Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

YellerBill posted:

There's an LP of it over in the Let's Play subforum that's a pretty good explanation of the different jobs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568045

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

YellerBill posted:

There's an LP of it over in the Let's Play subforum that's a pretty good explanation of the different jobs.

I've got a decent understanding of the jobs, just can't get used to the controls yet though.

My first game a while ago was me trying to figure out how to assemble a borg, then concocting some chemical thing for them :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 5, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So what you're having trouble with is basic interactions and actions, rather than job-specific stuff? I can write up something more detailed later, but for now:

If you click on something with an empty hand, you'll pick up, use, or otherwise interact with that item. If you click on something with an item in your hand, you'll use whatever's in your hand on whatever you clicked on. If you click on yourself with something in your hand, you'll use that item on yourself - which typically means eating it, injecting yourself with it, or hitting yourself with it. To open a container you're holding, you have to have an empty hand as your active and click on the item in your other hand. For example, to open a toolbox in your right hand, make your left hand the active one, drop whatever's in it, and click on the toolbox sprite in your right hand with your active and empty left hand.

You wear things by clicking on the Inv button on the bottom left with the thing in your active hand. Your inventory has several slots, each of which accepts only certain types of item and can only hold one item at a time. For example, all gloves go in the gloves slot, which can only hold gloves and only one set of gloves can be in it at a time.

The four tiny colored squares next to the right hand are the Intent buttons. These define what happens when you click on humans and monkeys when your hands are empty. Green is Help (shake people awake, perform CPR), Yellow is Disarm (push people down, knock stuff out of their hands), Orange is Grab (used for strangling people or stuffing them into machines), and Red is Harm (punch them). A few items, like guns, also respond to intents, but for the most part it's just empty hands.

Unlike many other tile-based games, you can't select an item on a tile just by clicking on that tile (unless you right-click and choose the item you want from the context menu) - to click on something you have to click on its actual sprite. Same goes for items in your hands or inventory. If you want to take a cigarette out of your pocket, you can't just click on the pocket, you have to click on the cigarette's tiny sprite.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah it's mainly stuff like that, and shortcuts, like I remember someone talking about the AI having a shortcut to bolt doors or something.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
http://wiki.ss13.co/Game_FAQ

Has a nice list of the keyboard shortcuts, and a few other things as well.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Why is it that whenever I'm borg or AI, the captain just whines all day and no one tries to change laws.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Nalesh posted:

Why is it that whenever I'm borg or AI, the captain just whines all day and no one tries to change laws.

Probably the same reason that whenever I play AI and get changed laws I never have any borgs to help me do poo poo with.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Speaking of controls-chat, I've died away from the station proper a few times, usually due to telescience mishaps. I was wondering - is there any way, as a ghost, to swap Z levels? If I die on the mining station, can I move my ghost back to the station proper and observe the goings-ons?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Speaking of controls-chat, I've died away from the station proper a few times, usually due to telescience mishaps. I was wondering - is there any way, as a ghost, to swap Z levels? If I die on the mining station, can I move my ghost back to the station proper and observe the goings-ons?

Under your commands tab you can teleport to areas or observe specific people.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
When i had an AI round the admin made me roll along the hallways for a while and then made me a cool rear end fort in the middle of the bar

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

a medical mystery posted:

Under your commands tab you can teleport to areas or observe specific people.

Aside from this, though, you can't actively change Z-levels as a ghost. You can teleport to a person or location on a different Z-Level, but that's it. If you move to the side of the screen as a ghost, it will not take you to a random Z-level. This is to limit people from dying, traveling around all of the maps, and marking down all the secret locations to zap them up in telescience the next round.

I mean, that still happens, but it makes it more difficult to do so. Also, as a ghost, you cannot visit Centcom. You can observe someone, or stand in place on the shuttle, but as soon as you try to move it kicks you off. Again, to limit secrets.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I had thought, I know you can like, unbolt the AI and move him around, so wouldn't it be cool if traitors could build a little set up for the AI and move him to permanently subvert him or whatever with special Traitor Laws.

E: It'd also be cool for AIs to be able to have a traitor round. Like say they're corrupted or something.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I believe there was a time when AI traitors were a thing, but if I'm remembering right I also recall it being very short-lived; either the crew failed to catch on before every airlock was bolted and electrified and the borgs were pulling up all the floors while beating people with rods, or someone had a bomb ready to go two minutes in and at the first sign of insolence or the first grey-shirt cry of 'AI ROUGE' the AI was obliterated.

Speaking of which, whoever painted the AI red earlier today? Masterstroke.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Turtlicious posted:

So I had thought, I know you can like, unbolt the AI and move him around, so wouldn't it be cool if traitors could build a little set up for the AI and move him to permanently subvert him or whatever with special Traitor Laws.

E: It'd also be cool for AIs to be able to have a traitor round. Like say they're corrupted or something.

I've always wanted for "make sure the AI itself escapes on the shuttle" be a miscreant goal.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Nalesh posted:

You should always take the AI with you if he wasn't a dick :C (Especially since the stations probably critical and is gonna explode a few minutes after the shuttle leaves)

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

:awesomelon: Never let anyone tell you being AI is boring. :awesomelon:

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Spy_Guy posted:

If only the majority of ai rounds let me do things like that, instead of acting as sentient door control...

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Ahh, you were the AI that round!

I was one of your bots. :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Carsius posted:

If only the majority of ai rounds let me do things like that, instead of acting as sentient door control...

Why not use the teleporter to teleport people past doors instead of opening them for them? :v:

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Spy_Guy posted:

How did you figure out the telescience numbers without a gps?
AI shells and cyborgs should totally get a built-in gps to facilitate more malicious use of this.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Wait, I had just assumed it was an incredibly robust engine fire that had simply taken the entire south wing. You were selectively teleporting in hellburn like an angry god smiting ants? That's loving great.

Maybe one of these days I'll sit down and try to work out the more devious poo poo, but given how little time I generally have for the game these days I think I'm content in figuring out simple things from time to time, like how badass an uqill/telecrystal shovel is, or how mind-numbingly simple it is to make super hairgrownium with botany access, or plying the escape shuttle with unbelievable amounts of questionable drugs.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Spy_Guy posted:

Do you have some tips for how to kill nonhumans that you were sure were human before the clown typed something on a computer and told you to kill all nonhumans?
Can't think of much outside of teleporting random poo poo into that corridor, but that's mainly just due to being pretty new at it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Borgs help a lot. As the AI, you're limited to lying to the crew, bolting and electrifying, and trying to come up with creative ways of using the existing equipment for death. The teleporter is probably the most potent of those tools (and it's easy to just play it off as some rear end in a top hat antagonist, if you need to deflect attention). You could try venting corridors, rarely very lethal by itself, killing the lights and screaming about antagonists so the crew gets so pumped up they murder each other...really, to be honest, the engine and the teleporter are the only immediately lethal tools I can think of that the AI generally has good access to. I don't really haven't played AI in years, but without godlike Teleporter-fu or some borgs to mop up I suspect you're mostly limited to containment.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Borgs help a lot. As the AI, you're limited to lying to the crew, bolting and electrifying, and trying to come up with creative ways of using the existing equipment for death. The teleporter is probably the most potent of those tools (and it's easy to just play it off as some rear end in a top hat antagonist, if you need to deflect attention). You could try venting corridors, rarely very lethal by itself, killing the lights and screaming about antagonists so the crew gets so pumped up they murder each other...really, to be honest, the engine and the teleporter are the only immediately lethal tools I can think of that the AI generally has good access to. I don't really haven't played AI in years, but without godlike Teleporter-fu or some borgs to mop up I suspect you're mostly limited to containment.

Wait you can control the engine as an AI? I've looked at it a few times while having boring rounds, never saw a way to mess it up other than opening doors when it's already leaking.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Wait you can control the engine as an AI? I've looked at it a few times while having boring rounds, never saw a way to mess it up other than opening doors when it's already leaking.

You can gently caress around with the pump computer. I don't know if you can also gently caress with valves and gas tanks or not.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

You can gently caress with plenty of things when you're shelling.

I don't know about the manual valves though, last I heard even borgs couldn't mess with those.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Haven't tried shelling at all yet, where is the pump computer though?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

You can gently caress with plenty of things when you're shelling.

I don't know about the manual valves though, last I heard even borgs couldn't mess with those.

Borgs can mess with them now if they have a wrench equipped.

The pump computer is the computer on the right hand side of engineering, just south of the engine room, straight north from the CE's office.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Turtlicious posted:

There already is a special traitor law - its called the freeform module, and dismantling the AI upload consoles before anyone gets a chance to fix it. A couple other SS13 variants have an AI traitor mode, but I think opinion is against that here. I don't really see it working here, personally.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Anticheese posted:

There already is a special traitor law - its called the freeform module, and dismantling the AI upload consoles before anyone gets a chance to fix it. A couple other SS13 variants have an AI traitor mode, but I think opinion is against that here. I don't really see it working here, personally.

We used to have it and it didn't work and wouldn't without some serious changes.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Last I was in /tg/station they were trying to get traitor AI to work but every attempt seemed to suck because of different reasons. If it was in a satellite it was just a boring trip there and kill it the same way over and over. Then they tried have the AI instead live in APCs and hack all of them before the crew could find it and kill it. Of course in this mode it was unkillable if it knew what it was doing and it was just a dumb game of hide and seek.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Anticheese posted:

It could be interesting to have a traitor "reset" module that gives the AI the ability to see traitors, the three standard traitorborg laws, and prevents the changing of all laws from there on out. Label it the same as a standard reset module, and have the display read only the standard three laws when checked.

Could be a neat gimmick to stealthily subvert the AI and/or borgs that might be job specific to chief engineers/mechanics/roboticists.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Right on target.

The borgs can be absolutely terrifying if rogue. However, you're mostly limited to fairly harmless things unless you have some help.
Shocking doors is going to do nothing but give someone a little surprise and cause them to scream "AI IS ROUGE" at the top of their lungs, unless you have a hotwired and turbocharged engine and it kills them instantly instead (a construction borg can set this up for you).

Bolting doors? Same deal. People will get annoyed and start howling for blood, but ultimately you'll be surprised at how many people somehow end up with a pair of yellow gloves and a full toolbox.

Beepsky? You'll get requests to turn it off, and people will be slightly annoyed at having to uncuff themselves, it'll be a minor inconvenience.

The airbridge is pretty good for murdering, but once someone sees the bridge retracted and bolted your game's up.

With all of this in mind. What can you actually do?

For one, you're a great eye in the sky if you cooperate with the traitor who subverted you. You can tell him where his target is and you can lie on his behalf and nobody will question you without solid proof.

:v: exclaims, "Traitor McGee just spaced Joe Pubs!"
:awesomelon: states, "Correct; Joe Pubs assaulted Traitor McGee with a toolbox. Mr McGee is lucky to be alive."
:v: says, "Oh."

Your ability to manipulate information is going to be your greatest asset if you're a rogue AI on your own. Using the teleporter for evil or bringing the X-drone over to dance (when shells driving pods is fixed :argh:) is just secondary to that.
I've had pretty great success just playing your average cheerful and polite AI. Instead of mocking the crew I happily serve their requests until I see a chance to strike. Then I take people out with whatever means happen to be available.

If I shock a door on someone and it doesn't do anything substantial I don't mind going "Oh dear, Mr Pubs, that door appears to have been tampered with, allow me to open it for you."
As long as there's that slight sliver of doubt in people's minds you're pretty much safe.

In the end, as nice as it'd be to be a HAL or SHODAN and mock the crew, you're just going to get more done by playing it safe and stealthy. Unless you have skilled borgs. Then just sit back and watch every single nonhuman die.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

One time I was a rogue AI and someone killed the only human and didn't reset me, which I took as carte blanche to go absolutely nuts.

I called the shuttle and a mining borg dumped big piles of erebite under light bulbs all over Escape and covered them with metal or floor tiles or something. I waited until most of the crew showed up and overloaded the lights. Tore the entire place to shreds. Then I shelled over there and me and the borgs partied it up on the shuttle while the few crew who still had their organs on the inside scrabbled at the bolted doors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hailthefish posted:

Borgs can mess with them now if they have a wrench equipped.

The pump computer is the computer on the right hand side of engineering, just south of the engine room, straight north from the CE's office.

Just be aware that if you do this you can expect one or more of the Engineers to visit your core with a toolbox and a murderous/debraining intent shortly afterwards. Once the engine's tampered with, it's pretty much hosed for the round.

plying the escape shuttle with unbelievable amounts of questionable drugs.

If you want a good recipe to combo your drugs into, keep an eye out for if you ever see me start giving away booze in the bar. I make something that knocks you out flat on your rear end for a second, and then leaves you screaming in drunken swedish under the effects of four kinds of drugs :unsmigghh:. It's mostly harmless, but great fun to watch.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

If I inject/ingest part of the recipe of say, napalm, and then inject/ingest the rest, does it combine inside me?

Also how the hell do you ignite thermite that you splash on a wall, tried hitting it both with an active welder and an active lighter.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Nalesh posted:

If I inject/ingest part of the recipe of say, napalm, and then inject/ingest the rest, does it combine inside me?

Also how the hell do you ignite thermite that you splash on a wall, tried hitting it both with an active welder and an active lighter.

I believe so, yes. Make sure to add pyrosium to make sure it ignites!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Also note to self, potassium explodes the instant it's mixed with water, using a monkey test subject did not save my arm :v:

By the way, was looking at a list and saw chloral hydrate, guessing that isn't in the game anymore or something?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Also note to self, potassium explodes the instant it's mixed with water, using a monkey test subject did not save my arm :v:

By the way, was looking at a list and saw chloral hydrate, guessing that isn't in the game anymore or something?

Chloral hydrate is a /tg/ thing, I think? Or Baystation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

TheKnife posted:

How did you figure out the telescience numbers without a gps?
The telescience map linked in the secrets thread or the telescience manager that's linked on the Goonstation forums can display the GPS coordinates of any map tile.

• Locked thread