Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ligur posted:

Then you can ask them to hit you with a jab, and easily slip it, and then ask them to slip your jab, and they won't be able to slip or block it even if you tell them it's coming 10 seconds in advance, and they will be all :confused:

The New A/T MA Thread: Learn to beat up your friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hope you guys can help me, I'm looking for a martial art where I can learn to crush someone's skull between my hands like an over-ripe melon

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mewse posted:

I hope you guys can help me, I'm looking for a martial art where I can learn to crush someone's skull between my hands like an over-ripe melon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRfNJnNtok

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

hi liter posted:

I don't beat my friend, however I did use judo throws on them while throwing a football on the beach.
Fuckers where trying to steal that ball from me anyways. :colbert:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

hi liter posted:

Also nothing livens up a boring (or frustrating!) business meeting like choking out a difficult project manager and/or customer who except you to make a smartphone app that draws edgy square circles, or requests you to install a proxy server on Windows Server 2012 that refuses ntlm 2 connections with AD.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

First day back at Muay Thai in a while. Wanted to throw up. Instructor is all over google and has done lots of fights so that's good I guess.

How much are you guys dipping on an uppercut if at all? I've been taught both ways. Instructor said if I'm dropping it all I was taught wrong and it should all come from the hips. I was taught to sort of tighten up your stance bending the knees maybe a couple inches and springing up. He was teaching us a weird combo that involved faking a teep or kick and using that momentum so sort of stomp your foot down into an uppercut. Felt pretty weird.

What are you guys paying monthly? It's MT 4x a week and other poo poo but I'll probably only do MT. Think it's the same price regardless. Was paying about $100 before

Really wish gyms would make classes an hour and a half. Don't know why almost every place is just an hour.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 4, 2014

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Faking a kick and then using it as a step to a punch is a pretty popular technique with Dutch style MT dudes, it's weird but it's money.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

BlindSite posted:

Faking a kick and then using it as a step to a punch is a pretty popular technique with Dutch style MT dudes, it's weird but it's money.

A thing most people forget about this though is that your opponent has to be afraid of your kick FIRST. I used to know this dude who would always try this on everyone and it never worked because he never made his leg kick a credible threat before he tried to fake with it. It's an important and simple step that can get overlooked.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Dropping your hips a tiny bit on an upper is fine, but if you're springing up, chances are you'll come up higher than you dropped (since you'll want to drive hard), compromising your stance and losing weight on the next punch, likely the hook off the other hand.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I was taught to dip basically not at all, just bend your knees & possibly turn to side a bit (as in slipping a straight) and then come up with the uppercut with the extra power from springing up and turning your hips into it. "But Ligur", you might think "if you drop your hips and even turn into it you'll telegraph the punch" which is 100% true. (That said, when sparring hard you WILL eventually load your fist a little, or even a lot.)

The uppercut is not a very good first punch unless you intend your opponent to see it so you can set up another strike, or you throw it off a slip or some other technique. Of course I also practice and throw it without any loading whatsoever. Sometimes situations arise where you feel a spot to just quickly stab your uppercut in. You don't need much power when you are scraping your glove up his nose to make it sting.

One of my favourite combinations is the forehand uppercut thrown after you've made your opponent respect it a bit, so he'll cover up, and following with an inside to outside crescent kick (known as the reverse in Savate) off the front leg which will soar straight over his hands and hit the side of his head. Haahaa!

Punches thrown off kicks are awesome, and the other way around, but like Novum said, you need to make your opponent respect and fear your feint first. Here "Bang" Ludvig explains his right hook off a teep. l33t!

edit: oops, that's actually punch head, hook body, kick head -combo, here's the actual right hook off a teep.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 4, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I think I'm springing up too much is the problem. Think I telegraph too much. Thanks for the help guys.

is being a Ruas Vale Tudo Black Belt a feat worth bragging about or what?

BlindSite posted:

Not sure if I explained it well enough but it's just a very weird movement I'm not used to. Just need to practice I guess.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Using the uppercut with good form as part of a combo is one of those things that comes together with mitt work. My coach didn't like how short range my upper was, so he made a quick instruction to reach further, pulled the mitt back, and bam, tuned my form in a couple tries.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I feel like my back hand upper cut is pretty strong but boy do I feel retarded throwing it with my lead hand. Any tips?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You have to think about your pelvis and glutes as counterweights to your fist. If you armpunch the uppercut, yeah, it'll be awkward and weak.
What Ligur said about turning to the side with your trunk works for me. As the fist comes out, the rear shoulder goes back, and the hips might twist a bit. Instead of having all the momentum/impulse operate on one side of your spine, you want to stay balanced by having the fulcrum be near your center and have counterweights working on the other side. That's true for all punches, but because of how the uppercut moves, you have to find special ways to set up that counterbalancing.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Christoff posted:

I feel like my back hand upper cut is pretty strong but boy do I feel retarded throwing it with my lead hand. Any tips?

I had the same problem for years. At first, and I've mentioned it before, I thought it was the most difficult punch (with the left hook) and I considered the right hook the easiest. But over time, this has actually changed to be the opposite: now I think the easiest punches are the short, tight, snappy lead hand uppercut or hook. Or even the longer or wider version of either, as long as you prepare it well so as not to get tagged while throwing.

First off, watch this. I would not be surprised if it doesn't cover up anything new, but the knee bend and the body rotation are there. Remember, all punches follow the same rules: the body rotation, the snap of your fist and you absolutely must throw it very relaxed to generate the "whip" or the "snap" to it, and the shift of your weight from one foot to the other. Just like a hook or a cross. Like kimbo35 says.

- It is almost impossible to train the uppercut properly with most training equipment, apart from the large, round ball of a bag that hangs from the roof, or a regular bag that is placed horizontally instead of vertically like they are 95% of the time.

- To figure it out, it is imperative that someone holds the mitts for you, or even a glove to act as a pad you would punch like a mitt and throw it again, and again, and again.

- Repetition, repetition, repetition. Or did I already say that? I was awful with it for years like I said, generating no power. But when I finally combined all the steps, the knee bend, the spring off the foot, the hip twist, the "snap" of a loose hand with a hard fist on impact it all worked out together to finally "click" the punch for me. And now it's my favourite, most loved punch I can fluster guys who are not good at infighting and can't hold me off.

- I feel bad because because the punch is so underused, or when used, used wrong (like leading it with because someone yells the advice "throw the uppercut!") without any rhyme or reason as to when and how it is to be used. When our hard sparring hobbyist go into the ring, you often see very few - or even no uppercuts thrown at all during a round of sparring!

- Super advanced pro fighter trick is to throw it after an angle changing step to one side or another, to slip it through the opponent defense, like any other punch, but I feel the uppercut is one of the best punches to throw after making an angle change off a feint punch or simply a quick sidestep because of it's lighting quickness and short travel path. To repeat, it does not have to be very powerful, just snappy, to sting nastily.

Less technical specific than kimbo305's advice, but I hope easily readable, and that it gives you at least some ideas to improve your uppercut with!

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 5, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Christoff posted:

It's pretty much just a hook, but twisting your hand in the opposite direction.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's pretty much just a hook, but twisting your hand in the opposite direction.

I didn't figure out what you mean at all. But since the uppercut is one of the most difficult, nah, the most difficult punch to try teach the vast majority of newbies can you elaborate a bit, or am I just stupid here?

You never have enough different ways to explain some strike or kick in your explaining-arsenal!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ligur posted:

I didn't figure out what you mean at all. But since the uppercut is one of the most difficult, nah, the most difficult punch to try teach the vast majority of newbies can you elaborate a bit, or am I just stupid here?

You never have enough different ways to explain some strike or kick in your explaining-arsenal!

Like, orthodox stance, when you throw a hook you rotate your hand clockwise, your elbow comes up, you connect with the hook. An uppercut the way I learned it is essentially the same footwork and lower body movement and torque as a hook, but your fist rotates counterclockwise, your elbow comes down, your connect upwards with the uppercut. The power is still coming from the rotation of your shoulders building from your front foot turning in and generating torque in your hips, that gets transferred upwards.

Of course, there's more than one way to throw any punch.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 5, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Like, orthodox stance, when you throw a hook you rotate your hand clockwise, your elbow comes up, you connect with the hook. An uppercut the way I learned it is essentially the same footwork and lower body movement and torque as a hook, but your fist rotates counterclockwise, your elbow comes down, your connect upwards with the uppercut. The power is still coming from the rotation of your shoulders building from your front foot turning in and generating torque in your hips, that gets transferred upwards.

Of course, there's more than one way to throw any punch.

Got it now, and agree. That's smack on.

And yea I always tell people there isn't any one "correct way" to throw any punch or technique. The best way is the way which works for you in such a way it #1 does generates power and speed #2 achives it's objective #3 does not leave you vulnerable.

That's something I caught up when I used to train Savate Defensé because being practical and efficient is their motto, but it tranlates very well to everything if the instructors aren't too formalized because "tradition" and give you poo poo over being creative with your stuff or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The trickiest thing about uppercuts, to me, was always the spacing. I think I punched myself in the face the first time I threw one in sparring. And also because you can't really practice them on a heavy bag so you're generally getting thousands fewer reps throwing your lead uppercut than you are any of your other punches.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yep that's the issue identified a few times. Without pair or mitt training the uppercut is left out.

But I think gyms with these bags:

Are getting more common? I hope? A few years ago I never saw any, now I do.

Really, without something like that or regular pair/mitt training nobody will never ever learn that punch in any effective way.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
You can get some decent uppercut work on double-end bags too.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

fatherdog posted:

You can get some decent uppercut work on double-end bags too.

Was just about to edit this to my last post. Yes!

Give that motherfucker a jab or a cross and then start uppercutting that teleporting piece of poo poo, or just do uppercut -only combinations. Works wonderfully to get that accuracy and speed which is what I think 90% of an uppercut is about. That said, it's mostly only that, target practice, and will not work much on generating power. That said that said, uppercuts don't need to be Mike Tyson KO uppercuts to scare or confuse your sparring partner witless or score points like said before.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Uppercuts also tend to do damage disproportionate to their actual power because they're more likely to hit without being seen.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
And come in from a downwards to up angle, which flips the head of the opponent back with very little force unless they have powerlifter neck muscles or really hold their jaw low, rattling the brain if it hits the jaw, or just hurts like hell if it scrapes across your face, squashing the nose on the way, making your eyes water.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 5, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ligur posted:

And come in from a downwards to up angle, which flips the head of the opponent back with very little force unless they have powerlifter neck muscles or really hold their jaw low, rattling the brain if it hits the jaw, or just hurts like hell if it scrapes across your face, squashing the nose on the way, making your eyes water.

also lifts the chin for a follow-up ala Mike Tyson.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

also lifts the chin for a follow-up ala Mike Tyson.

Also is loving annoying, and the best punch to hit the contact lense out of someone's left eye so everything is half blurred, half clear, mwahahaha.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ligur posted:

Also is loving annoying, and the best punch to hit the contact lense out of someone's left eye so everything is half blurred, half clear, mwahahaha.

The cotton like cardboard gi sleeve face rake is the optimal technique for contact removal.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Just had my first lesson! I thought my cardio was better than it really was, apparently, even if I thought it was poo poo. I was sweating like a beast at the end and loved every second.

My coach told me to take a broom handle across my shoulders and twist to get used to the movements of punching. I was going to start doing that and some jump rope, but I was curious if there were any other good, standard boxing exercises I could work on so I'd look a bit better Monday.

I get that I'm supposed to suck, but I'm eager to improve :)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Broom handle twists are a very nice warmup for a striking session too.

Good standard boxing exercises, because to box you gotta box:

Shadow box with a mirror with the best form you can manage, making sure every straight punch is fully extended, making sure your hooks stop in front of your face instead of swinging wide, making sure you don't "lean" in to the punches (that is, your head doesn't follow the punch but instead stays in place while you throw) and so. Shadow boxing is really undervalued. But because there is no resistance like with the heavy bag, it forces you to use correct technique and you can't "cheat" with for example the leaning, because if you shove or lean on a bag it will push you back up, but if you do that when shadow boxing you'll fall on your face. Shadow box with a mirror holding a 1 or 2lbs weight to help your hands build the endurance to stay up. Throw straights and hooks when walking up the stairs on your way home. It makes you learn how to step and punch without losing your balance.

Mental exercise: before going to sleep, think about how it feels to throw a certain punch. What muscles did you use? What muscles do you activate when throwing a right cross or a left hook and in what order? Feel the sequence of your body movements in your mind. (That's like an extra boxing class, really, very effective, and believe me, every pro athlete does a lot of this type of poo poo).

Movement exercise (some people hack it in an instant, others take months, dunno why): move a lot in youf fight stance. For example when walking to a bus stop, instead of walking like normal people, take your boxing stance and move forwards, backwards and sideways making sure your feet stay apart and are never in "line" to your invisible opponent that nobody else sees but which you see because you are a looney. That is a 101 thing to figure out. Also this way, you will never reach the bus stop or will miss the bus.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Ligur posted:

Broom handle twists are a very nice warmup for a striking session too.

Good standard boxing exercises, because to box you gotta box:

Shadow box with a mirror with the best form you can manage, making sure every straight punch is fully extended, making sure your hooks stop in front of your face instead of swinging wide, making sure you don't "lean" in to the punches (that is, your head doesn't follow the punch but instead stays in place while you throw) and so. Shadow boxing is really undervalued. But because there is no resistance like with the heavy bag, it forces you to use correct technique and you can't "cheat" with for example the leaning, because if you shove or lean on a bag it will push you back up, but if you do that when shadow boxing you'll fall on your face. Shadow box with a mirror holding a 1 or 2lbs weight to help your hands build the endurance to stay up. Throw straights and hooks when walking up the stairs on your way home. It makes you learn how to step and punch without losing your balance.

Mental exercise: before going to sleep, think about how it feels to throw a certain punch. What muscles did you use? What muscles do you activate when throwing a right cross or a left hook and in what order? Feel the sequence of your body movements in your mind. (That's like an extra boxing class, really, very effective, and believe me, every pro athlete does a lot of this type of poo poo).

Movement exercise (some people hack it in an instant, others take months, dunno why): move a lot in youf fight stance. For example when walking to a bus stop, instead of walking like normal people, take your boxing stance and move forwards, backwards and sideways making sure your feet stay apart and are never in "line" to your invisible opponent that nobody else sees but which you see because you are a looney. That is a 101 thing to figure out. Also this way, you will never reach the bus stop or will miss the bus.

Out of curiosity are you like actually manic or is it just a language barrier/culture thing?

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Oh and the Duane Ludwig seminar was pretty cool. Mostly worked boxing and footwork. Duane's kind of a lovable douche but is just quotable as gently caress
Can you watch me throw this combo?
"Yeah, I could use a good laugh."

What about X technique?
"There's a reason I'm in the UFC, and you're not."

"BOO" a small asian kid just bout shat his pants

"You can do that, but I'll drop you like a motherfucking sack of bricks."

"It's not hard, motherfuckers."

"It's okay to suck poo poo, nobody's watching us. Except the seminar."

"I'm going to take off for a bit." *pulls shirt over head like a turtle shell) "Just kidding."

"Raise your hand if you don't get it."... "Okay, keep that hand up if you're ga-*trails off*"

To me:
"What? No, I can't take a shirtless picture with you for the internet, that's something they'll have to pay extra for."
me: It's a team alpha-male joke
"Oh, haha I get it. No."
:(

all in all it was kind of cool. the dude is fun to be around and because i was the only one asking him for help he pretty much hung around and gave feedback to my partner and I. i just wish he would have taken his shirt off with me

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Out of curiosity are you like actually manic or is it just a language barrier/culture thing?

English is not my native language and I'm a Finn. Which often means really dry or dark humour. Injected into posts in secret. Also I can type or read a lot of words very quickly, and am manic. I just walked home from the gym doing lunges all the way home.

In these times of tweet -length messages being the norm on the internet, oh boy.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Hey, I laughed. Been dancing around like a fool, too :)

Gonna go out and get some girly girl weights to shadowbox with. My gym doesn’t have a speed bag so I'll just have to use these to get my shoulder strength up, I guess.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Is shadowboxing while jogging a real thing to do that makes sense or is it more for Hollywood training montages?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Decades posted:

Is shadowboxing while jogging a real thing to do that makes sense or is it more for Hollywood training montages?

If you don't wear handwraps while jogging, people might mistake you for a runner

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the upper cut tips!

Gym I just started going to has one of these. One placed I trained at for a little bit had one of these which are really nice for uppercuts and elbows.

Wish they were more common.

Thinking about picking up some thai pads. Any recommendations? I think I prefer the standard style ones like this

http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Standard-Thai-Kick-Black/dp/B006CV6VBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402281030&sr=8-2&keywords=fairtex+thai+pads

But poking around it seems the curved ones are the way to go and definitely becoming a lot more common in the gyms.

http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Curved-Standard-Black-White/dp/B006CV6W6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402281030&sr=8-1&keywords=fairtex+thai+pads

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
How the Hell am I supposed to clean my hakama?

e: other than febreze.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Christoff posted:

Thanks for the upper cut tips!

Gym I just started going to has one of these. One placed I trained at for a little bit had one of these which are really nice for uppercuts and elbows.

Wish they were more common.

Thinking about picking up some thai pads. Any recommendations? I think I prefer the standard style ones like this

http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Standard-Thai-Kick-Black/dp/B006CV6VBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402281030&sr=8-2&keywords=fairtex+thai+pads

But poking around it seems the curved ones are the way to go and definitely becoming a lot more common in the gyms.

http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Curved-Standard-Black-White/dp/B006CV6W6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402281030&sr=8-1&keywords=fairtex+thai+pads

A lot of trainers and students seem to have the curved Fairtex pads. Having used those, both as a pad holder and as the person kicking the pads, the curved ones are much nicer. They're easier for both the pad holder and the person striking them to keep things on target. If your kick or punch hits the pad, but misses the sweet spot, you'll still know it. But, the fact that the pads are curved means the failed kick or punch won't accidentally slide up the pad and hit the pad holder in the face.

That particular model you linked to (the white, curved Fairtex set) is particularly nice. They have long elastic buckles, so you can cinch them down to fit you. But the straps are made in a way that once you've set them to be tight enough for your tastes, you can slip the pads off and on without having to redo the straps every time. And unlike a lot of the other brands I've used, the Fairtex pads' straps don't keep coming undone in the middle of training.

They also seem to be pretty durable. A lot of our trainers have had their sets of these pads for a good while.

I'm probably going to pick up a set of those pads myself after I get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Decades posted:

Well. If you run and wave your arms simultaneously, you're getting roadwork and arm exercise at the same time, for better overall conditioning, aren't you? I often have people jog and punch for a warmup for striking class. Better than just doing one or another. And if you like boxing, every punch or somewhat punchlike* movement you perform is towards home.

Also IIRC this really talented, like, Olympic level American wrestler who also competed in pro boxing in the early 20th century ran his 7 mile or whatever morning run holding a brick in each hand to condition his shoulders and mitts to stay up.

So you could try that too!

Oh and if someone doesn't have girly 2lbs weights around, and you are too cheap to buy a pair or are in a cabin in the woods or something just drink two 0,5 liter bottles of sugary water (or pour on the ground while screeching like an ape) and fill the bottle with sand. Now you have a light, improvised weight for shadow boxing and it's a tad annoying to hold so you also improve your grip strength, and you'll be better at massaging your girlfriend!

Or crushing skulls like melons! Although I'm not sure if a small sand filled bottle is enough resistance training to make melon skull crushing gripz.

*I would not count the arm... motions most hobbyists make while running or even walking as "punches".

• Locked thread