Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Oh, come on. Now you're just being stupid. You have all the Italianness you want in your life trust me.

There's always room for more Italianness. Also I've now seen three other Shivers in four years, so they're getting a bit too mainstream for my tastes.

(Luckily, of all things, my resolution to make sure my next bike has ABS is probably what will save me here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
And the rants never seem to end. I ordered a new carb + manifold + throttle cables from J&P and they want me to send them a credit card statement to verify it's not fraud. Problem is all my statements are online and none has all the info they want, and they are in Hebrew ...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Send them the Hebrew statement, let them figure it out :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

Send them the Hebrew statement, let them figure it out :v:

Haha that would be hilarious. Do it, and attach a note telling them to stop being such, uhh, jerks about it :v:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
I did send them the Hebrew statement, and I just got an e-mail that my payment cleared, and I will receive shortly an e-mail with tracking number for the shipment. Go figure it out :)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

adary posted:

I did send them the Hebrew statement, and I just got an e-mail that my payment cleared, and I will receive shortly an e-mail with tracking number for the shipment. Go figure it out :)

Almost got my ticket punched by a lady making an illegal maneuver today. Fortunately, I saw the cellphone in her hand when I noticed her at the intersection, and paid extra-close attention to her.

Ended up following her, and giving her a (firm but polite) talking to about cellphone usage and how she could have killed me very easily. Her excuse? "You blended right in".

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Akion posted:

"You blended right in".

PUT YOUR GODDAMN PHONE AWAY

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Akion posted:

Almost got my ticket punched by a lady making an illegal maneuver today. Fortunately, I saw the cellphone in her hand when I noticed her at the intersection, and paid extra-close attention to her.

Ended up following her, and giving her a (firm but polite) talking to about cellphone usage and how she could have killed me very easily. Her excuse? "You blended right in".

Man if you had smashed her mirror with your fist I would not even blame you

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

captainOrbital posted:

PUT YOUR GODDAMN PHONE AWAY

Ugh seriously this phone call is none of your business, besides if you are worried about safety why are you riding that thing in the first place? Motorcycles are so dangerous. It's your choice to ride that motorcycle.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Obama or the US Congress right now, but if they put in a nation-wide ban on cellphone use in cars (unless used with a legitimate hands-free setup) I'd call Obama the greatest president since FDR and happily stick up for congress in any debate.

It'll never happen because you're gonna have some butt-gently caress state full of libertarians pass a law calling for mandatory cellphone use in cars just to be the edgy teenage child of the federal government, but it's nice to dream.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Today is the second day in a row someone has snapped over without looking and driven me off of the road into the gutter. Yesterday I was lucky to get free when they passed before I hit a mailbox sticking out. The guy didn't even react, and actually lost speed so even my braking was matched and I had nowhere to go.

Today was some lady in a 7 series. Bus stopped in front of her and she just went from slowing behind it and snapping hard into my lane. Both days I had a car in front and in back, and couldn't go anywhere.

Needless to say, I'm still pretty furious, and wish I had broken the side mirror of yesterdays driver. At least the BMW lady gave me a "omg I'm so sorry" wave when I started going to town on her at the next light. Truck from yesterday? Lazy redneck slack jaw retard stare as I passed him on the other side.

How hard is it to just LOOK where you are moving your many ton death machine? HOW HARD?!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Coydog posted:

How hard is it to just LOOK where you are moving your many ton death machine? HOW HARD?!

I got hit from behind at a stop sign. By someone going at least 20 miles per hour. So it could be worse, all things considered. All they had to do was look forward.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Honestly, up until a year ago I probably would have screamed at her and smashed off a mirror. Thing is, all that really does is turn people against bikers ("Let me tell you about this random motorcyclist that assaulted me, which I totally didn't cut off").

Also, to be honest yelling at people and such just puts them on the defensive. Being polite and calm makes the guilt sink in deeper and stick with them longer, which is also why I pulled my helmet off. I think once people see an actual face instead of just a helmet, it also sinks in more that it's a person they almost just killed.

I liken it to when your parents were pissed at you as a child. What was worse? Getting yelled at for 30 seconds by your mom, or when your dad gave you that slow, measured "Son I am disappointed" talk?

Comedy option is that I print out some stock photos of a girl with a kid, and hand it to these people and be like "That's my wife and kid. You almost made them lose a husband/dad, you should hang onto that as a reminder."

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Akion posted:

I'm surprised she reacted so well, hell, that you were even able to catch up with her.

Last time a guy merged into me and drove me off into the median, all I could do was angrily lay on my horn. By the time I got back on the road and caught up with him he was in full panicked escape mode, and after a little bit of lane to lane cat and mouse, I decided it was better to give up and get away before he decided to quit running and just finish the job. I think I at least put a good scare into him.

I'm sure he has an entirely different version of events that he tells everyone else though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coydog posted:

Today is the second day in a row someone has snapped over without looking and driven me off of the road into the gutter. Yesterday I was lucky to get free when they passed before I hit a mailbox sticking out. The guy didn't even react, and actually lost speed so even my braking was matched and I had nowhere to go.

Today was some lady in a 7 series. Bus stopped in front of her and she just went from slowing behind it and snapping hard into my lane. Both days I had a car in front and in back, and couldn't go anywhere.

Needless to say, I'm still pretty furious, and wish I had broken the side mirror of yesterdays driver. At least the BMW lady gave me a "omg I'm so sorry" wave when I started going to town on her at the next light. Truck from yesterday? Lazy redneck slack jaw retard stare as I passed him on the other side.

One day you'll develop the telepathy you need to see that coming in advance and not be there in the first place. I am not joking.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Never ride directly next to a car, hang back and then scoot past when there's enough room in front. Even if they're looking you might still be in their blind spot.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I usually try to be where I can see the other driver in their side view mirror. Not foolproof, some people will look directly through you, but I figure a rung on the safety ladder is a rung on the safety ladder. Besides if I can see them in their side view, they're far enough ahead to not be a big deal when they jump lanes.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ShaneB posted:

I got hit from behind at a stop sign. By someone going at least 20 miles per hour. So it could be worse, all things considered. All they had to do was look forward.

I was stopped at a light over by O'Hare and I heard yelling to my right, and this lady in an ML-class was having the loudest cell phone argument.

Lately whenever I ride I have the phrases "rubbing her eyes/rubbing her phone" stuck in my head.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm surprised she reacted so well, hell, that you were even able to catch up with her.

Last time a guy merged into me and drove me off into the median, all I could do was angrily lay on my horn. By the time I got back on the road and caught up with him he was in full panicked escape mode, and after a little bit of lane to lane cat and mouse, I decided it was better to give up and get away before he decided to quit running and just finish the job. I think I at least put a good scare into him.

I'm sure he has an entirely different version of events that he tells everyone else though.

Honestly, if she hadn't stopped within a few blocks I wouldn't have kept following. I'm sure she was pretty panicked when the 6'2 dude in blacked out gear started following her (she ran a stop sign when I started following her). My guess is she told whoever she was on the phone with where she was and what was happening, because she didn't roll the window down until she was done talking and I had taken my helmet off and turned off my bike.

Like I said, up until recently I would have probably just kicked a quarter panel and driven off, but I figure I have a duty as a biker to make sure we don't give cagers any more reason to hate us. It's a lot harder for people to justify almost killing someone when they are polite than when they are aggressive. We don't need cagers calling the cops with sob stories about how a crazy biker totally attacked their car unprovoked.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yeah the last time I had somebody merge into my lane it was in rush hour. I had more room in front than in back so I braaaaaapped my way to a hole in traffic. When I looked in the mirror the guy was yelling and flicking me off. Guess he figured I split by him rather than just barely avoided being run over by him.

I don't ride next to cars or in blind spots when I can help it. I do tend to always have an out... Sometimes apparently it's offensive to 20 year old Toyota Corollas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

I have fantasized sometimes about designing some kind of steel brace structure that goes inside your jacket and distributes force from your fist to your chest and allows you to do just this, punching off people's mirrors as your ride by at 20 miles an hour, like modern-day jousting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Ugh seriously this phone call is none of your business, besides if you are worried about safety why are you riding that thing in the first place? Motorcycles are so dangerous. It's your choice to ride that motorcycle.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Obama or the US Congress right now, but if they put in a nation-wide ban on cellphone use in cars (unless used with a legitimate hands-free setup) I'd call Obama the greatest president since FDR and happily stick up for congress in any debate.

It'll never happen because you're gonna have some butt-gently caress state full of libertarians pass a law calling for mandatory cellphone use in cars just to be the edgy teenage child of the federal government, but it's nice to dream.

Don't worry. NZ banned cellphones in cars ages ago, it makes no difference whatsoever. Enforcement is slack, the public don't give two fucks, the whole thing was an enormous waste of time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's the same here. In fact it's even legal to sit at a stop light texting and stuff as long as the vehicle is stationary, which is a recipe for suddenly realizing the light is green and running me over after I've given up waiting on their right of way.

I like to use the law to my advantage by pleading moving violations down to cell phone tickets.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

It's the same here. In fact it's even legal to sit at a stop light texting and stuff as long as the vehicle is stationary, which is a recipe for suddenly realizing the light is green and running me over after I've given up waiting on their right of way.

I like to use the law to my advantage by pleading moving violations down to cell phone tickets.

Man I wish that worked here.

Moving Violation: $25
Cell Phone Violation: $250

NY really hates Cell Phones. (Doesn't stop the thousands of college kids here from rear ending people while they snapchat their dicks in the car.)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Digital_Jesus posted:

Man I wish that worked here.

Moving Violation: $25
Cell Phone Violation: $250

NY really hates Cell Phones. (Doesn't stop the thousands of college kids here from rear ending people while they snapchat their dicks in the car.)

I have a two tickets from the NYSP, one is for "parking on the freeway," the other is for not wearing a seatbelt.

I was riding a motorcycle. Of course both these tickets were cheap as poo poo, until NYS tacked on over $100 in "fees" fuckers are worse than ticketmaster.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

One day you'll develop the telepathy you need to see that coming in advance and not be there in the first place. I am not joking.

This is literally the single most important skill I have developed in life. It makes that year I spent delivering pizzas entirely worth it.

Last week I had a BMW come into my lane, but I already knew he was probably going to do that. Saved me from eating a wall at 75mph.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

I have a two tickets from the NYSP, one is for "parking on the freeway," the other is for not wearing a seatbelt.

I was riding a motorcycle. Of course both these tickets were cheap as poo poo, until NYS tacked on over $100 in "fees" fuckers are worse than ticketmaster.

Wait wait wait. What happened? They charged you with no seatbelt on a motorcycle?

Did you piss the dude off or something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

This is literally the single most important skill I have developed in life. It makes that year I spent delivering pizzas entirely worth it.

Last week I had a BMW come into my lane, but I already knew he was probably going to do that. Saved me from eating a wall at 75mph.

Yup, this. I don't know what subtle cues my brain uses as input data for this telepathy, but I rarely get caught off guard by retards anymore. Their behaviour is somehow just different enough that you know they're going to do something moronic before they do it.

I get a feeling of quiet satisfaction when I suddenly decide to brake or change lanes, seemingly without reason, and as I'm asking myself why I did that, some idiot swerves into my former lane/slams on his brakes/opens his door/whatever.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We refer to it as "being psychic" in my family.

Basically, once you've been riding (or driving, it works for anything, really) for a long time, you start noticing how people behave. That guy two cars up on your right, looking in the mirror. He's probably going to get over in front of you. The dude who's going slow in the left lane is probably going to pop over into the right lane. Someone obviously riding the rear end of the car in front of him is very likely to switch lanes really fast because he's in a hurry, etc.

It's just watching cues. Seeing people look in their side or rearview mirrors usually means they're trying to see if they can get over, stuff like that. Once you get psychic, riding a motorcycle becomes a lot safer.

Last night coming home I drove by the hospital (where I was born, no less!). I had a green light and was going about 35. An elderly person just pulled out from the side street (on his red light) about 10 feet in front of me. I braked hard, and did the "what the gently caress?" arm-raise. Dude wasn't even looking behind him, so that did nothing. 10' later he just starts slowly drifting into the left lane, no signal, slows down to a stop in the middle of the right lane in front of me, I guess waiting for someone in the left lane to make a hole for him. I waited for him to stop completely, then I gunned it around and past him as quick as I could. Fuckin' old people, man.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
RE: Being Psychic.

That's pretty much what saved me today. As soon as I saw the phone glued to the ladies face, it meant she got extra attention. One clue I've always looked for is damage to the car. Odds are if they have dents from backing into/side-swiping things, they are probably a careless/inattentive driver. Saved me from an idiot in a Mercedes a few months back.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Akion posted:

Wait wait wait. What happened? They charged you with no seatbelt on a motorcycle?

Did you piss the dude off or something?

Nah, opposite he was writing down a 25 over as a non-moving violation, I assume he went with "no seatbelt" because he had a sense of humor.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Dropped the VTR off for a service at the Honda dealer this morning and told the guy that I didn't really want the tyres done because

:smug: Oh, I've already ordered you the tyres. Look - Pilot Sport Demons!
:what: Uh... Pirelli Sport Demons. You said you weren't going to even order tyres until I had the bike here.
:smug: Yeah, but we'd talked in person and I thought I'd just order them anyway.

At this point, my hernia decides to flare up, and I decide to stop arguing to save myself some pain.

They called up this afternoon to let me know it was ready to be picked up, so I geared up and went to start the CBF250 they'd loaned me only to find the battery on it was dead. Attempted a couple of bump starts (ouch) and then managed to prise off enough plastics to get the battery hooked up to a charger.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That shop sounds bad. You should find another one.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
All shops are bad, by the time you've heard of a good one, it's now poo poo.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Eh, my local is shop's pretty good, did my chain and sprockets for less than I could find to buy them for and fixed an issue I had with my front brake for nothing.

I recommend him to everyone!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Ripoff posted:

I live in true blue liberal Connecticut and we have a state-wide cell phone and texting ban. It's a joke. Nobody obeys the law, even the cops. Can't tell you how many of the local po po I've seen yakking away into a phone while behind the wheel.

Although its expensive, being in Greenwich, CT, and independent shop near me is pretty good.

Marxalot posted:

It's amazing how it works too. I had a lady cut across three lanes of traffic to make a left turn from the right most lane on a one way, three lane street. It wasn't even a big deal, because ~something~ told me she was going to do something stupid. I was off the throttle and on the brakes before she even started her maneuver.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shouting Melon posted:

Dropped the VTR off for a service at the Honda dealer this morning and told the guy that I didn't really want the tyres done because

:smug: Oh, I've already ordered you the tyres. Look - Pilot Sport Demons!
:what: Uh... Pirelli Sport Demons. You said you weren't going to even order tyres until I had the bike here.
:smug: Yeah, but we'd talked in person and I thought I'd just order them anyway.

At this point, my hernia decides to flare up, and I decide to stop arguing to save myself some pain.

They called up this afternoon to let me know it was ready to be picked up, so I geared up and went to start the CBF250 they'd loaned me only to find the battery on it was dead. Attempted a couple of bump starts (ouch) and then managed to prise off enough plastics to get the battery hooked up to a charger.

Jesus christ

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ReelBigLizard posted:

All shops are bad, by the time you've heard of a good one, it's now poo poo.

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Eh, my local is shop's pretty good

It's now poo poo.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've done several tech jobs from Bus mechanic to Apple certified technician. If you're a good tech and take the time to fix things properly, your bosses will eventually look at your sheet and think "Hey, this guy only repairs 8 machines per day where as these two guys regularly fix 12+ for the same money". Accountants don't bother to look further, into things like how many of your repairs come back within 6 months. Thus you will be let go or moved onto other roles and the shop becomes poo poo again. It's happened to me, it's happened to friends, it happened to my local KTM dealer.

There is only one exception to the shops-are-poo poo rule; small part-time/for-the-love shops who don't have to account for what they do. Often these guys are an afore-mentioned "good tech" who's been bounced out of a job and taken enough customers with him to do part time work to support their own projects. Not that I'd know anything about that *cough* as such actions would surely be against any sane employment contract.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 5, 2014

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
There are about 2 shops in my area that aren't total poo poo and one of them I only use for tire mounting. Thankfully the second is owned by a friend of mine and has the machinery to do engine builds/etc real cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Went to get some food truck good eatin'. Standing there in atgatt awaiting samosas, this older dude's like "you hot in that? I don't even wear anything, just like a tshirt when I ride". I don't even say anything aside from "haha, yeahhh" anymore.

It is loving hot in gear though, that's the second part of my rant :supaburn: