Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Saladman posted:

So is there still no way to request a loving system update without calling Major Nelson and sending him a hooker? I downloaded Max and Halo and can't install them because of the hexadecimal error.

God what a loving terrible console. Powering on/off the system doesn't bring up a prompt and I can't find anything online that actually says it's possible to force the Bone to check for updates.

Between buying an XBone and buying BF4 for XBone, I've boned myself pretty goddamn loving hard by paying large amounts of money for alpha quality software. At least this current BF4 update might make it playable (??) without terrible netcode problems.

Yeah, they added this an update or two ago. Go to "Settings" -> "System" and on the left at the bottom there should be an option to update (It says "no update available" if you've already installed the June update).

EDIT:

Like this (may not be exactly right):

DOUBLE EDIT:

You can also update directly from the "CHECK OUT THE LATEST UPDATE" tile in the "featured" section of the dash.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm in the process of moving, and I now have a cable box (well, a satellite box), so I was planning on hooking it through my bone. Problem is, the thing only has one HDMI out. So this means I can't hook the reciever through the bone and also directly into the TV. I have some extra HDMI cables, but after some quick research it looks like HDMI splitters are really expensive. I feel like I'm missing something. Why are these things 60 bucks?

Any experiences with having TV running through the bone and only through the bone? Is it as inconvenient as I'm imagining?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

but after some quick research it looks like HDMI splitters are really expensive. I feel like I'm missing something. Why are these things 60 bucks?

There's actually a certain degree of bi-directionality (e.g. with HDMI-CEC) and HDCP handshaking that has to go on, so it's not just a basic adapter. It should not, however, be sixty bucks, I got mine for less than 20.

EDIT here's more or less the same model I have, although it's $25 now and I think is a new revision that respects HDCP (mine accidentally strips the HDCP): http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct...splitter+sewell

Amazon has similar devices from varying brands, some are closer to $20. They all need to be powered via a wall outlet, however.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 4, 2014

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Saladman posted:

Christ, between buying an XBone and buying BF4 for XBone, I've boned myself pretty goddamn loving hard by paying large amounts of money for alpha quality software. At least this current BF4 update might make it playable (??) without terrible netcode problems.

Dry your eyes and click the system update button. My copy of Max was downloaded but wouldn't work, once the update installs it says ready to launch, so you don't have to download them again. It doesn't need to inform you when there's an update because it occurs automatically anyway.

Phil games Spencer serves up a portion of the secret sauce https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/474220849612849153

The new update brings the one guide to a bunch of new countries. I've been using it, very slick. The guide is a thousand times more responsive than my lovely laggy cable box, so that's a bonus. There's all the smart glass changes in this update too, more control over your dvr.

This latest update removes the gold paywall for everything beside multiplayer. There's also 45 new apps incoming http://majornelson.com/2014/06/04/more-than-45-new-apps-coming-to-xbox/ including some twitter TV integration if that's your thing.

Some more details on forza horizon 2 http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/04/forza-horizon-2-resolution-framerate-music-more-detailed-ign-first

Looks pretty awesome.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Any experiences with having TV running through the bone and only through the bone? Is it as inconvenient as I'm imagining?

What inconvenience are you referencing? My cable box is plugged into my Xbox and the xbox inputs to the receiver. It simplifies the setup. I know it sounds like marketing speak but it's pretty darn simple. Unless I misunderstood why would you need an hdmi splitter?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
^^^ I'm set up the same way, though mine only goes to a 2.1 soundbar via optical cable. Have had no complaints. In other news, this appears to be new and it would also explain why my bone now properly powers everything on and off again. It was a little finicky before.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Anyone else having the iOS SmartGlass app crash when trying to access the OneGuide?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

DangerZoneDelux posted:

What inconvenience are you referencing? My cable box is plugged into my Xbox and the xbox inputs to the receiver. It simplifies the setup. I know it sounds like marketing speak but it's pretty darn simple. Unless I misunderstood why would you need an hdmi splitter?

Specifically the inconveniences I'd expect would be the extra time to start the console up whenever you wanted to watch TV (unless I leave it on standby all the time which I probably will) and the possibility of having viewing interupted by software updates.

My space is limited so once I set it up it will be difficult to swap inputs around.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

About the games for gold fiasco. I did the June update yesterday afternoon, before I tried anything else. After the update, I downloaded spathe two games with gold games. Neither would install, saying an update was required. However, there was and still is no other update available. Good times.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Specifically the inconveniences I'd expect would be the extra time to start the console up whenever you wanted to watch TV (unless I leave it on standby all the time which I probably will) and the possibility of having viewing interupted by software updates.

My space is limited so once I set it up it will be difficult to swap inputs around.

If your space is limited it sounds like a no brainer. You would want to watch tv through the xbox. If you have stand by mode on its quick. By the time the tv is on its ready to go. You don't have to use the one guide if you don't care for it. I have never noticed a software update

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
I wish there was a manual voice / menu command to be able to turn off the xbox without it having turn off your TV/AMP. I love the convenience of it but there are some rare circumstances where my housemate wants to use the TV straight after and it would be nice to just get the xbox to turn off on it's own.

New selection of apps looks good, I'm still having fun with Forza so FH2 will be a day one purchase for me. Don't think I saw this mentioned too but theres a companion app for the upcoming world cup which I'll definitely be using during the matches.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/xbox-one-goes-world-cup-crazy-with-free-brazil-now-app/

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

hanyolo posted:

I wish there was a manual voice / menu command to be able to turn off the xbox without it having turn off your TV/AMP. I love the convenience of it but there are some rare circumstances where my housemate wants to use the TV straight after and it would be nice to just get the xbox to turn off on it's own.

New selection of apps looks good, I'm still having fun with Forza so FH2 will be a day one purchase for me. Don't think I saw this mentioned too but theres a companion app for the upcoming world cup which I'll definitely be using during the matches.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/xbox-one-goes-world-cup-crazy-with-free-brazil-now-app/

There is. I have my bone set to turn on it and the TV with Xbox On and turn off without turning off the tv with Xbox Turn Off.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

It turns out the graphics for Dead Rising 3 after being updated following the Xbox One's June Patch.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend has a psychotic hated of remotes and prefers yelling at the TV for every function and keeping everything else in a drawer. So we have the cable piped through the bone to the TV. It's actually pretty neat and worth checking out in real life with other hu-mons around! Microsoft had a good idea they really didn't present well/have a receptive audience for.

Plus, can pretend my TV is the computer from Star Trek.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It turns out the graphics for Dead Rising 3 after being updated following the Xbox One's June Patch.

I'm trying to parse what you're saying, but it's like your sentence is missing words and your link goes to something for Steam?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I'm trying to parse what you're saying, but it's like your sentence is missing words and your link goes to something for Steam?

I think Wiggly Wayne DDS brainfarted the word "after."

Dead Rising 3 is coming to Steam (PC)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

univbee posted:

Yeah I should go get some sleep, whoops.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Stroke post.

Ultimate Mango posted:

About the games for gold fiasco. I did the June update yesterday afternoon, before I tried anything else. After the update, I downloaded spathe two games with gold games. Neither would install, saying an update was required. However, there was and still is no other update available. Good times.

I had max downloaded and it just popped up installed after the patch reboot.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

univbee posted:

Oh, neat. More people should play that game, it was fun.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

Phil games Spencer serves up a portion of the secret sauce https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/474220849612849153

This is to do with the kinect GPU reservation. At launch the GPU held back 10% of its power in reserve for kinect related functions such as gestures. Back in January they announced they would patch this to only 2%, the 8% being video based kinect functions and the 2% being for kinect voice, which they deemed too important to drop support for in exchange for extra performance. I assume this was already released seeing as it was announced at the start of the year and that they have released so many patches, but I'm not really sure. This is apparently confirming they will let you unlock the full 10% but assumably that means either your kinect must be disconnected or the functions, including voice commands, will simply be turned off. Just depends whether its a system level change or a game by game basis, but it looks to be aligned with the kinectless xbone model and is the last step in microsoft formally dropping universal support for it.

Also this is hardly secret sauce, its not extra pipelines, its not extra ROPs, its a small bump akin to an over clock and the most you will see from it will be games with wavering frame rates becoming more steady rather than any resolution or overall frame rate increases. Don't expect 720p/792p games to be bumped up to 1080p, or for 30fps games to be able to run at 60fps.

edit: Some people are saying that 10% is for all extra functions rather than just kinect, so if you turn on the 10% mode/play a game that uses the extra 10% its 99% certain that kinect voice commands, gestures and the snap feature will be disabled.

Stux fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 5, 2014

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Stux posted:

This is to do with the kinect GPU reservation. At launch the GPU held back 10% of its power in reserve for kinect related functions such as gestures.

Microsoft confirmed it to Eurogamer:

quote:

"Yes, the additional resources allow access to up to 10 per cent additional GPU performance. We're committed to giving developers new tools and flexibility to make their Xbox One games even better by giving them the option to use the GPU reserve in whatever way is best for them and their games."

And will this mean more games will hit the 1080p 60fps benchmark that's all the rage these days, I asked?

"Xbox One games look beautiful and have rich gameplay and platform features. How developers choose to access the extra GPU performance for their games will be up to them. We have started working with a number of developers on how they can best take advantage of these changes. We will have more to share in the future."

Microsoft also offered the following statement on the dev kit update in general:

“Just as we're committed to making ongoing system updates for our fans to enjoy new features of Xbox One, we're also committed to giving developers new tools and flexibility to make their Xbox One games even better. In June we're releasing a new SDK making it possible for developers to access additional GPU resources previously reserved for Kinect and system functions. The team is continually calibrating the system to determine how we can give developers more capabilities. With this SDK, we will include new options for how developers can use the system reserve as well as more flexibility in our natural user interface reserve (voice and gesture). We'll continue to work closely with developers to help them bring great games to Xbox One.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-04-xbox-one-dev-kits-receive-more-gpu-bandwidth

No mention of what happens to Kinect if you play a game that uses the extra resources.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
That's great news.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Wasn't the Kinect reserve being breached thing supposed to have happened for Titanfall, or am I thinking of something else?

Divekick is far more of a fighting game than anything Double Helix has done pre-KI. :colbert:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Iron Galaxy also made Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online and Marvel vs. Capcom Origins. No clue how well received those games were, but they have experience beyond Divekick.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
PC drivers for the One are now available
http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/

It connects through a micro USB

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

VincesUndies posted:

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/

They keep teasing us with Halo 2 Anniversary with that screenshot!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

They keep teasing us with Halo 2 Anniversary with that screenshot!

Not long til e3 now, find out if it's real.

Auto sign in is in the new update. Under settings > preferences > instant sign in. No reason not to have this on if you only have one profile on your console.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VincesUndies posted:

Hopefully they can implement wireless one day (and fingers crossed it works with my wireless 360 pad receiver!) - Still brilliant news though, Microsoft have come through big time with this one.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So if the drivers are just Xinput that means PC developers can't take advantage of the rumble triggers.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

peter gabriel posted:

Hopefully they can implement wireless one day (and fingers crossed it works with my wireless 360 pad receiver!) - Still brilliant news though, Microsoft have come through big time with this one.

360 and Xbone controllers use completely different wireless technologies. The Xbone uses wifi direct though, so in theory it should be possible if you have something with wifi on it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Maneki Neko posted:

360 and Xbone controllers use completely different wireless technologies. The Xbone uses wifi direct though, so in theory it should be possible if you have something with wifi on it.

The XBone supports Wifi Direct, but the controller uses a completely different and propriety method of communication. A dongle is going to be required to use it wirelessly on PC just like the 360 controllers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Isn't that 10% made up of the 8% they already released and then the 2% they've just released by saying "gently caress Kinect"? Kind of misleading that he's just giving it as a flat figure now instead of copping to the fact it's only a 2% gain added to what they already gave you.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Crafty posted:

Auto sign in is in the new update. Under settings > preferences > instant sign in. No reason not to have this on if you only have one profile on your console.

At last!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I wonder what their replacement will be for game DVR and "xbox record that" if a game has the option to completely nerf kinect and snapping. "Xbox record that" is legitimately OK, though I probably would prefer a real share button ala PS4/DS4.

I'm also wondering what their solution will be for multiple controllers connected. AFAIK currently Kinect is supposed to sort this out by making whichever controller you're holding is actually yours, but without kinect or a ring of lights it's going to be super confusing. Wishlist: new xbone controller at E3 with PC, ring of lights, and a "record that" button?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

evilalien posted:

The XBone supports Wifi Direct, but the controller uses a completely different and propriety method of communication. A dongle is going to be required to use it wirelessly on PC just like the 360 controllers.

drat that is a shame, hopefully they get the dongle released soon and then be back on track with this peripheral for the PC version.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

MrBond posted:

I wonder what their replacement will be for game DVR and "xbox record that" if a game has the option to completely nerf kinect and snapping. "Xbox record that" is legitimately OK, though I probably would prefer a real share button ala PS4/DS4.

I'm also wondering what their solution will be for multiple controllers connected. AFAIK currently Kinect is supposed to sort this out by making whichever controller you're holding is actually yours, but without kinect or a ring of lights it's going to be super confusing. Wishlist: new xbone controller at E3 with PC, ring of lights, and a "record that" button?

I doubt they'd get rid of Xbox record that, for non Kinect users I imagine it will be a press two buttons at once equivalent. Realistically that can't really require too much gpu bandwidth. Not sure about the dvr snap stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

evilalien posted:

It's Wifi Direct, it basically just has a flag that says "No this totally isn't Wifi Direct" so it won't work with anything else.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Crafty posted:

I doubt they'd get rid of Xbox record that, for non Kinect users I imagine it will be a press two buttons at once equivalent. Realistically that can't really require too much gpu bandwidth. Not sure about the dvr snap stuff.

I wasn't expecting them to get rid of it, but something needs to take its place if in-game kinect voice commands is a casualty of this decision.

Also, I'm going to feel more annoyed than when kinect-free was first announced if this is true and the direction things are going. The kinect is going to be even more of a $100 paperweight than if it were merely extra features. Such is early adoption of terrible MS ideas I suppose.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Maybe Microsoft could bundle in a cheap and discreet microphone in the Kinect free versions? That could be a good idea and would help with people who would still like to use voice commands, as that is really an integral feature for those interested in the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does anyone else using HDMI control have the problem where if your TV and stereo tuner are on BEFORE you turn on the Bone, the Bone will shut them off? If I turn on the Bone first it (very slowly) automatically turns everything else on, but if I do it in the opposite order it fucks everything up. The PS3 does this fine, so I know it's not some fundamental issue with HDMI control.

• Locked thread