is probably everything I'd hope for after the leak about its clock speed and TDP.

I might just throw up my delidded 4670k on ebay at $0.01 and no reserve and close my eyes.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Devil's Canyon logo is hilariously bad-rear end.

Holy poo poo Intel.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So bad its g-.. just bad

Is the DPC value an issue if you use a discrete soundcard?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Vanagoon posted:

Holy poo poo Intel.

Somebody at Intel must have really liked Gurren Lagann.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

devil's canyon looks really tempting, I have a sandy bridge which is fine 95% of the time but with broadwell pushed back a year and presumably not going to be much faster, might not be worth waiting.

Its too bad Intel is out of the board business for good, I used to just grab one of their boards because they were always rock stable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vanagoon posted:

Holy poo poo Intel.

Personally I woulda used that for the last Pentium 4s.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ika posted:

devil's canyon looks really tempting, I have a sandy bridge which is fine 95% of the time but with broadwell pushed back a year and presumably not going to be much faster, might not be worth waiting.

Its too bad Intel is out of the board business for good, I used to just grab one of their boards because they were always rock stable.

Foxconn has been doing everything including engineering for a while now. It just says Intel on the box.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Vanagoon posted:

Holy poo poo Intel.

Intel has had shocking logos for anything vaguely "gamer" for a while.

Look at the SSD they recently made for consumers that was previously enterprise. Horrible skulls.

The huge retarded sticker that shipped (still ships?) with their SSDs.

They name an entire platform after skulls for crying out loud (Skulltrail).

Intel has bad marketing. All that blue man group nonsense back in the day was bizarre.

The only thing that's memorable is their jingle. That said, they sell a product to people who have no idea what it even is, so I guess marketing have a difficult job.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

HalloKitty posted:

That said, they sell a product to people who have no idea what it even is, so I guess marketing have a difficult job.

I know what a CPU is - it's that box under the desk that the keyboard and display are connected to. :haw:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

HalloKitty posted:

Look at the SSD they recently made for consumers that was previously enterprise. Horrible skulls.

The retarded sticker that shipped (still ships?) with their SSDs. Huge and retarded.

They name an entire platform after skulls for crying out loud (Skulltrail).

Do not knock the Warhammer 40,000 style of marketing.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

dpbjinc posted:

Somebody at Intel must have really liked Gurren Lagann.

Quick and Dirty:

atomicthumbs posted:

This.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

atomicthumbs posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
The logo is a success whether you like it or not, evidenced here lol

edit: so who wants a delidded 4670k lol

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 4, 2014