Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreadLlama posted:

The same guys who made War Thunder also made a game called StarConflict. It's about flying around in space and shooting at guys. I played it a bit and it seems pretty alright. What's Christ Robert's doing so different that his game works worse than something that like 3 guys in a basement in Russia made?

That's an unfair comparison, StarConflict had an extremely small budget and were pressured by publishers to release a working and entertaining game with multiplayer support, they didn't have the incredible hurdles that Star Citizen had to go through to release a pre-alpha demo simulator of a simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?
I read in an article in the gamestar (beware of german language: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/star-citizen/artikel/star_citizen,48820,3056240.html ) that chris roberts biggest worry is the development of the new netcode because he has no experience there.

quote:

Deswegen ist derzeit das zweite Cloud-Imperium-Team in Austin damit befasst, eine völlig neue Netzwerksoftware zu schreiben, die für ihre Berechnungen auf eine ganze Serverfarm zurückgreifen kann. Es ist dieser Teil der Entwicklung, der Chris Roberts als einziger ein wenig Sorgen macht, sagt er, weil er sich darin selbst noch nicht so gut auskennt.

I share that and my guess is that netcode/multiplayer is where the game breaks or makes it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Yeah, if things aren't synched up right I bet we'll end up with horrible hit detection issues, and hilarious bugs as crewmembers fly out of their ships at random times and into open space.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

That's an unfair comparison, StarConflict had an extremely small budget and were pressured by publishers to release a working and entertaining game with multiplayer support, they didn't have the incredible hurdles that Star Citizen had to go through to release a pre-alpha demo simulator of a simulator.

The incredible hurdles of actually making a game on that clusterfuck known as CryEngine, amirite?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

Star Conflict is a terrible example of what to do with a game anyway because it's one of those rare cases where a developer actually put a good game our the door and then ruined it with their own hand post-release. The game was good and the player base was expanding, but they severely mismanaged it and sunk the whole game.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I've tried StarConflict and liked it, but I was told after the first few tiers the game goes to crap. Does it become p2w, or is it just badly balanced as a whole?

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Star Conflict is a terrible example of what to do with a game anyway because it's one of those rare cases where a developer actually put a good game our the door and then ruined it with their own hand post-release. The game was good and the player base was expanding, but they severely mismanaged it and sunk the whole game.

So there's a second MWO out there?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

GreenLight posted:

I read in an article in the gamestar (beware of german language: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/star-citizen/artikel/star_citizen,48820,3056240.html ) that chris roberts biggest worry is the development of the new netcode because he has no experience there.

A lot of goons have have been saying this since the start. They need to build the entire net infrastructure, which cryengine doesn't have. They get to do it from scratch, like any other MMO type game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harabeck posted:

So there's a second MWO out there?

It's the story of every game Gaijin releases. They start off awesome, and then they heap grind on grind with every post-release update.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Av027 posted:

Pretty sure they said that they were keeping up the same pace they had set leading up to releasing version 0.8 until they had version 1.0 out the door (would include multi-crew ships, and some additional game modes). I wouldn't associate the lack of update with a lack of effort.

I wasn't referring to their actual effort on the game. I mean their effort in releasing updates on the state of the game.

With regards to the game, I guess we'll see. It would be nice for there to be multiplayer before uh... September?

imperialparadox posted:

The current radar is horrible, with vision obscuring 3D models and that tend to blend in with each other. I really think that they should borrow Elite's radar, which uses little triangles and squares to represent ships, and even indicates when you are near an object like an asteroid. It's so much easier to read and actually conveys useful information at a glance. SC's radar seems like some graphics guy got carried away with what he thought sounded cool, without giving a thought to the actual functionality of the thing.

BitBasher posted:

The radar works great with an Oculus Rift because the 3d radar and depth perception using it actually mean something.

I'm holding off on the rift until they release a version with half decent resolution, but that's an interesting note on things that the radar seems designed for it. What they should do is allow people to switch between 2d and 3d radar modes. I still have no idea how they can help you track your orientation in space, especially with all the turning that the average dogfight seems to require.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I'm holding off on the rift until they release a version with half decent resolution, but that's an interesting note on things that the radar seems designed for it. What they should do is allow people to switch between 2d and 3d radar modes. I still have no idea how they can help you track your orientation in space, especially with all the turning that the average dogfight seems to require.

I don't think it's really designed for it, it's basically the same radar that was in previous Wing Commanders. It just happens to be a lot more useful viewed as an actual 3d object because of stereo vision all of a sudden doing something.

I have a DevKit 2 ordered but I have more cash than sense. Waiting for the public release is likely the right move.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 10, 2014

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

BitBasher posted:

I don't think it's really designed for it, it's basically the same radar that was in previous Wing Commanders. It just happens to be a lot more useful viewed as an actual 3d object because of stereo vision all of a sudden doing something.

Hm, alternatively, them locking the plane and just indicating the direction of your ship rather than spinning the whole drat thing might be nice, with a keyboard option to rotate it just to discern where objects are.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
No it's an Elite/X style radar. The Wing Commander radar does not indicate height and position relative to the player ship. It looked like this:

Much simpler, not as much information, but it makes getting the current target into view extremely easy, because all you need to do is get the targeted enemy into the center in the shortest distance. If I recall the thin outer ring indicates "behind player", the 4 sectors around the center circle are "above, below, right and left of player" and the center ring is "in front of player".

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Maybe I was thinking of X wing style radar.

Edit: gently caress, I have no idea what game I was thinking of. Single horizontal plane with dots that had vertical lines that lead up or down to the central plane.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
When star conflict was first released there was no reason to play anything except frigates in the point capture mode So I don't see how they could have made the balance worse (Never got lategame).

Also the netcode would cause small ships to oscillate wildly...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Edit: gently caress, I have no idea what game I was thinking of. Single horizontal plane with dots that had vertical lines that lead up or down to the central plane.

A lot of games had that style of radar, X is the one I know best. Elite is also using it now, and I think always had it.

The Star Wars games had another style of radar, which I've never seen anywhere else - two 2D radars, one for the front half-sphere area and one for the aft half-sphere area. I think they did that because the books mention the sensors working that way, but it gets you some very interesting functions - like a "target behind player" button in addition to the classic "target thing under crosshair".

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Av027 posted:

Pretty sure they said that they were keeping up the same pace they had set leading up to releasing version 0.8 until they had version 1.0 out the door (would include multi-crew ships, and some additional game modes). I wouldn't associate the lack of update with a lack of effort.

1.0 doesn't include multi-crew ships, that's 2.0. 1.0 is complete rollout of multiplayer to all backers and all game modes in place and functional, and should be a substantially shorter wait than 2.0.

According to :lesnick: CIG is essentially in crunch mode until 1.0 is out, then the focus shifts somewhat to the FPS module and integration, since 2.0 will incorporate elements of it in the Capture the Idris mode.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

BitBasher posted:

I'm almost positive you're talking about the Xwing/TIE Fighter radar but it's been way too many years to remember.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

A rear-view radar actually sounds useful; would be funny if you had aft-firing missiles as a surprise for people tailing you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A front/rear radar view is precisely how TIE Fighter and X-Wing did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbitTfqz7_0

The important thing is that it was ridiculously easy to find out what your bearing was relative to a given target. Both the Wing Commander and TIE Fighter radars revealed the same info. TIE Fighter also had a very intuitive targeting system; aim for the target and fire when your reticle turned green.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

DatonKallandor posted:

Elite is also using it now, and I think always had it.

Yup.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

TIE Fighter also had a very intuitive targeting system; aim for the target and fire when your reticle turned green.

Aim ahead of the target. Death to gimbaled weapons.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

epmode posted:

Aim ahead of the target. Death to gimbaled weapons.

X-Wings had gimbaled weapons. They used them to set the convergence to the target distance automatically (and older Headhunters made you select manually between 3 or 4 different convergence settings, with no automatics) in the X-Wing games.

And the way AC works is incredibly true to the Star Wars fighter combat of the books, where it's all about predicting the enemy movement to help your extremely accurate targeting computer make the shots for you. Including green brackets going active at 2km for perfect shots provided the target didn't move. The only thing we're missing right now is cycling shields between front and back so you can survive the first head-on pass better and it's not so a random dice throw.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 11, 2014

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

And the way AC works is incredibly true to the Star Wars fighter combat of the books, where it's all about predicting the enemy movement to help your extremely accurate targeting computer make the shots for you. Including green brackets going active at 2km for perfect shots provided the target didn't move. The only thing we're missing right now is cycling shields between front and back so you can survive the first head-on pass better and it's not so a random dice throw.

You haven't seen the voiceattack video where the guy set voice commands to set Max Shields Foreward and Max Shields Rear?

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

X-Wings had gimbaled weapons. They used them to set the convergence to the target distance automatically (and older Headhunters made you select manually between 3 or 4 different convergence settings, with no automatics) in the X-Wing games.

I don't recall the X-Wing convergence bit but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

You can't deny that aiming in Star Citizen is very different than X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Freespace which are easily my favorite space sims to date. It's not even like the Chris Roberts games I've played (Wing Commander/Privateer). And at the moment, I much prefer the basic targeting in those games to Star Citizen's craaazy gimbals.

I have no allegiance to Star Wars books, by the way. Or even the films. If I did, I doubt I would have gotten over the much slower laser fire.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The AC gimbals really aren't that crazy once you get a lot of games under your belt - they don't turn fast enough to keep up with extremely close passes and turn fights under certain distances, so it's all about over-turning and trying to get an angle where the gimbals don't have to move as far or as fast. It's a lot like Freespace if the missile lock mechanic was your primary weapon mechanic - trying to keep the enemy centered, but also not moving the view around too much.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I like the X/Elite style radar the most, myself. It provides all the information of a 3D display while doing it in a very easy to understand 2D format. I remember in X I could tell exactly where I was relative to other ships, asteroids, stations, and everything else. I know croberts et al like style in a lot of cases, but this is one where the substance is drat important. Even if they would let us switch between radar modes, that would be enough for me.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's not my favorite, but I can live with the X/Elite style - but the way it's implemented in AC is just plain terrible. The Icons are indistinct and gigantic and all of it swims in a sea of blue on other shade of blue, with some more blue in it - and a bit of orange on orange.

I'm honestly surprised they went with one of the traditional radars anyway - I'd have thought their obsession with realism would make them choose something more realistic. Like a Starshatter style 90° front-cone active sensor combined with 360° passive sensors. Edit: Well 270° passives, since the engine at the back creates a blind spot for passive sensors.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 11, 2014

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm honestly surprised they went with one of the traditional radars anyway - I'd have thought their obsession with realism would make them choose something more realistic. Like a Starshatter style 90° front-cone active sensor combined with 360° passive sensors.

Just ask CR if they would do something like that and it'll be added to the pile of stuff to do!

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Not strictly relevant, but this is my favorite video game radar of all time :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quickpull fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 11, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
God Radeon Pro? Got Crossfire? Go here: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/133976/guide-how-to-setup-crossfire-with-radeonpro-for-star-citizen

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Quickpull posted:

Not strictly relevant, but this is my favorite video game radar of all time :allears:

.... <ping!>

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Now waiting patiently for an SLI fix.

Execute
Apr 25, 2014

*Insert Electric Noise Here*
Red faction are splitering http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/27uqps/an_update_about_reddfaction_reddits_alliance/ and this imaginary game is fun to watch.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

It's mind-boggling how an organisation can be so weak internally that they splinter from drama two years before the game launches. Also funny is how this guy expects the leadership to be active and transparent when the game consists of AC and the Hangar modules.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well its good thing us goons only sing campfire songs while holding hands, we always get along drama free,

:v:

Execute
Apr 25, 2014

*Insert Electric Noise Here*

DancingShade posted:

Well its good thing us goons only sing campfire songs while holding hands, we always get along drama free,

:v:

As long as their are Marshmellows we will all be fine

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

jneer posted:

It's mind-boggling how an organisation can be so weak internally that they splinter from drama two years before the game launches. Also funny is how this guy expects the leadership to be active and transparent when the game consists of AC and the Hangar modules.

quote:

Speaking as Chief Executive Officer of Applied Space-Faring & Logistics,

This was typed out completely unironically.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mans posted:

Star Conflict was also unbalanced pay to win trash when it came out. They fixed it though and now it's fun again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There were some recent lore updates on the RSI site. After I read them I felt like I was reading someone's fanfiction.net :ralp:

• Locked thread