Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Is that because Soldier tokens don't trigger Xathrid? I know that. On opponent's turn, I board wipe. Xathrid triggers off of Xathrids and the soldiers of the pantheon I just threw in instead of the tormented heroes. I get a couple zombie tokens, Athreos means my opponent gets to choose whether to let me recast all my dudes. At my next turn, Elspeth shits out token blockers, and I recast what I can from what went back in my hand, and I swing with a few zombies. Even better, I activate my mutavaults before the wipe, and they poo poo out zombies, too, and my opponent has to choose whether to let me have them back, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

A Moose posted:

I was looking around at MTGtop8 for modern decks, and I noticed a combo deck based on Ad Nauseam and Angel's Grace. Is that deck worth building at all? I do love my janky tier 2 gimmick decks (I play Living End most of the time). Has anybody here every played with or against it or know anything about its matchups?

It's pretty bad. I'm all about playing bad decks for a bad format, but man, that deck's not even good bad. If you're a fan of getting your Lotus Bloom remanded, it's the deck for you.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why in gods name are you boarding in Sword and Jitte against one of the most removal heavy decks in the format?

Questionable sideboarding ability and/or faulty logic?

The whole problem with miracles is I need to have 2-3 creatures out in order to present a clock good enough to kill them in a reasonable time frame. Goyfs don't usually get big enough in this matchup to be the threat they normally are, and even less so after they side Counterbalance out. And obviously that's what a deck that casts a 1-mana instant speed board wipe wants.

Jitte turns even Deathrite into a threat that they need to answer. It forces them to use Terminus as spot removal instead of a board wipe so I don't have to overextend into a 3-for-1 Terminus. And in a 1-for-1 fight, I've got much better odds. You're probably right that the Sword isn't right to bring in though.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hymn's not fantastic but it's way better than either of those (you're at best killing Snapcasters with Jitte for value and you're not getting jack back with Sword due to how their removal works).

I take the Bolts and 2 Punishing Fire out, not the Hymns. I don't know how I forgot that. I kinda forgot about Snappy too. Just that is worth bringing the REBs in.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why not board in your Pyroblasts and REBs? Miracles isn't permanent heavy so I'd be boarding out deed first before I would Pulse, 90% of the time it will boardwipe your things and you don't want to trade against the control deck. In this matchup, you're more or less the aggressive one, and if the game goes long they will swarm with angels and beat you down.

Deed is just there to delay them by forcing them to answer it before they can make angels. It's almost never activated, but it completely invalidates their win con.

Deed and Explosives are also the only cards that actually deal with their angels if they do come out. If I get their hand empty, which I usually do, it means they need at least 2 draws (Wear/Tear to hit Deed/Explosives and Entreat to actually win) to get anywhere.

Maelstrom Pulse, on the other hand, requires me to have it in hand, them to make Angels (always done on my EOT,) not draw a counter, and not kill me with the angels. I've never actually resolved Maelstrom Pulse targeting an angel.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Loam will let you wasteland them straight out of the game, while the blasts deal with their many blue cards and pithing needle shuts down top. They'll likely board in graveyard hate for your Deathrites and Goyfs, Keranos for an advantage engine you can't deal with, and probably a Pithing Needle for your Lilis/Deathrites.

They hardly play any duals, especially against me, so Life from the Loam is basically a bad ramp spell here. At best it gives me Lili fodder. The only thing I can really wasteland them out of is red, and even then only sometimes.

I like the looks of this a lot better:

- Pulse
- 2 Bolt
- 2 Punishing Fire

+ Explosives
+ Jitte
+ Pithing Needle
+ 2 Blasts

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Wadjamaloo posted:

I thought the first rock deck was just a bunch of 2 for 1's like nekrataal. Just trying to value grind your opponent, like jund.

The first Rock deck was actually based around Phyrexian Plaguelord(The Rock) and Deranged Hermit(his millions of fans). Plaguelord got cut relatively quickly, Hermit got cut some time later, but the name of the Rock as grindy midrange 2-for-1 BG deck stuck around.

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011

A Moose posted:

I was looking around at MTGtop8 for modern decks, and I noticed a combo deck based on Ad Nauseam and Angel's Grace. Is that deck worth building at all? I do love my janky tier 2 gimmick decks (I play Living End most of the time). Has anybody here every played with or against it or know anything about its matchups?

I've finally built it and played it at my LGS's previous 4 Wednesday night Modern events. I've gone 3-1 three times and 4-0'd it once. Every time in the finals after going 3-0 I've played against Twin and yeah Remand your lotus bloom kinda hurts. Only counterspells and discard can really stop you, Leyline of Sanctity can help against discard. I am missing the Boseiju, Who Shelters All which would help loads against twin. Zoo/Fish can't really disrupt you enough and are too slow, storm can be a free win if you get angel's grace/sideboard silence in time, affinity feels like a dice roll. Deck is loads of fun and the combo is quick, so no storm turns where you take 10 minutes killing them, instead it's angel's grace, ad naus, game 2? For a FNM style I'd say the deck is great, a big GP or what not it could be rough. Really the best thing about the deck is people having no clue what you're doing and leaving in creature removal for games 2/3.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Opening a foil exploration and trading for another has convinced me to build Lands for legacy. Thankfully I can voltron the lands from my 3 legacy decks and put it together. Problem is finding someone willing to trade a Tabernacle for my extra Useas and tundras.

Anyone know how good lands is nowadays? I know it'll be terribad and I should just keep enjoying miracles while it's good but goddamn does that deck draw out games better than miracles. And that is Fun.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Would it be worth it to buy Breakfast Burrito on MODO just to participate in legacy dailies/2 mans?

I like how dumb the deck is and want to try it out. If so, how much does it cost for the Labratory Maniac variant?

Edit: And then maybe build the paper version and grind out the legacy tournaments the LCSs by me have weekly on Wednesday and Saturday.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 12, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

Would it be worth it to buy Breakfast Burrito on MODO just to participate in legacy dailies/2 mans?

I like how dumb the deck is and want to try it out. If so, how much does it cost for the Labratory Maniac variant?

Edit: And then maybe build the paper version and grind out the legacy tournaments the LCSs by me have weekly on Wednesday and Saturday.

You will win about 50% of your matches, playing a match every 7 minutes, and thus make 8.5 tix per hour.

It costs about $120 to build online, I think. I recommend the Mimeoplasm build although it's $5 more expensive.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 12, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

You will win about 50% of your matches, playing a match every 7 minutes, and thus make 8.5 tix per hour.

It costs about $120 to build online, I think. I recommend the Mimeoplasm build although it's $5 more expensive.
gently caress it, I'm gonna do this as well, any good MODO bots you would recommend to buy the cards from?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

neetengie posted:

gently caress it, I'm gonna do this as well, any good MODO bots you would recommend to buy the cards from?

I use MTGOTraders and they do a discount if you buy the stuff with Paypal. Just use the code "Paypal" when you checkout. You can also shop around bots with Wikiprice if you want to spend time finding the best deal.

Aspiring Breakfast Burrito players, can you spot the winning play here?

Chamale fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 12, 2014

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Pact for Mimeoplasm, Elvish Spirit Guide x2
Pitch ESG + SSG for RG in pool
Cast Manamorphose, add BU to pool. Rituals for BBBU to BBBBBBU
Pitch second ESG, hardcast Mimeoplasm, have it come in as Triskelion w/ Lord of Extinction counters, which after casting all that nonsense will be an 18/18 (3 pacts, 2 rituals, manamorphose + 12 cards currently in yards), so Mimeoplasm will enter with 21 counters.
Pray those five cards don't include a force + blue card (e: and another counter, since you'd pact the first force)

e2: you don't need to cabal ritual (just dark gets you BBBUG in pool) but there's no kill like overkill!

black potus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 12, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gang sines posted:

Pact for Mimeoplasm, Elvish Spirit Guide x2
Pitch ESG + SSG for RG in pool
Cast Manamorphose, add BU to pool. Rituals for BBBU to BBBBBBU
Pitch second ESG, hardcast Mimeoplasm, have it come in as Triskelion w/ Lord of Extinction counters, which after casting all that nonsense will be an 18/18 (3 pacts, 2 rituals, manamorphose + 12 cards currently in yards), so Mimeoplasm will enter with 21 counters.
Pray those five cards don't include a force + blue card (e: and another counter, since you'd pact the first force)

e2: you don't need to cabal ritual (just dark gets you BBBUG in pool) but there's no kill like overkill!

Not quite, but close. To play around Swords to Plowshares on his Vendilion Clique (putting the opponent just out of range), you'd need to cast Mimeoplasm copying Balustrade Spy with a counter from Wild Cantor, then sacrifice it to Cabal Therapy so you can Dread Return Mimeoplasm again. Turns out he had a Spell Snare and Snapcaster Mage, so I lost anyway, but it's fun to tutor up Mimeoplasm and use it to win the game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Not quite, but close. To play around Swords to Plowshares on his Vendilion Clique (putting the opponent just out of range), you'd need to cast Mimeoplasm copying Balustrade Spy with a counter from Wild Cantor, then sacrifice it to Cabal Therapy so you can Dread Return Mimeoplasm again. Turns out he had a Spell Snare and Snapcaster Mage, so I lost anyway, but it's fun to tutor up Mimeoplasm and use it to win the game.

Don't you die to swords anyway in that case? He swords your Mimeoplasm/Spy in response to the baulstrade spy trigger. You lose on your upkeep.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

Don't you die to swords anyway in that case? He swords your Mimeoplasm/Spy in response to the baulstrade spy trigger. You lose on your upkeep.

Huh, I guess you're right, so either approach works equally well.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I should just bite the bullet and build BB on MODO one of these days. Dumb selfmill combos are my favourite decks to play.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Opening a foil exploration and trading for another has convinced me to build Lands for legacy. Thankfully I can voltron the lands from my 3 legacy decks and put it together. Problem is finding someone willing to trade a Tabernacle for my extra Useas and tundras.

Anyone know how good lands is nowadays? I know it'll be terribad and I should just keep enjoying miracles while it's good but goddamn does that deck draw out games better than miracles. And that is Fun.

I've played against Lands a decent number of times and the impression I've gotten is that if they can interact with your lands t1 (wasteland, port) you're basically hosed. That said, an opposing life from the loam is rough and you take forever to actually kill your opponent. Maybe look into Jund Depths or something - I feel like Exploration would be good there, and it kills faster.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Huh, I guess you're right, so either approach works equally well.

If it had been undercity, you'd be fine.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The VMA money train is slowing down, now they're mainly selling for $9 each.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

a dozen swans posted:

I've played against Lands a decent number of times and the impression I've gotten is that if they can interact with your lands t1 (wasteland, port) you're basically hosed. That said, an opposing life from the loam is rough and you take forever to actually kill your opponent. Maybe look into Jund Depths or something - I feel like Exploration would be good there, and it kills faster.

Does that deck take even longer to play? I have combo decks, control decks, and aggro-control deck (d&t). I want a glacially slow deck even slower than miracles.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Chill la Chill posted:

I want a glacially slow deck even slower than miracles.
Lands is your deck, enjoy it.

VVV: Ah okay, yeah I'd say that Jund/Junk Depths is slow enough for you to enjoy.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 12, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well I was asking about Jund depths. I already have my eyes set on Lands. If it was possible at all I'd even love to include drown yards in there :allears: but it might make the deck faster which I do not want.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Well I was asking about Jund depths. I already have my eyes set on Lands. If it was possible at all I'd even love to include drown yards in there :allears: but it might make the deck faster which I do not want.

I like the RUG lands more. You have some Jaces, Punishing Fires, and one Stage/Depths to win. And 2 Mishra's factories. Its actually super fun and also has 4 Maze of Ith and a Tabernacle, and most often wins by nuking the board recurring EE and decking your opponent by putting something on top with Academy Ruins every turn, or occasionally a large man.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What's the best source for recent Vintage tournament results? I'm thinking I'd like to play a Jace control deck, or maybe Turbo Tezz. Paradoxically, anything from Modern is going to end up costing a lot more than most Vintage staples. Bob costs more online than Jace, The Mind Sculptor.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

What's the best source for recent Vintage tournament results? I'm thinking I'd like to play a Jace control deck, or maybe Turbo Tezz. Paradoxically, anything from Modern is going to end up costing a lot more than most Vintage staples. Bob costs more online than Jace, The Mind Sculptor.

I think http://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=VI and http://www.morphling.de/ are both pretty good.

The best vintage forum is http://www.themanadrain.com/

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Does that deck take even longer to play? I have combo decks, control decks, and aggro-control deck (d&t). I want a glacially slow deck even slower than miracles.

Jund Depths lets you drag out the game arbitrarily long and then win with an end-of-turn Marit Lage once you're sure your opponent no longer has any hope. If you build it, look through the MTGS thread - Haas' list is way too weak to graveyard hate.

Junk Depths is a toolboxy Rock deck with four Knight of the Reliquary and a huge array of lands to shut down different opposing decks (Tabernacle, Maze of Ith, Tower of the Magistrate, etc.) It's probably not slow enough for you.

e: also, the one Vintage Masters booster I cracked had a City in a Bottle in it. Am I right in assuming it's a hate card against Dredge? Vintage doesn't make sense to me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

a dozen swans posted:

e: also, the one Vintage Masters booster I cracked had a City in a Bottle in it. Am I right in assuming it's a hate card against Dredge? Vintage doesn't make sense to me.
I think it's just there to be cute. Before the errata, it was a techy answer to Burn decks piloted by insufferable Mr. Suitcase shitheads.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

a dozen swans posted:

Yeah, it sees play against Dredge. And maybe Kird Apes, if you're a smartass and the year is 2006.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What Dredge cards are you hating out with City? Bazaar and Library are the only ones I can think of.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

What Dredge cards are you hating out with City? Bazaar and Library are the only ones I can think of.
Exactly. Dredge isn't a thing in Vintage, and Bazaar and Library are banned in Legacy. City in a Bottle is a solution looking for a problem.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If you want a truly glacially slow Lands kill, you could always just go all-in on prison, and have your only wincon being playing a Mox Diamond, not discarding a land, and then Academy Ruins-ing it back to the top of you library every turn to ensure that your opponent decks first.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Everblight posted:

Exactly. Dredge isn't a thing in Vintage, and Bazaar and Library are banned in Legacy. City in a Bottle is a solution looking for a problem.

:staredog: Dredge did win the 2001 Vintage Champs at GenCon, it is a thing. http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=891258

Bazaar is easily the most powerful land in vintage. Its so powerful that the dredge deck plays Fatestitcher to use it again, and Sun Titan to get back bazaars that get destroyed. It also plays Serum Powder becasue it is that important to the deck.

And City in a Bottle is nice sideboard card for the workshop decks to kill bazaars.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
There are only 4 things City in a Bottle can even effect in the Vintage Masters set.

Bazaar of Baghdad
Library of Alexandria
Erhnam Djinn
Serendib Efreet

And of those the only things I can see being a problem are the Library and maybe the Bazaar. I guess it's more a thing for Limited. :shrug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Tonight was my FLGS's first night of Modern League, and I took Living End and played 3 rounds in all:

Round 1: UR Counterburn

Gave me some early trouble due to flashing in Snapcasters to block and then get extra value from my Living Ends, but I was generally in control throughout the game. 2-0/1-0

Round 2: Some Weird B/R Build

Ran that Nether Spirit rip-off from Zendikar, Cavern of Souls, Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger, etc., along with sacrifice effects to make use of them. Got me down to 6 life in game one before I resolved an EoT Violent Outbreak and had 20+ power on the board. Again, was mostly in control. 2-0/2-0

Round 3: Esper Mill

This was a loss, and while I should have felt good about my first showing with Living End, this game left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth. My opponent was using a deck with stuff like Hedron Crab, Glimpse the Unthinkable, etc., and then would use Expirtrate and Surgical Extraction to remove my Living Ends from the game, beating me in both rounds.

I didn't mind this in of itself; my issue was that - due to the rules of this being a league and not Round Robin matches (aside from a randomized round 1) - you could change decks up between rounds, and I had played next to the Mill player during round 2 (not shoulder-to-shoulder but his opponent was) and he sought me out for our third game. It was probably an innocent mistake (he claimed to have not known I was using Living End) but it just came across as funky. 0-2/2-1

So, what is a good anti-mill tech for Living End? Leyline of Sanctity?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bhsman posted:

You should love mill decks, your problem is Surgical Extraction. I'm not sure what to suggest, Leyline of Sanctity won't stop it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

Ground Seal? Chalice of the Void on 1? Extirpate your own Living End in response to his and fail to find?

Leyline is fine. It stops him from milling you and you can just cast your dudes and beat him down with them.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

You should love mill decks, your problem is Surgical Extraction. I'm not sure what to suggest, Leyline of Sanctity won't stop it.

They would stop the mill, though.

suicidesteve posted:

Leyline is fine. It stops him from milling you and you can just cast your dudes and beat him down with them.

Yeah, the biggest problem game 1 was I could never draw a second land to cast an Outbreak with and he basically milled all of my lands. :argh:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Ground Seal? Chalice of the Void on 1? Extirpate your own Living End in response to his and fail to find?
All of these cost less than 3 and thus cannot be played in living end.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Wadjamaloo posted:

More than that, they are not so powerful as to prefer having it over Living End in that matchup.

EDIT: For example, Travis Woo built a version that used singletons of Ethersworn Canonist or Stony Silence depending on the matchup, or that Restore Balance build that uses Boom/Bust to blow up lands against Control builds.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 13, 2014

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

http://www.tcdecks.net/formato.php?format=Vintage is also a good spot. THey have a lot of events.

Everblight posted:

Dredge is the most consistent deck in Vintage by far! Its one of the consistent threats you HAVE to beat with any vintage decks. The issue becomes that you have to have 8-12 cards for beating shops and 8-12 cards for beating dredge while still being good against storm and Mana Drain decks. Which makes it more of a 'which pillar do I want to lose to today' kinda deal.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 13, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

Edit: Never mind. Yeah, it's all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bhsman, I saw this Esper Mill list about a year ago and held on to it, I imagine it's pretty close to what your opponent was running so maybe this will help?

Deck: Esper Mill

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
4 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Shelldock Isle
1 Swamp
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
4 Breaking // Entering
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
3 Mesmeric Orb
2 Mind Funeral
3 Path to Exile
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Thought Scour
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab

//Sideboard
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Disenchant
2 Echoing Truth
3 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Crypt Incursion

Display deck statistics

I really want to build this once we reach The Promised Land of cheap(er) fetches. No idea why Glimpse is slowly approaching $30 though, I don't think mill is that widely used across the entire spectrum of eternal formats and I highly doubt anyone is running it in EDH (not that an effective mill deck in EDH wouldn't be hilarious)

• Locked thread