Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moof
May 19, 2003

the horror, the horror

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You hold down a button and you can click the holotable.

press tab to toggle the mouse on/off, drag your ship from the right to the middle of the table, drag along the top to switch to "weapons", and you can switch weapons in and out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fredrik1 posted:

Has anyone gotten track IR to work?

No TrackIR support at all yet. Only Rift support

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Mother of God, people are actually talking about playing this game. And it's real.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Exioce posted:

Mother of God, people are actually talking about playing this game. And it's real.

And kind of fun.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Moof posted:

there is no Track IR support yet, but there will be

Please do this now tia :v:

Moof
May 19, 2003

the horror, the horror

mashed_penguin posted:

Please do this now tia :v:

TrackIR is great so I want to get it in asap :)

Moof fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 4, 2014

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Vanduul swarm mode is actually pretty fun and I love that I can strip poo poo off my pledge ship to use. I am surprised it doesn't chug on my system since some of my parts are a bit crap. Looking forward to multiplayer but til then I am gonna try to get past all 15 waves of swarm.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Moof posted:

press tab to toggle the mouse on/off, drag your ship from the right to the middle of the table, drag along the top to switch to "weapons", and you can switch weapons in and out
Cool, thanks. wish the weapons were highlighted instead of being the exact same color as the ship. Is there any reason I shouldn't cover my ship in guns taken off the trainer/the weird mech thing?

Moof
May 19, 2003

the horror, the horror

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Cool, thanks. wish the weapons were highlighted instead of being the exact same color as the ship. Is there any reason I shouldn't cover my ship in guns taken off the trainer/the weird mech thing?

i don't think there's any reason not to, as long as the weapons fit then do with them what you desire

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Bolow posted:

No TrackIR support at all yet. Only Rift support

I'll fire up my DK1 rift tonight and see how it does. I expect it to be trippy as balls.

Moof
May 19, 2003

the horror, the horror

BitBasher posted:

I'll fire up my DK1 rift tonight and see how it does. I expect it to be trippy as balls.

Rift support is still a work in progress, it's functional but don't expect it to be perfect :)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
TCAP continues to lead the way through cultural revolution in this game that somehow actually exists now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhjG43Ckiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7UIFfeTUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwQYrwfF1RE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GaEERWBLWg

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Game is buggy as gently caress, feedback on getting hit is terrible, controls are really janky/inconsistent regardless of IFCS, but it is occasionally fun. And the skill ceiling seems like it's going to be ridiculously high, which is going to ruin most double-mortgage pledged immersive cargo stackers' good time. Which is awesome.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Starkk posted:

AC is running pretty smooth, even on high settings. I wish I could try out the 300i or the Aurora, all the guns on my hornet are gimballed. Not sure I could actually hit anything without that.

I've now flown the 300i and the Aurora, and both have nothing but gimballed weapons.

The Aurora is sluggish compared to the 300i, and the guns leave something to be desired, but they will do the job if you work at it. It took considerably longer per kill than the 300i did. Finished wave 6 on first try with it. All 3 deaths came from collision - basically instant death. The last of which I dropped the throttle to zero when I saw it coming, and the impact didn't seem that high velocity, but it still did me in. Felt like a bug, but who knows... maybe it is that fragile.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ah! I was wondering when a SC thread would show up again. Release of AC seems like the perfect timing. The previous one was my main source of info before it was closed.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Av027 posted:

I've now flown the 300i and the Aurora, and both have nothing but gimballed weapons.

The Aurora is sluggish compared to the 300i, and the guns leave something to be desired, but they will do the job if you work at it. It took considerably longer per kill than the 300i did. Finished wave 6 on first try with it. All 3 deaths came from collision - basically instant death. The last of which I dropped the throttle to zero when I saw it coming, and the impact didn't seem that high velocity, but it still did me in. Felt like a bug, but who knows... maybe it is that fragile.

Ah ok I didn't know their guns were gimballed as well. How are the gimballed guns when using a joystick? So far I've only been using m+kb

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I can see collisions being a huge threat if they keep them as they are now. Right now if you hit anything truly solid (e.g. the big things on Blue Moon) going 10+m/s you die instantly. Dunno what the threshold is for ship-collisions but I've been taken out by them more than once.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.
^^^ I have clipped Scythes with the Delta wing on the 300i and I don't know that it even took damage. I wasn't destroyed, but I've been sent into a wild spin a couple times by it. However, head-on has been instagib with the Aurora, and I think maybe with the 300i too (only happened once, and I was in real rough shape). ^^^

Starkk posted:

Ah ok I didn't know their guns were gimballed as well. How are the gimballed guns when using a joystick? So far I've only been using m+kb

Tricky, but they work ok. You basically have to start firing when the crosshair is right over the target you have locked, and they'll track/lead from there.

VVV This too VVV

Av027 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 4, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The HUD provides feedback with the green diamond telling you when you have a firing solution.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Moof posted:

How well does TrackIR work for motion tracking? Does it require full head movement? I don't imagine it can track eye movement alone. I have a three screen setup but I tend to just glance side to side rather than actually look. Perhaps TrackIR can change that. Last I heard about it, Back when SC first announced, my circle of friends unanimously decided it was poo poo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wulfling posted:

How well does TrackIR work for motion tracking? Does it require full head movement? I don't imagine it can track eye movement alone. I have a three screen setup but I tend to just glance side to side rather than actually look. Perhaps TrackIR can change that. Last I heard about it, Back when SC first announced, my circle of friends unanimously decided it was poo poo.

it uses an acceleration curve to multiply your head movements. no eye tracking just head

it's awesome and if you have the money for it/play flight sims, you should get it.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Moof posted:

Yeah i've got my trackir sitting on my monitor yearning to be used.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
I'm debating whether or not to stream my eight hour download bar/launcher.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
How do flares work in a universe with ultra-advanced targeting computers? If a ship can put up a holographic readout of the enemy vessel indicating its exact heading and status, why can't it just tell the missile where to go via Space Bluetooth or something? The flares don't fool your targeting computer, do they? (I have not played this game and was just struck by the incongruity)

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013

ALFbrot posted:

How do flares work in a universe with ultra-advanced targeting computers? If a ship can put up a holographic readout of the enemy vessel indicating its exact heading and status, why can't it just tell the missile where to go via Space Bluetooth or something? The flares don't fool your targeting computer, do they? (I have not played this game and was just struck by the incongruity)

There are diffrent kinds of tracking. Heat-Seekers are cheap, but can be fooled by flares.
There are also Image-recognition Missiles (expensive and shouldn't have countermeasures IIRC) and EM-Seekers (some kind of middle ground).

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

http://partedveil.com/discussion/119798/official-dog-fighting-arena-commander-reveal-thread/index.php?p=3&quote=1024996

quote:

The current standard missile guidance systems are Heat Seeking, Friend / Foe, Image Recognition and dumbfire. The missile system is modular so if we decide to add a new guidance behavior down the road it should be relatively easy to do so.

Missile guidance will use the basic signal system for radar, plus a few extra rules for countermeasures etc. What this means in practice is that it will be important to match the missile type to the targets signature. If your target is pumping out a ton of heat, you'll have the best luck using heat seeking missiles, while targets with a massive cross section signature will be easy targets for Image Recognition missiles. On top of that each missile has a maximum flight time, and missiles at the upper end of the max flight time scale get pretty expensive!

Already answered but I looked it up.

It's weird to have something to actually talk about.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Are there any forward mounted lights or anything you can switch on to see when you're headed into the dark side of an asteroid or do I just need to be less oblivious? The collision warning is helpful but like a spotlight or even a flashlight and some duct tape would work wonders for my asteroid avoidance.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Are people just playing Vanduul Swarm or has multiplayer been activated?

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
(In other words, I'm dyslexic)
Re the rift, just had a little try - its laggy, when you turn head can see inside pilots lid...it has weapon head tracking though think apache gunship. So rift or trackir long term + hotas will hopefully be best of both the mouse input and hotas or stick as you get the best of all worlds. Gief dk2, even if its a laggy mess looking fwd to seeing the higher resolution.

jynxed fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 4, 2014

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

OH MY GOD IT'S OUT?!

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Crust First posted:

Are there any forward mounted lights or anything you can switch on to see when you're headed into the dark side of an asteroid or do I just need to be less oblivious? The collision warning is helpful but like a spotlight or even a flashlight and some duct tape would work wonders for my asteroid avoidance.

You can hit "O" to toggle the lights on your ship, but I think they're actually turned on by default already - hitting the button just turns them off. They're also just general running lights for your own ship and not really for looking at other things.

I thought I read somewhere though that they were planning to add proper searchlights and such to some ships at some point down the road.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Rastor posted:

Are people just playing Vanduul Swarm or has multiplayer been activated?

~250 have been let into the MP portion..

So pretty much everyone is just playing the swarm.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ballistic Photon posted:

Wow I'm not sure how many games have had a key binding interface like this, but god drat. This is so much better than scrolling through multiple lists.

You mean games that use an image? A poo poo load of them do.

Doink9731 posted:

I'm debating whether or not to stream my eight hour download bar/launcher.

Considering you stream yourself trying to play Wargame, I feel this will be a better experience.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

You mean games that use an image? A poo poo load of them do.

I think that's the actual keybindings screen you change bindings on, as opposed to a list, that's what they mean. I can't think of a game I've played in recent memory that hasn't been a list.

Also holy goddamn I can't believe this came out.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

OH MY GOD IT'S OUT?!

Yeah, and it's pretty good too.

Hornet trip report: It's good. Round 8, easy.

Missiles didn't seem any different than the 300i/Aurora missiles, despite the fact that they should be a size smaller. Still OHK on space trash Vanduul.

TTK seemed close to what I got with the 300i - need to run it again to judge a bit better.

Had a few "wingtip head on collisions", which sent me into spins, but didn't appear to do damage. However, nose-on collisions still wrecked my poo poo completely, twice, with the first death actually being attributed to one of my wingmen cutting in front of me, and I T-boned the fool. We both went up.

Word of warning, past round 7 maybe, they get far more aggressive it seems, which leads to an increased chance of head on collision from what I've seen so far.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wait, what. The Dogfight module actually came out?

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fuzz posted:

Wait, what. The Dogfight module actually came out?

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Weather Report: An area of low pressure in Hell is interacting with just enough cold air to result in some accumulating snow and ice.

Also pigs have been reported to sprout wings.

More on this at 5.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~
They can try and sweeten me up with Arena Commander but I'm just looking at the missed deadline for the Social Module. Some of us are here for the real gritty gameplay of text based roleplaying, not shooting spaceships.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

They can try and sweeten me up with Arena Commander but I'm just looking at the missed deadline for the Social Module. Some of us are here for the real gritty gameplay of text based roleplaying, not shooting spaceships.

Where are my space spreadsheets Chris? It's not an MMO before I can spend hours and hours nickel and diming ores and crafting materials to scam some newbies for a 0.4% profit :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Claes Oldenburger posted:

OH MY GOD IT'S OUT?!

No it's just a singelplayer module in which you fight bots.

It is not very good.

• Locked thread