Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Don't vote it literally doesn't matter :twisted:

Depends what state you live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Pretty sure you didn't answer my question" oh my god Terry :swoon:

You can always tell when Terry Gross is like "oh you're about to be combative?" :getin:

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

zoux posted:

Don't vote it literally doesn't matter :twisted:

I live in VA mine actually does. It is a pretty cool experience, really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Depends what state you live in.

No it doesn't.

Turnquiet posted:

I live in VA mine actually does. It is a pretty cool experience, really.

No it doesn't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

No it doesn't.

No it doesn't.

Yes it does. There are going to be two people who have a chance of winning the election and one of them will be objectively better than the other.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A fun and illustrative experiment is to not vote in a presidential election and then check the next day and see if your vote would've changed the outcome in any way (It would not have).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

"Don't vote, it literally doesn't matter. Look into me."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

A fun and illustrative experiment is to not vote in a presidential election and then check the next day and see if your vote would've changed the outcome in any way (It would not have).

If that's your opinion, why the gently caress are you here in the politics subforum? You have no power, no choice, why care. Just go about your day like the mindless drone you are.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

Counterpoint: Florida 2000.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

A fun and illustrative experiment is to litter and then check and see if your litter would've changed the measurable amount of plastic debris in the ocean (It would not have).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Keep in mind Zoux lives in Texas when he speaks of the futility of voting. It's a state where the warehouse full of voting machines for the minority district "accidentally" catches fire, never mind everything outside the Austin city limits.

I'm not super pleased on Clinton running. Setting aside my policy preferences, I think an economic populist pitch is needed to further isolate the GOP. Shut them off on that front, hammer home inequality, they have nothing to play with. But I don't think we are going to see that from her. So far it looks like she didn't learn the lessons of 2008, with that "deeply in debt" crap to sell she knows how hard things are economically mirroring "dodging sniper fire on the Tarmac" crap to sell she knows how stressful war is.

Please run professor Warren.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

All of human activity and existence is pointless because no matter what you accomplish it will have no aggregate effect on the universe, time to kikl yourself.

edit: sorry phone posting type I meant kegal yourself as existence is meaningless but pelvic exercise is important part of a daily routine in the face of oblivion

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 12, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Counterpoint: Florida 2000.

It actually speaks to my point because any election that is close enough to be decided by an individual vote is going to be decided by the courts.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Can we just have a military dictatorship already I'm tired of politicians.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Can we just have a military dictatorship already I'm tired of politicians.

We would need to adopt some spiffier uniforms.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Needs a 'That's all folks!' over it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

zoux posted:

It actually speaks to my point because any election that is close enough to be decided by an individual vote is going to be decided by the courts.

No individual vote is going to determine the outcome of an election, but that doesn't make them not matter. In a storm that causes a flood, no individual raindrop makes that flood happen, but without raindrops there is no flood.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

zoux posted:

No one gets more than one vote. You're saying one person shouldn't vote because other [one person]s are already voting. gently caress em', vote anyways. It is literally the least you can do.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Magres posted:

No individual vote is going to determine the outcome of an election, but that doesn't make them not matter. In a storm that causes a flood, no individual raindrop makes that flood happen, but without raindrops there is no flood.

Something something Kochs buying elections rabble rabble Citizen's United rabble rabble.

I stand by the notion that if you don't cast your vote you forfeit your right to bitch about current politics.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Keep in mind Zoux lives in Texas when he speaks of the futility of voting. It's a state where the warehouse full of voting machines for the minority district "accidentally" catches fire, never mind everything outside the Austin city limits.

I'm not super pleased on Clinton running. Setting aside my policy preferences, I think an economic populist pitch is needed to further isolate the GOP. Shut them off on that front, hammer home inequality, they have nothing to play with. But I don't think we are going to see that from her. So far it looks like she didn't learn the lessons of 2008, with that "deeply in debt" crap to sell she knows how hard things are economically mirroring "dodging sniper fire on the Tarmac" crap to sell she knows how stressful war is.

Please run professor Warren.

I live in Texas as well and I think that one should still vote. If only so you can go up to college Republicans and whisper in their ear "I voted for a black man". Or in 2016, "I voted for a woman" because whatever Hilary's sins (and there are many after how long she's been in D.C.) she'll be miles ahead of ANYONE the Republicans could suggest.

Yes, Texas will still be Red at the end of the day for any elections before 2020 at the earliest unless there's some massive upheaval, but I'm going to do my best to make Republicans poo poo themselves in fear of Texas turning blue/purple and spend more money on the state that could be spent on elections in more purple states.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magres posted:

Accretionist posted:

No one gets more than one vote. You're saying one person shouldn't vote because other [one person]s are already voting. gently caress em', vote anyways. It is literally the least you can do.

Alkydere posted:

I live in Texas as well and I think that one should still vote. If only so you can go up to college Republicans and whisper in their ear "I voted for a black man". Or in 2016, "I voted for a woman" because whatever Hilary's sins (and there are many after how long she's been in D.C.) she'll be miles ahead of ANYONE the Republicans could suggest.

Yes, Texas will still be Red at the end of the day for any elections before 2020 at the earliest unless there's some massive upheaval, but I'm going to do my best to make Republicans poo poo themselves in fear of Texas turning blue/purple and spend more money on the state that could be spent on elections in more purple states.

These aren't very compelling reasons to participate in a corrupt system that fosters the illusion of choice while putting individuals who don't represent the concerns of you or any of the constituencies you care about into power.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Can someone post re-post that link to that blog of the really smart guy tearing libertarians apart on a bunch of different issues. I think it was in this thread? Thanks.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But I can't personally be Neo and usher in the new age :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

This reminds me of a conversation a friend of mine had while I was in the room. He was playing Planetside 2 (a big, persistent world First Person Shooter) and his clan had just lost a fight against a clan that is led by a known virulent piece of poo poo (misogynistic, racist, homophobic. basically a skinhead) that he had a feud with (largely because of the aggressive terribleness) and the guy sends him a PM saying "How does it feel to lose to a white republican gun owner you tree-hugging hippy human being?" My friend responds "How does it feel to have a black man for president?"

That was a good day :buddy:

zoux posted:

These aren't very compelling reasons to participate in a corrupt system that fosters the illusion of choice while putting individuals who don't represent the concerns of you or any of the constituencies you care about into power.

If you've got any better ideas for what to do, I'm all ears. Like genuinely, if I knew better poo poo to do I would.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 12, 2014

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

metachronos posted:

Can someone post re-post that link to that blog of the really smart guy tearing libertarians apart on a bunch of different issues. I think it was in this thread? Thanks.

http://mattbruenig.com/
I think this is what you were looking for?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

zoux posted:

The populist, underfunded candidate JUST UNSEATED the "corrupt powerhouse" politician House Majority leader and you still don't think votes matter?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magres posted:

If you've got any better ideas for what to do, I'm all ears. Like genuinely, if I knew better poo poo to do I would.

I do not.

Amergin posted:

The populist, underfunded candidate JUST UNSEATED the "corrupt powerhouse" politician House Majority leader and you still don't think votes matter?

I don't think my personal decision whether or not to vote in an election matters, no. I point as evidence to all the elections in history that have been decided by more than one popular vote, which is all of them ever.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

zoux posted:

I do not.

Even minorly, nearly inconsequentially affecting the outcomes of elections is better than nothing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

I think the difference is Republicans give us plutocracy and the Democrats give us plutocracy with a soft landing, meaning, food stamps and the like will still exist. You don't think that's a significant difference?

edit:

zoux posted:

I don't think my personal decision whether or not to vote in an election matters, no. I point as evidence to all the elections in history that have been decided by more than one popular vote, which is all of them ever.

All votes are one vote. You're going to take your ball and go home because you're not King of America. You're just demoralized.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 12, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Accretionist posted:

I think the difference is Republicans give us plutocracy and the Democrats give us plutocracy with a soft landing, meaning, food stamps and the like will still exist. You don't think that's a significant difference?

I agree that Democrats are better than Republicans. I do not agree that my singular vote has any effect on which one is in power.

Accretionist posted:

. You're just demoralized.

Why yes I have been paying attention to the news and political landscape of the country.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

But I can't personally be Neo and usher in the new age :(
This is an excellent summation of idiots who don't vote but bitch about politics regardless.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

zoux posted:

I point to low voter turnout as the consequence of a bunch of people having similar notions.

Be the change you want to see Zissou.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I live in Texas and vote third party what now.

But no for real if you legit think there's no difference in who you're supporting have you even read this thread?

Or actually maybe that's the problem with echo chambers like this, we get so far up our rear end of 'yea if you think about it everything is horrible and the democrats are all terrible too and Amerikkka is the worst' we forget that there are actually different forms of terrible and there are some terrible people who would be terrible in ways that the poor wouldn't starve in the streets or whatever.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If no one votes, they say gently caress it and we go on without a president for four years.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Smiling Knight posted:

So I actually know the Paulite wunderkid who was was Brat's adviser, because our college years overlapped a bit. Dude was a big, imposing guy who would drive his pickup truck onto the campus green to hold barbecues and blast country music. Whenever formal dress was required, he would wear a white jacket with a red bowtie. One year at Plenary, a biannual event where the entire student body meets to discuss things like alcohol policy, changes to the honor code, etc, he went up to the microphone and proposed a resolution to make himself dictator of the college.

When the news about Brat came it, it took me a while to realize that I knew the guy, because at college literally everyone include he called him "Nard." I wouldn't have know his actual name if it weren't for Facebook. I had this really weird moment where that night that Cantor lost, someone posted a link to Brat's website, and chrome had it darkened as though I had already clicked it. Turned out I had read about him months ago when the Paulite posted it on Facebook.

So Cantor was beaten by a Paulite called Nard.

Welcome to the Next Generation of American Politics! Strap in! :haw:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

zoux posted:

Man, Republicans sure are dumb for coming up with all these schemes to suppress the vote, God what a waste of time and money because, duh guys, voter turnout doesn't matter!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

I point to low voter turnout as the consequence of a bunch of people having similar notions.

Be the change you want to see Zissou.

I agree but I don't have the power to send out voter encouragement vibes when I go to vote or voter bummer vibes when I don't so whether or not I, individually vote or not nothing changes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

I agree that Democrats are better than Republicans. I do not agree that my singular vote has any effect on which one is in power.

Singular votes are the only votes that exist. You have as much influence as anyone else.

zoux posted:

Why yes I have been paying attention to the news and political landscape of the country.

Keep it to yourself then if you're just demoralized. Political outcomes are all about influence. And as much as politics is pay to play, politicians still need votes (see: Cantordammerung) Votes are influence. In context of reality, you're saying that since things are terrible they should be more terrible. We're ignored by our politicians, so let's get ignored even harder. We have too little influence, so let's have none instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Once again people assume the Presidential election is the only one worth voting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

zoux posted:

Perhaps if I lived in Texas this would be true but in my current location this is objectively false.

• Locked thread