Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Thanks! They're pretty sharply priced so I'll get them soon. I've got a line on renthals so if I can be bothered I'll get those. Interestingly my instruments are the opposite of yours; I have chrome instrument housings with black plastic rings!

I had road mediums and Tuono mirrors on mine. I'm old and didn't want low bars. I didn't like the mirrors and went to CRG bar end mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

BlackLaser posted:

I had road mediums and Tuono mirrors on mine. I'm old and didn't want low bars.

I thought this too, as the name "ultra low" really turned me off. But they're really not that low at all. 1.55 inches lower than stock. Take your hands and put them out in the normal riding position, and then lower them an inch and a half. Nothing really changes beyond your arms being slightly lower. It's not like a pair of clip ons that are going to pull you forward and down 6-7 inches.

*edit*
Anyone wanna pair of 43mm woodcraft clip ons?

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 4, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackLaser posted:

I had road mediums and Tuono mirrors on mine. I'm old and didn't want low bars. I didn't like the mirrors and went to CRG bar end mirrors.

How do your bar-ends secure to the bike? Mine bolt to the weight inserts inside the bars. These inserts are only held in place by rubber o-rings so the mirrors constantly spin around. I'd like a better solution but I don't see how it would work.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Slavvy posted:

How do your bar-ends secure to the bike? Mine bolt to the weight inserts inside the bars. These inserts are only held in place by rubber o-rings so the mirrors constantly spin around. I'd like a better solution but I don't see how it would work.

I don't have the 919 anymore, but the mirrors clamped to the outside of the handlebar.
Like this:

Actually I think that has an insert in the bar that it clamps to, but you get the idea.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110549297773?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
What I use

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackLaser posted:

I don't have the 919 anymore, but the mirrors clamped to the outside of the handlebar.
Like this:

Actually I think that has an insert in the bar that it clamps to, but you get the idea.

Oh I see, that wouldn't work on the factory bars because you need some surplus pipe sticking out the end.

I have no idea how this is meant to work or what it does. The Honda system looks like this. The rubber thing on the extreme left, and another on the right, is the only thing that stops the whole thing from spinning inside the handlebar.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Slavvy posted:

I have no idea how this is meant to work or what it does. The Honda system looks like this. The rubber thing on the extreme left, and another on the right, is the only thing that stops the whole thing from spinning inside the handlebar.
It's a piece of rubber on a bolt with a nut on the end. You slide them into the bars, spin the bolt, and the nut will hold against the rubber and expand. I just made a pair tonight with some bolts and fuel line.

The contraption inside the 919 handlebars are held in by clips that go into these holes drilled in the bars. You can remove the bars, depress the clips, and they'll slide out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

Oh I see, that wouldn't work on the factory bars because you need some surplus pipe sticking out the end.

Nope, that mirror's not actually around the bar, it's clamped onto a bracket that uses an expanding piece of metal to hold itself into the bars. I thought they just went on the end too, until I got a pair.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

It's a piece of rubber on a bolt with a nut on the end. You slide them into the bars, spin the bolt, and the nut will hold against the rubber and expand. I just made a pair tonight with some bolts and fuel line.

The contraption inside the 919 handlebars are held in by clips that go into these holes drilled in the bars. You can remove the bars, depress the clips, and they'll slide out.

Yeah I know they come out, I've had mine out before. I don't trust the expanding rubber thingies, I can't see them holding the mirrors still at high speed. I think getting those tuono style mirrors will be the way to go.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
RhinoMoto also makes a set of bar ends with pre-made holds for those bar end mirrors.

Triumph Bar End Sliders

Those are for Triumphs, but they have a bunch for other brands.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
fffffffffff

uuuuuuuuuu

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

looks better without them imo

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yup, time for blockoff plates and bar ends.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That'll buff right out with some electrical tape and PVA glue.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Did you a favor to be honest.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Installed a USB socket this afternoon. Last weekend, I went for a long enough ride that my phone died on me. This was baby's first electronic install, so I kept it simple - right into the battery. Unfortunately, it lights up when it's plugged in. I'm paranoid that it will drain my battery while I'm out of town, so I just moved the fuse to a half-way convenient place on the side of my bike where I can pop the fuse out and keep it inside when I don't need it on. I might work on rewiring it when I have more time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just pick up a $2 toggle switch from Radio Shack and install that in-line with the 12v lead from the battery to the socket.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not to be a dick (lol) but he said it was his first install and it was literally a few screws, putting an in-line switch might be past his tools.

I installed a cigarette outlet with a usb adapter I put in it and it had a light too. I used to pull it out a bit when I parked cause I was worried about the same. Really tho I'd think a LCD light would be very little draw but who knows.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Keep in mind that USB ports are always draining the battery. I killed my battery more than once when the bike sat for a few days due to inclement weather. Either install a toggle switch or wire it to something that is only on when the bike is on.

I miss using cigarette lighters to power things. The wasn't a draw when not using the socket.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The fact that when you say "USB on a bike" I think bike > cigarette lighter fitted to an ign. on circuit > lighter socket to usb adaptor means I'm old, doesn't it?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Just use a usb adapter that plugs into a battery tender pigtail permanently installed into the battery. I have a usb adapter and a 12v socket adapter, gotta be prepared for anything

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
That's what I have now. I only plug it in when I need it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

EX250 Type R posted:

Just use a usb adapter that plugs into a battery tender pigtail permanently installed into the battery. I have a usb adapter and a 12v socket adapter, gotta be prepared for anything

The best part about this approach is the Battery Tender pigtails include the inline fuse that DIY types inevitably forget.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

• Tire pressure (front was like 1 psi low, rear was like 2 low)
  • Topped off oil (I think the Uly burns just a smidgin of oil. Not too much. It naturally wants to run at the bottom of the dip stick though.)
  • Adjusted the aux headlight
  • Adjusted the suspension (Double checked the manual and I got it closer, but no cigar)

e. As someone who lives in a high-rise and parks in a garage, this tool cart is amazing.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm at the shop today for my 16k mile service. Valves/spark plugs/air filter I guess? I already did the oil myself and I'm holding off doing the brakes for now. It's going to take 3-4 hours (he said he won't charge me for that long though, thankfully. $80/hr is crazy) and my ride is having car trouble so I have to hang out here all day and look at bikes they won't let me test ride.:emo:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Got my luggage rack and rotopax spare can set up today!

Also got a magnetic sedici tank bag but I'm not sure if it will stay on. It has 4 magnetic clasps but the seat goes so far forward the bottom one can't engage with anything and the top one in the middle only barely touches the tank just before the fuel cap. It doesn't move if I put my hand on it and try to gently wiggle it but if I tug it, it basically falls off. We'll see. I put my tools in it for now.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I see that you missed two.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
:drat:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

EX250 Type R posted:

I see that you missed two.

They're safe... for now :sparkles:

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
I'm waiting for the 4th coat of wax to dry now :shrek:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
God drat it. What I did to my ride today was strip the gently caress out of my front caliper bolt. Was removing the wheels to put some new shoes (Pirelli Rosso Corsa) on the bike. The front brake caliper bolts are 8mm hex socket head and I couldn't get them to budge so I jerry rigged a 3 foot cheater bar and removed the first 3 bolts. I didn't notice that I didn't have the tool properly seated in the last bolt and I stripped the gently caress out of the bolt. Now I can't get the bolt out or wheel out. Just spent 5 hours trying to remove this loving thing.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Replaces the old (and ruined) stock CV carburetor with a brand new S&S Super E. The kit was almost perfect, but S&S wouldn't be themselves if something wasn't off. The two bolts that hold the carb on the manifold were a fraction of an inch too long, and had to be replaced, and the throttle/idle cable leads on the carb that were supplied were of course the wrong tall ones, so the new throttle/idle cables didn't fit. Fortunately we found an old (and dead) S&S carb with short leads and fixed the issue.

After the installation bike got on the dyno, and the new carb was properly rejetted for the engine/exhaust system that is on.

Interestingly enough, the sound of the bike seems to have changed after the new carb was installed (or it's just me imagining things) but the throttle response is definitely better, and the bike runs smooth again :)

Here is some eye candy:

New Manifold on:

Carb on:

Filter and cover on (all work done actually):

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

adary posted:

Replaces the old (and ruined) stock CV carburetor with a brand new S&S Super E. The kit was almost perfect, but S&S wouldn't be themselves if something wasn't off. The two bolts that hold the carb on the manifold were a fraction of an inch too long, and had to be replaced, and the throttle/idle cable leads on the carb that were supplied were of course the wrong tall ones, so the new throttle/idle cables didn't fit. Fortunately we found an old (and dead) S&S carb with short leads and fixed the issue.

After the installation bike got on the dyno, and the new carb was properly rejetted for the engine/exhaust system that is on.

Interestingly enough, the sound of the bike seems to have changed after the new carb was installed (or it's just me imagining things) but the throttle response is definitely better, and the bike runs smooth again :)

Here is some eye candy:

New Manifold on:

Carb on:

Filter and cover on (all work done actually):

Throw some iron crosses on it and it will be perfect

I finally got a replacement part for this after almost a year, gonna install that tomorrow I think

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

EX250 Type R posted:

Throw some iron crosses on it and it will be perfect

I finally got a replacement part for this after almost a year, gonna install that tomorrow I think

I'm a Jew, currently residing in Israel. Iron cross is very frowned upon here. I would probably get linched or something

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

adary posted:

I'm a Jew, currently residing in Israel. Iron cross is very frowned upon here. I would probably get linched or something

How about Stars of David?

(It's a good looking bike though)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

adary posted:

:thejoke:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Marxalot posted:

How about Stars of David?

I can see it work if he makes them yellow.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A powder-coated Israeli flag on that air cleaner cover would actually look pretty slick.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Finally swapped the bald-rear end BT-45s out for a set of Pilot Streets.

The first ride out, I thought I had hosed something up when torquing down the steering stem bolt, since swerving and changing direction felt a little more sluggish.

Pretty sure I just forgot how new tires feel, and I actually have some grip again. I feel like I'm glued to the road in the best way possible. All I need to do now is set up the line and the bike tracks it perfectly.

Is any of this significant to me specifically because it's my first time on radials (besides dampening of bumps and imperfections), or is it just cuz I'm not rolling on squared-off rubber anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012
I changed my oil for the first time today, I feel very proud of myself and also covered in filth.