Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Did not expect to see Ygritte shoot Jon Snow dead on the toilet with an arrow last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
:vince:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I am like so loving happy that potatoes kid murdered Ygritte. Like, she shoots his potatoes dad in the face, and he looks over his should, seeing her and swears that he will have his revengeance. Then he does get his revengeance and gets to be a smug motherfucker to Jon Snow, being all like "I told you I was the best archer. Bitch."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mister Fister posted:

Could softened him up with some arrows at least.

I think they said they already put 20 arrows into him.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
For the people who hated the episode: Watch it again.

You expected your usual share of :monocle: GoT intrigue, to learn Tyrion's fate, or even some kind of resolution to the Wall plotline. It didn't happen. There's Neil Marshall directed fanmovie instead.

But now that you saw what it did or didn't deliver and maybe dealt with it, then looking it again.... as a TV episode it's actually really well done and bar-raising as far as sheer action piece.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I am sad that Ygritte died, but happy that Thormund lives.

That was a great episode. Though I'm kind of disappointed there wasn't a clear resolution, since we know they aren't going to have the budget for two back to back huge battles, which kind of suggests the wall situation will be resolved without an (onscreen) battle.

GlennApplebeck
Apr 7, 2014

I thought it was important to bring in my little pony today

after seeing his command on top of the wall who could not support tollett for lord commander

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I am like so loving happy that potatoes kid murdered Ygritte. Like, she shoots his potatoes dad in the face, and he looks over his should, seeing her and swears that he will have his revengeance. Then he does get his revengeance and gets to be a smug motherfucker to Jon Snow, being all like "I told you I was the best archer. Bitch."

That was the same kid? I didn't even realize that since he was such a minor character. Oh well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm backing my boy potato kid.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 9, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

No More Heroes posted:

Pretty sure the wildlings regarded that attack as a probe or a skirmish seeing as how most of them just lined up and yelled at the wall. They tested the tunnel/gate, seeing what would happen if they climbed and what kinda archer strength they got.

And also discovered the scythe :unsmith:

Mance wasnt even in the episode, hes probably warming his rear end by the huge fire with 100 giants and 75k wildlings all loving bears.

Probably the plan was for the army north of the wall to draw most of the defenders out of the castle and up to the top, so that Thormund & Co. would have a better chance to take the castle from the south.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Shwqa posted:

I'm backing my boy potato kid.

Potato kid is a class traitor, fighting on the side of the Nights Watch noble rejects who kept his potato family in poverty.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Doltos posted:

Spears also tend to snap in half easily because they're made of wood, something you don't exactly want to use against a giant that just lifted a 5k pound gate.

Which is why you bring a few along with your sword. They could've been hitting that giant a bunch before he even broke the second gate. It was dumb.

But then, they could've just not let the giants camp out at the gate (also if they could just lift it, why bother with the mammoth?The 2 giants could've just held it up while the wildlings shored it up and bam, gate crisis averted).

I liked the episode, just thought the gate poo poo was silly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

the posted:

That was the same kid? I didn't even realize that since he was such a minor character. Oh well.

"Previously on" shows you the relevant characters in an episode and why they're relevant. You can do a good job of predicting episodes just watching "previously on Game of Thrones..."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why wouldn't they have some kind of murder-hole arrangement, or more than one inner gate, in that tunnel?

Also some kind of basic latching mechanism would have been useful so that they don't have to rely solely on gravity to keep the outer gate closed. Even without giants the attackers could easily have set up some kind of lever mechanism to jack that gate open between burning oil attacks.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

withak posted:

Why wouldn't they have some kind of murder-hole arrangement, or more than one inner gate, in that tunnel?

Also some kind of basic latching mechanism would have been useful so that they don't have to rely solely on gravity to keep the outer gate closed. Even without giants the attackers could easily have set up some kind of lever arrangement to jack that gate open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Has anyone in the series had as many boss fights as Jon snow?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

withak posted:

Also some kind of basic latching mechanism would have been useful so that they don't have to rely solely on gravity to keep the outer gate closed. Even without giants the attackers could easily have set up some kind of lever mechanism to jack that gate open between burning oil attacks.

This would have made all the difference. Dumb crows :rolleyes:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
People keep complaining about the White Walkers never showing up despite having plenty of time to march on the wall. I think the idea there is that they're not an army on the march so much as a supernatural force that's becoming more and more active as it gets closer to winter.

The wildlings are trying to force their way past the wall because they're sick of their villages getting wiped out by magical cold-demons that appear at random and turn everyone into zombies. Maybe the attack on the Fist of the First Men was something similar to White Walker attacks on random wildling villages, and not actually a sign that they were pressing south or anything.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Tyrion and his proxies

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
Put me on the "Great Episode" side. When Grenn starts reciting the Night's Watch oath in the tunnel, Jon Snow with the people's hammer, the giant's arrow, fat goon's headshot, all such good scenes.

But then, the best part may have been Janos Slynt's brain breaking.
"There's no such thing as giants!"
*looks at giants advancing on mammoths*
"Nope. Nuh-uh. No such thing."
*brain trying to process something important...*
"I'm needed downstairs? KBye."

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Blastedhellscape posted:

People keep complaining about the White Walkers never showing up despite having plenty of time to march on the wall. I think the idea there is that they're not an army on the march so much as a supernatural force that's becoming more and more active as it gets closer to winter.

This might make sense if they didn't show a huge ice zombie army being led by while walkers heading towards the wall at the end of season 2.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Put me on the "Great Episode" side. When Grenn starts reciting the Night's Watch oath in the tunnel, Jon Snow with the people's hammer, the giant's arrow, fat goon's headshot, all such good scenes.

But then, the best part may have been Janos Slynt's brain breaking.
"There's no such thing as giants!"
*looks at giants advancing on mammoths*
"Nope. Nuh-uh. No such thing."
*brain trying to process something important...*
"I'm needed downstairs? KBye."

Yeah it was a 40 minute battle, and probably better done than black water. You could always tell at black water there was only like twenty dudes in any scene. This leant itself better to television and was really loving well shot.

Jon snow jumping out of the god damned elevator and just rampaging was cool as hell, and then they did the sick dolly shot.

ironlung posted:

This might make sense if they didn't show a huge ice zombie army being led by while walkers heading towards the wall at the end of season 2.

They weren't marching to the wall, but to where the nights watch was camped out. That was a really far ways away.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Decent episode, but I feel like the battle could've been 20 minutes shorter. Also, what the gently caress are the white walkers doing? I thought they were, like, within a few days' march of the wall two seasons ago, and wasn't that months or years ago? It'd be fine if they just showed a few white walkers that far south, like scouts or whatever, but didn't season 2 end with a dramatic shot of a white walker army marching on the wall?

You saw them a few episodes ago accepting a baby sacrifice at Crester's Keep and doing a weird baby ritual. It didn't look like they were marching on anything.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

withak posted:

There was a lot of lengthy description about the tunnel in the books that obviously would be too time consuming for the show. They had murder holes and frozen gates and what not.

Also they didn't predict that giants would loving deadlift 5k pounds of steel gate which is why they didn't throw a bicycle lock on that sucker.

FizFashizzle posted:

Why are people calling named characters fighting 'boss fights' now? I literally haven't seen this phrase pop up in either thread for the duration of this shows existence until this last episode.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

My theory is that the White Walkers got lost on the way to the wall because they're all inbred retards.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

withak posted:

I think it's easy to forget that the Wall is not a conventional wall. It's a huge loving slab of mostly ice and rock. Installing those gates was probably an enormous undertaking, and even the maintenance is probably a major issue. That's why they couldn't just close the tunnel and then open it back up later. Murder holes would probably close up really quickly.

Also, the giant smashed up the gate when he got there. Maybe there was a lock.

Would've been hilarious if after he lifted it, there was just a big rear end wall of ice behind it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

pigdog posted:

For the people who hated the episode: Watch it again.

You expected your usual share of :monocle: GoT intrigue, to learn Tyrion's fate, or even some kind of resolution to the Wall plotline. It didn't happen. There's Neil Marshall directed fanmovie instead.

But now that you saw what it did or didn't deliver and maybe dealt with it, then looking it again.... as a TV episode it's actually really well done and bar-raising as far as sheer action piece.
I too like intrigue more than battle, but if the kitchen sends me a plate full of hot spicy battle I'm not going to send it back.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Doltos posted:

Why are people calling named characters fighting 'boss fights' now? I literally haven't seen this phrase pop up in either thread for the duration of this shows existence until this last episode.

Because there were clearly several fights between protagonists that people care about/relate with and big mean antagonists that resembled boss fights in video games.

Did I really have to explain that just now?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Gonna farm Tormund Giantsbane. Hope his dick drops so I can unlock the Bearfucker perk.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AndyElusive posted:

Because there were clearly several fights between protagonists that people care about/relate with and big mean antagonists that resembled boss fights in video games.

Did I really have to explain that just now?

No you really didn't because you didn't understand what I said but you wanted to post smugly about it anyway.

I'm asking why people think that just because two actors with dialogue fight that it's a 'boss fight', regardless of protagonist vs antagonist. Jon had the most boss fights out of anyone? The gently caress are you talking about? He fought Tanner and Big Thenn, and I guess you can sort of count Qhorin Halfhand. Alliser Thorne fought Tormund, cool, guess what, they're both big named guys on two different sides of a conflict. They're bound to fight each other.

What, did people really expect all the dialogue actors to just cleave through extra fodder for an hour?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
So many awesome moments this episode. The dude getting crunched by the mammoth. The big death anchor smearing fools across the wall like a wet turd. The guys getting lowered over the wall on those ropes. The Giant's bow and arrow that sent that dude flying over the other side. That scene they shot continuously of...Tormund Giantsbane I think? That was really cool as well. Really fun episode to watch!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Ygritte lagged out and Potato boy ganked Jon Snuh's kill and he didn't get any XP

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Doltos posted:

I'm asking why people think that just because two actors with dialogue fight that it's a 'boss fight', regardless of protagonist vs antagonist.

Do you seriously have a stick that far up your rear end right now??

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

ironlung posted:

Ygritte lagged out and Potato boy ganked Jon Snuh's kill and he didn't get any XP

Technically Jon Snuh tagged it first to complete the Ginger Minge Quest

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

fletcher posted:

Do you seriously have a stick that far up your rear end right now??

Yeah I got really annoyed seeing everyone complain about this last episode and throwing around the term as a reason that they were annoyed at really cool action sequences between great actors with great choreography.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Doltos posted:

Yeah I got really annoyed seeing everyone complain about this last episode and throwing around the term as a reason that they were annoyed at really cool action sequences between great actors with great choreography.

Now I liked the episode too, but "great actors"? Many of these boss fights involved Jon Snow.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You're assuming 'boss fight' is a derogatory term. It's just something nerds use to describe climatic fights between named characters that happen after you watch a bunch of them slay NPCs left and right.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

marktheando posted:

Now I liked the episode too, but "great actors"? Many of these boss fights involved Jon Snow.

He improved a lot from season 1. I blame his character more than the actor though. There's very little to work with with Jon Snow because the character is very introspective and the most you get out of him is how others treat him.

AndyElusive posted:

You're assuming 'boss fight' is a derogatory term. It's just something nerds use to describe climatic fights between named characters that happen after you watch a bunch of them slay NPCs left and right.

Fair enough. I was seeing it in conjunction with people complaining about the episode a lot and it irked me. I was also curious where it came from because I really didn't see anyone call fights between named characters 'boss fights' through the duration of many similar shows, like Rome or Spartacus.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

marktheando posted:

I don't get the Jon Snow hate around here. In this particular episode, I thought his scenes were outstanding and his fight scenes especially were really well done. The whole Ygritte scene was cheesy, but he can't help that. Plus he has loving Ghost and Ghost kicks all kinds of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Snuh and his actor have had some great scenes this season, same goes for Sansa (another character that goons love to hate)

• Locked thread