Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

That's it. Thank you. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

That looks fantastic. Has the good qualities of the Japanese nakeds without being ridiculously cluttered and over-styled and looking like it'll turn into a robot and fly away. Reminds me of the old Tuono, just less awkward.

(don't hurt me aprilia brigade :ohdear:)

You're right, it does look relatively clean and un-insect-like, but it's still much busier than an XB; part of that is the exhaust, but also the little trellis frame under the seat. That's what I love about XBs, how clean and uncluttered they look. I never liked the look of the water cooled Buell swingarms either.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

High Protein posted:

You're right, it does look relatively clean and un-insect-like, but it's still much busier than an XB; part of that is the exhaust, but also the little trellis frame under the seat. That's what I love about XBs, how clean and uncluttered they look. I never liked the look of the water cooled Buell swingarms either.

Ah drat, I forgot how good those old XBs looked.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

tarzanspuma posted:

Ah drat, I forgot how good those old XBs looked.

Looking clean is a ton easier without a cooling system to deal with.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

"I'd like one standardized unit of motorcycle, please. No, no need to make anything about it interesting or exceptional, I'll take the rehash, thanks."

It could really use some monster logos or something, I dunno.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know I keep going on about this but this is the most egregious example of a completely ridiculous bee-sting tail I've ever seen. The rest of the bike looks meaty and heavily-constructed and the tail looks like an afterthought. Totally ruins the looks of the bike.

I'm with you. I had hope that they'd beef up the subframe and saddle a bit to make it more 2-up/throw-over bag friendly but I suppose technically they've come correct with it being a streetfighter.

Needs more ABS.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Full text:

quote:

The sun is out. And you find yourself in your beige cage of a cubicle perusing the world's wide web. You find yourself with an overwhelming desire to be A BADASS. Well, lucky you, guy - knowing is nearly half the battle. This 1980 Vespa Sport 100 smallframe scooter is a KICKASS surefire method to transform a CANDY rear end into a HARD rear end. Its in good shape, runs well if you treat it well, has some cosmetic issues. It doesn't DRAG rear end, it fully and completely HAULS rear end. Its green, and goes by the name Kermit. Re-naming rights are sold with the lil buddy, but only a SMARTASS would consider renaming a 34 year old frog with the charm of a finely aged heavy metal thunder italiano scootmonster of doom. Not no LAME rear end knockoff Chinese ASSTASTIC poopscooter.

Engine:
Its a BIGASS 100cc engine, but the guy I bought it from put a cylinder kit on it, giving it a displacement of something more like a more BIGGER rear end 130cc. I haven't verified that information, but it certainly rides with more power than 100ccs could give it within earth's gravitational field, as verified by independent tests. Boobs. Wheelies are within the realm of possibility, should you find yourself desiring to open a can of WHOOP rear end. Nearly the same virility as a fine italian manliness fellow, but way super much less body hair.

A free tip from my wise wonderful world of wit and wisdom: you can't be a LAZY rear end, you have to be precise with the fuel/oil mixture, and you'd probably have to be willing to do a little trial and error to get the mixture even more perfect - no HALF-ASSing. 2 stroke engines can be like that, welcome to the Milky Way Galaxy of Two Wheeled Bitchin' Things. The mix I've found to give Kermit equilibrium is about 4.5 oz of oil per gallon of gas, or approx 28:1. Too little oil and it will overheat. Too much and it will stall when you give it gas - thus subjecting itself to the definition of a "LARD rear end". If you're not mixing gas, you're not HAULING rear end. Can you handle that? Great. If you can't...well, now I know to whom the flight attendees are giving seatbelt instructions.

On rare occasion, in a certain phase of the moon, it'll be a SMART rear end, and take some effort to start. I've found that this often just requires a spark plug check, and then will start right up. Not sure the BASS ACKWARDS exact mechanics of why - just gotta be a KISS rear end with it, and it gets its feelings in order and cooperates. Italians are not known to be self-starters. I cleaned the carb, tank, and petcock a few weeks ago and its currently a happy frog, starts on the first kick. I also put a new battery in it last summer (if you know what I mean ;) ;). Typical bikes of the era still used 6v systems but this one runs on 12 volts - 100% increasing its ability to be more like a Tesla. Thats good news. Its also had a new SWEET rear end condenser installed in the past 100 miles.

Body:
Original paint is in pretty decent shape. A lower portion was painted over with newer paint before I owned it. There's a number of dings here and some easy minor cleanup so you can effectively brag to your newb friends about restoring it (See paragraph 1: BADASS). The rear view mirror has a crack in it. Overall, it looks good enough to take your 2nd best babe out to Dig The Pony.

Misc:
Couple things don't work, but its pretty old - most people who are pretty old don't work at all - they are retired. Well, this simple machine is far from retired, and there's not a ton of things that can go wrong. You won't have to BUST YOUR rear end. Its a 3 speed shifted on the left handlebar (clutch and gear shift both on the handlebar). Fancy. Espresso time, then pizza. Shifting all the way, mr. Italian (wo(man)). Kick start only - starters are for farters. Quit bein' a PANSY rear end, put on your big girl pants, and kick kick kick away!

Around 3500 miles on the odometer (WAIT WHAT THATS ALL???) HABLAS INGLES?? Yes, 3500 miles on the odometer. Needs new registration, but its a moped-ish creature, so the coppers wont give a RATS rear end (our legal department requires that we not personally disclaim this statement as a representation, warranty, or guarantee. Odds of winning are dependent on the total number of eligible entries received during the entry period. No purchase necessary, not available at all locations).

I've replaced both the headlight and taillight bulb in the last couple years. Horn doesn't work, so you won't have to worry about accidentally honking like a JACKASS, and though it has a switch for turn signals, there's no actual turn signal lights attached. Just use your hands, duh.

What you get besides the bike:
I have extra spark plugs and a throttle cable, a lock from my beard, a list of DUMB rear end palindromes, a hug, a JIVE rear end TURKEY. This and that. My pic gets yours.

This bike is near and dear to me, I've had it for about 5 years now and it was instrumental in misplacing my virginity. The price is $1800 - don't be a BROKE rear end TIGHT rear end...don't let 18 pieces of paper keep you from ruining your summer being a FATASS on the couch - the time to TEAR rear end is at hand. Oregon title in hand. These old Vespas are quirky, and you've got to get to know them to maintain a positive relationship, but they're fun as hell when they're running well.

Quit playing GRAB rear end. Email, text, or call.

FTGE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

High Protein posted:

the water cooled Buell swingarms

He just can't stop putting weird poo poo on his bikes, can he?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Sagebrush posted:

He just can't stop putting weird poo poo on his bikes, can he?

I had to study that picture for a good 10 seconds before it dawned on me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know I keep going on about this but this is the most egregious example of a completely ridiculous bee-sting tail I've ever seen. The rest of the bike looks meaty and heavily-constructed and the tail looks like an afterthought. Totally ruins the looks of the bike.

You are wrong.

Z3n posted:

"I'd like one standardized unit of motorcycle, please. No, no need to make anything about it interesting or exceptional, I'll take the rehash, thanks."

It could really use some monster logos or something, I dunno.

Also wrong.

The exhaust is...not great, admittedly, but find me a competing bike that doesn't have a lovely exhaust, besides the streetfighter. The old XB's looked fantastic when they were new but, unfortunately, don't seem to have been intended for outdoor use and suffer in appearance accordingly.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On my Ulysses, that's called patina.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY

These two should meet and have a baby.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Oldie but goodie. His little arm movements get me every time.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

High Protein posted:

I have actually been looking into getting a hold of a xb12s but they are still holding ridiculous value. I haven't seen a 12s for less then 4 grand in a long time. I may have to bite the bullet though, as the xb12 has long been a dream bike of mine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Here's a pretty horrible crash.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Ducati testing the new scrambler, I was all set to make fun of this thing being hipster bait but then it looks like in the spy shots they're dropping it with a air cooled motor. Not just any motor, it looks a lot like my DS1000 motor which is a bundle of good times, if this thing turns out to be a light weight, aircooled, fun bike I might have to take it serious. However the dumb single rotor brake and suptid handle bars make me think it's still just a marketing gimmick.

Oh I forgot, you should ignore the hilarious whatever that is stuck all over it.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Looks like a tater gun, needs to take that to the paintball course.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Here's a pretty horrible crash.

You monster!!

HNasty posted:

Ducati testing the new scrambler, I was all set to make fun of this thing being hipster bait but then it looks like in the spy shots they're dropping it with a air cooled motor. Not just any motor, it looks a lot like my DS1000 motor which is a bundle of good times, if this thing turns out to be a light weight, aircooled, fun bike I might have to take it serious. However the dumb single rotor brake and suptid handle bars make me think it's still just a marketing gimmick.

Oh I forgot, you should ignore the hilarious whatever that is stuck all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS2IamWpjkE

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

HNasty posted:

So it seems like they're going way overboard to hide what engine is being used. Some weird snorkel for intake and cooling, a ridiculous muffler, and hiding the frame.

Edit: Is the snorkel to hide intake noise, or just if it's air/water cooled?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 13, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HNasty posted:

I don't understand why you have any doubts about it being a marketing gimmick. AFAIK the monster is a light aircooled bike.

MetaJew posted:

So it seems like they're going way overboard to hide what engine is being used. Some weird snorkel for intake and cooling, a ridiculous muffler, and hiding the frame.

It's to make the rider look like as big a dickhead as Ducati's not-insubstantial R&D department can manage, just to see how much retarded styling owners will tolerate before losing their smug. If it pans out they'll use the technology on the next multistrada.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I'm guessing the whole setup is to test or control emissions and possibly fuelling during actual use rather than on a bench.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
ducati going after the hipster market maybe:

http://scramblerducati.com/

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Never mind I'm sure it will be great

tbb9 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 13, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Slavvy posted:

I don't understand why you have any doubts about it being a marketing gimmick. AFAIK the monster is a light aircooled bike.

Monsters are no longer air cooled. I said despite the motor I think it's still a marketing gimmick, I wasn't confused about anything.

Slavvy posted:

It's to make the rider look like as big a dickhead as Ducati's not-insubstantial R&D department can manage, just to see how much retarded styling owners will tolerate before losing their smug. If it pans out they'll use the technology on the next multistrada.

Front thing is probably for measuring airflow etc, the thing in the drum is probably exhaust gas analyzer.

HNasty fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 13, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skreemer posted:

ducati going after the hipster market maybe:

http://scramblerducati.com/

The ironic web developer segment in particular?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 13, 2014

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WinhypBJhU

Me IRL

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"I need a lighter bike, this R6 is far too heavy for me to hold up with my scrawny legs"

Also, that video should make Razzled feel better, that guy didn't even make anywhere close to a mailbox.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Elviscat posted:

"I need a lighter bike, this R6 is far too heavy for me to hold up with my scrawny legs"

Also, that video should make Razzled feel better, that guy didn't even make anywhere close to a mailbox.

That's basically what happened to me the first time I tried to ride my bike. It's hard to hold a bike up when you aren't used to it and can barely touch the ground. I did it with an old sv650 with frame sliders though and not a brand new R6. R6 has a seat height of 33.5 inches, my friend has one and was trying to get me to ride it around the block and it feels like I'm going to fall over as soon as I try to put a foot down to stop.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

That's basically what happened to me the first time I tried to ride my bike. It's hard to hold a bike up when you aren't used to it and can barely touch the ground. I did it with an old sv650 with frame sliders though and not a brand new R6. R6 has a seat height of 33.5 inches, my friend has one and was trying to get me to ride it around the block and it feels like I'm going to fall over as soon as I try to put a foot down to stop.

Yeah, my ex did the exact same thing the first time she tried to ride my SV-650, I guess I'm just all :smuggo: 'cause I'm 6'4 and can flatfoot anything and everything.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Classic. The foot doesn't know what the hand is doing, the hand is just testing the waters, the torso is just along for the ride.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

I'm just all :smuggo: 'cause I'm 6'4 and can flatfoot anything and everything.

:smuggo::hf::smuggo:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, but kitchen counters are forever too short for you. :colbert:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

M42 posted:

Yeah, but kitchen counters are forever too short for you. :colbert:

I had this problem at my old house, my (already bad) back would ache horribly from chopping peppers/onions etc, when I'd prepare a fancy meal.

So I got a large stool, and got to sit while I was chopping away :slick:

Of course every profession I've had so far in life has included low ceilings/obstructions, so I'm sure I have a variety of interesting scars criss-crossing my scalp that I wouldn't have if I were average-sized :(

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Hows the weather up there?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Oh, it's not the kitchen counter--public enemy number one is the kitchen chandelier... every day it brings me one step closer to the coma ward

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh, it's not the kitchen counter--public enemy number one is the kitchen chandelier... every day it brings me one step closer to the coma ward

do you live in with your grandparents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Being tall really isn't that great on a bike cause it's designed for someone like 5 inches shorter than me and I only put my foot on the ground a few minutes a ride.