Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mizufusion posted:

I managed to kill all my lithops, too. I wasn't watering much, but apparently "at all" was still too much for that little plant. :sigh:

I have a few succulents outside in the California heat that do alright with little or no water, but they're well-established, large plants; mostly jade plants. I think they're Crassula ovata and Portulacaria afra. Some of the crassula still get a little shriveled and red, but they bounce back every fall and turn green again and start flowering. Aloe doesn't seem to like where it is, though.

Are these in the ground? In-ground plants can survive a dry summer (with maybe the odd watering if it's been a punishing drought like we're having) because there's usually at least some moisture once you get down a foot or so, but pots, especially terra cotta, get absolutely dessicated. You lose roots, which slows growth to a crawl and makes the plants susceptible to rot once they get water again (unless you're very careful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I have a theory that many people aren't killing their lithops (though I'm sure many are), but aren't aware that they look dead as poo poo when they're dormant, before new leaves emerge.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Kenning posted:

Are these in the ground? In-ground plants can survive a dry summer (with maybe the odd watering if it's been a punishing drought like we're having) because there's usually at least some moisture once you get down a foot or so, but pots, especially terra cotta, get absolutely dessicated. You lose roots, which slows growth to a crawl and makes the plants susceptible to rot once they get water again (unless you're very careful).

Most of the crassulas are in various pots that are far too small, but my landlord put them where they are and I don't want to gently caress with them too much. All but one or two are partially under the eaves of the house, so they don't get soaked too badly when it rains. Last winter the tops got a bit frostbitten, though.

The Portulacaria is in-ground and pretty well established. I have to hack it back every now and then because it's as tall as I am, and tries to take over the front doorway sometimes. Not sure what the aloe is planted in, but it's way too small and they never get water because the leaves block all the water from getting in the pots and it's in full sun. Poor thing is always red and shriveled, even in the middle of rainy season. I've tried to help it, but it seems a little pointless. :sigh:

One of my current garden project is actually to repot most of my succulents and make a nice garden display for them. I'm clearing out an unused portion of the yard for it that gets mostly full sun. There's also an empty fountain there that I've been using as a plant display for my cacti. :downs:

unprofessional posted:

I have a theory that many people aren't killing their lithops (though I'm sure many are), but aren't aware that they look dead as poo poo when they're dormant, before new leaves emerge.

Mine melted. Pretty sure that makes for very dead plants.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Mizufusion posted:

Mine melted. Pretty sure that makes for very dead plants.

Same. They just disappeared into nothingness.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

People should note that sub-optimal light conditions makes plants much more susceptible to all sorts of stress. Over-watering, pests, even the natural stress of dormancy can much more easily kill a plant that's not getting the right amount of light. Lithops are adapted to extremely high light intensity. If they are being kept indoors they're probably not getting near as much light as they'd be getting in their naturally extreme habitat.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

unprofessional posted:

That's a great little planting. I don't see any brown in that picture; do you mean the red edges? That's something most succulent growers aim for. If there is browning we can't see, best thing you can do for it is put it right outside for the summer and let nature take care of it. I put all my succulents outside and don't water them at all during the summer.

To expand on the color change he mentioned, quite a few succulents will develop a color change in part or all of their leaves when they're getting a little more than enough light. Some growers strive for it, some think it makes the plant ugly. It comes down to personal preference and won't harm the plant in any way. Personally, my zebra cactus turned an ugly rusty brown, so I moved it a little farther from the window and the color recovered after awhile. On the other hand, my jade plant will sometimes develop bright red edges on its leaves in the summer that I quite like.

Also, ax ex of mine affectionately called my lithops "butt plants". In fact, that same plant is still alive today, 8 years later and it flowers every winter. What are you guys doing with yours that makes 'em keel over like that?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 17, 2014

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I had started 100 lithops from seed. I started them in a plastic bag and everything was looking great. A whole bunch of them germinated, but the instructions I was following said to wait a few days for everything to come out, and then start hardening them off by slowly taking the plastic off over the next day or two.

The instructions were wrong. I waited a single day too long to remove the plastic and everything died almost immediately.

I prefer starting my plants from seed and almost my entire succulent collection was started that way, but lithops still elude me. I have some conophytum seeds I am going to try next, mesemb-wise, and I hope I don't gently caress it up this time.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Since we're talking about succulents, does anyone know how I can encourage some leaf buds on the trunk of my "bonsai" Crassula ovata 'hobbit' to break dormancy? I want the plant to fill out a bit. I keep pinching the new top leaves every time they come in, but instead of causing the lower buds to grow, my plant just puts out new upper leaves to replace the old ones.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Also, ax ex of mine affectionately called my lithops "butt plants". In fact, that same plant is still alive today, 8 years later and it flowers every winter. What are you guys doing with yours that makes 'em keel over like that?

Based on this post of yours, you do not have a Lithops, but a Pleiospilos. They are a bit easier than Lithops, and are slightly less stringent about their water tolerances.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
crap, I gotta get caught up on posts, but can anyone ID this type of lily? It's a friends

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Asiatic lily.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
We have had this neat plant in front of our apartment since we moved in a few years ago. It's probably ten inches across on a two-foot stem.

Tonight our toddler succeeded in shaking its head off. We were sad.

With some help from the first few pages of this thread, I've identified it as an Aeonium, probably Aeonium Ciliatum. It also seems that this kind of plant might be rather hearty

Leperflesh posted:

The horrorpond. There are floating plant things that went dormant for the winter but they are all still fine and will sprout back out any day now. The green stuff is frogbit, it's supposed to be there. And the succulent is one my wife brought home that had broken off of someone's plant somewhere. She just stuck it right into the pond and left it there. It's been there for over a year and isn't dead so I guess some succulents are OK with being stuck in a pond. Who knew!

and easy to propagate

EagerSleeper posted:

Do you see the succulent leaf next to the dried up twig in the middle of the picture? The leaf's pink roots are probably a centimeter long, and the leaf is still fat as ever despite the energy expenditure. Yeah, the roots from a leaf plantlet can reach usually reach the soil on their own. However if you want, you can put some soil on top so that way they can be done and settled in.

so I'm going to stick it in the ground again, water it every few weeks along with everything else, and see what happens. Anything else I should do?

I also noticed these guys on the ground next to it. They don't quite look like the same plant. Do the spots say anything about how I should be treating them differently?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Captain Cool posted:

We have had this neat plant in front of our apartment since we moved in a few years ago. It's probably ten inches across on a two-foot stem.

With some help from the first few pages of this thread, I've identified it as an Aeonium, probably Aeonium Ciliatum. It also seems that this kind of plant might be rather hearty

and easy to propagate

so I'm going to stick it in the ground again, water it every few weeks along with everything else, and see what happens. Anything else I should do?

I also noticed these guys on the ground next to it. They don't quite look like the same plant. Do the spots say anything about how I should be treating them differently?

I have some of those purple things. It'll be totally fine.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, it'll grow roots if you stick it in dirt. If you tear off a leaf and stick that in dirt you can grow a whole new plant.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

7thBatallion posted:

So I put some Sedum in with a couple goldfish plant starts in an 8" pot. I figured the goldfish plant is really susceptible to root rot, so having something else to wick up excess water is a good idea. They both seem quite happy, the Nematanthus growing slowly as usual and the Sedum exploding. I've trimmed back the Sedum some, at least the few parts that are outpacing the Nematanthus and planted them in the yard. If I keep the Sedum trimmed, should these two live together in harmony?

Using other plants as a moisture wick is a great idea! Although I will admit that I'm not sure if the sedum will grow quick enough to really work out great as a fast-term fix, but in theory it should. Basil plants really work out great for that job too if you want, and they're easy to grow from seed too.

Captain Cool posted:

and easy to propagate

Let the wound callous for sure, and also don't water the decapitated head for the first maybe two days. When watering, make sure the plant is watered, not so much the dirt itself. Sorry if I'm being vague, aeoniums aren't my specialty, but the rest I think you have the idea. :shobon: Hummingbirds gave good advice too in that a broken succulent plant is a chance to propagate more plants.

Not sure if you did this yet, but you need to pluck off enough leaves to leave a 'neck' on the decapitated aeonium head. Those leaves would be lost anyway during the process of rooting, but now you might get new plants out of the ordeal. :madmax:

Also tha small plant you have is a sedum nussbaumerianum. The spots might indicate too much plant crowding or too much shade? Not sure without knowing if the plant was indeed too close to another one.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 19, 2014

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

EagerSleeper posted:

Not sure if you did this yet, but you need to pluck off enough leaves to leave a 'neck' on the decapitated aeonium head. Those leaves would be lost anyway during the process of rooting, but now you might get new plants out of the ordeal. :madmax:
Yep, there's a pretty good neck left on it right now.

quote:

Also tha small plant you have is a sedum nussbaumerianum. The spots might indicate too much plant crowding or too much shade? Not sure without knowing if the plant was indeed too close to another one.
Thanks. It could be crowding, since they're near an orange tree. I read that the purple on the aeonium occurs if it gets a lot of light, so it's probably not too much shade.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kenning posted:

Based on this post of yours, you do not have a Lithops, but a Pleiospilos. They are a bit easier than Lithops, and are slightly less stringent about their water tolerances.

Nope, it's a Lithops.

The one in the foreground is the oldest. I got the age wrong, it's more like 10 years old. You can tell it's old from wide the division is. The other 2 are like 3 or 4. I wish they weren't so leggy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I stand corrected! Those are cool lithops.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Can someone help ID this? Also, what is a good site for ID'ing plants?

I found it at a little greenhouse with no label, got it for $20(!). It is gorgeously shaped.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Jade plant, Crassula ovata.

Very nicely grown one. If you can, put it outside during the summer and bring it in when it gets cold and you'll get flowers in the winter. Facebook group "Plant Idents" is excellent for quick ID responses.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

That is a gorgeous Crassula. I can't even begin to guess how old it is.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Yeah that is a ridiculously good price for jade plant that old, pretty jealous.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

bimmian posted:

I found it at a little greenhouse with no label, got it for $20(!). It is gorgeously shaped.

[

Please read up about basic care for jade plants, their root systems can be finicky and its easy to over water before you get the hang of it. And yeah, excellent, excellent deal on that plant. Good eye.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I've had my jade plant for like 4 years now, and it was definitely not young when I got it, but it's never flowered.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

On the topic of Crassula, I have C. ovata, real young one. Anything I need to be aware of that the internet hasn't told me already?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The BACPS annual show and sale is today from noon to four at the Lake Merritt garden center in Oakland. I'm entering my Drosera burmannii! It's free, so if you're in the area you should come through!

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Thanks you guys for reminding me I need to repot my jade plant and harden it off for some sun time outside. My plant is only about 5 years old, but it's a cutting from my mom's plant, which was a cutting from my grandmother's plant, which was a cutting from my great-grandmother's plant. This one jade has been in my family for 4 generations. :3:

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Please read up about basic care for jade plants, their root systems can be finicky and its easy to over water before you get the hang of it. And yeah, excellent, excellent deal on that plant. Good eye.

Thanks, been reading up all morning.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Better pic of the c. ovata plus a couple others I have.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Second one is a very nice C. ovata 'Gollum' and third one is C. obliqua 'Variegata.' I have a 'Gollum', a C ovata 'Variegata,' an 'E.T.'s Fingers' and just received a 'Hummel's Sunset'. All are very nice and get a good color when properly stressed, though the rolled-type cultivars tend to only get a bit of red on their tips, rather than turning all red.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

The BACPS annual show and sale is today from noon to four at the Lake Merritt garden center in Oakland. I'm entering my Drosera burmannii! It's free, so if you're in the area you should come through!

I got first place in sundews and second place over all! Hooray!

I'll post pictures when I get home.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Just bought some Cobweb Buttons yesterday, and I'm having some difficulty finding out any information about what the silvery webbing is for. All youtube shows me are minecraft videos when I search "Cobweb Button.' Anyone have experience with these?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Sempervivum arachnoideum. Trait has been bred into many Semp hybrids.

Not sure if the hair actually has any function. I believe hair is usually considered a stage in succulent evolution when spines are no longer necessary, but Semps don't have spines to start with. I'll ask a horticulture prof, as it's interesting.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

unprofessional posted:

Sempervivum arachnoideum. Trait has been bred into many Semp hybrids.

Not sure if the hair actually has any function. I believe hair is usually considered a stage in succulent evolution when spines are no longer necessary, but Semps don't have spines to start with. I'll ask a horticulture prof, as it's interesting.

I think the function of hair in this sort of plant is the same as it is in old man cactus, in that it's used to keep some humidity around in the dry days, and also shield against the sun. But yeah, I'm no horticultural professor, it'd be interesting to see what they have to say. :)

Also speaking of plant shows (congratulations Kenning!), I've been sitting on this link to a succulent plant show for a while. Click this link to see things like balls of lithops, plants that barely even look like plants except for the fact that they are green, and also some beautiful bonsai that I should probably crosspost into the bonsai thread. http://www.agaclar.net/forum/kaktus-ve-sukulent-alinacak-mekanlar-seralar-etkinlikler/25442.htm

A sample:

Oh hey, it's the plant from the OP and now he's all grown up. :D

I have no idea what's going on here. Looks like a scene from the movie Alien, but reenacted with plants?

Two plants that would probably have SCP Foundation stories written about them.

And lastly, this stately bonsai.

Edit:

That70sHeidi posted:

crap, I gotta get caught up on posts, but can anyone ID this type of lily? It's a friends

Those are indeed asiatic lillies as Unprofessional said, and brb, I need to go buy some. :swoon:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 22, 2014

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
A bunch of things...

1. WTG Kenning! I've got a catalog with some interesting CP I'm considering possibly getting in the future thanks to all y'alls posts.

2. Can you guys post pics of your INDOOR setups, like the windows and layouts?

3. If grass can grow under a tree (weeping cherry), and in fact the tree continues to put out new branches from its inside branches, does that mean it's partial shade and thus plantable?

4. I have mushrooms sprouting in my two planters. Is this a bad thing?

5. One planter seems to have gotten an ant colony developing. Is this a bad thing? I'm about to borax+powdered sugar the yard when the weather clears up, should I do my planter too? The other one is fine.

6. loving chipmunks. Anyone know if you can rent yard snakes for a few weeks at a time?

A. My container alyssum has started reseeding itself. I don't have any blooms on some plants so I figure what the heck, let 'em grow. My seed alyssum is taking it's sweet rear end time doing anything.

B. We apparently have a wild blackberry tree out back overhanging our yard. Not eating the fruit though.

C. Any good plant/seed catalogs to recommend? I love window shopping.

D. Better pics to come soon of stuff, just need to upload.

E. New gazanias are trying to bloom in this overcast bullshit - a pink and a pink/purple!! can't wait to save those seeds. Next year I want gazanias, s.african daisies, and gaillardia together in our rocky area. So pretty.

F. thanks for the lily ID, I think the lady across the street has bright red ones (waiting for flowers). will have to see if I can propagate.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
More lily chat! I have some asiatic lilies that are doing really nicely, then these guys started opening up in the last couple days.

Never seen dangly ones like that before. The unopened buds look quite a bit like chili peppers.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Looks like a nice hybrid. If you really like the vertical type (much more striking than day lilies, in my opinion), you should try to find/order Lilium auratum. It has flower spikes 8' high!

Took some pictures around the pond, yesterday.

Perry's Orange Sunset:

Black Princess:

Almost Black:

Not the best color, but a big 'Sunny Pink':

Lily Pons:

White 1000 Petals:

Clyde Ilkins:

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Those are so beautiful, stubblyhead. I think if I had a pond like that I would end up staring off into space for hours at it daily.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zratha posted:

Those are so beautiful, stubblyhead. I think if I had a pond like that I would end up staring off into space for hours at it daily.

I wish I could take credit for those. The pond in my yard is maybe 10' across and currently has no blooms whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

That70sHeidi posted:

2. Can you guys post pics of your INDOOR setups, like the windows and layouts?

I have plants all over the house, but I have a few areas that tend to have larger clusters of plants than others.

This is the grow shelf I created in my office

The top shelf is for actual growing and the bottom 2 are storage. You can see there is some fabric at the top there, I roll that down to keep the light out of my eyes and to keep the room looking tidier.

Close-up of the grow shelf:

When my cacti seedlings get bigger, I move some of them above the South facing door in my kitchen

And then I also like to use one of my North facing windows, which overlooks my patio plants.