Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

minidracula posted:

*vocaloid stuff*
Are you intending to use it for Japanese or English though? The system is build on "characters" (personas?), and only two of them seem to work in English; the original Hatsune Miku (which sounds extremely creepy) and the newer "megpoid" that... honestly sounds quite good. It has a pretty strong Japanese accent though, interestingly.

e: Right, it's just a bunch of samples of some singer morphed around to create words. She has an accent so the vocaloid does too.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sizone posted:

What the gently caress do you think student loans are for?

Ugh, don't remind me. I haven't even started school yet and I'm already $60k in the hole.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I was looking into vocaloids too, and what I got out of it is that almost all of them don't work on Mac unless you buy Vocaloid for Cubase. My interest dipped after that.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3S8Xkdn_Pc

Don't snort cocaine just before recording a product video, kids.

Your Computer posted:

Are you intending to use it for Japanese or English though? The system is build on "characters" (personas?), and only two of them seem to work in English; the original Hatsune Miku (which sounds extremely creepy) and the newer "megpoid" that... honestly sounds quite good. It has a pretty strong Japanese accent though, interestingly.

e: Right, it's just a bunch of samples of some singer morphed around to create words. She has an accent so the vocaloid does too.

Vocaloid is internally built entirely around the Japanese linguistic system of chaining phonemes so making it "sing" other languages can be very entertainingly/painfully strange!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

minidracula posted:

Never mind, I just went to re-read the Wikipedia page, and it seems like you need at least a singer library (male or female) in a minimum of whatever language(s) you want singing done in, along with the score editor and synthesis engine. I don't know what I found so confusing some months back; maybe the Wikipedia page became clearer, or maybe I'm just reading closer now. It does seem like you'd have to buy (looking at http://www.vocaloid.com/en/lineup/vocaloid3/) at least the "VOCALOID 3 Editor" package and one of the "VOCALOID 3 Library" packages to do anything with it. Still tempts me...
The Vocaloid Editor for Cubase does seem to be the way to go. I bought it somewhat blind. The editor's UI is in English (yay!) but the official documentation is Japanese (boo!). I don't think they even list it for sale on their English language site. (I got mine via a gray market seller on Amazon Marketplace.)

It's true that most of the vocaloids are not intended for English, but the number of English language versions is growing. You have to look around a bit, though. I think Best Service has some that aren't (or at least weren't) on the Vocaloid Wiki.

The vocaloids that I've seen recently come with "mini" versions of Vocaloid 3 if you don't already have the Cubase Editor or the standalone product. I haven't messed with them, but those appear to come with English documentation. The mini version does appear to be Windows only (at least in the packages I've looked into), but I don't know whether that means that the actual vocaloid library itself is necessarily PC only. I really just don't know.

I haven't messed with the editor yet other than to see that it installed properly. I will employ it the next time I do a song that calls for female vocals.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ynohtna posted:

Vocaloid is internally built entirely around the Japanese linguistic system of chaining phonemes so making it "sing" other languages can be very entertainingly/painfully strange!

Well that's the thing, the "English" versions are built to be English, but using a combination of several samples and then morphing between them. You could still do "sort-of-English" with Romanized Japanese (ai rabu yuu - I love you) for an approximation with any of the others, but it would kinda sound like crap (and even unintelligible to anyone who doesn't know how Japanese works). I think this sort of thing (vocaloids) inherently works better with Japanese, with their relatively strict consonant-vowel form. (I have no idea what any of this is called in English, I studied it for a while in Norwegian :gay:)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Your Computer posted:

Radiapathy posted:

The Vocaloid Editor for Cubase does seem to be the way to go. I bought it somewhat blind. The editor's UI is in English (yay!) but the official documentation is Japanese (boo!). I don't think they even list it for sale on their English language site. (I got mine via a gray market seller on Amazon Marketplace.)

It's true that most of the vocaloids are not intended for English, but the number of English language versions is growing. You have to look around a bit, though. I think Best Service has some that aren't (or at least weren't) on the Vocaloid Wiki.

The vocaloids that I've seen recently come with "mini" versions of Vocaloid 3 if you don't already have the Cubase Editor or the standalone product. I haven't messed with them, but those appear to come with English documentation. The mini version does appear to be Windows only (at least in the packages I've looked into), but I don't know whether that means that the actual vocaloid library itself is necessarily PC only. I really just don't know.

I haven't messed with the editor yet other than to see that it installed properly. I will employ it the next time I do a song that calls for female vocals.
After posting, I did some light searching, and found these two English ones that sounded interesting and not totally awful in their demo songs:

AVANNA
http://www.zero-g.co.uk/store/vocaloid-avanna-p502.php
http://avanna-vocaloid.com/demos/

OLIVER
http://powerfx.com/products/oliver

It's a Wikia wiki, but http://vocaloid.wikia.com/ seems to be an OK place to get some information on third-party Vocaloids that Yamaha doesn't advertise on their site, especially English ones for Vocaloid 3 and Vocaloid 2.

I think I would pick up the full Vocaloid 3 Editor from Yamaha and then one of those to start with, probably AVANNA at first, based on what I've heard so far.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't Vocaloid have some massively draconian license agreement that means that anything you make with it belongs to them, though? I thought I'd heard that.

Realitone has released a vocal library called Realivox Blue that sounds pretty decent. It runs in Kontakt or Kontakt Player. I got it with the introductory sale a week ago. My only complaint so far is the lack of short "a" and short "i" sounds (as in "cat" and "dick", respectively). You can use "eh" or "ah" for the short "a" sometimes, and "ee" for short "i", but it's not perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDHaTz62Fs

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Doesn't Vocaloid have some massively draconian license agreement that means that anything you make with it belongs to them, though? I thought I'd heard that.
No, it IS more restrictive than the license for a VST, but it's pretty similar to the kind of license you get with most sample libraries... except for one really weird clause.

Mainly they just don't want you making certain kinds of commercial products with it, which is the same with sample libraries. So no reselling the phoneme samples, and they specifically call out ringtones and karaoke disc background vocals as prohibited uses.

The weird part is where they say you're basically not allowed to use the synthesized voices to record illegal or offensive content (so any of you guys planning to program your ransom demands as Hatsune Miku had better come up with a different scheme), or anything that might be "harmful to the moral rights" of the human who sang the original vocals used in the product. (!?!)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

No, it IS more restrictive than the license for a VST, but it's pretty similar to the kind of license you get with most sample libraries... except for one really weird clause.

Mainly they just don't want you making certain kinds of commercial products with it, which is the same with sample libraries. So no reselling the phoneme samples, and they specifically call out ringtones and karaoke disc background vocals as prohibited uses.

The weird part is where they say you're basically not allowed to use the synthesized voices to record illegal or offensive content (so any of you guys planning to program your ransom demands as Hatsune Miku had better come up with a different scheme), or anything that might be "harmful to the moral rights" of the human who sang the original vocals used in the product. (!?!)
Moral rights are a concept in copyright law, originally in Europe (France and Germany), then in all of the Berne Convention countries, except the U.S. I first heard about moral rights in relation to an artist's works when I moved to Ireland. The U.S., despite being a Berne Convetion country since 1989, doesn't recognize moral rights except in a narrow capacity relating to visual art. The basic intent of moral rights (as opposed to economic rights) is (from the Berne Convention):

quote:

Independent of the author's economic rights, and even after the transfer of the said rights, the author shall have the right to claim authorship of the work and to object to any distortion, modification of, or other derogatory action in relation to the said work, which would be prejudicial to the author's honor or reputation.
Copyright in the U.S. is substantially different than the framework in France that moral rights came from; the U.S. focuses on exclusive rights (usually tied to economic rights, including ownership).

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm glad the country who invented the guillotine and had (has?) a national anthem about sowing wheat fields with blood from their enemies takes such a hard stance on moral issues.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That, miraculously, hasn't stopped people from releasing a rough jumpcore album with Miku cursing up a storm.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

I learned a new word!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Also in freaky things: a bid at a new instrument via the powers of Pi and Hexagons

http://www.raspberrypi.org/joytone/

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Plavski posted:

I learned a new word!

Jumpstyle was the word someone elsewhere crowned when linking it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z8FHFs-XsM

Not a bad album in general (see related videos) for us used to sick Eurotechno and tasteful gabber.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hooooo boy I just started composing arpeggiators for the Proteus2k.

It's amazingly flexible. Look at all dem possibilities:

e: In case the image never loads...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 6, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I'm surprised to see the DSI Mopho is still $400, so what's the most Model-D-like analogue you can get for under $500? The brutes?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

MrLonghair posted:

I'm surprised to see the DSI Mopho is still $400, so what's the most Model-D-like analogue you can get for under $500? The brutes?

If it absolutely has to be analog, the Korg MS-20 is probably your best bet. Usually goes for $600 new, but it regularly dips below $500 on eBay. It's semi-modular, so you get a good amount of flexibility for the price.

Otherwise, I'd get the Waldorf Blofeld as it's pretty unbeatable as far as <$500 synths are concerned. Covers all of the ground that the Model D does -- three oscillators, a nice creamy 24db low-pass filter, standard amp/filter envelopes, etc. -- but also has a crazy-flexible modulation matrix, wavetable synthesis, high-pass/low-pass/comb/notch filters, multitimbral capabilities, weird alternative envelopes like ADSDSR, and on and on. It's admittedly short on knobs, but the interface is so well-laid-out that you don't really miss them. What's more, it sounds fantastic.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
He could always wait for Korg's Arp Odyssey reissue. :v:

But anyway, the Blofeld is awesome. I really need to do more with it since it has one of my favorite filters: the comb filter. That thing is just pure :circlefap:.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

treasureplane posted:

If it absolutely has to be analog, the Korg MS-20 is probably your best bet.

Oh crap I forgot about that holy grail, my guys haven't talked much about it and yes, dissatisfaction and the bad habit of not using reference gear to listen in so I pick up artefacts and the slightest ugly stepping. The MS-20 would let me do the YMO and DAF cover business, with a midi-CV box I could do what I need for on-location fun with keytar and SP404.

On the other hand I have never had anything Waldorf, and so many of me Swedish synthesizer nerds swear by their stuff. Hrm.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

So, hardware is not for me.

I've never been a musician but I've enjoyed creating weird sounds, textures, rhythms and whatnot for years with VSTs; all for my own consumption (I can't remember the last time I completed a full tune). So last year I started eyeing up some modest bits of hardware to play with - nothing fancy, just something to compliment my 'setup' of Live running on a laptop. I nearly got a Volca, I nearly got a Microbrute, I nearly got a Mopho, I nearly got a Nanozwerg.....

Eventually, a month ago, I finally took possession of a TT-303. And I loved it. The sound, the eccentric functionality, the tweakability. Only I found out pretty soon it was a pain in the arse to integrate with my existing setup. It was doable, but it all seemed a bit 'Heath Robinson' what with MIDI leads/interface all cluttering the place up, I had hassle syncing with the DAW, gain staging....blah, blah....

Well, within two weeks the novelty had worn off. I still loved the TT but it was, and remains, infinitely easier to compose my stuff without all the hoops that adding hardware introduced. Now maybe if I had a whole suite of complimentary hardware synths and could omit the DAW from the equation it would be a different story but from my experience having just the one hooked up was like trying work with a ball and chain attached. It hindered creativity rather than inspired it.

Thinking perhaps my attitude would change if only I bought a suitable drum machine to go with the TT I bought a TR-8. I opened the box, played with it for a couple of hours (it's very nice), realised it's never going to get used, and returned it the next day. Yesterday I sold the TT (which stung a bit). But I'm now back to my happier, noodling, VST-based self. The hardware spell is broken!

The moral? Dunno. Maybe in the future when hardware synths can be integrated as transparently as VSTs into DAWs then I might take another look.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

MrLonghair posted:

Oh crap I forgot about that holy grail, my guys haven't talked much about it and yes, dissatisfaction and the bad habit of not using reference gear to listen in so I pick up artefacts and the slightest ugly stepping. The MS-20 would let me do the YMO and DAF cover business, with a midi-CV box I could do what I need for on-location fun with keytar and SP404.

On the other hand I have never had anything Waldorf, and so many of me Swedish synthesizer nerds swear by their stuff. Hrm.

Just wanted to clarify that I meant the MS-20 Mini -- the original MS-20 tends to be quite a bit more costly.

As far as stepping goes, it's not an inherent issue with non-analog synths, it's just the result of inadequate engineering. For example, I've never had any stepping issues on the Blofeld.

treasureplane fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 7, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Kilmers Elbow posted:

:shobon::hf::shobon:

Basically I couldn't spend money on technicalities and directed it towards synths and synths only, because those were the fun toys. When it came to the point that I would need more cables and a mixer and freeing up space to put it all and whatnot, I apparently couldn't be bothered.

I "only" put around €1000 into it before I realised that I should just buy a beefier computer that could run more than 8 vsts concurrently, which is what I thought switching to hardware would solve for me.

I'm keeping some of it as toys, but should I ever get over myself and start making music again it's not likely any of the harware will feature in it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Kilmers Elbow posted:

The hardware spell is broken!

The moral? Dunno. Maybe in the future when hardware synths can be integrated as transparently as VSTs into DAWs then I might take another look.

Workflow is a legitimate concern and should certainly factor into your buying (and selling) decisions.

I came to my own epiphany on this matter a few months ago and am actively in the process of preparing my vintage gear for sale. I'm only keeping hardware synths that I can easily program from the hardware, but are modern enough that I can automate them from Cubase. Also, they must have a distinct enough sound that they justify the space they take up in my room. So, Blofeld, Pulse 2, and Rocket stay. Everything else goes.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sadly, the KingKorg exhibits stepping in several of the models, namely sync sweeps and high res Acid filter sweeps.

The latter case goes to the other point though: having no experience with a 303, the model might be accurate. I already experienced this with the VPM oscillators, where steps during sweeps at high modulation depths were actually inherent to FM, not a limitation in the model.

That said, the legitimate complaints are edge cases, and they're limitations in the VA modelling. There seems to be sufficient resolution in the encoders or interpolation in the model that transitions are free of aliasing.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Trying to do the LP sample based beats business on a JJOS MPC1000 made me feel hardware was in the way, but selling that and getting an SP404SX put me back on the right path. Sampling and assigning something to a pad in a couple of seconds, would only get better with an SP12 mode and a non-ghetto pad-mute method.

Gotta find the right stuff. I started out making .mod music on Amiga so I like working with some restrictions and limits.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Trying to do the LP sample based beats business on a JJOS MPC1000 made me feel hardware was in the way, but selling that and getting an SP404SX put me back on the right path. Sampling and assigning something to a pad in a couple of seconds, would only get better with an SP12 mode and a non-ghetto pad-mute method.

Gotta find the right stuff. I started out making .mod music on Amiga so I like working with some restrictions and limits.

Renoise.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MrLonghair posted:

Bad example for the case though. It's rather an example of how super tight intergration of instrument and sequencer does trump other considerations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I'm confused as to what people mean when they say they can't seem to "integrate" hardware into their setup? All I've ever done is simply send MIDI notes to whatever synth and then recording back into the DAW, with on-the-fly knob tweaking. Maybe if it's a Minibrute I'll have it interact with some CV to the eurorack, but really that about it.

Is there some type of sequencing or complex analog integration I'm missing out on?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Also in freaky things: a bid at a new instrument via the powers of Pi and Hexagons

http://www.raspberrypi.org/joytone/

That looks rad, too bad it's probably going to be, like, 2-4k$.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Ditto, but I went a different direction. For me hardware is noise toys, as long as I'm happy with what I do I don't really care if I finish anything. For me, I get a bit too much computer time so hardware was (and is) a way for me to keep making music without staring at a computer. I realized that a setup where I was driving synths and a DAW together would never work for me because if I'm actually trying to make a song workflow is more important than actual knobs, and I'm happier with pure VSTs. That said, I went a different direction. I unloaded a shitload of rack stuff and all my Eurorack (except what I can't sell) and most of my synths and then kept three synths, the TB-303, the TB-3, and the A4. I bought a mixer, and for now I've still got a Phatty I'm trying to sell but basically that's enough self contained knobs to gently caress with some acid or psytrance or whatever and have me be happy with how it sounds.

I don't pretend to be and have never called myself a musician, I'm just a guy who likes noise.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

The Cleaner posted:

I'm confused as to what people mean when they say they can't seem to "integrate" hardware into their setup?

The cables do tend to be a rats nest given time. I'm at 32 physical MIDI cables and about the same number of audio channels and seem to spend more time on DYMO labelling and bundling than music making.

The way that works for me is to do the basic composing using VSTs and then come back and replace tracks with physical sources if it helps the sound. That seems to make the music easier and keep the gear playful.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Composition wise I'm about 80% VST right now, especially since I got Bazille which everyone should download the beta version because it owns. The only hardware I use when composing is the K2000 because to me it's still the best sounding sampled piano and the hardware controller for spark 2 which really doesn't count. Between the MS-20 and/or VST's with the Mangler I've found they work as a super unique sound pallet to compliment established melodies and excel when I use them to add another layer over a part to really make them pop. Outside of the A4 & an analogue drum machine (or two) I'm getting I'm done with "synth" hardware... but now that I'm happy with my synth setup I've started working on getting gear for my guitar... and because I hate all 3 of the amp/effect VST's I've tried, Hail Satan hardware ahoy. :devil:

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 7, 2014

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

0dB posted:

The cables do tend to be a rats nest given time. I'm at 32 physical MIDI cables and about the same number of audio channels and seem to spend more time on DYMO labelling and bundling than music making.

No I mean, what I've been hearing from people is "I bought an analog, couldn't get it to integrate with my DAW, how do people use hardware?"

You are like the opposite extreme.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Oh god, which one am I? :ohdear:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

No I mean, what I've been hearing from people is "I bought an analog, couldn't get it to integrate with my DAW, how do people use hardware?"

I think these people are the same kind of people who buy trap sample packs, they expect hardware to sound amazing right out of the gate when tossed into a mix because it's ~analogue~

Also I've decided I no longer like Hawai'i:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Cable spaghetti can seriously be conquered, I did it when I had the most hardware I ever did and filled a not too shabby MX9000 mixer, it's just that cable spaghetti is a pain in the rear end and requires a good amount of vertical space and the right furniture to deal with. Also, money buying shorter lengths instead of cheapest possibles.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

they expect hardware to sound amazing right out of the gate when tossed into a mix because it's ~analogue~

On their $299 Beats By Dre "studio headphones, maaaaaaan", and entirely dry.

I need headphones that are the quality and huge head-friendliness of the Sennheiser HD25s, but can be used as reference. HD25s are more for hearing what cannot be heard and engineering, and not giving anything near a correct image of what is heard on 99% of other equipment.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

The Cleaner posted:

In my own case I have a tower of Roland rack synths. Some are extremely difficult to program from the hardware, so I spent waaaaaay too much time and money trying to get a solid software-based patch editing and automation solution set up for them. It was a fool's errand in the end. Some tools work some of the time for some synths, but nothing is without its quirks and limitations. The Rolands weren't even designed for what we usually think of in terms of "automation." In some cases you're literally uploading a whole patch just to tweak a single parameter, so performance can be very poor and unpredictable.

Ended up getting a Kiwi Technics Patch Editor and a couple Roland original programmers for the synths the PE didn't support, but that only addresses the patch programming side- and it can be unsatisfactory at that. (I've found it easier to program the MKS-80 from the front panel.) I ultimately realized I wanted true plugin-style control, and there are plenty of plugins and libraries that cover all my personal Roland needs (plus just about anything else I could possibly want to do musically).

I still love my gear. I'll just get better mileage out of software.

EDIT: The Waldorf synths I'm keeping are not only easy to program and automate- they're FUN to use, too. I like fun.

EDIT 2: And I will probably die with the SY-85, only because it would cost more to ship than I could sell it for on eBay and CL stresses me the gently caress out.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 7, 2014

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

The Cleaner posted:

No, it's more like not knowing how to set up your gear so that you can actually write music with it from your DAW. There's a whole layer of midi/audio interface stuff that can be kind of a pain to deal with. I still haven't got a proper audio interface yet, so actually making music with my gear is a bit of a hackjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Number Two Stunna posted:

No, it's more like not knowing how to set up your gear so that you can actually write music with it from your DAW. There's a whole layer of midi/audio interface stuff that can be kind of a pain to deal with. I still haven't got a proper audio interface yet, so actually making music with my gear is a bit of a hackjob.

I was like you once then I wised up and got a proper DAW setup with a really good interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40). The old setup I had was a Shure SM57 going into the mic mini-jack of a Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III for recording guitars, bass, and vocals and an internal loopback for recording drums.

Get an interface. It's so much better.