Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm still looking for a "open world/base assault" type of game for some friends of mine. We currently play a lot of Arma, and I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that lets us do the following kind of activity:

• multiplayer with private servers, or LAN play, with cooperative gameplay
  • roam around an open world, with randomly generated enemies to fight with, perhaps random goals
  • scope out bases or concentrations of enemies, make a plan, and attack
  • optionally, there's some persistence between play sessions
  • PC only
  • option for private servers or cooperative play only, no pubbies, no versus

I am pretty sure I asked a very similar question before, but I thought I'd meet with some success asking it in a slightly different way. A cooperative version of Mount 'n Blade's single player, but with guns, would be pretty close to perfect, if it exists. (I'm pretty sure that if it did exist, I'd have heard of it by now.)

We might be playing a heavily modded Minecraft, but we have one ADHD holdout who can't play anything that doesn't have guns, and only wants to shoot things. He refers to Minecraft as "gay Legos."

Ok, back to trying to get Arma to do what I want it to.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Boz0r posted:

What are some good 2-4 player split-screen/hot seat games for PC using XBOX controllers? I'm going on a trip with friends and being outside is scary.

LEGO Batman 2, LEGO Marvel, and I think people like LEGO LOTR as well though I haven't played it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Lego games aren't especially challenging, but they're a lot of fun to screw around in with friends.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

doctorfrog posted:

I'm still looking for a "open world/base assault" type of game for some friends of mine. We currently play a lot of Arma, and I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that lets us do the following kind of activity:

• multiplayer with private servers, or LAN play, with cooperative gameplay
  • roam around an open world, with randomly generated enemies to fight with, perhaps random goals
  • scope out bases or concentrations of enemies, make a plan, and attack
  • optionally, there's some persistence between play sessions
  • PC only
  • option for private servers or cooperative play only, no pubbies, no versus

I am pretty sure I asked a very similar question before, but I thought I'd meet with some success asking it in a slightly different way. A cooperative version of Mount 'n Blade's single player, but with guns, would be pretty close to perfect, if it exists. (I'm pretty sure that if it did exist, I'd have heard of it by now.)

We might be playing a heavily modded Minecraft, but we have one ADHD holdout who can't play anything that doesn't have guns, and only wants to shoot things. He refers to Minecraft as "gay Legos."

Ok, back to trying to get Arma to do what I want it to.

You might be able to compromise with 7 Days To Die, which is like Day Z but with minecraft-like base building, gun crafting, and anti-zombie fortifying. It's a bit expensive at the moment due to "Reducing the price over time to match Kickstarter tiers", but it's being very actively and positively developed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The Lego games aren't especially challenging, but they're a lot of fun to screw around in with friends.

Yeah, they're pretty great party/kid games because you can't screw up badly enough to lose any progress; you just end with fewer studs. There are relatively few places where even the least competent 2nd player can hold back progress, if they're amenable to switching characters liberally.

ObRequest: more games like that, outside the Lego universe. I play them with my 6-yo daughter, because games where dying sets you back to a checkpoint are really frustrating for her. What are some others where you never have to retry things? Edit: multiplayer, 360/PS3/PS4.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Boz0r posted:

What are some good 2-4 player split-screen/hot seat games for PC using XBOX controllers? I'm going on a trip with friends and being outside is scary.

Towerfall Ascension is pretty drat fun. It's one-shot kill archery brawls.

Also, Monaco is best with four players and I think you can play with all 4 on one machine.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boz0r posted:

Dungeon Defenders does 4-player splitscreen. Pretty fun, but it takes a while to learn how to work together.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

What's a good dungeon crawler RPG type game these days?

I played a few of those way, way back ages ago. Dungeon Siege, Mordor, Castle of the Winds. I remember they were tedious as hell sometimes but I want to play one again. I want to see what they are like nowadays. Don't ask me why. :shrug:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kenzie posted:

What's a good dungeon crawler RPG type game these days?

It really depends what format you want your crawler to be in. If it's Rogue, then you obviously won't be starved for choice as roguelike is the biggest buzzword in recent memory. If it's more along the lines of Dungeon Master, Legend of Grimrock is leading that realm. If it's more tile-based crawler in the vein of Might&Magic, we now have M&M X. Etc.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Bouchacha posted:

It really depends what format you want your crawler to be in. If it's Rogue, then you obviously won't be starved for choice as roguelike is the biggest buzzword in recent memory. If it's more along the lines of Dungeon Master, Legend of Grimrock is leading that realm. If it's more tile-based crawler in the vein of Might&Magic, we now have M&M X. Etc.

I don't have a clue what I want really. A roguelike would be neat. I think the only roguelike I've ever played before is the Doom one, which I enjoyed.

That Legend of Grimrock game looks pretty sweet. I had never heard of it before now. I don't know anything about Might&Magic either. I am quite tempted to try that Grimrock game since it's only $15 on Steam.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Grimrock is pretty cool, it's real time though and you can dance around enemies to cheat a little. The Might and Magic 6-pack from gog.com is probably the best dollar per hour of gameplay value there is on the market.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kenzie posted:

I don't have a clue what I want really. A roguelike would be neat. I think the only roguelike I've ever played before is the Doom one, which I enjoyed.

That Legend of Grimrock game looks pretty sweet. I had never heard of it before now. I don't know anything about Might&Magic either. I am quite tempted to try that Grimrock game since it's only $15 on Steam.

Wait like a week and Legend of Grimrock will probably be like 5 dollars during the steam sale. Also check GOG.com as they're doing a sale right now with rotating flash sales and either might show up for cheap.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kenzie posted:

Roguelike Thread, go crazy. I recommend either DCSS or ToMe if you want to up the complexity after DoomRL.

I hear that Dungeonman is often favorably compared to Castle of the Winds. Might&Magic series might be your best bet if you want something more along the lines of Mordor, although the Wizardry series also remains the vanguard in that realm. GOG sells both, and probably the best entries are M&M4+5 and Wizardry 8 (some prefer 7). There hasn't been too much new development in that area lately, aside from the Grimrock and M&MX.

If you want something more along D&D rules, the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc) have not been surpassed. Recent commendable entries really just try to ape the classics (I.e. the combat-heavy Knights of the Chalice).

There's a lot out there dude.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Leper Residue posted:

Wait like a week and Legend of Grimrock will probably be like 5 dollars during the steam sale. Also check GOG.com as they're doing a sale right now with rotating flash sales and either might show up for cheap.

Ah! You're right, Grimrock is going for $7.50 on gog right now. The Might and Magic 6-pack is $5. I think I'll grab them because why not.

Bouchacha posted:

Roguelike Thread, go crazy. I recommend either DCSS or ToMe if you want to up the complexity after DoomRL.

I hear that Dungeonman is often favorably compared to Castle of the Winds. Might&Magic series might be your best bet if you want something more along the lines of Mordor, although the Wizardry series also remains the vanguard in that realm. GOG sells both, and probably the best entries are M&M4+5 and Wizardry 8 (some prefer 7). There hasn't been too much new development in that area lately, aside from the Grimrock and M&MX.

If you want something more along D&D rules, the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc) have not been surpassed. Recent commendable entries really just try to ape the classics (I.e. the combat-heavy Knights of the Chalice).

There's a lot out there dude.

I had never played any of those before, thank you for the suggestions. These all look great and are super cheap too. I'd like to try a few of these at some point, just to see what I like.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kenzie posted:

Ah! You're right, Grimrock is going for $7.50 on gog right now. The Might and Magic 6-pack is $5. I think I'll grab them because why not.

I had never played any of those before, thank you for the suggestions. These all look great and are super cheap too. I'd like to try a few of these at some point, just to see what I like.

ToME is free, even, and patch 1.2 just dropped overhauling a bunch of the character classes. I highly recommend it.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

After playing Jamestown for a while I'm looking for some more PC/emulator shmups. I'd like the game to have some sort of permanent upgrade system/unlockables. A large variety of ships would be an ok alternative. I'd like to stay away from games that have other mechanics thrown in such as Ikaruga's polarity switching.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's not RPG like really, but Batsugun Special Version has a permanent leveling mechanic and 3 ships. It is considered a proto-bullet hell, or manic shooter but if you can beat Jamestown you can get through the first loop no problem. It came out for arcade and Sega Saturn. I'd emulate it on MAME over SS.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Evilreaver posted:

You might be able to compromise with 7 Days To Die, which is like Day Z but with minecraft-like base building, gun crafting, and anti-zombie fortifying. It's a bit expensive at the moment due to "Reducing the price over time to match Kickstarter tiers", but it's being very actively and positively developed.

I remember this one, checking it out... $25, you're right, that's entirely too much. I don't fault them for setting a high mark, but it's hard enough to get these skinflints to part with $5 for a game that's out of alpha.

It otherwise looks pretty good, though.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

aw yiss posted:

After playing Jamestown for a while I'm looking for some more PC/emulator shmups. I'd like the game to have some sort of permanent upgrade system/unlockables. A large variety of ships would be an ok alternative. I'd like to stay away from games that have other mechanics thrown in such as Ikaruga's polarity switching.

I guess Mars Matrix's Dreamcast port could count, since not only does it has a (more complicated) experience and level system, but you also have the port's shop, which provides the ability to buy extra continues, the amount of lives per credit, and whatnot. It's unfortunately one of the hardest games of its kind ever, especially if you're not counting second loops.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Any suggestions for games with builder / resource management elements? Some games I've already got that scratch that particular itch to varying degrees are Don't Starve, Factorio, Terraria, or city builders like Anno, Banished, Dwarf Fortress, Tropico, or Gnomoria. That covers a pretty disparate range of games, but the common element I enjoy in all of them is building up resources and resource chains, logistics, unlocking new tiers of technology to build new poo poo, etc. Sadly I'm pretty worn out on all of them.

The only restrictions would be that I'm looking for PC only, and have zero interest in early access games.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

aw yiss posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262260/
Here you go.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And while you're at it grab motherfucking Tyrian off GoG. It's free and JnG wouldn't be here without it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

:derp: When did JnG hit steam? I still have a copy that I burned to a CD 10 years ago. And they are actually releasing updates for it? Dang what a cool developer.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

escalator dropdown posted:

Any suggestions for games with builder / resource management elements? Some games I've already got that scratch that particular itch to varying degrees are Don't Starve, Factorio, Terraria, or city builders like Anno, Banished, Dwarf Fortress, Tropico, or Gnomoria. That covers a pretty disparate range of games, but the common element I enjoy in all of them is building up resources and resource chains, logistics, unlocking new tiers of technology to build new poo poo, etc. Sadly I'm pretty worn out on all of them.

The only restrictions would be that I'm looking for PC only, and have zero interest in early access games.

If you like citybuilder games, try checking out the Impressions Games series on GOG. Caesar, Pharaoh, and Zeus all have you building up cities where inhabitants have a complex set of requirements to grow, like Anno. The spritework holds up pretty well even now.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I've played and enjoyed the hell out of the Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. What other Telltale games are worth a buy? I've heard the Jurassic Park one was lovely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The rest of their catalogue is far more traditional adventure games with a focus on puzzle solving (and usually comedy.)

I can definitely recommend Sam and Max seasons 2 and 3 (season 1 is decent but also a lot rougher) and Tales of Monkey Island.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Been wanting to try out a snowboard/ski game for awhile now on PC, I see that SNOW is on sale on Steam but curious to what else is out there.

Could be fleshed out mountains in 3D or side scrolling 2D a la Trials but must be PC.

And a second attempt at an old request:

5thMouseButton posted:

Are there any decent realistic fighting games on the PC free of fireballs & lasers, something more like Tekken or the UFC games?

5thMouseButton fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 20, 2014

CornBrick
Jun 21, 2014

A chance to look as cool on the outside as I am on the inside.
I already made a thread about this but someone suggested posting here instead, so I'm just using that; here it goes:

I have this awesome friend and we spend a lot of time gaming. Sometimes we get bored of what we're playing and I was wondering if you could help with some suggestions.
Rules:
We can't get more people on reliably because they suck. Think of something that would work with 2 people and still be enjoyable
No MMORPGs.
We're cheap slacks so F2P only.

That's about it!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CornBrick posted:

I already made a thread about this but someone suggested posting here instead, so I'm just using that; here it goes:

I have this awesome friend and we spend a lot of time gaming. Sometimes we get bored of what we're playing and I was wondering if you could help with some suggestions.
Rules:
We can't get more people on reliably because they suck. Think of something that would work with 2 people and still be enjoyable
No MMORPGs.

That's about it!

Depending on your definition of MMORPG, I would suggest the following F2P games on Steam:

Marvel Heroes - think Diablo but with Marvel dudes, and in my opinion much better than Diablo 3
APB: Reloaded - GTA online before GTA online existed
Warframe - basically it's Mass Effect 3 multiplayer but with a new coat of paint.
Blacklight: Retribution - If you actually enjoy playing Call of Duty multiplayer, this is basically that but free to play
Hawken - it feels kinda like an old-school arena shooter, only you are in mechs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CornBrick posted:

Rules:
No MMORPGs.

That's about it!

League of legends.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved The Walking Dead S1 & S2, I also really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, is there any other non-linear story games like that that are really good?

No Anime Please.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Turtlicious posted:

I loved The Walking Dead S1 & S2, I also really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, is there any other non-linear story games like that that are really good?

No Anime Please.

Alpha Protocol has the same kind of dialog system and reactivity, except it's also a (mediocre) third person shooter.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Alpha Protocol has the same kind of dialog system and reactivity, except it's also a (mediocre) third person shooter.

Have it, and I honestly feels like it was the inspiration for the Telltale games, because the two (at least the dialogue options,) are very similar.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any good recommendations for "ant farm" type games? I mean the kind of thing like Dwarf Fortress or Prison Architect where you're building a system that's interesting to just watch doing its thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for "ant farm" type games? I mean the kind of thing like Dwarf Fortress or Prison Architect where you're building a system that's interesting to just watch doing its thing.

'Banished' on steam.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I recently got a new job as an operator at a hospital. I have a lot of downtime, however, I call codes as well, and when a code comes time is of the essence so I have to drop everything I'm doing and focus. I recently discovered the games Hexcells and Hexcells plus and they've made me enjoy going to work, because I can play them at my leisure, and if poo poo hits the fan I can just leave them sitting there. Are there any other games like this on Steam? I have both of the Hexcell games, and Faerie Solitaire, are there anything else of that nature I could be playing? I would love to load up while the sale is still going on :).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MussoliniB posted:

I recently got a new job as an operator at a hospital. I have a lot of downtime, however, I call codes as well, and when a code comes time is of the essence so I have to drop everything I'm doing and focus. I recently discovered the games Hexcells and Hexcells plus and they've made me enjoy going to work, because I can play them at my leisure, and if poo poo hits the fan I can just leave them sitting there. Are there any other games like this on Steam? I have both of the Hexcell games, and Faerie Solitaire, are there anything else of that nature I could be playing? I would love to load up while the sale is still going on :).

I'm a critical care respiratory therapist in a couple hospitals, I've installed (manually unpacked) SC1, Diablo 2, dwarf fortress, etc on my workstation. If you're able to actually use steam (on your own laptop at work?) pretty much anything with a pause button must work? I've really enjoyed playing Starsector (which is in alpha and not on Steam I think) at work as it's easily pause-able so I can run off to the code blues that the operators call :argh:

Other easily stopped games:

Frozen Synapse

Papers Please

Poker Night 1/2

Space Run <- new game, fun tower defense

Thanks for the work that you do, we rarely get the chance to commend you people.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Recently I've been craving a wilderness survival game, but haven't landed on one that quite scratches the itch yet. Here's a few reckoning points that come close:

Skyrim: With the correct mods like Frostfall and Hunterborn, Skyrim turns into a pretty visceral struggle against the wilderness itself. Starting out completely naked and having to forage for basics is a lot of fun, and though the sense of scale is a bit off the scenery was pretty good. This is about the closest I've come to the ideal game, but most of the challenge is self-imposed as your good fortune tends to snowball once you stabilize.

Miasmata: This is a good'un: truly focuses on keeping yourself healthy while giving you a nice kick in the pants with the constant threat of being hunted. Add in a realistic (though a bit finicky) mapping system and you've got yourself a good game. But the only thing you'll be fighting here is your disease and the dark, and there's not a whole lot of crafting to be had outside of puzzle-style stuff and cooking up medicine. It's also a pretty solvable game, so replay value isn't all that high.

Wurm Online: Here's what caused the whole itch. I played this years ago with goons, carving out a settlement amid trees, rocks, invisible trolls and bear subs. This game shows you just what an uncoordinated gently caress you are, and you have to claw your way to some semblance of skill through grit and determination. Though the graphics were poo poo and the animation completely absent, the landscape could be very striking and provided a great backdrop to your horrible struggle. My problem with Wurm is that you have to join a community and specialize, as living alone in the woods is pretty much impossible.

So tl;dr, I'm looking for a preferably first-person, real-time survival simulator with decent crafting. Replayability is a huge plus, too. Oh, and Don't Starve is on my wishlist already.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Recently I've been craving a wilderness survival game, but haven't landed on one that quite scratches the itch yet. Here's a few reckoning points that come close:

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but the roguelike UnReal World might fit the bill. You just play a dude eking it out in the Finnish wilderness. It does eventually snowball once you have a trap fence, log cabin, and cellar set up but you should get plenty of satisfaction before then. Oh and it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Skyrim: With the correct mods like Frostfall and Hunterborn, Skyrim turns into a pretty visceral struggle against the wilderness itself. Starting out completely naked and having to forage for basics is a lot of fun, and though the sense of scale is a bit off the scenery was pretty good. This is about the closest I've come to the ideal game, but most of the challenge is self-imposed as your good fortune tends to snowball once you stabilize.

Miasmata: This is a good'un: truly focuses on keeping yourself healthy while giving you a nice kick in the pants with the constant threat of being hunted. Add in a realistic (though a bit finicky) mapping system and you've got yourself a good game. But the only thing you'll be fighting here is your disease and the dark, and there's not a whole lot of crafting to be had outside of puzzle-style stuff and cooking up medicine. It's also a pretty solvable game, so replay value isn't all that high.

Wurm Online: Here's what caused the whole itch. I played this years ago with goons, carving out a settlement amid trees, rocks, invisible trolls and bear subs. This game shows you just what an uncoordinated gently caress you are, and you have to claw your way to some semblance of skill through grit and determination. Though the graphics were poo poo and the animation completely absent, the landscape could be very striking and provided a great backdrop to your horrible struggle. My problem with Wurm is that you have to join a community and specialize, as living alone in the woods is pretty much impossible.

So tl;dr, I'm looking for a preferably first-person, real-time survival simulator with decent crafting. Replayability is a huge plus, too. Oh, and Don't Starve is on my wishlist already.

I mentioned this about a week or so back but STALKER: Call of Pripyat with Misery installed is great at this. You are constantly scavenging for ammo and food while at the same time trying to complete the mission you were sent there to do. One of the starting scenarios even starts you out with just a knife and expects you to make your way up.