Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Usually upgrading your weapon instead of your armor makes fights be over a lot quicker and thus saves you way more health/headaches. Vitality is great, but lots of endurance and a decent stability shield with 100% physical resistance is at least as useful.

Jose posted:

I'm being a dick here but I can't believe you're struggling with the gaping demon even cursed. He's the easeiest boss in both Dark Souls games I've found. Just stand back wait for him to run into a wall then run in and hit him a couple of times then stand back.
Gaping Dragon teaches you that most bosses are rather simple-minded wind-up toys and how baiting them into a specific attack by standing at a certain angle/distance can make your life a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Usually yes, but if he's dying in one hit it's a different story. Not saying he should spend titanite on it, but he could upgrade by picking up a better set.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

lol look at this father's day card art my daughter just did for me

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 15, 2014

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'm gonna continue the legacy of players new to Dark Souls posting on the internet by saying "hell yeah, I beat the son of a bitch" mere hours after raging about how impossible it was on the internet. Beat Gaping Dragon, got his axe, levelled up a few times and cured my Curse. Debating whether to head to Blighttown, try killing the big laser demon next to the blacksmith and get to the area past there or to try New Londo again. Now that I'm not Cursed, I don't really want to do it again in order to make New Londo easier. I accidentally killed Oswald so it's 6k souls to cure it.

For Gaping, I took advice and chopped his tail off ASAP and tried rolling instead of running to make distance. It worked a lot better and with judicious use of ensuring he only used body slam and charge, it actually wasn't too hard this time - apart from the fact I was so tense my hands were shaking. He didn't even use his vomit attack. I also found hitting his head a couple times after he body slams did a ton more damage and really helped bring him down quicker.

I found the shortcuts that people mentioned which, yeah, holy poo poo, make the area so much easier to traverse.

For the guy who was asking, the guy who invaded me was called Keith or Kevin or something. Why, do you camp that area or something?

Also geartalk, just for input as to whether I'm being dumb:
Balder's Armor +2
Boar Helmet
Brigand Gloves
Balder Leggings +1
Balder Shield +2

At the moment I'm favouring my Gargoyle Tail Axe +6 but I used to get a lot of mileage out of my Halberd, and I do have a Claymore and a Bastard Sword. I now have the Gaping Dragon Tail Axe as well. I have a few spare pieces of Titanite and I'm wondering where to spend them or if there are any weapons to avoid or any that are must-have.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Boar Helm is fun and should always stay on your person (don't actually do this).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Doodmons posted:

For the guy who was asking, the guy who invaded me was called Keith or Kevin or something. Why, do you camp that area or something?
There is an NPC invader called Kirk in that area.

To cure the curses there is also a guy in New Londo, who sells cheap curse cures. But I wouldn't go back there yet.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Doodmons posted:

I accidentally killed Oswald so it's 6k souls to cure it.

How

How does this keep happening to people.

On the other hand...

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I just extincted the second section of Amana for twinkling and maxed Pate's spear and I would really, really like a mulligan on that.

e: goddammit

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 15, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

How do people keep posting in the wrong thread?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I just extincted the second section of Amana for twinkling and maxed Pate's spear and I would really, really like a mulligan on that.
A: You eat flesh, which makes you undead, so you can summon scumbag snakes.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

HenryEx posted:

How

How does this keep happening to people.

On the other hand...

My brain keeps trying to left click on the "received item" box to make it go away. Turns out that's attack. I killed the Undead Burg Merchant the same way...

I've been through the Firelink graveyard and found the Zweihander, it wasn't too hard even though those giant skeletons made me poo poo myself. I kept thinking the skeletons would reassemble themselves. Then I found the Catacombs and they DO reassemble themselves and there are exploding laser skulls. I'll leave that till later. Killed the big demon next to the blacksmith and got to the Darkroot Garden. Died a couple of times to the big sword and shield guy at the entrance to the Darkroot Basin, found the Valley of the Drakes and went gently caress that upon seeing lightning breath that I don't have much resist for. Went into the Basin proper and immediately retreated upon seeing the LASER KRAKEN or whatever the gently caress that thing is. Maybe I'll go to Blighttown...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh god you're playing with a mouse

Now it makes sense that you had problems with the Gaping Dragon.

Catacombs is a good place to be right now, actually, as soon as you learn not to get caught up in reassembling skeletons and rush past them to kill the dudes who reassemble them. The dudes stay dead and then so do the skeletons. :ssh:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Doodmons posted:

My brain keeps trying to left click on the "received item" box to make it go away. Turns out that's attack. I killed the Undead Burg Merchant the same way...

I've been through the Firelink graveyard and found the Zweihander, it wasn't too hard even though those giant skeletons made me poo poo myself. I kept thinking the skeletons would reassemble themselves. Then I found the Catacombs and they DO reassemble themselves and there are exploding laser skulls. I'll leave that till later. Killed the big demon next to the blacksmith and got to the Darkroot Garden. Died a couple of times to the big sword and shield guy at the entrance to the Darkroot Basin, found the Valley of the Drakes and went gently caress that upon seeing lightning breath that I don't have much resist for. Went into the Basin proper and immediately retreated upon seeing the LASER KRAKEN or whatever the gently caress that thing is. Maybe I'll go to Blighttown...
If you went like that, you missed the easiest boss in the game. Who also gives you something that makes the catacombs a lot easier.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Q-sixtysix posted:

That's the best thing.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I also got this from the latest sale and have really liked it, to the point of starting to pace myself so I won't rush the experience. I've done some friendly invasions - invade someone's world, drop some humanity and a glowing stone to mark where it is, get their attention and lead them to the goodie. I've been killed a couple of times by paranoid people (I don't blame them) but mostly my gift recipients have been thankful. One player backstabbed me when I was dropping the gift and picked it up after I rolled away. Just as I waved at them and used the separation crystal they turned around and bowed. I even got a friend request! :3:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just killed Kalameet, what a great boss. I'm still shaking a little, it was intense. It took five tries if I include my trial run where I just dodged around to see what he could do and I had a heartbreaker on my fourth attempt because had he not dodged two hits early on I'd have taken him out. Also took out Manus, though he took a few more tries because I spent a few deaths trying to find Sif's summon sign. It ended up being totally worth it because my Moonlight Greatsword broke near the end and when I went to swap it out with my Zweihander Sif actually killed him. It was pretty funny. All in all the DLC was fantastic, up there with the best stuff in the whole series and I'm really glad I went back to it after passing it by on PS3.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I accidentally got myself caught in the Painted World (didn't know this area was a thing until too late). How do I get out? I'm feeling a bit underpowered for the area... (wayward bone or however it's called just sent me back to the beginning of the level)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

double nine posted:

So I accidentally got myself caught in the Painted World (didn't know this area was a thing until too late). How do I get out? I'm feeling a bit underpowered for the area... (wayward bone or however it's called just sent me back to the beginning of the level)

The only way out is through the area's exit. You don't need to fight the boss of the area though!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

poo poo I upgraded my gargoyle halberd to lightning +3 and now I can't use magic weapon on it. I was going to grind out 3 more levels to cast great magic weapon on it.

The damage indicator doesn't seem to be that great for lightning halberd, does the lightning have damage effect that isn't seen on the enemies healthbar or shown when you strike?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

KoRMaK posted:

poo poo I upgraded my gargoyle halberd to lightning +3 and now I can't use magic weapon on it. I was going to grind out 3 more levels to cast great magic weapon on it.

The damage indicator doesn't seem to be that great for lightning halberd, does the lightning have damage effect that isn't seen on the enemies healthbar or shown when you strike?
Lightning damage is added damage and is good against most enemies in the game. When you upgrade something to Lightning, Fire, Divine, or Crystal, you can't use buffs or resins on them. IIRC if your Halberd has 255 normal damage, the lightning damage should be 255 as well - so . The thing with Lightning is that it doesn't scale, same thing with Fire, but gives more direct damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The lightning damage is factored in at the same time as the physical and is shown on the enemy healthbar when you hit them. The thing is, when you split your damage you're hitting two different resistances so you do less damage. Not every weapon is good for lightning/fire.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm in anor so everything has good lightning protection. I shouldn't have done this. I might recycle it back to +10 and use magic weapon on it since I think it was working better before the upgrade to lightning.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Manatee Cannon posted:

I just killed Kalameet, what a great boss. I'm still shaking a little, it was intense. It took five tries if I include my trial run where I just dodged around to see what he could do and I had a heartbreaker on my fourth attempt because had he not dodged two hits early on I'd have taken him out. Also took out Manus, though he took a few more tries because I spent a few deaths trying to find Sif's summon sign. It ended up being totally worth it because my Moonlight Greatsword broke near the end and when I went to swap it out with my Zweihander Sif actually killed him. It was pretty funny. All in all the DLC was fantastic, up there with the best stuff in the whole series and I'm really glad I went back to it after passing it by on PS3.

Huh, Sif killed him? I've never seen Sif do any actual damage to Manus, just pull his hate.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

Naw, they are all friendly and you're the monster.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
No idea why, but co-op in this game is always a lot of fun.

Got summoned by someone apparently going through the second part of anor londo for the first time. He dutifully stabbed every single chest we came across :allears:
He got pasted right at the start of the second phase on O&S, though. Not much I could have done about that.

No luck getting summoned for Artorias, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

Huh, Sif killed him? I've never seen Sif do any actual damage to Manus, just pull his hate.

I know, I didn't see him do any damage either. Sif's attacks didn't seem to affect Manus' health bar at all and Manus did not give two shits about Sif 90% of the time so I'd thought that summoning him was a mistake until then. I was too busy going through a menu to swap my weapon out to see how it happened, but unless Manus committed suicide in some way Sif totally killed him.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 17, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh yeah thats a little known secret, if you let him get the killing blow on manus Sif gets the soul reward from the boss and you can totally avoid killing him in the future

:negative:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
After nearly 200 hours of game time, I've just now seen my second vagrant ever.
I really wish these were somewhat more common because its kind of surreal when they show up.

I didn't even know that there were ones that attacked you. This one shot tiny little pursuers style projectiles at me (those white streaks in the picture).

Actually, I saw the first one really early on, when I didn't know much about the game. For a while later, I thought I might have just made the thing up or imagined it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

animatorZed posted:

After nearly 200 hours of game time, I've just now seen my second vagrant ever.
I really wish these were somewhat more common because its kind of surreal when they show up.

I didn't even know that there were ones that attacked you. This one shot tiny little pursuers style projectiles at me (those white streaks in the picture).

Actually, I saw the first one really early on, when I didn't know much about the game. For a while later, I thought I might have just made the thing up or imagined it.

How do you trigger those? I've never seen one. Also, I thought those miracle circles I see every now and then was due to me screwing up installing DSFix.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Someone has to lose a ton of humanity or drop certain items for a vagrant to show up. As such, they've very rare.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Manatee Cannon posted:

Someone has to lose a ton of humanity or drop certain items for a vagrant to show up. As such, they've very rare.

Speaking of which, someone else might be seeing one in Duke's Archives right now! :downs:

Regarding the miracle circles, I seriously thought they were weird graphical glitches for the longest time.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Sorry for the double post, but the game just pulled this on me during an SL1 run:

Well played Dark Souls, well played.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

animatorZed posted:

Sorry for the double post, but the game just pulled this on me during an SL1 run:

Had the exact thing happen to me on my first plathrough. Fellow goon Davoren was my phantom pointman and he ran into it.
I lost my poo poo when he yelled "What the gently caress is this?! Giant enemy crabs!"

It was the first time we both saw a vagrant.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

animatorZed posted:

I finally saw one in the Painted World! Unfortunately it disappeared before I could take a swing at it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Q-sixtysix posted:

This did not get enough praise.
If I ever have a daughter, I want her to be as cool as this.

Because gently caress me, I can't draw that in a million years.

Action Tortoise posted:

How do you trigger those? I've never seen one. Also, I thought those miracle circles I see every now and then was due to me screwing up installing DSFix.

This is from top of my head, so please excuse me if I am wrong.
There are three kinds of vagrants. A black, a white and a red one. All of them spawn in random other players worlds when the following happens:

One if caused from someone dropping a large amount of humanity and not picking it up, the other with souls.

The last one is caused by drops items. But only after the item switched around for a few worlds and noone picking it up - yes, dropping items will wander around.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 21, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Michaellaneous posted:

This did not get enough praise.
If I ever have a daughter, I want her to be as cool as this.

Because gently caress me, I can't draw that in a million years.

This is from top of my head, so please excuse me if I am wrong.
There are three kinds of vagrants. A black, a white and a red one. All of them spawn in random other players worlds when the following happens:

One if caused from someone dropping a large amount of humanity and not picking it up, the other with souls.

The last one is caused by drops items. But only after the item switched around for a few worlds and noone picking it up - yes, dropping items will wander around.
There are only two types of vagrants, "good" and "evil" ones, along with their Black Phantom forms. The good ones are more spherical and run away from you, while the evil ones are more aggressive. Evil Vagrants seem to spawn when a large amount of soft humanity is lost through a bloodstain. Their so far confirmed drops are Humanity (normal evil vagrant) and twin humanites (BP evil vagrant), while Good Vagrants spawn from items lost.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

neetengie posted:

There are only two types of vagrants, "good" and "evil" ones, along with their Black Phantom forms. The good ones are more spherical and run away from you, while the evil ones are more aggressive. Evil Vagrants seem to spawn when a large amount of soft humanity is lost through a bloodstain. Their so far confirmed drops are Humanity (normal evil vagrant) and twin humanites (BP evil vagrant), while Good Vagrants spawn from items lost.

Ah yeah, you're right. I do always forget that.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/vagrant

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

After going all the way to Anor Londo, I decided to go back and hit the areas I missed. I just passed the Catacombs and an entering the tomb of the giants. The loving guy kicked me into the hole.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does using a divine weapon permanently kill the skeletons during the Gravelord Nito fight? I used one this time and they did stay dead eventually but seemed to come back to life, unless they spawn a few times. Got it first time mostly because I'd kindled the first bonfire in Tomb of the Giants twice so had 13 estus during the fight. A fully upgraded pyromancy flame does stupid damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

After going all the way to Anor Londo, I decided to go back and hit the areas I missed. I just passed the Catacombs and an entering the tomb of the giants. The loving guy kicked me into the hole.

If you've not finished Anor Londo just turn around right now because you cannot complete the Tomb of Giants until you do. Same with New Londo and Lost Izalith.

• Locked thread