Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pyrrho posted:

"Oh poo poo! Is that a space truck flying in space?! Lets spend the next few days loving about with people from 1937 whilst we get irish holo dick and vag! Why would the caretaker transport amelia earhart into the delta quadrant? who the gently caress cares! This is voyager! RESET THAT poo poo AND KEEP ON TRUCKING!"

They found the space truck long before they came up with the Fair Haven simulation. Also the caretaker didn't transport Earhart into the Delta Quadrant, it was a different race that visited Earth and abducted humans. GET IT RIGHT FUCKER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They found the space truck long before they came up with the Fair Haven simulation. Also the caretaker didn't transport Earhart into the Delta Quadrant, it was a different race that visited Earth and abducted humans. GET IT RIGHT FUCKER.

oh poo poo, i'm sorry that i got the resets in the wrong order.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Just as long as you give credit to how awesome the amazing cities are.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The cities that are never at any point shown on camera, but their beauty is constantly referenced.

Also here have a youtube comment about space truck:

quote:

Draknfyre2 years ago

The thing that got me in this scene, is after floating in space for 300+ years, even if the fluids didn't boil off due to the lack of pressure, that anything else would have been frozen, and most likely would have ruptured the lines it was in. Bringing this truck in, and starting it right up as soon as you did? Not going to happen. A car can be likely to not start after spending two years on the ground. 300+ years in the freezing, mico-comet infested space? I don't think so.

Also I just found this for the first time, clips of the actress they chose before Kate Mulgrew. I have to say, that chicks voice is annoying to listen to. Her accent is subtle and she says everything with the same monotone. Just think, Voyager could have been even worse!

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 15, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The cities that are never at any point shown on camera, but their beauty is constantly referenced.

Also here have a youtube comment about space truck:

Also I just found this for the first time, clips of the actress they chose before Kate Mulgrew. I have to say, that chicks voice is annoying to listen to. Her accent is subtle and she says everything with the same1 monotone

Yeah everyone who bitches about Mulgrew should be made to watch this.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Almost none of the problems with Voyager are the fault of the actors, and most of the good parts are directly attributable to the quality of the acting, esp. Seven and the Doctor.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I never watched Enterprise so can someone explain to me why the last episode is so hated? I read the plot summary on memory alpha and it doesn't sound bad. Sounds kinda cool actually.

I mean I don't doubt it's bad though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rexim posted:

I never watched Enterprise so can someone explain to me why the last episode is so hated? I read the plot summary on memory alpha and it doesn't sound bad. Sounds kinda cool actually.

They retroactively turn a middling TNG episode into a framing device for the whole show, making it out to be a hologram Fat Riker watches to learn a lesson about space loyalty or w/e.

Borderline "it was all a dream" level poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People hate fat Riker.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

oldpainless posted:

People hate fat Riker.

Also Sirtis forgot how Troi sounds and just kind of freeballed a new accent.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I wasn't only the end of the cancellation Enterprise series but the end of the Braga/Berman era, so B/B wanted to allude to that as well which, of course they did terribly. More than one Enterprise actor was pissed that about that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It was pretty disrespectful to the cast of the show too, the finale turning them into a (crappy) footnote for another, more famous show. That said the previous two-parter was a pretty good finale in its own right and it's perfectly possible to end the show there and ignore that self-indulgent piece of shite B&B tacked on to the end.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was under the impression when watching it that it was just the finale that was a holodeck fantasy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Met posted:

I was under the impression when watching it that it was just the finale that was a holodeck fantasy.

It was. Enterprise was a holodeck fantasy from the SS Destructor of the Mirror Universe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also they kill one of the better characters in the dumbest way possible.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MikeJF posted:

:ssh: He wasn't really dead, his death was faked by Section 31 :ssh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Which is even dumber.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Star Trek Enterprise: Oh wow, that's even dumber

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

why do you guys use proper capitalization and speak seriously about a science fiction show?? this is such a weird relic of gbs past

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Is this a book thing? Kill yourself if it is, please.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
all extencded universes for fictitious entities are poo poo.

no exceptions.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Mondian posted:

Is this a book thing? Kill yourself if it is, please.

Section 31 faked his death so they could surgically alter him and use him to infiltrate the Romulans. After many wacky hijinks, he retires to a peaceful life with his Vulcan waifu.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Rexim posted:

It's not quite as bad as people make out but the sad fact is that the penultimate episode would have been a lovely way to send it off and they totally ruined it with a below-average episode that seems designed to wipe away any emotional investment in the characters.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Apollodorus posted:

Extended universe is a load of bollocks.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

THS posted:

why do you guys use proper capitalization and speak seriously about a science fiction show?? this is such a weird relic of gbs past

Gene Roddenberry would've wanted it that way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

Gene Roddenberry would've wanted it that way.

In this thread we have a more evolved sensibility.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

You got 'better' and 'dumbest' swapped about there.

Trip was annoying from Episode 1, for the first season it was almost his catchphrase to say 'We don't do things like that on Earth' or 'I miss <insert US food stuff here>'.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 17, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Look it was a pretty low bar.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Splicer posted:

It stored their bodies only. Their brain patterns took up the rest of the space station. To me this indicates they use some kind of lossy compression on the non-brain bits.

Jpegs for legs.

jpegleg pete

Subyng
May 4, 2013
into darkness was loving awesome

How could anyone prefer st09 to stid? The second movie at least had enough plot to hold everything together, st09 made no sense from beginning to end

also remember in first contact when the borg sphere was bombing the site of the phoenix but their torpedoes only had the explosive yield of a large firecracker, that was stupid, a single torpedo should have obliterated the entire area

also why don't borg run, or use phasers, or or or

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Borg were one of the best villains invented in any sci-fi.

Too bad they got Voyagered.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What? They're just space zombies.

Subyng posted:

also remember in first contact when the borg sphere was bombing the site of the phoenix but their torpedoes only had the explosive yield of a large firecracker, that was stupid, a single torpedo should have obliterated the entire area

also why don't borg run, or use phasers, or or or

Space zombies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What? They're just space zombies.

Space zombies.

They're more like insects than zombies.

Space hornets.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Nah think about it. They're just zombies except they consciously realize they want to eat brains and make it their goal to eat all the brains, instead of just shambling about hoping some brains wander by. They say things like "Your cultural distinctiveness will be added to our own" but it never is, as far as I can tell they toss out all cultural distinctiveness in order to make you into a zombie.

What never made sense to me is why they ignore you until you're a 'threat'. Like they're too busy to care or something.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Subyng posted:

into darkness was loving awesome

How could anyone prefer st09 to stid? The second movie at least had enough plot to hold everything together, st09 made no sense from beginning to end

Nope because the minimalist plot in ST09 had a lot less to go wrong which is ideal for a fast paced action movie. SIDS had a bigger more complex story that hosed up completely every step of the way, which is way shittier than just not having a lot going on.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nah think about it. They're just zombies except they consciously realize they want to eat brains and make it their goal to eat all the brains, instead of just shambling about hoping some brains wander by. They say things like "Your cultural distinctiveness will be added to our own" but it never is, as far as I can tell they toss out all cultural distinctiveness in order to make you into a zombie.

What never made sense to me is why they ignore you until you're a 'threat'. Like they're too busy to care or something.

Unlike zombies, the Borg have standards. For example, they wouldn't assimilate the Kazon because they were too dumb.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Shouldnt Janeway have just fed Neelix to the Borg? It would sorta be like Picards plan to genocide the collective but a lot easier.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Which new-trek movie is best is about as fruitful as which B4 scene in Nemisis is best. It's all poo poo.

How do the borg even invade planets? Just beam down millions of borg who slowly walk around the planet assimilating billions? Beam everyone up in groups and assimilate them on the cubes?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 17, 2014

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Best of Both Worlds would have us believe they just scoop entire cities out of planets and.... tractor them into space? I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MikeJF posted:

i'm still pissed about what they did to wash too

• Locked thread