Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Psion posted:

e: also I'm wondering what's with all the asterisks myself
I think his keyboard might not have working parenthesis keys.

Edit:
\/\/\/\/
ah, that explains it

radintorov fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Honestly its basically carried over from the places I've posted or just generally talked in the past. From CoH where ** denoted ooc talking to roleplaying forums where it denotes thoughts. They basically have almost replaced , marks in my vocabulary and I normally try to limit them when I notice myself going to over board with them. For now they mostly denote separate thoughts or further explanation that I feel is required due to my.....social inadequacies? I have Asperger's and it causes me a fair amount of trouble with communicating what I mean in a way others understand. Also generally leaves me overtyping out messages, ranting for considerably longer then I probably should*as in typing out a post then reading through it and cutting out paragraphs that I find are unnecessary*, and generally speaking oddly. But this isn't about me and I've lived with it my life sooo. Yes they had a wonderful sale down at St. Asterisk in scribblenauts.

Personally I've quite enjoyed this LP so far and it helped ease me back into the game and Enemy Within quite well. So cheers to Jade and Guava both.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Chaeden posted:

Honestly its basically carried over from the places I've posted or just generally talked in the past. From CoH where ** denoted ooc talking to roleplaying forums where it denotes thoughts. They basically have almost replaced , marks in my vocabulary and I normally try to limit them when I notice myself going to over board with them. For now they mostly denote separate thoughts or further explanation that I feel is required due to my.....social inadequacies? I have Asperger's and it causes me a fair amount of trouble with communicating what I mean in a way others understand. Also generally leaves me overtyping out messages, ranting for considerably longer then I probably should*as in typing out a post then reading through it and cutting out paragraphs that I find are unnecessary*, and generally speaking oddly. But this isn't about me and I've lived with it my life sooo. Yes they had a wonderful sale down at St. Asterisk in scribblenauts.

Personally I've quite enjoyed this LP so far and it helped ease me back into the game and Enemy Within quite well. So cheers to Jade and Guava both.

If you change your asterisks for parenthesis, it becomes perfectly readable. Still, it's completely understandable, and now that I'm aware of it I can read it just fine.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Green Intern posted:

You get those asterisks on sale?

Steam Flash Sale.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Pvt.Scott posted:

I believe the official stance is that the developers have had more than enough time to fix the issue, so now it's a feature, not a bug. A feature that only exists for PC.

Didn't someone earlier in the thread mention that the tablet port also has it? So the XBox is actually the odd man out for not having it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I believe the official stance is that the developers have had more than enough time to fix the issue, so now it's a feature, not a bug. A feature that only exists for PC.

And iOS, in case anyone but me plays that version.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I bought and started a playthrough of EU on my Android phone because of this thread, and the trick works there too. They could've fixed it like three times by now.

Also I'm really impressed with how well they managed to translate XCOM to phone, but it murders my battery.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Besides which, it's not as if it's a difficult to perform 'bug'. Given how easy it is to use, and how little of a difference it makes in the long run, I'd say there's no reason not to. Maybe if there was some highly convoluted series of events to perform it then one might complain, but it doesn't take any longer than just putting someone on Overwatch normally.

Or, to put it less diplomatically; If it bothers you that much, you're free to not watch the videos. Although if something so minor has that big an effect... Well. Nothing else need be said, really.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it's just not that easy to fix? It might break the weapon switching mechanics on such a scale that it would take way too much effort to recode. I still consider it an exploit (but that doesn't mean I don't use it.)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Neither of us used the sniper overwatch bug on the next two videos currently processing, if that helps.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

GuavaMoment posted:

Neither of us used the sniper overwatch bug on the next two videos currently processing, if that helps.

Processing as in, up on Youtube tonight? :unsmith:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Teddybear posted:

Processing as in, up on Youtube tonight? :unsmith:

Processing as in Jade spends an hour each video editing the audio, putting the new audio track on top of the blank video and then uploading it. So not tonight, but this weekend sure.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Saying an unfixed bug that is 100% a bug is now a "feature" is pretty bullshit and you guys know it. Renaming your soldiers to Sid Meier is a feature too, that doesn't mean you have to use it every game.

Anyways to be clear I'm not calling people who use the bug cheaters, it's a singleplayer game. JadeStar & everyone else can play how you want -- I modded the game to make the first few weeks of Impossible slightly less nasty. It's just a turn-off for me in an LP because I'd rather see the game how it's meant to be played rather than exploits. If JS was using the movement grid or grenade scanning to find hidden aliens I'd feel the same way.

It's not that big a deal, and I know I'm free to take my opinion and go make my own Xcom LP (with blackjack and hookers). The irritation came more from the proclamation that SquadSight was the best skill and then using a bug to make it so. It's like hacking the game to make Flush deal 100% damage; I wouldn't tell people it was the best skill because of that. For the record I don't even disagree that SquadSight still has the edge on Snap Shot.

notZaar posted:

Maybe it's just not that easy to fix?
Given how they use Unreal animation system in ways that are responsible for quite a few other bugs, it might not be completely trivial. But likely they never fixed it because it isn't harmful to the game in any way (like doesn't lock the game or cause detrimental effects) -- except for in multiplayer, and given all the other bugs in xcom multiplayer it's actually the least offensive.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 7, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
So... Squad Sight is a great skill but only because the game is being broken but even when it isn't it's still a great skill and far better than the alternative options and what are you trying to say here?

I don't see what the problem is with this thing. Sure, it's a bug, a broken game mechanic, you can even call it a special bonus like the unique named super-solider characters (it really isn't, but this is your comparison, do what you like), whatever. Yes, it may not be an intentional part of the game's design. But at the same time, this is the hardest difficulty, in a game reknowned for screwing you in ridiculous and unnecessary ways, by game mechanics, glitches and luck so bad it could be called obscene. And this is one bug in one aspect of one of the game's phases. This is not some pathway to bending the game's spine over your knee. If you can win with this trick, I'll guess you could probably win without it. I'll forgive them using a "feature" that has such large inverted commas around it that you can hear them spoken out loud.

Hell, I play this on PS3 (where the interface isn't even sufficiently broken for this to work), and I don't mind that they use this in the LP even thought it's not a thing I could take advantage of. There's still the tons and tons of information about movement and positioning tactics, enemy types, weaponry, research, game mechanics, special scenarios, etc. This one thing that makes snipers slightly more reliable as snipers is not going to tip the balance and make the entire LP worthless.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Given the bug is fixed in many of the versions of it (I have the PS3 and Mac versions of the game and it doesn't work on either) it's probably fixable if they really cared. Which they clearly don't, or they would. It's not really that important because even without the bug Squad Sight is still amazing and Snap Shot kind of blah.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Klyith posted:

Saying an unfixed bug that is 100% a bug is now a "feature" is pretty bullshit and you guys know it.

I wouldn't be surprised if noone has ever used the phrase "it's not a bug, it's a feature" without being tongue-in-cheek, even as easily broken as absolutes are.

Feinne posted:

Given the bug is fixed in many of the versions of it (I have the PS3 and Mac versions of the game and it doesn't work on either) it's probably fixable if they really cared. Which they clearly don't, or they would. It's not really that important because even without the bug Squad Sight is still amazing and Snap Shot kind of blah.

New tally on bug's platform viability...

Can use: 3 (PC, iOS, Android)
Can't use: 3 (XBox, PS3, Mac)

Aww, it's tied again. :(

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sadly, we're still waiting for the government to create a sarcasm detector
(they are seriously working on this to try and avoid arresting people because they made a sarcasm while they spy on us.)

Squadsight is superior, QED.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Here's the oficial Firaxis statement about the overwatch bug

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Having only played the 360 version, Squadsight is still head, shoulders, and a significant portion of ribcage above Snap Shot, but I still feel like this shouldn't even be a choice we need to make. Granted, that's 80% nostalgia.

What the overwatch bug/feature mostly devalues is Gunslinger, in my opinion.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Felinoid posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if noone has ever used the phrase "it's not a bug, it's a feature" without being tongue-in-cheek, even as easily broken as absolutes are.

New tally on bug's platform viability...

Can use: 3 (PC, iOS, Android)
Can't use: 3 (XBox, PS3, Mac)

Aww, it's tied again. :(

Dunno what's wrong with that mac version, it works fine for both methods on both of my iMacs. 4 to 2, feature wins, only hampered by lack of specially-used hotkeys.

E: Hahahaha, it seems to me like a version is "wrong" because of a bugfix; I guess I'm biased.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 7, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dareon posted:

What the overwatch bug/feature mostly devalues is Gunslinger, in my opinion.

Until you realize there is a separate but similar bug that gives pistols the range of sniper rifles. :v:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Zomborgon posted:

Dunno what's wrong with that mac version, it works fine for both methods on both of my iMacs. 4 to 2, feature wins, only hampered by lack of specially-used hotkeys.

E: hahahaha, it seems like a vetsion is "wrong" because of a bugfix, guess I'm biased

Maybe I can still do it by cycling through people who have acted or something, I'm not sure I've really given an earnest try to that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
E: Wrong thread

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 8, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Klyith posted:

It's just a turn-off for me in an LP because I'd rather see the game how it's meant to be played rather than exploits.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but I'm always a bit surprised by this sort of attitude. I mean, when I pick up a game I just do whatever. I don't care. It's a game and I wanna have fun. If that involves "exploiting" the heck out of something, then hey, whatever. I've never ever for one moment ever thought video games were meant to be played a certain way. You just do what's fun.

Just a thought.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Holla Holla Get Tears

Polsy

Coming from the thread suggestions this video is the same mission done twice. First as normal as done by me, and then done again by Guava. It's pretty interesting to see how each of our moves resulted in different events happening and how we dealt with them. I think I might have chosen a poor map for this experiment as the mission is pretty short sighted and neither of us really get very far into the map or explore anywhere before the mission is over from wiping out the aliens. So it might be worth trying again on a larger abduction mission or one of the bigger crashed UFOs.

Couple interesting things happen in both videos. We see that civilians have two hp, which is... useless to know really but it's kind of cool! The introduction of Shaky Cam left Guava speechless for a moment. Sprahl should have been dead twice over on my playthrough, and even in Guava's half the Chryssalids show bizarre AI and chose not to attack at all.

As a minor side note, Guava has talked me out of closing the thread twice now. Stop it with the sniper overwatch discussion. It's been covered three or four times already. I'd like to threaten something more fun like not ever using snipers again so people shut up about it, but knowing you guys that'd be some sort of fun extra feature like lemming squad.

Additionally I guess I direct copied a few of the Gifs made by hopeford? They don't look like they're working in the Op, so if you can repost or PM them to me so I can be smart about things, save them, and rehost them not on your bandwidth, that'd be cool.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
That is. quite possibly, the greatest title for a mission ever.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Pyroi posted:

It's the kinda mission name that begs for a full squad wipe

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Jade Star posted:

Couple interesting things happen in both videos. We see that civilians have two hp, which is... useless to know really but it's kind of cool!

That is really weird because I know I have had drones one-shot civvies with 1 damage shots on multiple occasions. I'm not sure if any of them have been in the expansion though, so maybe that was a change? Definitely a good change, because it was really silly back in EU to need to prioritize drones (or intentionally leave a damaged cyberdisc for them to heal) to save civvies.

Shaky Cam was fun and I've had that happen to me too, but never on Lightning Reflexes. It usually happens to me when I swap (or get swapped) to someone who's just finishing up a dash at the very end of the turn. Shaky Cam then persists through the entire alien turn. Can make it a touch difficult to see what's going on, but it's still fun, and it's not like you can affect anything during the alien turn anyway.

That delayed end to Guava's mission was thanks to the zombie corpse. If one should stand up on the next alien turn, it can't end the mission during your turn. But then once it is the alien turn, if it has no friends it decides not to become a zombie and the mission ends then. It's a little weird, but it doesn't hurt anything and probably made for easier programming.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Jade Star posted:

Additionally I guess I direct copied a few of the Gifs made by hopeford? They don't look like they're working in the Op, so if you can repost or PM them to me so I can be smart about things, save them, and rehost them not on your bandwidth, that'd be cool.

Oh oops, my bad, sorry about that. Website I liked using for images went down recently, so that's probably what happened. Time for me to use imgur like a normal person! Think those are all I made for the thread:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what it is about your videos, but they always bug out on me when I watch them on YouTube through the iPad app. The audio is fine but the video tends to stutter and then run at double speed to catch up. It never happens to other videos. This game can even bug out YouTube.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that was the best soundtrack. I realize you probably don't want to do it ever again, but I laughed.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
You can't call out Guava for getting lucky that a Cryssalid bugged out and went for the conspicuously out-of-cover Sniper when the game saved Sprahl not once but twice in your game. :colbert:

I think the game sometimes has a marked preference for going after things that are out of cover or flanked, even when it makes no sense for it to.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You can't call out Guava for getting lucky that a Cryssalid bugged out and went for the conspicuously out-of-cover Sniper when the game saved Sprahl not once but twice in your game. :colbert:

Oh yeah, Sprahl should have been dead. Rip Sprahl. But the guava chryssalid didn't even deal damage to anyone. The damage that could have killed sprahl was at least absorbed somewhere else. That's all i meant to call on guava.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Change Sprahl's nickname to "rip".

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pyroi posted:

Especially since it's a Jadestyle V Guavastyle

Changing the mission names continues to pay off.

Sprahl - SOMEHOW cheating death.
And spending less time in sickbay than Hilda.

Guava had a vivilian that did a Cartwheel, he wins

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The AI always gets a little weird on terror missions, because they've got all these juicy, no-cover, almost-guaranteed kills hanging around. I'm pretty sure the reason Guava's cyberdisc peaced out for a turn was because it decided to go snack on a civvie (That then died automatically because you couldn't see it)

Personally, I want to see you both tackle a battleship. An abductor, cargo barge, or Deluge would also probably make for good contrasts.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm really looking forward to another one of these where Guava proceeds to just accidentally send any and all assaults to their glorious deaths.

Also, snapshot actually is really good, it's just that squadsight is so good that you can literally base your entire play style around it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AnoHito posted:

I'm really looking forward to another one of these where Guava proceeds to just accidentally send any and all assaults to their glorious deaths.

Also, snapshot actually is really good, it's just that squadsight is so good that you can literally base your entire play style around it.

Goons. Goons never change.

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!

Jade Star posted:

Oh yeah, Sprahl should have been dead. Rip Sprahl. But the guava chryssalid didn't even deal damage to anyone. The damage that could have killed sprahl was at least absorbed somewhere else. That's all i meant to call on guava.

Jade Star once again proves why Napoleon said "I have plenty of clever generals but just give me a lucky one."

Jade Star posted:

As a minor side note, Guava has talked me out of closing the thread twice now. Stop it with the sniper overwatch discussion. It's been covered three or four times already. I'd like to threaten something more fun like not ever using snipers again so people shut up about it, but knowing you guys that'd be some sort of fun extra feature like lemming squad.

If this is really annoying you that much add a note in the OP explaining what is crimethink and what is goodthink.

Edit: Oh you did, perhaps put it right at the top with :siren: around it.

AhrimanPK fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I never noticed before that the Cyberdiscs have adorable little claws that they wiggle.
Did Firaxis at some point had an idea for a Cyberdisc melee attack? Or did some designer go "These guys look to intimidating, we need to make them cuter".

• Locked thread