Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shalinor posted:

I'm at Denver ComiCon this weekend showing off Hot Tin Roof, hence my silence. Tomorrow's our last day, and then I'll probably be passed out on my couch on Monday, but then I will say stuff in here again.

EDIT: if anyone's still struggling for ideas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF9srmYC8_A

Totally off topic, but if I knew you were there, I would have stopped by and said hi.

So to help with the adherence to the theme - I'm probably thinking too much about the theme, aren't I? PATV is basically just extremely low budget production. I could theoretically make any game I want, and as long as it's intentionally mediocre, there's a chance I'm at least in the ballpark, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

So to help with the adherence to the theme - I'm probably thinking too much about the theme, aren't I? PATV is basically just extremely low budget production. I could theoretically make any game I want, and as long as it's intentionally mediocre, there's a chance I'm at least in the ballpark, right?

I don't see why not, the themes in these jams have pretty much always been super loose and from what I remember games that took liberties and loopholes with the theme weren't penalized by the judges for doing so unless they were a huge stretch.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
How do people feel about doing pre-production artwork to get a feel for size/palette type of art assets before the competition starts? Do you think this would qualify as cheating? Even if none of the assets created during pre-production were used in the finished game?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

If anyone has any questions about RPG Maker VX poke me. I should be able to answer most of them. Just as a note though, the fullscreen mode in RPG Maker VX is a pile of crap, and your limited to a max window size.

code:
    #=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    # - Screen Resolution Size -
    # RPG Maker VX Ace has the option of having larger width and height for
    # your games. Resizing the width and height will have these changes:
    # 
    #              Default   Resized   Min Tiles Default   Min Tiles New
    #    Width       544       640           17                 20
    #    Height      416       480           13                 15
    # 
    # * Note: Maximum width is 640 while maximum height is 480.
    #         Minimum width is 110 while maximum height is 10.
    #         These are limitations set by RPG Maker VX Ace's engine.
    # 
You can call the resize with Graphics.resize_screen(width, height)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

ShredsYouSay posted:

How do people feel about doing pre-production artwork to get a feel for size/palette type of art assets before the competition starts? Do you think this would qualify as cheating? Even if none of the assets created during pre-production were used in the finished game?

You're good, it's just planning not cheating.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Just a question that I don't think was answered in the OP or since, can we assume that the judges will have a 360 controller or do all the games have to be fully keyboard compatible?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I can't find my 360 controller at the moment, so I wouldn't be able to score your game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Leif. posted:

I can't find my 360 controller at the moment, so I wouldn't be able to score your game.
Gonna have to revoke your gamer card :mad:

Polo-Rican posted:

I have a lot of poo poo going on in July so I don't think Holy Wow will have time to make a game. However I think it could be really fun to judge... we have a cool webcam setup now and it would be a blast to put together some sort of livestream thing, like some goons did last year.

Were the google spreadsheet woes of last year solved? I remember the judges complaining that inputting stuff into the doc took a ridiculous amount of time because of weird google issues.
You are now a judge. That means you put on your big boy britches and don't whine about GoogleDocs. :colbert:

(yes, that was fixed midway through judging last year... I had just forgotten to disable the calculations that were in the sheet, meaning a TON of work was done every time a judge entered a single number)

... and, OP is updated with new entrants. Today was nice. I sat and did nothing, and was basically half-comatose the entire day.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Shalinor posted:

Gonna have to revoke your gamer card :mad:

Strangely none of my 360 controllers that are actually 360 controllers work on my PC. Nor does my Onlive controller. I got a cheap Steelseries knock-off controller that DOES get recognized as a 360 controller but it's somewhere in a storage box from the move and I haven't found it yet.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Leif. posted:

Strangely none of my 360 controllers that are actually 360 controllers work on my PC. Nor does my Onlive controller. I got a cheap Steelseries knock-off controller that DOES get recognized as a 360 controller but it's somewhere in a storage box from the move and I haven't found it yet.

Good news: You've got a month and a half to find something. :)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Hey folks. I gave a talk a while back for the Dallas Society of Play called 'The Art of Game Jam'. It's full of good info for participating in a game jam and things you should think about before, during, and after the game jam. While oriented towards shorter game jams, most of it should still apply to the SAGDC this year. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OevClUQg-lQ

Slides here: http://bit.ly/AoGJSlides

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Obsurveyor posted:

Good news: You've got a month and a half to find something. :)

I'm still finding storage boxes and waiting on a shipment of my crap from when I moved in back in March. Unpacking is a slow process.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So, if any of you are as crazy as TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is and are hoping to do some sort of weird experimental game using heavy Twitch integration, it looks like the Twitch SDK has a whole bunch of cool stuff, including native, cross-platform Unity distribution: https://github.com/twitchtv/sdk-dist

Make sure you get everything rolling before July rolls around, though: you have to register your game with Twitch as a client application, then email the resulting client ID to brooke@twitch.tv in order to get manually white-listed as an authorized application... otherwise it won't work.

e: Okay I'm going through this process now and it involves a lot of scary legal bullshit. I'll post a trip report when I'm done, but, holy poo poo, this is the most paperwork I've had to do to use an open-source SDK in forever.

blastron fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 18, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I mentioned this (a couple times) in the IRC chat, but is there anyone who's going for a late 70's/early 80's vibe for their games? I'd love to provide you with some period-specific music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_MEFVx5jM

The whole thing is amazing, but in case you didn't want to go in that upbeat of a direction, pay close attention to the beginning and ending of the video. That nice, retro, vibe? I want to deliver that to someone's game.

EDIT: Aaaaaand I'm part of a team now, awesome! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 18, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I flunked out the past two years. I will not flunk out again.

:toxx:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I flunked out the past two years. I will not flunk out again.

:toxx:
Witnessed :haw:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Just an update I've been adding/removing people from the Orphan list, so if you are looking for talent don't forget it's there. Not everyone I've added has been active in the latest posts or at all.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I've kidnapped Rupert Buttermilk for music and now we're Team Retro Leaf.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

JossiRossi posted:

Just an update I've been adding/removing people from the Orphan list, so if you are looking for talent don't forget it's there. Not everyone I've added has been active in the latest posts or at all.

I'm still interested, I just haven't posted much. Seeking a coder/programmer for my rad game (development sim about kids making charmingly bad movies over summer break) until the 23rd.

If I'm still an orphan by then, I guess I'll hop on someone else's project, or just bow out entirely.

Refresher:
I do pixel art and animation, I'm learning Unity, but I'm pretty terrible with it right now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Dodgeball posted:

I'm still interested, I just haven't posted much. Seeking a coder/programmer for my rad game (development sim about kids making charmingly bad movies over summer break) until the 23rd.

If I'm still an orphan by then, I guess I'll hop on someone else's project, or just bow out entirely.

Refresher:
I do pixel art and animation, I'm learning Unity, but I'm pretty terrible with it right now.

Hey, guy. I'm also terrible with Unity, but I'm pretty good with C# (been working with it at an enterprise level for 3 years). If you're interested in picking me up since I have no idea for a game, I'm okay with that.

Also, Shalinor - I apologize for potentially confusing you, but I am on the list of entrants twice since I got a name change. I'm on the list as Team Shut Up And Make Game as well as Protocol7. If you can condense me to just Protocol7 - since that's the username you have on record for my toxx - that'd be rad, thanks. :)

edit: If it helps anyone who wants to pick me up, I subscribe to the Adobe Creative Cloud and can contribute, to some extent, art assets and wire together lovely videos (which would be perfect for this).

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 18, 2014

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Let's do eet. I also have Adobe Creative Cloud, so we should be able to use the cloudshare function to keep in sync, artwise. I haven't asked him, yet, but I'm certain my friend that did all of the music for my youtube cartoon would be happy to contribute some tunes for the project, too.

When you get a chance, PM me and we can bounce some ideas around.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. I've decided to go for a take on one of the more popular types of program on Australia's public access channel 31 (https://www.31.org.au): the fishing show.

Most fishing and camping shows I see these days are basically infomercials with short bouts of fish actually being caught, so my idea is you are attempting to make as much sponsorship money as possible to fund your fishing trip. Before each show you pick your fishing gear from various sponsors; the more sponsorship money the gear brings the more and bigger fish you have to catch. Don't catch enough fish and the punters watching your show won't buy enough of the sponsor's gear meaning you'll get less money next time or that sponsor won't be available. For the actual fishing part I figure I'll rip off Atari 2600 Fishing.

Given I have a wife and a kid my time is somewhat limited, and couple with my almost complete novice status I'll have to keep this as tight as possible to get something finished. My goal is to get the bare minimum functions ticked off and then expand if I have time.

Oh and with my complete lack of fishing knowledge I expect to get all the details hilariously wrong, but I'll do my best!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

And, with the addition of the talented 3D character artist durpadurp, TEAM PUNCH FIGHT has reached capacity and is set to blow everyone else out of the water. (Our game will rock so hard, we'll make public access look like HBO.)

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I guess I missed when our team announced, I'm on Team Attention Spam.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Crudus posted:

I guess I missed when our team announced, I'm on Team Attention Spam.

How apropos... :haw:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If you need a writer hit me up on Darknet, or uh, here

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
I think I'm going to be making a sort of Visual Novel about watching public access TV

it may take place in a post-apocalyptic setting in which survivors make up their own TV shows to replace the lost networks

Knowing me It won't go anywhere and I'll make something totally different at the last minute like last year.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

ClownSyndrome posted:

it may take place in a post-apocalyptic setting in which survivors make up their own TV shows to replace the lost networks

It's awesome how sometimes a single sentence can conjure up a whole setting and history with which one could fill a book.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

ClownSyndrome posted:

I think I'm going to be making a sort of Visual Novel about watching public access TV

Knowing me It won't go anywhere and I'll make something totally different at the last minute like last year.

Immediately brought Remain Indoors to mind, if you aren't familiar with it already. I think there's a lot of scope there for some good dark humour!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to join this year! Inspired by the name of team HONK I would like to be team QUACK, and make a game where you play as one of these ducks trying to follow along with an episode of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross:

by flapping around with a brush in your beak, or something along those lines.

I've made an interactive installation using Unity before, so making an actual game should be maybe somewhat do-able, I hope :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I spent about five hours today following a Unity video tutorial. At least 10% of that was pulling my hair out wondering why I couldn't control the player object, because I was reading the code samples from a little Youtube window and didn't know the first letter of C# methods is typically capitalized :shepicide:. Aside from that, feels good man.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I'd like to take this opportunity to officially register team Facecheekwall, composed of myself and user Facecheekwall!

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
Offering skills as a developer. Have a Linux box instead of a Windows machine. I recently made a theremin version of Guitar Hero in PyGame over a weekend for a hackathon. Let's access some public together :D

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I finally came up with a concept that I liked and I'm going to work solo.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

I'd like to join this year! Inspired by the name of team HONK I would like to be team QUACK, and make a game where you play as one of these ducks trying to follow along with an episode of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross:

by flapping around with a brush in your beak, or something along those lines.

I've made an interactive installation using Unity before, so making an actual game should be maybe somewhat do-able, I hope :v:

Daring move, comrade. One I will not forget lightly.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mido posted:

Daring move, comrade. One I will not forget lightly.
If QUACK gets made, and it's good, and you don't give it 100% points, we can't be friends anymore. :colbert:

HONK.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
Daring move? More like darling :3:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The SA GameDev wiki lives again!

Anyone want to do a logo for this year's SA GameDev? If so, we'll throw it up there. If not, we'll remain logoless, like animals.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Sure why not, what's the specific dimensions if I may ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Shalinor posted:

If QUACK gets made, and it's good, and you don't give it 100% points, we can't be friends anymore. :colbert:

HONK.

:frogc00l: Oh. Team QUACK wont be a problem. Don't you worry.

• Locked thread