Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Periodiko posted:

It seems like a really useful tactic to justify re-invasion of Iraq on the grounds of a renewed Global War on Terror.

We aren't going to re-invade Iraq. We might bomb a bunch of stuff, but the odds of officially putting boots on the ground is in the negatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Apparently ISIS/ISIL managed to steal $450 million from a bank during their push into the capital. :stare:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Apparently ISIS/ISIL managed to steal $450 million from a bank during their push into the capital. :stare:

was it in dollars or in (worthless) dinars?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think that's old news from when they captured Mosul, unless they stumbled upon another bank on the way.

I think at this point we've seen the furthest ISIS will get, Now that the other sects and forces have rallied and gathered their forces we'll be seeing significant blowback coming their way. Especially now that ISIS already started with their mass killings of prisoners, they'll quickly gain the full ire of everyone and the resolve of their opposition will harden significantly.

The biggest evidence will be what happens in Samarra, I personally dont think they'll manage to take it, but if they do then things are definitely swinging in their direction.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 13, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think you're right about this being the extent of their reach, but I'm curious if Shia militias or the Iraqi army will make a move on Fallujah or Mosul, though. It'd be a risky move and I don't see them fairing too well.

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

Bait and Swatch posted:

Calling for political unity and support for the army while condemning the takeover of Nineveh is a bit less than what your inferring. Plus, he's a quietist twelver and the situation was/is more complicated than you make it sound? Despite your irrationally violent rage over a situation your not in, the Americans taking Iraq are hardly comparable to Takfiris swooping down giving promises that they will wipe out all Shiites.

A lot of sunnis I have encountered hate shia because they can't hate their kings who rule them and all their decisions are made by crooks of their kings and their family. All the while Iran and Iranians took political power into their own hands and overthrew their hog leaders. So, a lot of sunnis resent shia for doing what they couldn't do. That's just my opinion though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

was it in dollars or in (worthless) dinars?

I heard some of it was in gold. No source though.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Weren't Maliki too stubborn to negotiate a security agreement with the US a few years ago? Bet he's kicking himself in the nuts now if that's the case.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

GuyinCognito posted:

A lot of sunnis I have encountered hate shia because they can't hate their kings who rule them and all their decisions are made by crooks of their kings and their family. All the while Iran and Iranians took political power into their own hands and overthrew their hog leaders. So, a lot of sunnis resent shia for doing what they couldn't do. That's just my opinion though.

You lost me. Are you saying that the Sunni hate the Shia because Khomeini overthrew the Shah and the Sunni haven't been able to do the same? I'm sure there are Sunni who mention this, but I've also met Sunni who say they don't like them because they say they are whiny, whip themselves and take too many holidays. The entire issue is very broad, yet very detailed and often overblown. I would venture to say that the vast majority of Sunnis and Shiites have absolutely no desire to murder their neghbors indescriminately.

Edit: 2 Os in "too"

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, apparently ISIS is claiming they kidnapped some Israeli teens.

http://www.haaretz.co.il/news/politics/1.2348391

I can't read Hebrew but is that what the article is saying?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Some guy on Brown Moses' Iraq Twitter list is RAVING CRAZY about how the al jazarah military base in Samarra where Maliki and his generals were meeting in has been struck by a massive car bomb (but maliki had left by then), he hasnt sourced his claims so I'll assume it's bullshit if we dont get confirmation in the next hour or so.

Oh now he's claiming that there's unconfirmed reports of maliki getting hurt in the explosion nevermind this guy is clearly talking out of his rear end.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 13, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lima posted:

Weren't Maliki too stubborn to negotiate a security agreement with the US a few years ago? Bet he's kicking himself in the nuts now if that's the case.

You mean the one where the US insisted that US troops would have no accountability to the Iraqi government, and would instead be accountable only to the justice system within the military that had proved itself broken to the Iraqi people time and time again?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Volkerball posted:

You mean the one where the US insisted that US troops would have no accountability to the Iraqi government, and would instead be accountable only to the justice system within the military that had proved itself broken to the Iraqi people time and time again?

And the Iranians would never have played ball. From a political standpoint, US troop presence in Iraq under a majority Shia government would of been suicide. Now it's homicide, but damned if you do...

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Volkerball posted:

The odd reason that this was such a sticking point was because of how broken the Iraqi judicial system was. We did next to nothing to fix it over our decade of occupation, and then tried to throw a fit over it during the SOFA negotiations. The burden of proof required for conviction was two sworn statements from Iraqi males saying you did what you are accused of. These could materialize themselves after you were arrested and it was enough to throw you in jail or give you the noose. This is what happened to the hundreds/thousands of Sunni arrested by Maliki during the broad IA sweeps and a major grievance still not addressed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nckdictator posted:

So, apparently ISIS is claiming they kidnapped some Israeli teens.

http://www.haaretz.co.il/news/politics/1.2348391

I can't read Hebrew but is that what the article is saying?

wow, that seems like a realy stupid move on ISIS part.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Probably just some Palestinian extremist group.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

pengun101 posted:

wow, that seems like a realy stupid move on ISIS part.

Same with taking hostages from the Turkish consulate. They haven't really been avoiding stepping on toes during this.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There have been reports that after ISIS captured Jalula there have been heavy clashes between ISIS and Peshmerga deployed in the town to protect Kurdish political party offices, now there are mixed reports (largely from Kurdish sources) that the peshmerga have successfully driven out ISIS and are in effective control. Jalula is in the disputed Khanaqin District claimed by the KRG so it's not surprising they where keen to push ISIS out of the town but it does bring them a lot closer to the ISIS advance towards Baghdad.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
There's a piece on the missing students on Al Jazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/06/israel-searches-kidnapped-students-201461315494572856.html

No mention of ISIS, the Israeli government is (of course) blaming the PA but nothing concrete.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bait and Swatch posted:

The odd reason that this was such a sticking point was because of how broken the Iraqi judicial system was. We did next to nothing to fix it over our decade of occupation, and then tried to throw a fit over it during the SOFA negotiations. The burden of proof required for conviction was two sworn statements from Iraqi males saying you did what you are accused of. These could materialize themselves after you were arrested and it was enough to throw you in jail or give you the noose. This is what happened to the hundreds/thousands of Sunni arrested by Maliki during the broad IA sweeps and a major grievance still not addressed.

As opposed to god knows how many rapes and innocent people who were killed and had a drop weapon thrown next to their body that didn't make it past company level. The means didn't make sense, but Iraqi frustration with the general "hearts and minds :jerkbag:" policy that was protected on so many levels throughout the war, absolutely did. There was just way too many incidents like "oh hey a guy on a motorcycle, must be scouting us up, *kills him*" for the Iraqi government to not address it and maintain legitimacy. Same broken aspect of the military justice system that allowed all this to happen to soldiers who returned home.

http://cdn.csgazette.biz/soldiers/

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Another foreign policy expert weighs in on the situation in Iraq

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Bait and Swatch posted:

You lost me. Are you saying that the Sunni hate the Shia because Khomeini overthrew the Shah and the Sunni haven't been able to do the same? I'm sure there are Sunni who mention this, but I've also met Sunni who say they don't like them because they say they are whiny, whip themselves and take too many holidays. The entire issue is very broad, yet very detailed and often overblown. I would venture to say that the vast majority of Sunnis and Shiites have absolutely no desire to murder their neghbors indescriminately.

Edit: 2 Os in "too"

He's saying that governing elites use hatred of Shia as a way to distract their populace from their malfeasance in government, and that Sunnis sublimate their anger at the government/ the economy into rage against Shia.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
I'm curious, does anyone know how SOFA agreements have worked in other situations with American troops? Are US troops subject to Korean or Japanese law? What about when we had peacekeepers in Kosovo?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Numerical Anxiety posted:

There's a piece on the missing students on Al Jazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/06/israel-searches-kidnapped-students-201461315494572856.html

No mention of ISIS, the Israeli government is (of course) blaming the PA but nothing concrete.

Oh internet comments

quote:

Five Palestinians have already been killed and several kidnapped by Israeli army in 'search' of the three missing illegal invaders in Palestine!!. What an irony!!.

They must be searched for within NutYahoo's home!.. IsreHell is ever inventing new means of terror on Palestinians, and to try to break their unity.

quote:

the ju will kidnap his own children to gain sympathy

quote:

a nuclear Iran will put a stop to the raping and killing committed by jews

quote:

I have seen how Zionist police and soldiers kidnap Palestinian children and I believe the children are kidnapped for their organs !

quote:

So true!.. IsraHell regularly kidnap Plestinian teenagers. More shamelessly, organ harvesting is their preferred business!. What a 'civilized' terrorist nation!!

quote:

Hopefully they are dead.

quote:

all child killing jews should be gassed

quote:

Israel is a lunatic state, I guess they are useful for killing children and women and they do not talk to the world about stopping soon their killing fields, I appreciate that 99% of the world reject Israel as a country and as a nation, they are people from middle ages who love killings and oppression and the world have enough about the Zionist Jewish because the world was naïve to accept Israel as a country in 1948 after world war 2. The world have seen what Israel have unleashed against the Palestinians suffering and killings 10 time more than what they have suffered in WW2, and the Arabs in Middle East have grieve twice what the European have done to the Jews in general. The population Jewish of 10 million living in USA are like a princess that their minds are locked up in the Zionist Jewish Talmud High Tower, Pity…They are rutting fools, I advice the rest of the world not to be the gentiles girlfriend for the Zionist Jewish dogma, they will not care non one than themselves at the end…the rest of the world 99% are like a patsy that the Zionist Jewish have stolen all the money of the planet so they can be the only riches in USA and in Europe, and they embarrasses the rest of the world with their sickness of manipulating every governments and countries they wish and as a dupe humanity is still licking the boots of Zionist Jewish…

quote:

In fact I think the Jews will rape everyone of the girls before cutting them into tiny pieces...The rape little Palestinians boy, why would they not rape virgen/Muslims girls?

quote:

The Jews will dress up in Muslims attire, and fake up an
accent and rape all the girls and then as usual they will blame in the girls
Muslims Brothers.

When did Al Jazeera become bizarro FReep?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dreissi posted:

Are US troops subject to Korean or Japanese law?

I thought they weren't, and that was part of why those countries are so frustrated with US troops.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The Middle East: the ju will kidnap his own children to gain sympathy

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So I have to ask: would a splintering of Iraq really be such a bad thing? The Kurds are pretty set on establishing a Kurdistan, a major part of which would encompass northern Iraq, while the Shi'ite have aligned themselves with Iran and will be supported by Iran in the conflict between ISIL and the Iraq government. Iraq as a nation is a European construction built out of the necessities of the times, but it's clear that without an authoritarian government the country will continually fall into sectarian violence. The only drawback of a splintered Iraq would be the inevitable border conflicts over the rights to oil reserves.

Dreissi posted:

Are US troops subject to Korean or Japanese law?

They aren't. If a US soldier or sailor is arrested the US government will do everything it can to have the soldier or sailor transferred to US military custody. This has been a major point of contention for Korean and Japanese citizens and their governments.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 13, 2014

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought they weren't, and that was part of why those countries are so frustrated with US troops.

I think it varies for each country. I know South Korea couldn't try soldiers in their courts until a 2011 negotiation allowed them to. Japan can try US soldiers, but the soldiers aren't handed over until charges are presented in court. I'm not sure of the SOFAs in Europe.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fizzil posted:

I know this will sound weird, but how the hell did the US plan iraq post the 2003 invasion? how did it slip into sectarianism? was there any effort to create something where all sects/ethnic groups could have a part in Iraq?

This has already been addressed, but it's something that bears emphasis. Bush and his coterie were idealists. That word tends to carry some semi-positive connotations, but that's not how I mean it. Whatever their ambitions on Iraqi resources or profit, the Bush administration seems to have truly believed that they would roll into Baghdad, topple Saddam in a week, be welcomed as liberators, and a shining new friendly Iraq run along the lines of a Western power would spring up and immediately take charge. They were so blinkered by their own "rah-rah USA #1 I love Israel,,, apple pie and freedom" rhetoric that they never fathomed the possibility that other countries might not easily adhere to that model.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nckdictator posted:

Oh internet comments

yeah, its sad. I hate BiBi as much as most on D&D, but when i read comments like this, i can kinda of see where his hosed up paranoia comes from.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So I have to ask: would a splintering of Iraq really be such a bad thing? The Kurds are pretty set on establishing a Kurdistan, a major part of which would encompass northern Iraq, while the Shi'ite have aligned themselves with Iran and will be supported by Iran in the conflict between ISIL and the Iraq government. Iraq as a nation is a European construction built out of the necessities of the times, but it's clear that without an authoritarian government the country will continually fall into sectarian violence. The only drawback of a splintered Iraq would be the inevitable border conflicts over the rights to oil reserves.

The splintering of Iraq will be a bloodbath. Partitions have been blood-soaked in the past.

That said, I'm not sure what is going to prevent it right now. A bombing campaign isn't going to do much except make John McCain feel better for a little while. Obama seems to have hinted that he won't do it if Maliki doesn't get his act together too. And that has zero chance of happening. Maliki's just going to run to Iran instead.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Maybe Iran will pull a Crimea on parts of Iraq. :v

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

I saw a guy on there defending the concept of executing converts from Islam by saying that "The West" executes people for treason, don't they?

It's always been that way.

Periodiko posted:

I know this is pretty basic stuff, but it's really strange to me watching mainstream US coverage how they use "terrorist" to describe ISIL. They're very clearly engaging in open warfare for territory, and they have aspirations for creating a state: clearly it would be way more descriptive to call them rebels, militants, or an army. On top of that, there's this obsession with tying them to Al-Qaeda - every commercial break teaser has "meet the group that was considered Too Extreme for Even Al-Qaeda", "meet the guy who fancies himself the next bin Laden."

It seems like a really useful tactic to justify re-invasion of Iraq on the grounds of a renewed Global War on Terror. Like, the reactions that the American public has to "a seperatist force of anti-Shia rebels is establishing an independent, islamic state in Iraq" is very, very different to "the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group ISIL, led by a man who fancies himself the next bin Laden, are forming an enclave in Iraq." And cable news, as far as I've seen, has leaned far more heavily toward the latter interpretation than the former. The language being used has seemed to me to be specifically chosen to enflame American's fears about international terrorism.

I was just watching CNN (I know) and their usual commentators were all up there nay-saying the idea of intervention, saying the US shouldn't be Maliki's Air Force, etc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

This has already been addressed, but it's something that bears emphasis. Bush and his coterie were idealists. That word tends to carry some semi-positive connotations, but that's not how I mean it. Whatever their ambitions on Iraqi resources or profit, the Bush administration seems to have truly believed that they would roll into Baghdad, topple Saddam in a week, be welcomed as liberators, and a shining new friendly Iraq run along the lines of a Western power would spring up and immediately take charge. They were so blinkered by their own "rah-rah USA #1 I love Israel,,, apple pie and freedom" rhetoric that they never fathomed the possibility that other countries might not easily adhere to that model.

Rumsfeld and the DOD wanted to get in and get out, and didn't care who took power in the aftermath. They just wanted to remove Saddam, secure any WMD's, get out, and let the Iraqi's have the country with no dismantling of the Iraqi Army, etc, and Bush, Rice, and co approved those plans. A few months later, Bush sent Paul Bremer to Iraq and gave him full authority to do whatever he felt was best, essentially undermining the State and Defense departments. Bremer then completely undermined the original plan by initiating debaathification and dismantling the Army. It's a combination of naivety, ignorance, and an appalling level of lack of communication where the withdrawal turned into an occupation without everyone coming together and deciding that's what they wanted it to be. It was a wide variety of policies playing king of the hill with each other, and the result was a completely incoherent strategy. Preaching to the choir, but goddamn Bush was such a bad President.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Forget what I said, these comments are better.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/06/iraq-cleric-issues-call-arms-against-isil-2014613125518278210.html

quote:

My dear Ahmed, all these developments have proven my point regarding Shia Radfis association with Islam, as i have time and again mentioned that you people have nothing to do with Islam or Muslims, so this development has proved my point. You people have always locked horn with Muslims not with Christians or Jews or any other Kafirs so it proves that you people are real hires of yahood-o-Nisara

quote:

idol worshippers..worst than kafir

quote:

shia groupy imitating USA. even them starting to believe they are good guys and muslims are the terrorists.. lol

perhaps soon ad-dajjal will lead them to a deeper hell fire.

quote:

you are the terrorist you are a cancer on the world. i hope you have delivered your daughters and sisters to AYATOLLAH to dis-vergin them as the grand master misguided animal DOG is what you people are DOGS

quote:

LOL
Nice Waziristani education you've got there. Is that what those rabbid dogs in the rat-infested Afghan and Pakistani caves teach you? You do realize that classes on how to insert sticks of dynamite through your cavity does is not a transferable credit in the western country that hosts you, right?

quote:

No wahabi ISIL must be allowed to live..all must be wiped out
iraqi's are comming with strom and lightning to clear all ISIL
All these animals have seen in syria is small but real power is with iraqi shia muslims..
No ISIL must be let to go back to their dens....kill all of them iraqi

quote:

You and your forefather don't know how to pray and beleived allah has foot---idol worshippers

quote:

this is from your garbage..not we belive
sunni are worst than kafir..
wahabis are animals

quote:

The ISIS terrorists from the EU and USA R€GIM€$ will be eliminated.

YES Scotland and no2eu will make The World a better place starting
with Scotland. We shall evict the fascist R€GIM€$ and the western
backed WESTminster R€GIM€ because we are from the NORTH.

Sir Vladimir Putin is the First Sea Lord of Her Majesty the Queen
of Scotland, Elizabeth I of Scotland and Elizabeth II of The rest
of the UK and Commonwealth allied with Russia, China and
our Native American friends and allies from around the world.

We are a mighty and ancient power and it's best not to argue
with us for too long because we're generous and can take it
on the chin for a while but the time comes when Enough
is finally ENOUGH and that time is now. STOP the war.

quote:

yeah eat shiite you filthy judeo xtian filth

quote:

Real Muslims everyone in Iraq - needs to arm and prepare themselves for these terrorist Iranian puppet demons. We have all seen what they have done to cities in the Iran/Iraq War and what they have done to their people. Nothing but terrorist barbarians and 100% kuffar.

quote:

sunni are kafir and need to be wiped away from globe.
where ever they go,they create problem to humanity
they deserve to stay in dens sponsored by saud morons

quote:

Nouri Al Malaki is an American puppet. He is also an Iranian puppet. This says a lot about the relations between America and Iran. Beyond the rhetoric, Americans and Iranians seem to be allies, hell bent on destroying the Muslim world.

Iran had offered support to the US to invade Afghanistan and actually aided the Northern Alliance forces.

Iran is always up to mischief.

quote:

I totally agree with you. Shi'ah everywhere in the world cooperates with US. A very good example is what happened in Afghanistan and Iraq. Now is time for them to reap what they saw.

The Middle East:Now is time for them to reap what they saw.

quote:

u r keeping hatred like shia sect and all. its purely from iblis the teacher of racism who is the real enemy of human beings. dont forget taht
Our enemies are not shia, usa, uk, israel, jews or christian. there is only one clear enemy that is iblis and his team from jinn.

quote:

Some of them are even in the White Hole/House.

quote:

Those Barrel bombs are calling your name - terrorist scumbag. Wasn't Guantanamo bay enough for you to realize that you are a despicable terrorist who should change your ways and turn to Islam?

quote:

No reconciliation til we capture Baghdad, Tehran and Damascus. That's a end of it.

quote:

The world will be a better place when The Yankees just disband
those ridiculous USA and EU R€GIM€$ and hand back that evil
and über ridiculous "declaration of independence" to Her Majesty
The Queen and sincerely apologise for that awful 1773 nonsense.

The stupid "tea party" is over. YES Scotland and no2eu .com
We're saying Enough is ENOUGH. Time up. GAME OVER. UK=OK!

NOUSA.

quote:

Does Allah generally intervene with American manuufactured weapons????

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Middle East is so incredibly hosed

Hey, Bush was a visionary who changed the Middle East forever! :downs:

God, that presidential library exhibit where the only correct choice is to invade Iraq is going to be considered the ultimate example of American hubris by future generations.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
I haven't followed Scottish politics, why are they mentioned in the same frame as people calling each other kafirs and dogs for being iranian/salafi/sunni/shiite etc. and arguing over the Middle East?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I wonder what Mr. Bush thinks about current events in Iraq.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Baloogan posted:

"poo poo really and truly exploded long after I left just as I expected, sucks to be the black guy, good thing I laid out a withdraw plan that wouldn't take even the smallest effect until after I was gone"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Baloogan posted:

:smug:"Mission Accomplished Motherfuckers":smug:

• Locked thread