Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Can we agree that Kafka is the only one allowed to create Canada threads in the future?
I'm used to reading good content in Original Poster yellow. It's quite jarring when I venture here and see Cultural Imperial work himself up over how amazing it would be to watch the country burn in righteous flames, and that anyone not working in Europe or San Francisco is an idiot failure poo face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
It's pretty ironic to denounce racism using nationalist rhetoric. Anything else to say about the international jew opportunistic Chinese?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

I actually find it genuinely loving racist that middle class (and lower) Canadians think that they're so superior to the Chinese that they should Step Aside and Allow the Lesser Chinese to Achieve Glory in Canadian culture. They are outrageously more wealthy than any of you could ever hope to be -- they are not oppressed. They are the furthest thing from oppressed. Just because they have a different skin color and are from a different country does not mean that they're oppressed. They have far more mobility, far more social and economic power in Canada than any of us could hope to have. It is seriously, breathtakingly racist and paternalistic to assume that simply because They're Chinese that they're worse off than someone barely pulling in $35k a year.

We have a distinct economic group arguing against indisputably positive things for Canadian culture because it might have a negative impact on their Investments in Canadian cities and property. That group has very little investment and stake in Canadian culture and prosperity - they are opportunistically mobile. If not for Canada being geographically proximate and economically suitable they would have zero interest in this country. It is the furthest thing from racist to be concerned about this situation.

Whether they be wealthy Chinese, Americans, or Canadians the problem with condo overvaluation and the fixation on ~Property Values~ is becoming a huge problem for Canadians and the economy and absolutely deserves full and thorough scrutiny. I think it is doubly a problem when it's being fed into by foreigners who have comparatively little stake in the future of the Canadian economy. They can go somewhere else, after all - they have the money and connections to do so. What can Canadians do in the face of oncoming economic recession/depression?

I don't know who you think actually thinks like this but lol, I'm 100% positive they're not from vancouver.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Math You posted:

Can we agree that Kafka is the only one allowed to create Canada threads in the future?
I'm used to reading good content in Original Poster yellow. It's quite jarring when I venture here and see Cultural Imperial work himself up over how amazing it would be to watch the country burn in righteous flames, and that anyone not working in Europe or San Francisco is an idiot failure poo face.

Then get out of the internet and go find yourself with your canada flag backpack, shithead.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Does anybody else remember when this thread was about houses AND stupid people, instead of just the latter?

Boy those were the days

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
An off-the-boat Chinese guy works in my office. One day I was talking to him about how I was moving, and where, just as chit-chat.

He said, "Oh yea, that's not a bad spot. Not many black people, right?".

I needed stitches after my jaw hit the floor so fast.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Math You posted:

No!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
So are Vancouverites hating on the Chinese this much a normal thing? :psyduck: Makes me glad my family went to Toronto instead after escaping the war.

What proportion of mortgages/value of mortgages would be affected by a 10% drop in house prices, such that people will need to pay a lump sum of >$25,000 to get back to an insurable LTV ratio? I'm trying to figure out how many people/how many mortgages would be in risk of immediate defaulting if they had the bad luck to refinance right after a relatively minor crash, but I'm not sure where to find that kind of data.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Decoy Badger posted:

So are Vancouverites hating on the Chinese this much a normal thing? :psyduck: Makes me glad my family went to Toronto instead after escaping the war.

It sounds like a stereotypical Hong Kong attitude to be honest.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Baronjutter posted:

I'm all for taking care of our citizens but gently caress their investments. As long as they remained housed I'm ok. I'd rather the banks get hosed than the people though. Nationalize any bank "too big to fail" which in turn means the government owns those mortgages and now gently caress you, the government owns your house but it will rent it to you at a fair rate. Turn it into the biggest social housing creation scheme ever.

Nationalized banking is literally the worst idea. Who backstops personal deposits when it's the government that's holding them? How does the government have the knowledge or capability to run a bank effectively?

Do you think politicians, whose key qualification is generally that they're more interested in wielding the strings of power more than the next guy, will be responsible with hundreds of billions of dollars?

:cripes:

blah_blah posted:

Hasn't Cultural Imperial referred to Chinese as 'coolies' in this thread?

He did. Oddly enough, the only other person I've heard use the term openly was also Chinese, and is otherwise anything but racist, so perhaps it doesn't carry the same connotation in Chinese culture that it does here and elsewhere. Doesn't excuse it or change my initial response when he first said it.

Decoy Badger posted:

What proportion of mortgages/value of mortgages would be affected by a 10% drop in house prices, such that people will need to pay a lump sum of >$25,000 to get back to an insurable LTV ratio? I'm trying to figure out how many people/how many mortgages would be in risk of immediate defaulting if they had the bad luck to refinance right after a relatively minor crash, but I'm not sure where to find that kind of data.

A) no. Vancouver is not uniformly filled with racist shitbags any more than it is filled uniformly with any other kind of shitbag, fortunately.

B) CMHC releases statistics on the composition of the mortgage market. I quoted one of their reports earlier in the thread; from memory about 9% of current mortgages are greater than 90% LTV.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Do you think politicians, whose key qualification is generally that they're more interested in wielding the strings of power more than the next guy, will be responsible with hundreds of billions of dollars?

We already trust them with the national budget and economy.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

We already trust them with the national budget and economy.

Exactly :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nationalized banking is literally the worst idea. Who backstops personal deposits when it's the government that's holding them? How does the government have the knowledge or capability to run a bank effectively?

Your right best we leave the real power to people that are accountable to no one rather than those shifty elected politicians. As we all know it's impossible to consult and appoint experts.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rutibex posted:

Your right best we leave the real power to people that are accountable to no one rather than those shifty elected politicians. As we all know it's impossible to consult and appoint experts.

I know what you're getting at, but this is, of course, the same logic that dictates how the Supreme Court works. There is some value - you can debate how much - in isolating some things from Parliament.

edit: put banks directly as a part of the government, and you'd very quickly have baby boomers voting themselves prime loans for cottages and other such things.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 15, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rutibex posted:

With geniuses such as Benjamin Tal, Robert Kavcic, Doug Porter, Sherry Cooper as incumbents, where are you going to find more technocrats with enough Guanxi to fix this mess? :confused:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Kalenn Istarion posted:

B) CMHC releases statistics on the composition of the mortgage market. I quoted one of their reports earlier in the thread; from memory about 9% of current mortgages are greater than 90% LTV.

Do they specify how they calculate the "V" part of the equation? Also, it would be great if they could produce Income to Loan figures.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Rutibex posted:

This is the thread where we complain about how CMHC has institutionalized housing liability right? So institutionalizing all business and personal debt is better than this because advisors.

Where did you learn how to talk out of both sides of your mouth? That's quite a trick.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

on the left posted:

Do they specify how they calculate the "V" part of the equation? Also, it would be great if they could produce Income to Loan figures.

V is appraised value usually, which means it's in reference to current or expected resale value.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
Has no one in this thread ever heard of the things that are "Crown Corporations" with the government holding a majority share and generally run "at arms length" from elected politicians?

It seems they work so well that this country is packed to the gunnels with them and they work so seamlessly that the fact we're a hairs breadth away from actual democratic communism just slips by.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This is the thread where we complain about how CMHC has institutionalized housing liability right? So institutionalizing all business and personal debt is better than this because advisors.

Where did you learn how to talk out of both sides of your mouth? That's quite a trick.

Comments like that one seem to be made out of a heartfelt wish for how government should be - rather than taking into account the actual greed, incompetence, and capture that inevitably always occurs.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't believe we're talking about nationalizing the banks.

Why don't we cut to the chase and revert back to the gold standard?

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Lexicon posted:

Comments like that one seem to be made out of a heartfelt wish for how government should be - rather than taking into account the actual greed, incompetence, and capture that inevitably always occurs.

"Greed, incompetence, and capture" seems to describe capitalism in general, rather than crown corporations specifically. HTH :ussr:

V V V - Yes, this is why we have elections, a constitution and a judiciary.

ductonius fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 15, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ductonius posted:

"Greed, incompetence, and capture" seems to describe capitalism in general, rather than crown corporations specifically. HTH :ussr:

I was referring to the government, and parliamentarians in particular.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lexicon posted:

Basically yeah.

I'd rather see the banks nationalized than bailed out for being "too big to fail". The public is going to be paying for this when the poo poo bubble pops ether way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Basically yeah.

I'd rather see the banks nationalized than bailed out for being "too big to fail". The public is going to be paying for this when the poo poo bubble pops ether way.

In the USA there was some talk of nationalizing the failed banks from the obama administration during the worst part of the recession but the Treasury department instead recommended going the bailout path.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

Brannock posted:

I actually find it genuinely loving racist that middle class (and lower) Canadians think that they're so superior to the Chinese that they should Step Aside and Allow the Lesser Chinese to Achieve Glory in Canadian culture. They are outrageously more wealthy than any of you could ever hope to be -- they are not oppressed. They are the furthest thing from oppressed. Just because they have a different skin color and are from a different country does not mean that they're oppressed. They have far more mobility, far more social and economic power in Canada than any of us could hope to have. It is seriously, breathtakingly racist and paternalistic to assume that simply because They're Chinese that they're worse off than someone barely pulling in $35k a year.

We have a distinct economic group arguing against indisputably positive things for Canadian culture because it might have a negative impact on their Investments in Canadian cities and property. That group has very little investment and stake in Canadian culture and prosperity - they are opportunistically mobile. If not for Canada being geographically proximate and economically suitable they would have zero interest in this country. It is the furthest thing from racist to be concerned about this situation.

Whether they be wealthy Chinese, Americans, or Canadians the problem with condo overvaluation and the fixation on ~Property Values~ is becoming a huge problem for Canadians and the economy and absolutely deserves full and thorough scrutiny. I think it is doubly a problem when it's being fed into by foreigners who have comparatively little stake in the future of the Canadian economy. They can go somewhere else, after all - they have the money and connections to do so. What can Canadians do in the face of oncoming economic recession/depression?

It's like we need a final solution everlasting answer to this problem.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Decoy Badger posted:

Vancouver has a huge Chinese community and for the most part I think Chinese face a very small amount of racism/discrimination in Vancouver, compared to other races. There definitely has been more recent resentment towards mainland Chinese 'investors', but that's not just from whites, it's also from the earlier generation of Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

Vancouver has a huge Chinese community and for the most part I think Chinese face a very small amount of racism/discrimination in Vancouver, compared to other races. There definitely has been more recent resentment towards mainland Chinese 'investors', but that's not just from whites, it's also from the earlier generation of Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong.

Have you ever heard a wasp with school aged children in Vancouver talk about the public school system? That's some loving 1960s era southern us integration poo poo right there. You'd think that it was tantamount to child abuse to subject their children to a school system where the majority of mother tongues aren't english.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vaginapocalypse posted:

It's like we need a final solution everlasting answer to this problem.

on the left posted:

It's pretty ironic to denounce racism using nationalist rhetoric. Anything else to say about the international jew opportunistic Chinese?

Go ahead, keep on watering down the impact of insinuating that someone's a Nazi. When you come across actual racists and nationalists I hope your words still get people's attention rather than indifferent shrugs.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Public workers generally have very little to do with politicians. And, I mean, look at what you're saying: "How does the government have the knowledge or capability to run {power plants / television broadcasting / transportation infrastructure} effectively?" What makes banks any different? Is it the loss of a profit motive, or what? Credit unions seem to work just fine.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

As opposed to banking executives, who are entirely uninterested in wealth, power, or being irresponsible with other people's money?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Brannock posted:

Go ahead, keep on watering down the impact of insinuating that someone's a Nazi. When you come across actual racists and nationalists I hope your words still get people's attention rather than indifferent shrugs.

Public workers generally have very little to do with politicians. And, I mean, look at what you're saying: "How does the government have the knowledge or capability to run {power plants / television broadcasting / transportation infrastructure} effectively?" What makes banks any different? Is it the loss of a profit motive, or what? Credit unions seem to work just fine.

All of those things you mentioned are / have been run better in private hands.

The CBC meets its social objectives but runs at a significant loss; most government ports are bureaucratic messes that are only profitable by virtue of favourable siting via eminent domain, the TTC is a literal joke. The London (UK) tube is a wonder but I have no idea if it makes money. The HK subway otoh is a marvel of efficiency and is run for profit as well as being significantly cheaper for users than the TTC or skytrain. Japan's train system is also private afaik and is a marvel to travel on.

The nuke plants were hilariously badly managed by the government resulting in operating problems and plants needing refurb well before their planned lifetimes. They continue to be horrible money pits that again are only profitable by virtue of favourable industry structure. Counterpoint is the TEPCO issues in Japan with hidden / missed maintenance.

Credit unions aren't run by the government, or do you just mean the removal of the profit motive? I mean, I guess a CU is ok if you like paying more for worse service just to be able to say you don't give your money to an evil corporation or something, but they also are t immune to poor management. I say this with a family member who is the CFO for a large regional credit union providing colour on service and pricing levels versus the national banks. He's constantly lamenting how they lose members because they can't even get close, even without the need to make a profit. There was a discussion earlier in this thread about the two main Vancouver-based credit unions being poo poo.

To be fair, there are counter-examples: Farm Credit Corp does well at what it does (subsidized lending to support agriculture), the LCBO makes a massive profit for the Ontario government (monopolies are great!), and CMHC is relatively well capitalized as insurance companies go, but the former and latter again have the issue of institutionalizing systemic risk (agricultural land ownership and residential housing).

On balance it's hard to find examples of businesses that have been run better in government hands. It's also telling that the largest government bureaucracy in the world looked at nationalizing banks in the wake of 2008, when it arguably would have had more political / popular support than any time in its history, and decided it was a bad idea relative to other policy options.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Canada Post v Fed Ex, Purolator, UPS Battle II

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nationalized banks are just like any other sort of bank: they work well when run well, and badly when run badly. Public ownership doesn't have to mean politicians controlling every aspect of the bank's operation, any more than private ownership has to mean an individual autocratic CEO micromanaging the poo poo out of everything. The German development bank KfW is completely nationalized but is generally considered to be extremely well run and effective.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Our Fascist Socialist Communist Healthcare is pretty good.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Professor Shark posted:

Our Fascist Socialist Communist Healthcare is pretty good.

But just think how much better it could be in the great invisible hand of the GLORIOUS FREE MARKET!!!*

*for examples look to the south and try not to think of what being poor would be like.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

On balance it's hard to find examples of businesses that have been run better in government hands. It's also telling that the largest government bureaucracy in the world looked at nationalizing banks in the wake of 2008, when it arguably would have had more political / popular support than any time in its history, and decided it was a bad idea relative to other policy options.

I'm pretty sure China has the biggest government bureaucracy in the world not the USA.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Man, this thread sure has taken a turn for the terrible in the last few pages.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Most government ports are bureaucratic messes that are only profitable by virtue of favourable siting via eminent domain, the TTC is a literal joke. The London (UK) tube is a wonder but I have no idea if it makes money. The HK subway otoh is a marvel of efficiency and is run for profit as well as being significantly cheaper for users than the TTC or skytrain. Japan's train system is also private afaik and is a marvel to travel on.

Why can't the TTC be more like like Hong Kong transit? asks a moron who didn't bother to look up that Hong Kong's population density is 1.5x higher if you include the entire area of the territory (most of which is uninhabited mountains) while its urban population density is 10x higher.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Comrades, some real estate news.

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/478538405505019904

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was talking with the inlaws about buying a house last night. They told us about how, instead of buying a $70,000 house like their parents suggested, they splurged and got a $120,000 3-bedroom.

I can't even imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2674494

quote:

The average resale price of a Canadian home continued to march higher, with the national real estate association showing it hit $416,584 in May, a rise of 7.1 per cent compared to the same month a year earlier.

The Canadian Real Estate Association said sales activity in Toronto and Vancouver continue to skew the average price higher. If those two cities are stripped out, the average Canadian home is worth $336,373 while the year-over-year increase shrinks to 5.3 per cent.

​MAP: House prices across Canada

Beyond prices, there are signs that the real estate market is red hot in terms of the number of homes being sold.

The volume of sales rose by 5.9 per cent from April to May, the biggest monthly jump in almost four years — although spring is traditionally the strongest time of the year for home sales.

Home sales were higher in 80 per cent of all local markets in Canada, CREA said, but especially so in Calgary, the Greater Toronto Area and Montreal.

Hot markets

"Over the past 25 years, that widespread a monthly sales increase has been recorded only a handful of times," CREA president Beth Crosbie said in a release.

On an annual basis, however, the sales boom is much less evenly balanced. "While the rebound in sales in May was widespread across Canada, looking at year-on-year trends shows a marked divergence between East and West," TD Bank economist Leslier Preston said of the numbers. "Sales are up from B.C. to Ontario, while from Quebec to Atlantic Canada, sales are below their year-ago levels."

With such strong monthly data, it's no surprise that CREA upped its forecast for how many homes it expects to be sold this year.

The realtor agency now expects 463,400 homes to change hands this year, an increase of 1.2 per cent compared with 2013. 

Canadian home sales hit an all-time high of more than 520,000 in 2007. They have remained in a range of either just above 450,000 or just below that level every year since then.