Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just got through the first series of this since it popped up on Netflix recently. Pretty dire stuff overall. The first episode showed a ton of potential but it was drowned in watery, cheesy sugar by the midpoint. The last few episodes had some good stuff in them, but the entire mid-section of the finale/conclusion to the story was nothing you wouldn't see in a Dreamworks cartoon about a haunted house. It's like the show went out of the way to get less hosed up, less gory, less scary and less interesting as it went on.

Surprised it got a second, third or fourth season to be honest. Is it safe to assume that I wont like Asylum if I didn't like Murder House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Asylum is a huge departure from the other seasons and is regarded by many (myself included) as the best of the lot. It's certainly worth checking out a few episodes.

I even go so far as to recommend people watch Season 2 first before Murder House, as you're not missing anything and are diving head first into the amazing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, Murder House was slow going for me, it even put me off when I watched the first episode way back when. I waited another five or so months before trying it again, but after the second episode I was interested and ate up the rest of it. Season 2 was pure fantastic, once I got over the idea of the same actors doing different roles. I hadn't realized this was that type of show and was horribly confused for about 10 minutes.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Steve2911 posted:

Just got through the first series of this since it popped up on Netflix recently. Pretty dire stuff overall. The first episode showed a ton of potential but it was drowned in watery, cheesy sugar by the midpoint. The last few episodes had some good stuff in them, but the entire mid-section of the finale/conclusion to the story was nothing you wouldn't see in a Dreamworks cartoon about a haunted house. It's like the show went out of the way to get less hosed up, less gory, less scary and less interesting as it went on.

Surprised it got a second, third or fourth season to be honest. Is it safe to assume that I wont like Asylum if I didn't like Murder House?

To give you some more perspective, I think I watched the first few episodes of Murder House when it first aired, and got bored by it for the same reasons. I ended up watching Asylum for the hell of it, and loved every minute of it. There is some campy poo poo thrown into season 2, but at no point did I think it was too much, and I thought it was part of the charm of Asylum. I gave Murder House the benefit of the doubt given how good Asylum was and re-watched it, and I enjoyed it more than I did initially. Coven, however, is mostly trash in my opinion.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I really don't know how anyone could count Coven as part of the AHS series besides the fact that some people were also involved, and the words that float around in front of the word 'Coven."
I was so very spoiled to have seen Asylum first, that was my exposure to it all. Nothing can match up to it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paradox Personified posted:

I really don't know how anyone could count Coven as part of the AHS series besides the fact that some people were also involved, and the words that float around in front of the word 'Coven."
I was so very spoiled to have seen Asylum first, that was my exposure to it all. Nothing can match up to it.

True Detective was a real american horror story.

Also, Asylum was goddamn fantastic. Even the aliens and spanking satanic nuns. Everything about that season was fantastic and wonderful.

Jesus Christ, Spock's character was horrific.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 3, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Drifter posted:

True Detective was a real american horror story.

YES!! True Detective is what season 3 of AHS should have been

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hangedman1984 posted:

YES!! True Detective is what season 3 of AHS should have been

God it was such a good show.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
TD and asylum are probably my 2 favorite seasons of television ever.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Sarah Paulson playing a two headed conjoined twin on Freakshow.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All I can say is thank God they have a format that will allow them to throw out ALL of Coven and start over.

Usually if a TV show goes really wrong during a season, it's stuck in a position to have to either repair or retcon it, and neither solution is very good. At least AHS can go "woops!" and just ignore it ever happened.

If I thought that the Coven plotline was going to drag on to another season I can tell you, I'd jump ship so fast.

On the upside, though, Coven has finally given Heroes Season 3 a run for it's money in terms of incoherency and stupidity, and now I finally have a second show to mention in discussions of the most incompetently handled TV ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jscolon2.0 posted:

Sarah Paulson playing a two headed conjoined twin on Freakshow.

:stare:

Their names are Bette and Dot and I have no idea how they plan to accomplish the vfx on a TV budget.

As before, new thread when they release video.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Their names are Bette and Dot and I have no idea how they plan to accomplish the vfx on a TV budget.

TV can be really weird about this. The face-replacing effects for Orphan Black were seamless and that was on a B-list cable network, while at the same time season 4 of Arrested Development was Netflix's big push into original programming and the effects for George Sr. and Oscar being in the same scene were awful.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

haveblue posted:

Possibly by either having one twin die to be replaced by a Sarah Paulson prosthetic, or get cut off early or midway through the season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

haveblue posted:

Ugh this season is going to be terrible. I just know it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really loved both Murder House and Asylum, so I will be giving this show another chance after last seasons debacle. Another poo poo-show like that and I'm done though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

haveblue posted:

Also

Doltos posted:

Ugh this season is going to be terrible. I just know it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I'm Bad Lana... and you're Good Lana!

A five-minute gag in an intentionally cheesy horror-comedy film is a totally different animal from a major character in a 13-episode TV show, though.

On the other hand, I think Coven got good ratings even though we and all the critics ended up hating it so maybe budget isn't a problem.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Do not ever call Army of Darkness intentionally cheesy. It is a masterpiece.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm very willing to give this season the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully Coven was just some terrible fever dream of a mistake and they can pull it together.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Doltos posted:

Do not ever call Army of Darkness intentionally cheesy. It is a masterpiece.
It is an intentionally cheesy masterpiece - no contradiction there.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Basebf555 posted:

I really loved both Murder House and Asylum, so I will be giving this show another chance after last seasons debacle. Another poo poo-show like that and I'm done though.

I think that's how most of us feel.

Thank goodness that Coven spin-off/sequel never came to fruition.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

OmegaBR posted:

I think that's how most of us feel.

Thank goodness that Coven spin-off/sequel never came to fruition.

The sad thing is most people who I talk to about this show loved Coven. I know my friends opinions on this show hardly match up to Neilsen ratings, but it feels like if anything America Horror Story's rating skyrocketed during its worst season, and people lapped it up.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

haveblue posted:

Does anyone else think this looks really bad?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AGirlWonder posted:

Does anyone else think this looks really bad?

gently caress yeah it's bad. She is NOT a summer. :colbert:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Doltos posted:

The sad thing is most people who I talk to about this show loved Coven. I know my friends opinions on this show hardly match up to Neilsen ratings, but it feels like if anything America Horror Story's rating skyrocketed during its worst season, and people lapped it up.

Not to sound .... assumptive here, but Coven really kinda appealed to a certain demographic, and it wasn't necessarily the one they were aiming for with Murder House and Asylum. I definitely understand why ratings were strong.

As a show, I wouldn't call it a failure. As a season of American Horror Story, I would.

Honestly, the same thing kinda happened with Archer: Vice. There was a different tone, a different direction, and it just didn't work for what you like the show for in the first place.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Coven was just bland and generally disjointed. And like 45 minutes devoted to spiral shots with Stevie Nicks song-overs.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

OmegaBR posted:

Not to sound .... assumptive here, but Coven really kinda appealed to a certain demographic, and it wasn't necessarily the one they were aiming for with Murder House and Asylum. I definitely understand why ratings were strong.

As a show, I wouldn't call it a failure. As a season of American Horror Story, I would.

Honestly, the same thing kinda happened with Archer: Vice. There was a different tone, a different direction, and it just didn't work for what you like the show for in the first place.

It appealed to people who don't pay attention.

And I liked Archer: Vice :colbert:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

The sad thing is most people who I talk to about this show loved Coven.

Who the gently caress loved Coven?

I suppose if you only say one or two random episodes, it might come across OK. But Coven has that wonderful extra something to piss you off: It likes to kick continuity in the teeth every loving chance it gets, and it makes scenes that would have been fine on their own (again, good acting and direction most of the time) just loving stupid as hell.

Take the hunter massacre scene. It was actually a kind of neat scene, except it was the death of a random as hell plot thread with characters on every side of the fence doing pure what the gently caress, out of character bullshit. It really was the show in a microcosm, all style over substance - if it even had substance at all.

You could seriously launch into a 10 minute "Everything wrong with this scene" Plinkett style rant, but again, you could do that about most every scene in the entire season. Seriously some of the sloppiest "pull it out your rear end" writing I've ever seen.

Like half of the major characters and plot threads just ended out of the blue, for the most random possible reasons. It was really loving terrible. Take the whole Nan arc: Meets a boy with a deranged mother, becomes super powerful, thinks she could be the most powerful witch; cut to killing the boy outta nowhere because he knows about the BEE MURDER, then she abruptly gets JUMP-CUT into a bathtub drowning.

... they literally killed a main character, again, in a loving jump cut.

ED: And Oh Yeah, also pissing me off: Characters forgetting they have powers every loving time they need them. On top of the above scene we have gems like a witch powerful enough to flip buses with a blink and mastered what, 6 out of 7 big spells... and she can't do more than squirm when a guy who's abilities (a guy she MIND CONTROLLED without effort not 15 minutes before) amount to "Pretty strong" held her down? What the gently caress, Coven. That'd be like Wolverine forgetting he has Goddamn claws. Don't even get me started on how badly they wasted Kathy Bates by just retconning the whole arc out of nowhere.

What a mess. Not a single character or plot point ever amounted to a damned thing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 14, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Coven owned, womanhaters

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blazing Ownager posted:

A shitload of people who don't post here or care about anything you mentioned, apparently.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Blazing Ownager posted:

Coven was my favorite season because it was so fun to watch. :shrug:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I felt tricked by Coven. I nominated it in the TVIV Annual "Best of" poll thing - and then it got awful.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

And this is why I don't have high hopes for the upcoming season. If Coven did this well, they're probably going to follow that style, for lack of a better word, again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

And this is why I don't have high hopes for the upcoming season. If Coven did this well, they're probably going to follow that style, for lack of a better word, again.

it's the same style as the first two seasons you idiot

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

scary ghost dog posted:

it's the same style as the first two seasons you idiot

I mean bad writing, "funny," and campy you idiot.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I suppose if you only say one or two random episodes, it might come across OK. But Coven has that wonderful extra something to piss you off: It likes to kick continuity in the teeth every loving chance it gets, and it makes scenes that would have been fine on their own (again, good acting and direction most of the time) just loving stupid as hell.

Take the hunter massacre scene. It was actually a kind of neat scene, except it was the death of a random as hell plot thread with characters on every side of the fence doing pure what the gently caress, out of character bullshit. It really was the show in a microcosm, all style over substance - if it even had substance at all.

You could seriously launch into a 10 minute "Everything wrong with this scene" Plinkett style rant, but again, you could do that about most every scene in the entire season. Seriously some of the sloppiest "pull it out your rear end" writing I've ever seen.

Like half of the major characters and plot threads just ended out of the blue, for the most random possible reasons. It was really loving terrible. Take the whole Nan arc: Meets a boy with a deranged mother, becomes super powerful, thinks she could be the most powerful witch; cut to killing the boy outta nowhere because he knows about the BEE MURDER, then she abruptly gets JUMP-CUT into a bathtub drowning.

... they literally killed a main character, again, in a loving jump cut.

ED: And Oh Yeah, also pissing me off: Characters forgetting they have powers every loving time they need them. On top of the above scene we have gems like a witch powerful enough to flip buses with a blink and mastered what, 6 out of 7 big spells... and she can't do more than squirm when a guy who's abilities (a guy she MIND CONTROLLED without effort not 15 minutes before) amount to "Pretty strong" held her down? What the gently caress, Coven. That'd be like Wolverine forgetting he has Goddamn claws. Don't even get me started on how badly they wasted Kathy Bates by just retconning the whole arc out of nowhere.

What a mess. Not a single character or plot point ever amounted to a damned thing.

Coven was amazing if you view it as a series of awesome vignettes instead of a cohesive story or season.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

I mean bad writing, "funny," and campy you idiot.

ah yes the sincere, "unfunny" and well written first two seasons, in which Connie Britton eats a brain skraight up in the murder house, and a nazi doctor puts himself in an oven after lobotomizing Anne frank.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

ah yes the sincere, "unfunny" and well written first two seasons, in which Connie Britton eats a brain skraight up in the murder house, and a nazi doctor puts himself in an oven after lobotomizing Anne frank.

There was a significant change in cohesiveness of plot which very dramatically affects the overall tone of the series.

AHS 1 was pretty goofy, sure, but it all made sense, structurally. Same with 2. 3 was just a first draft of a High school creative writing story. The ideas were present and interesting, but the execution suffered immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

scary ghost dog posted:

"Weird/goofy things sometimes happen in Murder House/Asylum" is hardly on the same level as "a character dramatically influences the endings of several other characters' arcs, and isn't even so much as mentioned in passing as a Thing until the 10th episode out of 13".

• Locked thread