Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

My goodness, that looks terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it's a game for kids, and kids will enjoy it a lot probably!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I played the original and it was pretty okay, the fossil excavation parts are fun. It's just weird that Nintendo would even bother publishing another monster battling game when they have the real deal.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think they're about to get into that 90-minute exclusive look at something new and unannounced! I hear it's some dinosaur-related game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

enojy posted:

I think they're about to get into that 90-minute exclusive look at something new and unannounced! I hear it's some dinosaur-related game.
You motherfucker.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Dang, the 3DS version of Smash is going to be 60fps? That's pretty sick, I didn't hear that before. Link Between Worlds was so incredibly smooth and it was awesome so I'm really looking forward to that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

BabyRyoga posted:

I dunno, you would be trading one of the games on the 3DS that has the most potential play value for a mediocre game. But, I think it's too late for DQM to come out when they could just release DQM2, which has an even more ridiculous mount of play value.

I will buy just about anything that has yokai, regardless of quality.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Amazon has Fantasy Life for preorder at $39.99. Release is in Oct.

This is the "Link" version which includes classes, content & multiplayer.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Have they been archiving the treehouse stuff? I saw on twitter they were showing it [Fantasy Life] off earlier and I'd love to see some more gameplay that just the trailer.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Not Nintendo, but someone has just grabbed it straight from the stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85vuE5xFr4c

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Less than 30 minutes to crushing disappointment

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lemming posted:

Less than 30 minutes to crushing disappointment

Don't let the present imprison your dreams.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

https://twitter.com/crecenteb/status/476881296015126528

There go your hopes for Majora's Mask. Or Mother 3. Or Metroid. Or...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm going to create a future where they announce Majora's Mask, Pokemon Snap 2, and TWEWY 2 all at the same time.

Ok Advance Wars 3DS too there, now everyone's happy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Color Printer posted:

https://twitter.com/crecenteb/status/476881296015126528

There go your hopes for Majora's Mask. Or Mother 3. Or Metroid. Or...

iNiS could be making an Ouendan that's not called Ouendan, right!?

:smith:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm looking to get a 3ds rpg. I've played the demos for monster hunter, etrian odyssey, and bravely default and I like all three but I wanted to hear some feed back about my impressions:

Monster hunter: looks frustrating based on how the demo doesn't give a poo poo if you know how to play but seems like good dark souls style boss combat with what i assume is tedious grinding in between.

Etrian odyssey: loved the map making and turn based movement system puzzles. Combat seems a bit boring.

Bravely default: Loved the combat system but the demo missions are horrible grindy collect 5 of x type things that make me not want to play it.

Leaning towards etrian to tell the truth.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
An original IP? But I wanted the milking of my favorite franchise instead. :saddowns:

I'm not being sarcastic.

Real hurthling! posted:

Bravely default: Loved the combat system but the demo missions are horrible grindy collect 5 of x type things that make me not want to play it.

The actual game is nothing like that at all. Bravely Default is amazingly good... until the last several chapters where you just get fed up with the cut and paste and stop playing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Go for Etrian Odyssey (Which one were you thinking of?). I only played Untold, but it was a blast. If you're down with the choose your own character system, 4 is supposed to be even better.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

An original IP? But I wanted the milking of my favorite franchise instead. :saddowns:

I'm not being sarcastic.

Yes.

Chaos reigns. Embrace death. Metroid is gone forever.

Edit: They're going to announce that they've put Retro back to work in the Platformer Mines again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Real hurthling! posted:

Monster hunter: looks frustrating based on how the demo doesn't give a poo poo if you know how to play but seems like good dark souls style boss combat with what i assume is tedious grinding in between.

Sorta. The entire game is boss combat. That doesn't mean it can't also become a tedious grind, but there aren't really any non-boss combat bullshit you have to do other than do some menu management for tending a farm and poo poo.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Can someone explain what monster hunter is? I think I played a "clone" once and I didn't understand what was going on. Is it just fighting with no story?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Sorta. The entire game is boss combat. That doesn't mean it can't also become a tedious grind, but there aren't really any non-boss combat bullshit you have to do other than do some menu management for tending a farm and poo poo.

Yeah but cats farm for you and you can name all of them after potatoes

The story to Monster Hunter is that there are monsters and you should kill them because you're a monster hunter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

I figured you'd be chopping up wildlife for pelts and bones since that's the only other thing to do in the demo than hunt the bunny

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

shaitan posted:

Can someone explain what monster hunter is? I think I played a "clone" once and I didn't understand what was going on. Is it just fighting with no story?

Functionally, yeah. It's multiplayer boss combat with no other real gameplay but it's really viceral and satisfying.

Real hurthling! posted:

I figured you'd be chopping up wildlife for pelts and bones since that's the only other thing to do in the demo than hunt the bunny

On occasion you'll go out to harvest minor monsters or mine for materials but the vast majority of the game is the boss combat.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 12, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm looking to get a 3ds rpg. I've played the demos for monster hunter, etrian odyssey, and bravely default and I like all three but I wanted to hear some feed back about my impressions:

The actual game is really poo poo for this too. It's fun once you get into it, but the in game explanations and tutorials are really subpar. Be prepared to watch a few YouTube videos or look up a wiki.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Real hurthling! posted:

Etrian odyssey: loved the map making and turn based movement system puzzles. Combat seems a bit boring.

Monster Hunter 3 on 3DS looks pretty bad and is honestly pretty frustrating to even try playing unless you also buy the $30 Circle Pad Pro addon to give you another analog stick on the right to control the camera. The grinding is a little tedious, and at least a third of the game is grinding for materials to upgrade your weapons/armor. The fights against actual monsters is worth it all, though. It's better on Wii U. I'm watching Monster Hunter 4 on the stream right now, and it looks MUCH better -- I'd wait for 4.

Etrian Odyssey: I personally find the combat to be the interesting part of these games, and the rest horrible, but the fact that you lean the opposite way means different strokes for different folks! If it had a different scheme for exploration, I'd love them.

Bravely Default: gently caress it but I bet a lot of people will say otherwise.

Curiously, you left out Shin Megami Tensei IV, which is far and away the best RPG on 3DS and the one you should get if there can only be one.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
That 3DS thing is happening in a little over 10 minutes, right? Anyone liveblogging the event?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/37686/3ds-game-developer-discussion

Same place I read about the smash thing last night, it was good and timely.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

The demo for Monster Hunter is famously terrible so if you liked it at all you should definitely check it out. The real game is much better about easing you into how things work. You don't particularly need to grind until hours and hours in when you start hitting the hardest stuff, and even then if you enjoy the combat its never particularly tedious.

The Etrian and Bravely Default demos are very representative of what those games are. The depth of both of those games is building up characters and combining skills in clever ways. Etrian can get pretty hard though and you definitely need to think about battles against the tougher enemies.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Regy Rusty posted:

Thank you. I was hoping someone would link this again.

10 minutes until confusion and moderate disappointment.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright, thanks! Here's hoping they announce something interesting.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Nintendo Treehouse will have an in depth look at this mystery game tomorrow.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Regy Rusty posted:

The Nintendo Treehouse will have an in depth look at this mystery game tomorrow.

That's good. I was a bit worried about them announcing a new IP behind closed doors with no cameras around. Seems like video would be a better way to demonstrate new gameplay ideas than text.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neal Ronaghan 5:53 posted:

It seems to be a new IP according to Reggie. 3DS systems are on stage

Neal Ronaghan 6:00 posted:

Final guesses! I think it will be a new take on an old IP. gonna say Metroid.

Neal, you moron.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Waffleman_ posted:

Neal, you moron.

Well, Super Metroid's 20th anniversary was just last month, so...

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I saw that update and the word Metroid jumped out and I got excited for a second :sigh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

That's good. I was a bit worried about them announcing a new IP behind closed doors with no cameras around. Seems like video would be a better way to demonstrate new gameplay ideas than text.

Yeah this whole press roundtable thing is bizarre and I don't understand the idea behind it. But most likely there will be a trailer released on youtube right after the event concludes(that's what they did for Pacman's Smash reveal last night) and then gameplay demos tomorrow.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm actually hoping for Yo-Kai Watch, it looks dopey as all hell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

enojy posted:

Curiously, you left out Shin Megami Tensei IV, which is far and away the best RPG on 3DS and the one you should get if there can only be one.

No demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TARDISman posted:

I'm actually hoping for Yo-Kai Watch, it looks dopey as all hell.

Yokai Watch is not an unannounced game. This isn't going to be a localization of an already released game.

Edit: This is an unannounced new IP, you literally cannot guess it without being in the know.

• Locked thread