Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

I agree and I would probably do those things if I lived in not the reddest state in the country.
I live in Utah. I still vote even though it's important time I could spend drinking. If every disillusioned moderate to liberal in my state voted for the Democrat we'd win at least a few races.

Sorry about the doublepost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Accretionist posted:

What we need is a Leftist quiverfull movement. We'd not only be outbreeding those who want to regress to the 19th century, we'd be jacking up our PSRs, too.

Legit the quiverfull movement may be the most terrible thing on the planet.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone able to comment on what the likelihood of a shared security framework (of some sort) being established?

edit: To the extent that it's all realpolitik under the hood, it seems like a logical direction from any regime to want to go in. Nations benefit from stability, internal and external.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 12, 2014

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Family Values posted:

So the only time a vote matters is if the candidate you voted for wins by exactly one vote? And by extension, I guess only one vote mattered in that election. This is the dumbest thing.

Woah, woah, woah, hold on! In this well researched documentary about the 2004 election...

Accretionist posted:

So, what I'm getting from this is you're a monarchist. And you think only the king should be bothered with anything.

An old standard of political cartooning, but a good one.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Amergin posted:

In all honesty we shouldn't have gone into Iraq (Bush), but Bush was also the one who laid the plans for our exit and Obama saw them through. So, bets on whether we become buddies with Iran over our mutual hatred of ISIS?

Anyone who reads this thread regularly can write the GOP talking points no matter what Obama does.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Amergin posted:

I point to low voter turnout as the consequence of a bunch of people having similar notions.

Be the change you want to see Zissou.
This is kinda what I wanted to say. zoux, your single vote is meaningless. I'm not going to pretend it isn't. Elections aren't won by a single vote. However, the attitude you are taking, "elections aren't won by a single vote, thus my vote is worthless, gently caress this democracy (flip chessboard) I'm done", is a cancerous idea that is disturbingly common amongst unaffiliated voters. Your single vote does not swing an election, zoux, but if all the people like you decided to get off their rear end and do something instead of just complaining then, well, that's a lot more than one person, isn't it?

Be the change you want to see, zoux. Every time you bitch about the system, you increase the chance of making someone else disaffected. Then that's not just one, that's two votes who aren't participating. And so on and so fourth. Right now, not only are you depriving the democratic process of your vote but you are actively harming it by spreading the idea that voting is pointless to more people. Be passionate, even if your single vote is worthless. Maybe more people will choose to vote who wouldn't have before as a result.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Is it from me not voting?

If it's close the person who you completely disagree with will win instead of the person you almost completely disagree with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

This is kinda what I wanted to say. zoux, your single vote is meaningless.

That's all I was saying.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It's like there's a gauge reflecting the public's influence. The more people vote, the more influence we have. The less people vote, the less influence have. The more we try to extort concessions in exchange for our votes, the more influence we have. The less influenced by propaganda we are, the more influence we have.

I could keep going but we're still at the, "Go vote, you idiots," stage of things.

Zoux, go vote. Vote third party. Be for anything that fucks up the system if you're that cynical. Help jack up their numbers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

That's all I was saying.
Did you not read the entire rest of the post where I said "but vote anyway because it's not your single vote at stake when you have an attitude like that" or what

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Did you not read the entire rest of the post where I said "but vote anyway because it's not your single vote at stake when you have an attitude like that" or what

No you said not to talk about my opinion because it might make other people not vote. I generally don't because as we've seen here people get real loving mad when you tell them you don't vote.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Amergin posted:

In other news Iraq is sort of having some issues. Again I think foreign policy will be the biggest thing that bites 2016 Dem candidates.

Paraphrasing from the Middle East thread: "Interesting how leaving Iraq was one of Obama's biggest achievements and when Iraq suddenly turns into a shitpool it becomes Bush's fault."

In all honesty we shouldn't have gone into Iraq (Bush), but Bush was also the one who laid the plans for our exit and Obama saw them through. So, bets on whether we become buddies with Iran over our mutual hatred of ISIS?
As long as Obama doesnt go back to occupying Iraq I dont think the Middle East melting down on cue during the buildup to 2016 will be harmful to dems.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

No you said not to talk about my opinion because it might make other people not vote. I generally don't because as we've seen here people get real loving mad when you tell them you don't vote.

It's Democratic Self-Harm.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

zoux posted:

I generally don't because as we've seen here people get real loving mad when you tell them you don't vote.
It is irresponsible by definition. People who are politically active are offended that you take pride in being irresponsible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It is irresponsible by definition. People who are politically active are offended that you take pride in being irresponsible.

Casting a vote every 2 years doesn't make one "politically active".

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

JT Jag posted:

Be the change you want to see, zoux. Every time you bitch about the system, you increase the chance of making someone else disaffected. Then that's not just one, that's two votes who aren't participating. And so on and so fourth. Right now, not only are you depriving the democratic process of your vote but you are actively harming it by spreading the idea that voting is pointless to more people. Be passionate, even if your single vote is worthless. Maybe more people will choose to vote who wouldn't have before as a result.

Why would I want to help the democratic process in this country? I'm not an accelerationist by any means but encouraging people to see the system for what it is doesn't strike me as particularly terrible.

I agree with zoux. I vote locally now and then since I think ideology is less important than day to day competency in governance at that level but beyond that I usually don't bother. Not only is my individual vote useless but I'm almost never offered the option to vote for anyone who's proposed policies I find agreeable. If I disagree with >50% of a candidates platform I'm not voting for them, end of story. Everyone here just pushes this idea that if my options are a Democrat that I agree with 35% of their platform or a Republican where I agree with 5% of their platform then I have some civic duty to vote for the Democrat even though I fundamentally disagree with the majority of their proposed policies. It would almost be better if there weren't ANY politicians who I would support but instead there are actually a few I'd wholeheartedly support but I've never once been in a position to vote for them. Fingers crossed Warren runs for president.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

It's basically the least you could do.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Berke Negri posted:

As long as Obama doesnt go back to occupying Iraq I dont think the Middle East melting down on cue during the buildup to 2016 will be harmful to dems.

Yeah I mean attacking Obama for Iraq being a shitshow is a non-starter. That's Bush's War and the GOP has to eat it. The GOP base will of course blame Obama but they now blame Obama for Hurricane Katrina so there's no way to change that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Oh my god, shut the gently caress up. It's more active in the political process than you.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

Compared to you, it is. Voting is literally the least you can do. You as in you, specifically.

Being a non-GOP non-voter who tells other non-GOP people not to vote is literally something that Republicans love. The Republicans love you. They spend tons of time and money to suppress voter turnout and here you are helping them out for free.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

computer parts posted:

Once again people assume the Presidential election is the only one worth voting for.

You would think the last few years would have caused people to realize the importance of other elections.

Imagine what the last 4 years would have been like if Republicans didn't control the house.

Sigh.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Compared to you, it is. Voting is literally the least you can do. You as in you, specifically.

Being a non-GOP non-voter who tells other non-GOP people not to vote is literally something that Republicans love. The Republicans love you. They spend tons of time and money to suppress voter turnout and here you are helping them out for free.

So I should vote out of spite? The system has enough spite driving it without my meager contributions.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Why would I want to help the democratic process in this country? I'm not an accelerationist by any means but encouraging people to see the system for what it is doesn't strike me as particularly terrible.
Just think about it for a second. The system is already hosed up, and the fewer people that vote, the more hosed up it gets. It's a lot easier to buy an election with low turnout, so you're only helping the rich fucks by not voting.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

theblackw0lf posted:

You would think the last few years would have caused people to realize the importance of other elections.

Imagine what the last 4 years would have been like if Republicans didn't control the house.

Sigh.

The thing is, framing this as a voter apathy issue is inaccurate...the apathy is a symptom not the cause.

The House remains GOP controlled because of gerrymandering. I vote in every election, including local and primaries. I also am extremely cynical about voting. Having said that, no matter what my district will be going to a Democrat, because the state is really gerrymandered, as are most.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I agree with zoux. I vote locally now and then since I think ideology is less important than day to day competency in governance at that level but beyond that I usually don't bother. Not only is my individual vote useless but I'm almost never offered the option to vote for anyone who's proposed policies I find agreeable. If I disagree with >50% of a candidates platform I'm not voting for them, end of story. Everyone here just pushes this idea that if my options are a Democrat that I agree with 35% of their platform or a Republican where I agree with 5% of their platform then I have some civic duty to vote for the Democrat even though I fundamentally disagree with the majority of their proposed policies. It would almost be better if there weren't ANY politicians who I would support but instead there are actually a few I'd wholeheartedly support but I've never once been in a position to vote for them. Fingers crossed Warren runs for president.

Bad news nutsack, the core of the right wing voter base is old people with literally nothing to do but vote on election day. Showing 'the system as it is' is basically handing the system over to the dudes who can best manipulate stupid old people and that's pretty always been the right wing since most of their platform is "CHANGE IS SCARY AND DID I SEE A NEGRO?!"

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Berke Negri posted:

I doubt he'll do that pretty much everyone who wasn't the most far right of Republicans wanted out. If the ME melts down people won't care unless someone from the US or it allies gets hurt by the region being destabilized.

Americans seems to be moving towards a more isolationist stance outside of Dems who thinks America needs to project force in the world, Right-wing jingoists,and neo-liberals on both sides who think freedom means America's particular brand of free market.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

So I should vote out of spite? The system has enough spite driving it without my meager contributions.

Spite's gay. He should vote because it's the right thing to do. He should stop doing what he's doing now, in particular, because he's literally helping the Republican party.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Just think about it for a second. The system is already hosed up, and the fewer people that vote, the more hosed up it gets. It's a lot easier to buy an election with low turnout, so you're only helping the rich fucks by not voting.

If fewer people are voting because they recognize how broken the system is then it getting more hosed up would hopefully encourage some sort of national discussion about fixing the loving problems.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Accretionist posted:

You don't know how politically active I am. All you know is that I don't do what we've all agreed is literally the least important thing one can do as part of the political process.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SirKibbles posted:

So the guy who is going to replace Eric Cantor as the Republican candidate is batshit from what I hear?

That depends. Do you consider believing that the correct way to practice Christianity is through Randian Objectivism and that we need to read more Nietzsche to prevent the next Hitler to be "batshit"?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

It's not spite, it's just common sense. You might only support 50% of what a Democrat stands for, but if the Republican is a horrible poo poo, you're giving one more horrible fucker power with their vote by not voting. Personally, I don't give a poo poo whether or not anyone votes, but your logic on the matter isn't.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

If fewer people are voting because they recognize how broken the system is then it getting more hosed up would hopefully encourage some sort of national discussion about fixing the loving problems.

And in that time the right, who have shown to have higher activity rates of their voters, gets to win and oh gee whiz what the gently caress happened guys we were discussing things and then when it came time for the lawmakers to act nothing happened???

It's crazy but you can talk about systematic problems and participate in the basic level of democracy too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

That's only if things getting worse makes people better.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Joementum posted:

That depends. Do you consider believing that the correct way to practice Christianity is through Randian Objectivism and that we need to read more Nietzsche to prevent the next Hitler to be "batshit"?

Honestly I saw that quote but I thought it was a joke.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Berke Negri posted:

Hahahaha, what?

All you are going to see is Republicans on every media outlet saying 'Remember that Islamic caliphate that extremists wanted to establish, the one we warned you guys about? Well, say hello to ISIS!"

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Spite's gay. He should vote because it's the right thing to do. He should stop doing what he's doing now, in particular, because he's literally helping the Republican party.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Bad news nutsack, the core of the right wing voter base is old people with literally nothing to do but vote on election day. Showing 'the system as it is' is basically handing the system over to the dudes who can best manipulate stupid old people and that's pretty always been the right wing since most of their platform is "CHANGE IS SCARY AND DID I SEE A NEGRO?!"

Hahah, I should vote because otherwise the other team wins. Listen to yourselves for a minute. THIS IS MY EXACT loving PROBLEM. I'm not voting in order to screw over some other group, whether or not I find their beliefs abhorrent. I'm either voting FOR someone or not at all.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

You don't know how politically active I am. All you know is that I don't do what we've all agreed is literally the least important thing one can do as part of the political process.

"Let me tell you all the good things my drum circle accomplishes with our communal bookcase in back of coffee shop library we run."

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

^^^^^Hahah, because voting and drum circles are IT. There is no other way to be politically active.

Accretionist posted:

That's only if things getting worse makes people better.

I know. I wish I knew what made people better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hahah, I should vote because otherwise the other team wins. Listen to yourselves for a minute. THIS IS MY EXACT loving PROBLEM. I'm not voting in order to screw over some other group, whether or not I find their beliefs abhorrent. I'm either voting FOR someone or not at all.

No your exact problem is you don't 100% agree with democrats and are too much of a bitch to vote third party because despite your bluster you want to feel like your vote was more 'important' than that, so you say gently caress it like a big baby and take your ball and go home while hiding behind some bullshit 'yea man I'm really opening people's eyes by being a lazy piece of poo poo'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That's the key point though; if it was solely due to awareness you wouldn't have Voter ID laws.

• Locked thread