Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Last roundup of polls for the campaign:

EKOS sees a Liberal landslide and NDP disaster
OLP 41
PCPO 33
ONDP 17

Abacus sees the status quo
OLP 36
PCPO 36
ONDP 23

Ipsos sees a PC victory and major NDP breakthrough
PCPO 36
OLP 30
ONDP 30

Whatever happens tomorrow, the polls will have been right/wrong.

Lol Canadian polling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
theyre not even pretending to try anymore

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

that ipsos poll is online only lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

RBC posted:

that ipsos poll is online only lol

online polls haven't performed particularly badly in Canada, either.

Or, you know, no worse than phone ones, anyway.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I really don't understand how Ipsos and Ekos have such different results for their likely voter models. It's baffling.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

online polls haven't performed particularly badly in Canada, either.

Or, you know, no worse than phone ones, anyway.

im just going to make up my own poll out of my rear end and we'll see if im more accurate than at least 1 of those above

lib 37
pc 32
ndp 19

seats
lib 49
pc 39
ndp 19

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

sources are comfirming now that my poll is superior in every way

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Also if you're really pissed off by wasteful spending being used to preserve seats then you really shouldn't support Stephen Harper:

That's not a great example wasteful spending. The items are actually being built and it's a reasonable assumption that the smaller communities that vote conservative are more likely to need financial assistance building rinks and pools than Toronto. It indicates that the money is being allocated based on need rather than just giving every riding the same amount and making them spend it all.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Pinterest Mom posted:

OLP 41
PCPO 33
ONDP 17

OLP 36
PCPO 36
ONDP 23

PCPO 36
OLP 30
ONDP 30

Here's the two other polling companies from yesterday

Angus Reid
OLP 36
PCPO 32
ONDP 26

Forum Research
OLP 42
PCPO 35
ONDP 19

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I actually think the polling as a whole indicates that support has firmed up for the Liberals, which is a bad sign for the PCs, but I'm no Eric Grenier so who knows

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently the Libertarian candidate in Thunder Bay ran a full page newspaper ad openly attacking First Nations. As best I can make out from the low resolution CBC picture, it says:

quote:

VOTERS:

No group of people are above the laws of Ontario.

No group of people can illegally block our roads and rail lines.

No group of people are "entitled" to handouts.

No group of people are owed a "debt" by today's taxpayers.

No group of people "own" Crown lands. Crown lands are public lands. Not native lands. We all own these lands.

No group of people are "special" and deserve first-class "Super-Citizen" status.

TAX PAYERS:

Help me stop this doctrine of entitlement.

Help me stop the inequality.

Help me stop the injustice.

Above all else, help me stop the "gravy train."

Seniors and retirees, your children and grandchildren deserve the right to live in a fair, equal, and just Ontario.

Vote for their future
Thursday, June 12, 2014

VOTE
TAMARA JOHNSON
and the Ontario
Libertarian Party

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/tamara-johnson-election-ad-shocks-anishinabek-nation-1.2671822?cmp=abfb

To be fair, though, when I think of groups in Canada that need to be taken down a peg, I think of our First Nations. What with all their poverty and missing women and historical mistreatment and all. They just need less handouts and more bootstraps, clearly.

e: oh, also she used to be the PC candidate but got kicked out in February for making comments about First Nations.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
oh oh, last Ispos Reid! June 7-11:

Liberals: 33 per cent (-2)
PCs: 31 per cent (-4)
NDP: 30 per cent (+4)
Other: 5 per cent (+1)

hahaha looks like we've got every scenario covered then, eh?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pcs-liberals-ndp-in-virtual-tie-on-eve-of-ontario-election-poll-1.1864045

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
This will be a hard Friday to wake up for.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

brucio posted:

oh oh, last Ispos Reid! June 7-11:

Liberals: 33 per cent (-2)
PCs: 31 per cent (-4)
NDP: 30 per cent (+4)
Other: 5 per cent (+1)

hahaha looks like we've got every scenario covered then, eh?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pcs-liberals-ndp-in-virtual-tie-on-eve-of-ontario-election-poll-1.1864045

Watch the Green Party win a majority.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

OLP 41
PCPO 33
ONDP 17

OLP 36
PCPO 36
ONDP 23

PCPO 36
OLP 30
ONDP 30

I can guarantee you that Grenier will claim the 30th successful prediction in a row for his 'model'.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Globe and Mail was ready to endorse the Liberals but the Editor-in-Chief discarded his editorial board's decision in order to endorse the Conservatives instead.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/source-globe-editorial-board-endorsed-wynne-liberals-was-overruled

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Am I the only one thinks that news outlets shouldn't be allowed to endorse any particular party?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Lobok posted:

The Globe and Mail was ready to endorse the Liberals but the Editor-in-Chief discarded his editorial board's decision in order to endorse the Conservatives instead.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/source-globe-editorial-board-endorsed-wynne-liberals-was-overruled

$5 says the same kind of thing happened at the Citizen. Kate Heartfield would sooner endorse a drunk moose than Hudak. Potter overruled them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lobok posted:

Everyone at my partner's work thought that this might be the case after the endorsement announcement was delayed an hour or two.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

Am I the only one thinks that news outlets shouldn't be allowed to endorse any particular party?

It's not really "news outlets" it's the billionaires that control them. As we know the political opinions of billionaires are more important than ours.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

vyelkin posted:

Apparently the Libertarian candidate in Thunder Bay ran a full page newspaper ad openly attacking First Nations. As best I can make out from the low resolution CBC picture, it says:

To be fair, though, when I think of groups in Canada that need to be taken down a peg, I think of our First Nations. What with all their poverty and missing women and historical mistreatment and all. They just need less handouts and more bootstraps, clearly.

e: oh, also she used to be the PC candidate but got kicked out in February for making comments about First Nations.

The data I've seen indicate that the government spends less money per capita on First Nations than on other Canadians.

For instance, this idiotic article seems to indicate that First Nations are getting $9868 per person ($9056 federal and $812 provincial) while the average Canadian (incl. First Nations) got $16801 per person ($7316 federal and $9205 provincial). How you can look at those numbers and then write an article headlined "Taxpayers Have Been Overly Generous to First Nations" is baffling. It just goes to show that while people like to use numbers to prove their points, they often lack the numeracy needed to understand those numbers.

...and now I'm waiting for somebody to point out that I've misunderstood the numbers in the article.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

The data I've seen indicate that the government spends less money per capita on First Nations than on other Canadians.

For instance, this idiotic article seems to indicate that First Nations are getting $9868 per person ($9056 federal and $812 provincial) while the average Canadian (incl. First Nations) got $16801 per person ($7316 federal and $9205 provincial). How you can look at those numbers and then write an article headlined "Taxpayers Have Been Overly Generous to First Nations" is baffling. It just goes to show that while people like to use numbers to prove their points, they often lack the numeracy needed to understand those numbers.

...and now I'm waiting for somebody to point out that I've misunderstood the numbers in the article.

No, you're more or less correct. It's an established fact that First Nations get less money per person than other Canadians. I'm impressed that that guy was dumb enough to put the provincial numbers in his article since they directly contradict his point. Most articles on this subject say "First Nations are taking too much money, they get $10k per person from the government and that should be enough" without even mentioning how much money is spent per person in all of Canada. At least that particular article is just wrong, not actively deceptive.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Jimbozig posted:

quote:

Provincially, data was more difficult to find but from the mid-1990s forward, here is what the numbers show: in 2012, the 10 provinces combined spent $812 per First Nations person, up 985 per cent from $75 per First Nations person in 1994.

In contrast, provincial government program spending on all citizens also rose but much more modestly, to $9,205 per person in 2012 from $7,340 in 1994, or a 25 per cent increase. Again, all numbers are adjusted for inflation (and population growth is accounted for because these are per person measurements).

It's almost like he started with a lovely thesis and then decided to double down instead of quitting when the numbers clearly dismantled his point. Politics in a nutshell, basically.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's almost like he started with a lovely thesis and then decided to double down instead of quitting when the numbers clearly dismantled his point. Politics in a nutshell, basically.

You just don't understand the argument he is making. He doesn't care that the average Canadian has more spent on them; any amount spent on first nations is a waste of tax payer dollars. The only money that should be spent is on walls around the reservations so that their movements can be controlled like Palestinians. We gave them those great reserves they should forage like their traditional culture demands.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 12, 2014

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Election-watchers should keep an eye on turnout in Welland and St. Catharines. We had just torrential rain, and the storm sewer backed up into my basement around 12:30 (thankfully it's unfinished). if that happened on more than just my street I wouldn't be surprised to see potential voters stay home dealing with soggy basements. I doubt it would impact the outcome much, since voting preference isn't much of a predictor of flooding, but if it's fairly widespread we could see that reflected in the turnout.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
My polling station was set up in my building's gym*, so I got to vote on my way to work!

*two treadmills, an elliptical, an exercycle, one of those weight stations, and lots of gym mats

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
For those like me knocking on doors today, remember if nothing else, it's exercise.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

bunnyofdoom posted:

For those like me knocking on doors today, remember if nothing else, it's exercise.

Ugh, have fun in the rain, man. :smithcloud:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Last e-day I did, I literally couldn't walk the next day. It was gross.

Have fun declining your ballots today, Ontarians :toot:.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ugh, have fun in the rain, man. :smithcloud:

I got an umbrella and a waterproof coat.

And a hip flask of bourbon to keep me warm.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I got my voters card today. It came in the mail just after I left to vote.

Saalkin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 12, 2014

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Does HuffPo imprison anyone else on their site when using a smartphone? My iPhone's browser buttons disappear on that site.

Also have fun out there everyone and vote!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I went to vote about 11:30 on Roncy and there was no one there except the poll workers. It felt very ominous in regards to today's voter turnout. :ohdear:

e: I mean there were problably 8 different polls there and not another soul voting. Not on the way in, not on the way out.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's the middle of a workday. In the evening, that's when people will really show up.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's the middle of a workday. In the evening, that's when people will really show up.

There's a million people out of work in this province, dude.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, but they're not all in his riding, let alone going to his polling station. :rolleyes:

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
There was a Special Needs party I never even heard of before.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

eXXon posted:

There's a million people out of work in this province, dude.

Half a million actually.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/lfss01b-eng.htm

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rynder posted:

There was a Special Needs party I never even heard of before.

I was pleased to discover that my riding had 10 candidates, including ones for the "Vegan Environmentalist Party" and for "The People."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pretty sure that was a joke about how Tim Hudak doesn't know anything about his own platform.

• Locked thread