Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

alextide32 posted:

People who like GoT are most likely the same people who enjoy WoW or any other lovely MMOs.

This is true, I like Game of Thrones and I play World of Warcraft a lot. I'm excited for Warlords of Draenor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

paranoid randroid posted:

i support zombie catylyn starks campaign of brutally owning freys

Donndarion did it better with more awesomeness

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fireless Phoenix posted:

-gasp- nerds hate a well written, rounded female character and prefer stock fantasy drivel like jon snow? well i never

besides the only reason nerds hate her is bc she ain't a sex object. also she reminds them of their mothers

The gently caress does john snow have to do with what I posted? Are you non-functionally retarded?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

alextide32 posted:

People who like GoT are most likely the same people who enjoy WoW or any other lovely MMOs.

I played WoW and I enjoy collecting firearms and working on my grape vines in the yard. You likely do not have meaningful hobbies.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Fog Tripper posted:

The gently caress does john snow have to do with what I posted? Are you non-functionally retarded?

He thinks the characters in Game of Thrones constitutes well rounded development, especially the women. What do you think?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I like Game of Thrones but strongly dislike World of Warcraft and indeed, all MMOs. Checkmate, pal :smug:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

He thinks the characters in Game of Thrones constitutes well rounded development, especially the women. What do you think?

fog tripper likes game of thrones, so you're going to have to speak slower and use smaller words

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
<--- doesn't like GoT. As usual effeminitronicca is talking out of his stretched rear end in a top hat.
(I like ASoIaF. Which is not remotely the same as the showhavers)

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Fog Tripper posted:

<--- doesn't like GoT. As usual effeminitronicca is talking out of his stretched rear end in a top hat.

LOOOOOOOl, that's even worse. drat, I'm with Effectronica on this one, this feels weird.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fog Tripper posted:

whoops, looks like he's actually significantly more handicapped than the typical fan, believing that there's a meaningful difference between the show and the books

*leans in close and yells* are you all right, son!!!!

alextide32
Nov 10, 2010

The Flying Lobster

Harime Nui posted:

I like Game of Thrones but strongly dislike World of Warcraft and indeed, all MMOs. Checkmate, pal :smug:

But do you enjoy collecting swords and knight armor or any other medieval collectables?
Also do you live in a castle?

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

oh, that was a mistake

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

alextide32 posted:

But do you enjoy collecting swords and knight armor or any other medieval collectables?
Also do you live in a castle?

I have a BA in medieval studies and am currently working on a term paper about the disenfranchisement of free peasants in twelfth century Catalonia, but I don't do SCA or LARP or collect any costumes and replicas and poo poo.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Harime Nui posted:

I have a BA in medieval studies and am currently working on a term paper about the disenfranchisement of free peasants in twelfth century Catalonia, but I don't do SCA or LARP or collect any costumes and replicas and poo poo.

Yeah, but you do read Umberto Eco don't you? Don't lie. We'll know.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I like Jon Snow the character but Jesus Christ Kit Harrison, could you maybe act pleased to be playing an action hero in a popular TV show for like 5 seconds

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Harime Nui posted:

I like Jon Snow the character but Jesus Christ Kit Harrison, could you maybe act pleased to be playing an action hero in a popular TV show for like 5 seconds

it's called taking the black because they're at three fifths strength now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

it's called taking the black because they're at three fifths strength now

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

oh gently caress that guy

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
got and got fans are pretty bad but not as bad as hannibal and hannibal fans

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Snodgrass Supreme posted:

the problem with game of thrones is that there are so many stupid pointless characters to follow and all of them either: have no development whatsoever and remain unlikeable, are pretty unlikeable and gradually become more unlikeable, used to be cool and are now lovely and boring, or are total badasses and die. there's no middle ground, nobody is ever successful so no progress is made on any sort of plot, GRRM is going to write 5 more books without anything exciting happening since the world is about to be buried in snow and all these fuckfaces will starve to death.

Nah the problem with game of thoans is you have to hear people whine about something so utterly meaningless

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

gently caress Your Website posted:

Nah the problem with game of thoans is you have to hear people whine about something so utterly meaningless

i find the food and drink to be distractingly apocryphal

Fireless Phoenix
May 4, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobohemian posted:

LOOOOOOOl, that's even worse. drat, I'm with Effectronica on this one, this feels weird.

Holy poo poo you have me agreeing with effectronica and hobohemian lmbo

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
I tried watching Game of Thrones, but swords? What dummies. Someone should invent a gun or something, then I'd watch.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I got a bad feeling about the series at the end of the first book when he brings in dragons, dragons are toxic to fantasy novels and they're probably the reason george r r martin is running into problems finishing the books

he obviously started writing the first book without any dragons and then added some at the end b/c the publisher told him their imprint had a dragon quota or something and now he's stuck writing a fantasy series about dragons

e: google confirms my theory

quote:

"The main question was the dragons: Do I include dragons? I knew I wanted to have the Targaryens have their symbol be the dragons; the Lannisters have the lions, the Starks have the wolves. Should these things be literal here? Should the Targaryens actually have dragons? I was discussing this with a friend, writer Phyllis Eisenstein - I dedicated the third book to her - and she said, "George, it's a fantasy - you've got to put in the dragons." She convinced me, and it was the right decision. Now that I'm deep into it, I can't imagine the book without the dragons."

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 11, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

dragons are toxic to fantasy novels
agreed, the hobbit would be better without the dragon

HeatedMilk
Nov 27, 2013

Are you ready for Darshan, my child?
I read the books specifically so I could lord it over show watchers and be smug constantly.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nobody ever uses the cool classic-style dragons where they're just big lovely lizards that can't fly, crawl on their bellies and fart/belch poisonous gas

Like this right here:

HeatedMilk
Nov 27, 2013

Are you ready for Darshan, my child?

Harime Nui posted:

Nobody ever uses the cool classic-style dragons where they're just big lovely lizards that can't fly, crawl on their bellies and fart/belch poisonous gas

Like this right here:

yeah, you're right. that's way cooler.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jiharlequinade posted:

oh gently caress that guy

attractive guy takes picture of himself w/ female co-workers, goons outraged

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

he's not actually attractive. well my mum thinks so but i don't.

also, jfc stop making a duck face margaery

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
he's a p good looking dude and better looking than probably 80% of goons

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Okay you're right, some pictures make him look hot but I dunno he's got this watery eyed fat face and half a beard so it puts me off.

he's got abs though so i wouldn't say no

Fireless Phoenix
May 4, 2012

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He's good looking, I just think it's funny he's not even acting when he plays John Snow, he just looks like someone just crapped in his wheaties 24/7.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Moridin920 posted:

Who dies randomly just for shits with no plot advancement happening?

Every single character after Ned. The plot completely vanishes in book two (with maybe a brief appearance in three), and everything since has been GRRM smashing beetles aimlessly since he knows that people will buy it. The books are like Lost, they make promises that the author has no idea how to deliver on and then just sort of plop into the toilet.

That said, the show does a fair job making the source material somewhat watchable.

Fireless Phoenix
May 4, 2012

by Lowtax
The Jon Snow actor is an AWG (Average White Guy for you straight cis people out there). He's alright looking; you probably wouldn't turn to look at him in the street but 21st century ideals of beauty tell us that he's a hottie or some poo poo. also he will (is) ageing badly hth

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Let me tell you why game of thrones is a modern classic

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Every single character after Ned. The plot completely vanishes in book two (with maybe a brief appearance in three), and everything since has been GRRM smashing beetles aimlessly since he knows that people will buy it. The books are like Lost, they make promises that the author has no idea how to deliver on and then just sort of plop into the toilet.

That said, the show does a fair job making the source material somewhat watchable.

Naw, when he killed Rob he hosed himself over. That's the one character which was doing something even though we never got any chapters from his perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I deeply felt the pathos when Jon learned of the demise of Robb, who he'd always thought of as his true brother, and stared pensively at his shoes for like four seconds.

• Locked thread