Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Hugh, are... are you sure you want to phrase it like that? Rage really isn't a very good attack. Maybe you should unleash your Double-Edge instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Hugh, are... are you sure you want to phrase it like that? Rage really isn't a very good attack. Maybe you should unleash your Double-Edge instead?

I hope he faints from the recoil. :mad:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Given that it never stops ever, I'm guessing Hugh used Gen1 Rage at the beginning of the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shugojin posted:

Given that it never stops ever, I'm guessing Hugh used Gen1 Rage at the beginning of the game.
And he missed by about 4 years, so his accuracy's gone down to 1/256.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Zorak posted:

So. Anime.

Yeah.

I wonder who that voice actor is. He sounds familiar somehow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BattleCattle posted:

Yeah.

I wonder who that voice actor is. He sounds familiar somehow.

Weren't you paying attention? We already said it's Goku. Sean Schemmel.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Weren't you paying attention? We already said it's Goku. Sean Schemmel.
:thejoke:

Crosspeice posted:

But using Punishment twice instead of Swagger then Punishment deals more damage anyway. I guess that since the stat boost is permanent and the enemy rarely switches means in longer matches overall it works, but then you have to start again when the next Pokemon comes in, wasting more turns.

It's a bit iffy, but it works.
Personally, I've always preferred Foul Play on Mandibuzz, but that's either breeding or tutor only, so we'll see.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of hilarious where the Plasma grunt laughs at you for believing in your Pokemon, and then it evolves and one-shots the next guy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Glazius posted:

It's kind of hilarious where the Plasma grunt laughs at you for believing in your Pokemon, and then it evolves and one-shots the next guy.

Somehow multiple people in the Pokemon world utterly fail to make the connection that taking good care of your battle-pets means they'll be stronger and better at battling.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Somehow multiple people in the Pokemon world utterly fail to make the connection that taking good care of your battle-pets means they'll be stronger and better at battling.

I'm pretty sure Pokemon has the record for "Lowest Average IQ" of any video game universe out there. It's not just the Teams.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...

Pureauthor posted:

It's interesting that the team leaders usually treat their Pokemon well, in contrast to their grunts. Three of them have Crobats and the only one who's implied to be abusive is Ghetsis. Their underlings are just too stupid and incompetent to realize they should treat their superpowered monsters with care.

Also, Hugh is unbearable. I actually like dumb shonen stuff but he's just too dumb and shonen-y.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
This is a long shot, but I get the feeling that someone in the translation intentionally wrote Hugh's lines that way. You know, putting the Nolan-Batman line in (Where's my sister's Purrloin?! Where is she?!)

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

ArcadePark posted:

This is a long shot, but I get the feeling that someone in the translation intentionally wrote Hugh's lines that way. You know, putting the Nolan-Batman line in (Where's my sister's Purrloin?! Where is she?!)

Now I have to go back and read all of Hugh's lines in the Nolan-Batman voice. Thanks.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Now I have to go back and read all of Hugh's lines in the Nolan-Batman voice. Thanks.

How bout a mix of Goku and Batman?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Lobsterhead posted:

It's interesting that the team leaders usually treat their Pokemon well, in contrast to their grunts. Three of them have Crobats and the only one who's implied to be abusive is Ghetsis. Their underlings are just too stupid and incompetent to realize they should treat their superpowered monsters with care.

Also, Hugh is unbearable. I actually like dumb shonen stuff but he's just too dumb and shonen-y.

If I were trying to make a golbat happy I'd just let it kick the poo poo out of stuff and drink blood.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The process for making pokemon happy is literally just have them with you a lot and don't gently caress up all the goddamn time. I don't think it's hard to see why the team leaders might have a crobat or two.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Chorocojo posted:

If I were trying to make a golbat happy I'd just let it kick the poo poo out of stuff and drink blood.

Formula for success: Don't be a dick to your pokémon. Be a dick to everything else.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Frocobo posted:

I'm pretty sure Pokemon has the record for "Lowest Average IQ" of any video game universe out there. It's not just the Teams.
And that's if you take all those Alakazams into account.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pyroi posted:

Is it just me, or is that Goku? If Hugh has sounded like Goku this whole time, then that changes everything. We can just assume he watches too much anime, and thus says stupid things believing they sound cool, to the point where he sounds like Goku whenever he tries it.

: EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S DRAGON BALL Z AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GOKU.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Silegna posted:

How bout a mix of Goku and Batman?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

My god it's beautiful. I want it as my avatar, but well, I can't get it yet.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Silegna posted:

My god it's beautiful. I want it as my avatar, but well, I can't get it yet.

'ask and ye shall receive' it seems :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

'ask and ye shall receive' it seems :v:

Holy crap, to whoever did that, thank you! And yes, that quote is awesome.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Wow, I'm shaking with envy for that avatar. I don't think I can find a better avatar than Goku-Batman.

Maybe Vegeta-Superman is a close second?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#24. Progress then Backup

Music: Unova Route 6 - Spring/Summer

A pirate ship. Of COURSE a pirate ship gets involved. A pirate ship with ninjas. Great. GREAT.

Choro Notes: Once again, there is a breeder on this route. The B2W2 trait of getting re-flagged to challenge when you leave the route is obnoxious. More importantly! Do you see the Hidden Grotto?

Choro Notes: Great. The rare monster in this grotto is the admittedly easy to find Dunsparce. Dunsparce is also just found in rustling grass on an earlier route as well as here on Route 6! Dunsparce's hidden ability is Rattled. You're better off with Serene Grace, really. . .

Choro Notes: Wild Castform can be found on this route in the shaking grass.

Choro Notes: When weather changes, Castform changes form and type. This one took advantage of the rain and its new water-type to . . . use Ember. Honk.

- - -

Oh jeez. Here Jawnie, you answer it.

quote:

???: Hi . . . Is this Vinny?
: Myeh?
???: . . .
: Mweh.
???: Really? So you like Steel-type Pokémon, Vinny?
: Mwyehhhhh.
???: Many of them are cute, aren't they?
: M-Myeh?
???: . . .
: . . .
???: Oops! My colleague is calling me. I have to get back to work! Good-bye.
: Well? She say anything of note?
: Mweh.

- - -

Choro Notes: If you remember this route from the previous game, you know that some of the items scattered around . . .

Choro Notes: . . . are really Foongus.

Music: Cheren's Theme - B2W2 Version

Whatup, C?

Oh god it smells like deer in here.

Well that's not that bad.

Ok, yeah, no. I was wrong, that's bad.

and Driftveil City."

Yeah, there's no way they aren't connected.

Geh!

Yeah, Yeah I've noticed. Peace out.

- - -

I'm good. This whole room smells like deer. I will never get this scent out of my brain.

Choro Notes: The Deerling is special in that it has its hidden ability, Serene Grace.

It's got a good color. Kinda wanna paint one of these.

of how Pokémon evolve."
Never heard of 'em. Never met a Professor, to be honest. Just that weird Bianca girl.

- - -

Choro Notes: The only monster I have that can learn Surf at the moment is Azurill. We'll teach it that and try to get something . . . well, better. In the mean time I can do this!

Yup! Glad I did that!

I look ridiculous.

Wh—

. . .

What in the gently caress just happened?

Rood what just happened? Am I some sort of chosen one? Why did its legs move like that? Is it wearing boots?

What? No. You must have me confused with some other handsome person.

You're not answering ANY of my questions, Rood.

people started . . ."

to dire consequences for their world."

Hey that's what my question was a minute ago!

Is it me? Am I the problem? It's not my Mawile is it? I mean she's an rear end in a top hat but—

warping the lives of all it touches . . . "

Man that thing has horns and a moustache. It is way more qualified to solve this than I am.

on your journey.
Nnngh.

- - -

. . . cute.

Choro Notes: This kid gives you a Shiny Stone in Black/White as well! Which is all well and good because THIS time!

Drawing by Drake Lake & CowsGoMoose

- - -

Choro Notes: The Fling TM's back here now. Well enough. Never really used this.

Oh you're cool looking. I like the black on red on green. Enough so that . . .

Your name is Redjru and you are replacing this tiny, armless mouse that is pulling me around.

Choro Notes: There's something of note here! Do you see it?

Route 6 is odd because it has TWO hidden grottos.

Choro Notes: Great. The rare monster in this grotto is Nosepass. Nosepass's hidden ability is Sand Force. Good luck!

Choro Notes: As for the cave?

Choro Notes: Mistralton Cave's only things of note in Black2/White2 are Axew, the Rock Slide TM and Aron. Cobalion no longer appears within it and aside from the TM and the monsters only found there, it's entirely negligible. Meanwhile, while we have Surf now. Let's backtrack to a previous area!

Music: Virbank Complex

Choro Notes: Remember how I said you could re-access the Sewers from Relic Passage?

Choro Notes: In Spring and Summer, the sewers fill with water and these barriers become floating platforms.

Choro Notes: And with Surf you can get to areas you couldn't before. The whole area is a winding maze full of Zubat, Rattata and Grimer. Wonderful.

Choro Notes: The Torment TM is in here but, like Fling, it's pretty substandard.

Choro Notes: You can get a Black Sludge here without farming the Grimer for it. It functions like Leftovers for poison-types, it restores HP each turn if a poison-type holds it, but does the opposite to non-Poison types.

That raises . . . questions.

Choro Notes: Towards the northwest corner of the sewers you can find an exit to a new area:

Urban decay. Reminds me of home.

Oh yeah, definitely like home.

Whoa whoa whoa. You wanna go? We can go. We can go all day if you want! Let's go!

Music: Unova Trainer Battle

Oh I'm gonna!

Lookit ya' ya lot with ya' uggo shoes.

Ya place is already trashed!

'Ey you! Broad with the guitar. You th— hold on.

You the leader of this get up?

drat right!

Simple as that. Shoot, I'm not even sure what came over me there.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go crazy here.

Little J's second-in-command.

quote:

Television Kid - A Medal given to today's children who get absorbed in television and can't help watching it.
Castelia Boss - A Medal for those who became the leader of the pack in Castelia City.
Magikarp Award - A Medal to praise the guts of Trainers who kept using Splash no matter what.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I did not know that event in Castellia existed.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Onmi posted:

I found it out grinding before the 7th Gym, I think. They... did not last very long.

Also oh my gosh Jawnie with those glasses. :3:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Onmi posted:

Same here. Is there a reward for it beyond the Black Glasses? That's a cute Krookodile wall tag if nothing else. And I hope you keep Basculin around! Little hate-filled murderfish needs more love.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Same here. Is there a reward for it beyond the Black Glasses? That's a cute Krookodile wall tag if nothing else. And I hope you keep Basculin around! Little hate-filled murderfish needs more love.

quote:

quote:

Castelia Boss - A Medal for those who became the leader of the pack in Castelia City.

So no, not really.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Chorocojo posted:

I look ridiculous.

That looks familiar.

e: I was reading the Emerald LP recently, which is the only reason I recalled it.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I never thought Pokémon would be effective secretaries until today.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
Basculin is a brutal monster for what is basically the Tentacool/Magikarp/Wingull of this game

Hate powered kill fish.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mecheon posted:

Basculin is a brutal monster for what is basically the Tentacool/Magikarp/Wingull of this game

Hate powered kill fish.

I think a better description is that Basculin is a brutal monster for a non-legendary single stage pokemon. Tentacruel and Gyarados are terrifying, and even Pelipper is decently strong. But most single-stage 'mon are just shy of terrible, and the fact that Basculin is perfectly usable even without jumping through hoops says a fair bit in its favor. Sure, it's not competitive material, but a good 550 of the 600ish pokemon around in B2W2 aren't.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 6, 2014

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

Neither did I. Possibly because gently caress the sewers.

Also hey, it's the source of my avatar. Still love Basculin just for looking like it's angry at everyone and everything. Being a murderfish is just a bonus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I didn't know about the event or that the sewers flooded. Seasonal events are really dumb. Also gently caress going back into the sewers but that goes without saying.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

I think a better description is that Basculin is a brutal monster for a non-legendary single stage pokemon.
Nah, it's pretty good. Really, the biggest reason it's not great in competition is that everything it does, Sharpedo does it better. (Also, its Attack is only Pretty Good.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Another person that didn't know that Castelia event existed, here. Pretty pointless too, but hey, a medal! Medals are cool. I wish medals were back in-game next gen (or for ORAS, I guess), because having to check them online is annoying.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Man, I was the only person to fully explore areas and stuff. The sewers are easy to get through with plenty of Repels, though in your first time through, you might not have bought enough. Still, having more areas to explore when the seasons change is pretty cool, as the seasons are very easy to change. Alas, another thing dropped in XY, but understandable. Perhaps they could return for the region of weather? Eh? Eh?

Also nth'ing the inclusion of Basculin, one of the last Unova Pokemon created due to very few fish like Pokemon in the Pokedex.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Basculin is a rather weird Pokemon. Not because of it's design or anything but because of it's rather odd gimmick.

Basculin come in two different forms - Red Stripe and Blue Stripe and their Abilities... Well let me just copy the relevant information over from Bulbapedia:

quote:

In Black and White, Blue-Striped Basculin have the same two standard possible Abilities as Red-Striped Basculin—Reckless and Adaptability (and is listed as such in Pokédex 3D); however, the Blue-Striped Basculin that can be obtained via in-game trade in White has the Ability Rock Head. In Black 2 and White 2, wild Blue-Striped Basculin's two standard possible Abilities are Rock Head and Adaptability, while Red-Striped Basculin's stay the same (and are listed as such in Pokédex 3D Pro). However, Blue-Striped Basculin bred in Black 2 and White 2 have Reckless and Adaptability as their two standard Abilities. When a Blue-Striped Basculin with Reckless is transferred from Generation V to Generation VI, its Ability is changed to Rock Head.

It got a bit confusing there for a while.

Another fun thing to note about Basculin is the fact that in the wild they have a 1/20 chance to be holding one of Clamperl's evolutionary items, the Deep Sea Tooth and the Deep Sea Scale.

:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
I remember finding the Castelia Crew, I spent way too long there thinking there was more to it than Blackglasses and a Medal. Maybe I shoulda used Strength on that truck...

• Locked thread