Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

MRT the other lovely Kofi Kingston feud that seemed to go on forever was with The Miz last year

I knew there was another!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I knew there was another!

Kofi and R-Truth had a ton of tag matches with Prime Time Players and I think only a few were tag title matches. This went on for at least 3 PPVs.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
We're back!

Wrestling With Marks-ism Episode 5 - The Comeback

After weeks of technical problems and scheduling conflicts, Zarikov and I finally managed to scrape together an episode. You'll probably hate it!

RSS Feed
Show Twitter

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JR's interview with Bischoff was tremendously disappointing, mostly due to JR I'm sad to say. Maybe it's my own fault for buying into the "advertising", but JR said he and Bischoff were going to do in depth into the actual production/running of a wrestling promotion and instead we got a really shallow show where JR barely put his toe in the water before jumping to the next subject. Bischoff kind of meandered in his answers and JR kept moving on to different things, and just skimmed over huge patches of Bischoff's career. It was a real let-down, especially since I know JR can (and has!) done far better interviews.

Hopefully his Ted Dibiase interview next week is better, because he's promising to go into depth on Mid-South Wrestling and that could be really fascinating if done right.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Jerusalem posted:

JR's interview with Bischoff was tremendously disappointing, mostly due to JR I'm sad to say. Maybe it's my own fault for buying into the "advertising", but JR said he and Bischoff were going to do in depth into the actual production/running of a wrestling promotion and instead we got a really shallow show where JR barely put his toe in the water before jumping to the next subject. Bischoff kind of meandered in his answers and JR kept moving on to different things, and just skimmed over huge patches of Bischoff's career. It was a real let-down, especially since I know JR can (and has!) done far better interviews.

Hopefully his Ted Dibiase interview next week is better, because he's promising to go into depth on Mid-South Wrestling and that could be really fascinating if done right.

I've been getting increasingly bored with JR's podcast anymore, or at least the interviews. The Michelle Beadle one ended up really good, though it started going down the creepy path at the beginning. The opening segment where he goes over what's on his mind is kind of nice, though the complaints are starting to get kind of samey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Of the three wrestling podcasts I listen to, it's definitely the "least" of them. Austin I honestly could just listen talk about anything, while Jericho has probably the best interviews. Jericho's pre-show/post-show banter is usually pretty awful but his interviews are great and I like that he takes questions in person. JR in general sits in a middle ground, his discussion on his thoughts on the business are generally more interesting than Jericho's, his interviews are sometimes quite good but often just okay, and every so often he just delivers a real stinker like his Lita interview.

Austin's next show will be part 2 of his interview with Vader, and part 1 was excellent so I'm quite excited for that.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I just remembered that Austin's second interview with James Storm (which kind of fell apart, Storm seemed to run out of things to talk about) had Austin recommend that his viewers look up Storm's TNA matches on the WWE Network :xd:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BlueArmyMan posted:

I've been getting increasingly bored with JR's podcast anymore, or at least the interviews. The Michelle Beadle one ended up really good, though it started going down the creepy path at the beginning. The opening segment where he goes over what's on his mind is kind of nice, though the complaints are starting to get kind of samey.

Yeah I could listen to JR talk, maybe once a month so he's not repeating himself so much, just on the things that he's been thinking about. No interviews, just views and reviews.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Memento posted:

Yeah I could listen to JR talk, maybe once a month so he's not repeating himself so much, just on the things that he's been thinking about. No interviews, just views and reviews.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't listen to JR regularly. I remembered I got excited when I started listening to the Mick Foley interview because Foley was one of my favorite growing up but 40 minutes of JR rambling on about everything and talking about most things suck these days almost made me shut it off.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seriously I don't ever want to hear JR rant about stupid closed fists and one counts ever again. If I wanted to.hear the same ten lines between commercials and awful self promotion I'll sit through the parts of raw I currently skip.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Holy poo poo, Lance Storm's Batista story is the best. Listen to today's show for some good stories.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MassRafTer posted:

Holy poo poo, Lance Storm's Batista story is the best. Listen to today's show for some good stories.

I didn't think the Pisscast even let Lance talk, let alone tell whole stories.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

I didn't think the Pisscast even let Lance talk, let alone tell whole stories.

Lance Storm not the Food Lion Lance Erickson.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Which show is this?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is THAT the reason? Haha. gently caress him. Explains his super-clinical, money-over-all attitude. I mean, so Bryan was wrong, they aren't engaged?

Is it better to be Ric Flair, with a collection of broken marriages and massive alimony payments? If you're not right for marriage, being hesitant about marriage seems like a good plan.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Jerusalem posted:

Which show is this?

Today's Figure Four Daily with Bryan Alvarez. This was the best Lance show in a long time. Talked about his Raw match with the Rock, a Smackdown match with Triple H, and stories about Batista's early days on the main roster.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wazzu posted:

Is it better to be Ric Flair, with a collection of broken marriages and massive alimony payments? If you're not right for marriage, being hesitant about marriage seems like a good plan.

gently caress being either.

What's the Lance Storn story?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Part 2 of Steve Austin & Big Van Vader is up. I'd heard it often, but man, Leon's genuinely a nice guy.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Cena is very against marriage because he got caught cheating in previous marriage and he got taken to the cleaners in the divorce. So no.

What? I thought it was the opposite, he had the mother of all pre-nups which said he even got back the gifts he had given her.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like how Rock has dedicated writers and agents. :allears:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

mariooncrack posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't listen to JR regularly. I remembered I got excited when I started listening to the Mick Foley interview because Foley was one of my favorite growing up but 40 minutes of JR rambling on about everything and talking about most things suck these days almost made me shut it off.

Yeah, the JR podcast is pretty lovely on the whole. His rants are pretty much the same thing repeated ad nauseum, it feels like half the show is shilling for either the Podcast One sponsors or his one man show, most of his interviews come off as extremely lazy (in the case of Lita, creepy/lazy), and his disdain for "internet fans" gets rather tiresome. It's a shame because when it was announced he was getting a cast I was excited to hear it.

Austin's podcast is definitely the best, but I think going to two a week was a mistake as he's exhausting good guests/topics really fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, the JR podcast is pretty lovely on the whole. His rants are pretty much the same thing repeated ad nauseum, it feels like half the show is shilling for either the Podcast One sponsors or his one man show, most of his interviews come off as extremely lazy (in the case of Lita, creepy/lazy), and his disdain for "internet fans" gets rather tiresome. It's a shame because when it was announced he was getting a cast I was excited to hear it.

Austin's podcast is definitely the best, but I think going to two a week was a mistake as he's exhausting good guests/topics really fast.

Austin's podcast started as two a week I believe. It's always been Tuesdays and Thursdays. As for Ross, he's just Cornette levels of jaded and bitter. You can watch the early Full Sail NXT's and hear how little he cares about everything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought the story with Cena's divorce was that they fought a lot over renovations (which is a supposedly common cause of divorce).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why the gently caress doesn't Austin put all his shows on one feed, then only put the shitey censored ones on his shitebag feed?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ICHIBAHN posted:

Why the gently caress doesn't Austin put all his shows on one feed, then only put the shitey censored ones on his shitebag feed?

I don't think Austin is manually managing his RSS feeds

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For 'Austin' read 'Stacy' or podcast one. Whoever the gently caress.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

iTunes probably doesn't like that idk who cares

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It's a shame because you'd assume that Ross would be a good interviewer. He hosts a few of the Legends of Wrestling roundtables and is great there at interviewing those guests and keeping the conversation (He's arguably better than Mean Gene is), but that's like 5 years ago and apparantly a lot has happened since then. He's bitter and jaded, but he's doing alright. He should just loosen up. It's a surprise to me that both Austin and Jericho are far better interviewers than he is.

It's just a shame that so many of Austin's guests are done over Skype.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Arbite posted:

What? I thought it was the opposite, he had the mother of all pre-nups which said he even got back the gifts he had given her.

You can have a strict prenup and that doesn't mean it will stand up in court. They settled rather quickly so she probably got a nice chunk of change.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

njsykora posted:

Austin's podcast started as two a week I believe. It's always been Tuesdays and Thursdays. As for Ross, he's just Cornette levels of jaded and bitter. You can watch the early Full Sail NXT's and hear how little he cares about everything.

Yep, you are right about that. I forgot it was always two a week. I got confused because somewhere there he switched it up and added an "unleashed" show as the second one. Regardless, him cutting back to one show would probably be best for the long term. Entertaining as he may be, you can really tell when he's treading water because he doesn't have much to talk about.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Even if the pre-nup had held up, Cena and WWE absolutely did not want any bad stories about Cena's behavior or martial problems finding their way into public documents. It was in their best interests to settle quickly and keep it under the rug.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ICHIBAHN posted:

iTunes will give his show one of those explicit boxes that means you lose half your subscribers.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There would still be the second, clean feed that the Christians can subscribe to.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Last night's IMPACT made John Pollock and Wai Ting contemplate no longer covering the show and Bryan and Vinny on F4WOnline boycotting IMPACT for a month.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

rovert posted:

Last night's IMPACT made John Pollock and Wai Ting contemplate no longer covering the show and Bryan and Vinny on F4WOnline boycotting IMPACT for a month.

Guess I made the right decision watching the Finals instead.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

There would still be the second, clean feed that the Christians can subscribe to.

Considering that even the clean show has a few 'shits' and the occasional 'gently caress' that slips through, I wonder why it even really exists. Who's really listening to the Austin podcasts and thinking 'golly, this gentlesir swears too much for my delicate sensibilities' while presumably clutching at imaginary pearls?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The rest of the Vader interview was really good again, though they glossed over a fair amount of stuff. His story about the birth of his first child followed by a Bruiser Brody match was pretty drat great, and now I'll always regret that I never got to go to Harley Race's house and play pool in his basement.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Considering that even the clean show has a few 'shits' and the occasional 'gently caress' that slips through, I wonder why it even really exists. Who's really listening to the Austin podcasts and thinking 'golly, this gentlesir swears too much for my delicate sensibilities' while presumably clutching at imaginary pearls?

He actually made the decision to split the show because he got a not insignificant amount of feedback from people saying that they wanted to be able to listen to the show with their families on car-rides and the like but didn't feel like they could do that given his use of language. His whole thing is about appealing to as wide an audience as possible, which may be why he stopped cracking jokes about that testosterone supplement giving you a hard-on every time you saw a pair of tits.

He did draw the line when somebody complained about him using,"Jesus H. Christ!" as an exclamation though, that seemed to really piss him off :)

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

You can also sell ads differently for a "clean" podcast vs. a very not-clean one. He ran a few ads for the new Disney movie, Million Dollar Arm, and I think they were only on the clean version, cause Disney isn't advertising on a podcast where every third word is some version of an F bomb.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
AJ Styles on Chris Jericho's podcast was real interesting listen. AJ has very much done the rounds interview wise but he seems to open up more to a fellow Wrestler about his disappointments about TNA as a business. You get the underlying sense of disappointment on Jericho's end in TNA never fulfilling their potential and being an alternative employer for him. Recommended.

Sorry forgot to tell people to skip the first 20 minutes unless you like PodcastOne plugs and hockey.

rovert fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 6, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rovert posted:

AJ Styles on Chris Jericho's podcast was real interesting listen. AJ has very much done the rounds interview wise but he seems to open up more to a fellow Wrestler about his disappointments about TNA as a business. You get the underlying sense of disappointment on Jericho's end in TNA never fulfilling their potential and being an alternative employer for him. Recommended.

AJ can be criticized for a few things, but lack of loyalty isn't one of them. I earnestly feel bad that he never became the star he could have been, but the wrestling business is rarely the meritocracy we wish it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm like five minutes in and hahaha oh man he is just burying TNA.

• Locked thread