Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: The Waldorf synths I'm keeping are not only easy to program and automate- they're FUN to use, too. I like fun.

Way to put me onto the track of getting my first Waldorf :O

My holy grail would really be a racked Kurzweil with VA-1. I'd have the Forte if it wasn't for all the other things I need to put $3995 on like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MrLonghair posted:

My holy grail would really be a racked Kurzweil with VA-1. I'd have the Forte if it wasn't for all the other things I need to put $3995 on like.

If you're dead set on a Waldorf AND analog, then get a Pulse 2. :v:

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

VoodooXT posted:

I was like you once then I wised up and got a proper DAW setup with a really good interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40). The old setup I had was a Shure SM57 going into the mic mini-jack of a Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III for recording guitars, bass, and vocals and an internal loopback for recording drums.

Get an interface. It's so much better.

I've been looking at the native instruments komplete audio 6. I figure it should be good enough for a few synths/drum machines as well as DJing, while not being too expensive because I have to pay for university+rent as well

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
In addition to the why hardware sucks discussion:

The bottom line is that if you buy (vintage) hardware and expect it to work just like a real life VST, you're just going to end up regretting it.
The biggest eyeopener for me was that I shouldn't aim for a complete result in one go, but that I have to treat it more like a classic recording studio type of deal.
First I record drums and basslines then some melodies, then FX etc. Then there's some arranging , some editing, then a mixdown.

This works really great for me, and it forces me to keep my tracks 'simple' because you don't want to do a billion takes on 9000 channels when you have to record them one by one.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
For me the A4 was a huge eye opener. It's fantastic, intuitive, and sounds good yet I can't think of a single reason to ever route it into my computer.

Also this new name really suits the thread.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I bought an FB01 most recently and simply "eh". Fed it videogame midis and "eh". Had more use of the Casio SK1, I should just have bought the DM100 when I had the chance, cute little turds that are fun to use.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Soon I discovered that this synth thing was true
Donald Buchla was the devil
Robert was a physicist previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with gear
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

MrLonghair posted:

:getin:

Speaking of pokemon, OP1's sampler got my juices going and left me wanting at the same time. Got offered an EPS16 in trade yesterday and I was thinking about it but I'm trying to shed stuff not collect more. Getting ready for the AHNE meet this week has really got me thinking about paring the gently caress down. Just bringing the A4, 6U and an amp.

A Winner is Jew posted:

but now that I'm happy with my synth setup I've started working on getting gear for my guitar... and because I hate all 3 of the amp/effect VST's I've tried, Hail Satan hardware ahoy. :devil:

Just cop a Tech21 flavor and an eventide or something. Guitar poo poo is so crazy these days. I've got a buddy who has bought and sold an axefx more times than I can count, swaps up his pedalboard every other week.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Could I have my hardware thread back, please? :colbert:

I'm currently planning to build a suitcase-sized music setup, with 6U of Eurorack, a Korg Volca Beats and an Arturia MicroBrute. It's probably going to be a MIDI-free zone, which feels exciting after having MIDI as a core part of my system for so long. I might add a CVpal module though, to convert MIDI sequences from my iPad to CV ... so almost MIDI free, if this works well.

I also built an Ericasynth Polivoks VCF and a Razmasynth Super Warp Generator DIY kit, which should be fun to play with. Here's a picture:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Startyde posted:

Just cop a Tech21 flavor and an eventide or something. Guitar poo poo is so crazy these days. I've got a buddy who has bought and sold an axefx more times than I can count, swaps up his pedalboard every other week.

Right now with synsht I'm composing live, but I'll transcribe it to Midi and then have the computer play what's ultimately recorded. Guitar I can't do that and while dropping $1-2k on a rack effects unit would be a good one stop solution, the Mangler is already stupidly good for distorted guitar sounds so I'm only looking to add the MF Drive, 2 Fuzz pedals, a Reverb, and Delay pedal so the absolute worst case is that I'm still under $1k of pedals and that's getting them retail. I'm also really spoiled since the DAW I use has absolutely amazing native effects... which is good since it's native instruments are utter poo poo. No joke, the only effect VST's I've gotten have been Waves Kramer Tape, OhmBoyz, Quadforhmage, and Bitcom. I'm debating between one of the Valhalla's or Camel Space to spice up my reverb selection but that's all.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you cannot get 1 MIDI cable into your Minibrute and then 1 instrument cable back into your interface without tripping on wires, having your computer crash and ripping your hair out... I'm a little concerned.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Since we're talking hardware integration, I'm hoping you guys can recommend a specific piece of hardware. I have a desktop synth module w/ midi in, a digital piano that has midi/in out which I plan to use as a master keyboard, a minibrute which I want to use a sometimes controller and a soundcard that has a single pair of midi in/out connections. I may eventually want to hook up another 2-3 pieces of midi gear in the future (a shurthi example). As far as hooking it all up, it seems that what I'd want is a box I can plug all the midi leads into and just dump midi commands into that box and have it route everything to the right channel (preferably w/o it requiring a computer to be on/attached). Since different midi gear can occupy different channels this seems reasonable. I have no idea what you'd call it though (midi multiplexer?).

Is this, in fact, what I want or is there a better way to hook it all up? If this is the right approach can you recommend a specific product?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Bolange posted:

Since we're talking hardware integration, I'm hoping you guys can recommend a specific piece of hardware. I have a desktop synth module w/ midi in, a digital piano that has midi/in out which I plan to use as a master keyboard, a minibrute which I want to use a sometimes controller and a soundcard that has a single pair of midi in/out connections. I may eventually want to hook up another 2-3 pieces of midi gear in the future (a shurthi example). As far as hooking it all up, it seems that what I'd want is a box I can plug all the midi leads into and just dump midi commands into that box and have it route everything to the right channel (preferably w/o it requiring a computer to be on/attached). Since different midi gear can occupy different channels this seems reasonable. I have no idea what you'd call it though (midi multiplexer?).

Is this, in fact, what I want or is there a better way to hook it all up? If this is the right approach can you recommend a specific product?

A MIDI-Thru box will multiply a signal from one cable to 2, 4 or more cables. So you could have your master sequencer's MIDI out connected to the thru box, which would then copy the signal to more outputs. Like this you don't have to daisy-chain gear. Or you could use a MIDI Patch Bay which usually has eight ins and eight outs, which you can route on the fly, if you have more than one sequencer.

If you want, go ahead and watch the first two videos of this playlist, in which I explain two of my setups. The first video is about a hardware & software setup with Ableton Love and the second video is just a hardware setup.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_bMlncCAFzYUzEpHrmDDLWB

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Cleaner posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you cannot get 1 MIDI cable into your Minibrute and then 1 instrument cable back into your interface without tripping on wires, having your computer crash and ripping your hair out... I'm a little concerned.
It's not about that at all.

You say:

The Cleaner posted:

All I've ever done is simply send MIDI notes to whatever synth and then recording back into the DAW, with on-the-fly knob tweaking.
But what some other people might want is not having to print anything to tape (so to speak) until everything is finished. This requires total instant recall of presets and parameters and midi automation in and out. Since it does not have all that, the MicroBrute doesn't integrate in my setup, not nearly as well as vsts.

Now I know better than anyone else that such a workflow is based on a thick layer of fear of commitment, insecurity and likely the real inability to produce anything ok-sounding live even in a thousand takes -even if it just concerns twiddling a single filter knob.

I'm not going to buy a MicroBrute, because I can read the marketing blurb and conclude it doesn't have the features I want. Someone with a couple of weeks of experience with FL Studio or whatever, and to whom it's all still very much black magic, might not, but might still be very eager to buy what all the other guys on the internet say is the greatest thing. And be disappointed.

I don't think any of that is extremely odd or incomprehensible. And, you know, vsts do enable me to maintain that non-committing workflow, so why the gently caress not.

I respect that you can do things on the fly and I understand that it's pretty simple if you build your workflow around that. It's just not for me.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Has anyone here made a DIY synth space? I'm looking at room for a mixer, a couple of synths, and Dow speakers but I'm not really jumping to spend much at all. I've been thinking of just trying a kind of wireframe structure out of PVC pipes but I'm unsure of how to go about it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

SynthGoons: I'm just a guy that likes noise

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Sjoewe posted:

The bottom line is that if you buy (vintage) hardware and expect it to work just like a real life VST, you're just going to end up regretting it.
The biggest eyeopener for me was that I shouldn't aim for a complete result in one go, but that I have to treat it more like a classic recording studio type of deal.
First I record drums and basslines then some melodies, then FX etc. Then there's some arranging , some editing, then a mixdown.

This works really great for me, and it forces me to keep my tracks 'simple' because you don't want to do a billion takes on 9000 channels when you have to record them one by one.
I grew up on hardware synths, and I recorded for years like you described- laying down one track at a time (each part, full song, straight to tape, mistakes and all).

When I eventually got an Atari ST I had zero problems getting the most out of my instruments in a MIDI setup. I really just naively assumed that in the 21st century, computers would work at least as well with synths as they did back then (but hopefully better!). In some respects that's really not the case though. There are tons of products that claim to solve the problems that Atari developers had solved 25 years ago, but most of them work like garbage (on the PC anyway).

So I didn't go into this blind- I had lots of experience with hardware and with computer/synth integration (and even using synths as straight-up performance instruments). But today's solutions for legacy synths just don't cut it, for me. I still have lots of musical ideas I need to bring to life, and I will definitely choose the quickest route to get there (plugins) over trying to get a modern DAW spit proprietary data chunks at my decades-old rack synths. I fought the fight. It just wasn't worth the effort.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

SynthGoons: I'm just a guy that likes noise

Hang out on any synth forum where people aren't pretending they're big producers (gearslutz) and this is so readily apparent. Hell, the modular community is 90% people who wouldn't know musicality if it bit them in the rear end.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Has anyone here made a DIY synth space? I'm looking at room for a mixer, a couple of synths, and Dow speakers but I'm not really jumping to spend much at all. I've been thinking of just trying a kind of wireframe structure out of PVC pipes but I'm unsure of how to go about it.

Kind of.

My day job is drafting/modeling/engineering so of course I've built 3D models of everything I have / want and see what the best way to arrange them on/around the furniture I have and if it doesn't fit then I'll look for pieces of furniture that will work for me. I also do this with my house furniture because moving pixels is way easier than moving furniture.

This is my current midi keyboard stand. I got it because it was cheep, was closest to the desk I'm at now design wise and while it's about 6" too short a 3" overhang on either side isn't a huge deal. It's also easy to move so when I'm not at my keyboard it slides away and doesn't clutter my desk area.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Making noise for for $0 to $4995 / I bought a $1200 synth, time to make minimalist acid / Wishing we could go 100% ITB since 199

Gearslutz reminds me terribly of what I saw when I was into photography, people with all of the money and none of the sense or learning ability, a kitchentable full of white Canon lenses to a single camera and no training, just post upon post asking for hints of how to do the basics. MPC-Forums has a cozier and saner "show your stuff" thread than Gearslutz which often has manic collecting syndrome stuff in it. Or several new cars worth of gear connected to a Behringer Xenyx.

When it comes to getting space, I've recommended this to my Scandinavian types, look into second-hand/thrift stores for 70's 80's LP player stereo furniture and in most cases it'll fit 19" rack units perfectly, got these two for like $8 currency converted:

One day I'll get a more respectable deck.

e: I love recording live, but without too large mistakes, you get the idea. Sounds okay, sounds right, something I could be satisfied and proud of? Then it's in.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 7, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Radiapathy posted:

I grew up on hardware synths, and I recorded for years like you described- laying down one track at a time (each part, full song, straight to tape, mistakes and all).

This is actually how I still do things (former session guitarist and audio engineer).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Making noise for for $0 to $4995 / I bought a $1200 synth, time to make minimalist acid / Wishing we could go 100% ITB since 199

I'm not sure I get this attitude either. I have 100% understanding of people who don't have an ounce of musical skill and want to buy a 20k modular as long as they're not throwing themselves into financial hardship to do it. How many people who buy nice sports cars have the means or the driving skill to really push it to its potential?

The problem I see is when people buy gear thinking it'll make them awesome producers, or sound good overnight. They buy thousands worth of gear and then think they're going to be big time producers because they've got that "Moog sound" and a go-do-it attitude.

But if some people want to spend a shitload to have fun in a hobby that at the end of the day is one of the easier ones to cash out of, what's the point in being a dick about it? MW has a good number of posters who are in their 40s-50s and just really like sitting down and zoning out $30,000 dollars of knobs making sounds that could have been made in a $50 Buchla clone VST.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Those were just silly thread name suggestions actually.

What I do feel dickish about are my reactions to gearslutz threads of people working 100% ITB asking what channel strip to put their mix through to make it sound better, nonchalantly saying their budget for that one item, and it can only be a single one-in-all piece, is five grand. If I bookmarked those threads I'd link them because they are sights to see.

But whenever one of those people actually listen in and learn from those who know, I feel good. I helped one learn about mixing down to an old casette deck to reach the desired crunch and lo-fi instead of buying things best left for million dollar studios, he could have bought a nice used car for the money he saved.

(But that's more of an "urgh" allergic reaction. See the "photographers". Teens with rich parents who get them a white Canon lens collection.)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 8, 2014

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

FLX posted:

If you want, go ahead and watch the first two videos of this playlist, in which I explain two of my setups. The first video is about a hardware & software setup with Ableton Love and the second video is just a hardware setup.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_bMlncCAFzYUzEpHrmDDLWB

Those two videos were helpful, thanks. Looks like what I want is the whitebox you show in the first video. All the ones I've found tend to be 1-to-4 or 4-to-1 multiplexers when I want a 4-to-4 or similar. I'll keep hunting.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MrLonghair posted:

Gearslutz reminds me terribly of what I saw when I was into photography, people with all of the money and none of the sense or learning ability, a kitchentable full of white Canon lenses to a single camera and no training, just post upon post asking for hints of how to do the basics.

MrLonghair posted:

(But that's more of an "urgh" allergic reaction. See the "photographers". Teens with rich parents who get them a white Canon lens collection.)

I've never moved in those circles, but I've heard that "GAS" originated with camera hobbyists, and I can totally see the parallels. I just saw that 9 Warning Signs of an Amateur Artist thing for the first time the other day, and I felt pretty proud of myself until I hit number 8, which I think goes hand in hand with GAS. Definitely guilty (I actually took 2 and a half years off of songwriting to learn how to mix), but if the learning and the gear weren't so much fun I'd probably get a lot more tracks finished.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

I just saw that 9 Warning Signs of an Amateur Artist thing for the first time the other day, and I felt pretty proud of myself until I hit number 8, which I think goes hand in hand with GAS.

Yeesh. This article makes me feel awful. I've made virtually no progress on my "important" music in like a year and a half. This outlines a lot of what I've gotten caught up in.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
AHNE was amazeballs, just got back. Saw some cool poo poo, jammed for forty minutes. Solaris is absolutely amazing. The clone won the easel shootout imo. Pics tomorrow.

BKPR posted:

I've made virtually no progress on my "important" music in like a year and a half.

same, but ever

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BKPR posted:

Yeesh. This article makes me feel awful. I've made virtually no progress on my "important" music in like a year and a half. This outlines a lot of what I've gotten caught up in.

The article was depressing because with my limited time it really does describe me, but then I remembered after reading #5 I'm not a professional artist and don't want to be. I like my 9-5, I like what I do for money and making music/robot farts is relaxing time for me. If people want to be professional artists cool, but I got back into this knowing that I will never "make it big", or even earn anything over the years from this and I'm cool with that. What give me the most satisfaction is when complete strangers say they liked what I wrote and wish I wrote more of it, or compare it favorably to actual professional artist that I respect/enjoy.

Fame, money, drugs, and groupies where nice to think about when I was a dork in high school with almost no social skills and no girl friend, but I'm 33 with an awesome wife and great job, while fame and drugs seem kinda boring to me now.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm not reading whatever is behind that link out of a sense of egotistical self-preservation tyvm.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

FLX posted:

Could I have my hardware thread back, please? :colbert:

I'm currently planning to build a suitcase-sized music setup, with 6U of Eurorack, a Korg Volca Beats and an Arturia MicroBrute. It's probably going to be a MIDI-free zone, which feels exciting after having MIDI as a core part of my system for so long. I might add a CVpal module though, to convert MIDI sequences from my iPad to CV ... so almost MIDI free, if this works well.

I also built an Ericasynth Polivoks VCF and a Razmasynth Super Warp Generator DIY kit, which should be fun to play with. Here's a picture:

I see a potential problem here. Your Turing Machine is not fully expanded.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm not reading whatever is behind that link out of a sense of egotistical self-preservation tyvm.

Given that the first two items contradict each other (1: amateur artists wait until the muse strikes 2: non-amateur artists work until their muse has left them) the list is basically garbage. gently caress that list, Endless Gear Acquisition for life, yo. I've seen "real" artists, they're too busy playing to learn how to patch. gently caress that.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Speaking of being too busy to do poo poo, when are you free, Sizone?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Speaking of being too busy to do poo poo, when are you free, Sizone?

Probably end of monthish. Done with the course I was teaching but I've got some other stuff/people to catch up with/on and the wife demands that I take her to the state fair. There's a harmonica clinic at easy music on thursday I'm probably going to go to though.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

I've found it easier to program the MKS-80 from the front panel.

You are Vladimir Putin.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Flipperwaldt posted:

people might want is not having to print anything to tape (so to speak) until everything is finished. This requires total instant recall of presets and parameters and midi automation in and out.

vsts do enable me to maintain that non-committing workflow

THAT explains it. Thankya.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Got my AN-200 back after lending it to a friend for almost a year.
I was stupid to lend this thing to anyone, it's such a fun machine.

I should get my DX-200 back as well :v:

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 8, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

"Have motivation to work hard and regularly, have enough self discipline and detachment to finish things, learn from others as you go, don't get caught up in pie in the sky, network, network, network."

If you take away the obnoxious "awesome professional artists go blee blee blee, loser amateurs go bloo blo bloo" tone, there's really nothing to it. You know all these things because it works like that for every work-from-home business and if it were really paramount that you started making money with your music, that's what you'd be doing. As a hobby that comes with the vague idea "how sweet it would be to get paid for this", there's really no problem with dropping a bunch of those requirements to keep it fun rather than work.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014
On the topic of hardware integration, I don't wanna be that guy, but a wonderful way to integrate hardware synths into your setup is with your hands actually touching physical keys :smuggo:

But anyway, look how good the Bass Station 2 sounds through a fender twin reverb!

https://soundcloud.com/mrwimmer/teaser-for-an-interesting-life

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

I see a potential problem here. Your Turing Machine is not fully expanded.
I really like the Pulses, but I never felt the need for the Voltages expansion. Maybe I have to look into that one again some more.

Bolange posted:

Those two videos were helpful, thanks. Looks like what I want is the whitebox you show in the first video. All the ones I've found tend to be 1-to-4 or 4-to-1 multiplexers when I want a 4-to-4 or similar. I'll keep hunting.

The white box is an ESI M4U XL USB interface, which needs a computer and software (like Ableton) to run. In my second video, the Roland A-880 MIDI Patchbay works without a computer.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Moving, getting rid of kruft.

Who wants an un-cased Meeblip? I built it, it works great and sounds pretty neat, but never built a case for it and never use it. Free* to a goon home. PM me.

* you pay shipping, that's it that's all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

Moving, getting rid of kruft.

Who wants an un-cased Meeblip? I built it, it works great and sounds pretty neat, but never built a case for it and never use it. Free* to a goon home. PM me.

* you pay shipping, that's it that's all

My wife, I'll pay shipping.