Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I always liked the way he shouts "prismatic missile!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Need to get his great magic lines. Celestial Star might as well have been written just for him.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:gonk:
:gonk::gonk:
:gonk::gonk::gonk:

Lezard Valeth, ladies and gentlegoons, Lezard Valeth.

Keldulas posted:

Huh, in a game with somewhat dodgy voice acting overall, Lezard's voicework is fitting. Smug, insane, fits him to a T.

I like the content here overall. Well, 'like' as in appreciate, cause this is well-done but holy poo poo reprehensible.

I think it's a sane and balanced reaction here. Dude oozes charisma and he's a great villain, but like the Joker that only underscores the insanity.

gently caress, he's not evil Harry Potter, Lezard is the Joker with an actual goal beyond watching the world burn.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. "Normal" stalkers may have a shrine with photos and such, dude has artificial living bodies, hopefully soulless, sculpted in Lenneth's image

Omobono fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Still though - I don't know if any of you follow Australian politics, but I think I'd take Lezard over our current Minister for Women.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

How long I've waited for this moment. My heart now throbs with the same exaltation as when I first laid eyes on you many months ago...

Trivia: in the VP manga, Lezard was the one who supplied the Ghoul Powder to Lombert to transform Jelanda - which makes sense, as that was what he also used on Lorenta's husband. This was also when he first saw Lenneth. How much of that is actually canon isn't established.

I always assumed the periods in the game lasted for maybe a day or so each, and given you find him in Chapter 4, 72-84 periods after the scenario with Arngrim and Jelanda, that seems plausible, though saying 2.5 months is "many" feels like a stretch. It's possible that a period could be a week long, meaning 18-21 months can be counted as many, but then that would mean the Valkyrie spends two weeks exploring one dungeon or recruiting one Einherjar, which is bordering on overkill.

I'm probably overthinking this.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

All this talk about Lezard, and we've all forgotten the most important part of the update.

UNLIMITED POWER. :getin:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I think before we get to UNLIMITED power we need 1 more ingredient. Wasn't it in this very dungeon tho? I MIGHT be misremembering but I believe that you could just find one... then buy 1 more from the shop.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

DmitriX posted:

I think before we get to UNLIMITED power we need 1 more ingredient. Wasn't it in this very dungeon tho? I MIGHT be misremembering but I believe that you could just find one... then buy 1 more from the shop.

Next dungeon. I actually got that dungeon to show up BEFORE Lezard's Tower on my last playthrough. It made the rest of the tower very satisfying.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

And because the only way to see them is out of battle, here's their dead poses.

Not dead, knocked down-you've actually been seeing those poses a lot, whenever someone gets knocked flying and ends up on their back.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I had to try the Lezard fight over and over as a kid so many times that the dialogue leading into it is more or less written to memory, but I had forgotten the part after the fight where he actually genuinely makes her stop and question herself for a minute. It definitely instills a feeling that he just might've actually won this round, running away or not.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Did he clone Zeus in the background cylinder or did he figure giving Lenneth a bearded man body would make her more eager to change sides?

edit: change to a god with a beard.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 19, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Remember Lezard's assistant earlier was also a homunculus, so he's not just growing girl bodies for his lady-love.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm more than a little amused that for all that Lezard Valeth is a smug motherfucker, his voice jumps up by about half an octave the very moment he enters battle, like he's been trying put on a Man Voice to impress the ladies. Also I'm glad that I'm not the only person who knew him as "rear end in a top hat Harry Potter".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's a pity that they weren't able to get most of VP1's voice cast to come back for VP2, but Lezard gets the best possible upgrade in Liam O'Brien.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did he actually grow a progression of bodies of increasing age or are those just homonculi in various stages of development?

Either way: creepy.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Ah, Lezard, aren't you a creepy little poo poo.

Derek Barona posted:

I had to try the Lezard fight over and over as a kid so many times that the dialogue leading into it is more or less written to memory,

Would you say... it was engraved upon your soul? :smug:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Iceclaw posted:

Ah, Lezard, aren't you a creepy little poo poo.

Would you say... it was engraved upon your soul? :smug:

I would, good sir. :golfclap:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
And if ye know not, ye were MADE to know! :byodood:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Lezard gets the best possible upgrade in Liam O'Brien.

"Downgrade." You mean "downgrade."

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Eh, while I like Liam O'Brien, his voice doesn't really fits a smarmy, goony little deviant like Lezard.
e: V It's a good performance indeed, but it doesn't feel as right as Blaustein's is.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 20, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They both give good performances, just different ones. And Lezard's context is rather different in VP2 anyway.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I never made it far enough into VP2 to run into Lezard. Does Liam O'Brian do his Grimoire Weiss voice from Nier, or does he do something different?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I never made it far enough into VP2 to run into Lezard. Does Liam O'Brian do his Grimoire Weiss voice from Nier, or does he do something different?
He does Dist the Rose.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I pretty much always remember him as Akihiko Sanada from Persona 3 and Kain from FF4 DS/Dissidia 012. Coincidentally, he WOULD be my first choice for Lezard if I didn't have VP1 to associate him with any other voices first.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I like Blaustein's performance better mostly because it's not a very TYPICAL kind of voice for a mad sorcerer sort of character. He's hammy, but in a schmoozy, slimy lothario sort of way. There's something sickeningly, cloyingly saccharine and vile about the way he talks to Lenneth; he SOUNDS like a rotten apple TASTES.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Agent Interrobang posted:

I like Blaustein's performance better mostly because it's not a very TYPICAL kind of voice for a mad sorcerer sort of character. He's hammy, but in a schmoozy, slimy lothario sort of way. There's something sickeningly, cloyingly saccharine and vile about the way he talks to Lenneth; he SOUNDS like a rotten apple TASTES.

Agreed. Dist sounds like a character someone made in a desperate attempt for it to stand out, and bless Liam for putting energy into it but it's just not very interesting.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 20, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Well, that was an adventure, wasn't it?

Lorenta is actually one of two Einherjar who don't drop the Seal value while recruited. However, defeating Lezard drops it by 15.

After the Tower, the Cave of Thackus is a walk in the park in comparison (and mercifully much shorter). The Black Dream Tower isn't present in Hard.

We also get our third Bracelet of Zoe and our first Coin of Fortune.

And for our Hard Mode dungeon, the Dark Tower of Xervah.

OST: Out of Chaos

The Dark Tower isn't so bad really compared to say, the Salerno Academy. Well, if you're good at platforming.

Undead Carcasses come in big groups, but are easy to dispatch of.

Crying Souls can inflict Petrify and large damage, but have pretty poor accuracy and health - a good spell should knock them out easily.

The Tower has this body part theme going on, with eyeballs in the walls and teeth and blood vessels throughout.

Fire Elementals can hit the entire party with Flame Banner, but are hideously weak to Ice, while Lesser Demons are non-threats.

There are toothed gaps in the floor that don't really do anything yet.

First thing we want to do is find this heart. Smacking it causes it to pulsate, pumping blood to some of the veins in the dungeon.

It'll let us pass through a few veins that block our path.

It also activates the toothed gaps in the floor which send us into a... stomach-like? area. We'll want to jump into them once.

Namely to get the Flame Jewel for this dungeon (and a Mage Slayer). The treasures chests are quite well hidden, so you might not even notice they're there without a Treasure Search.

There are a few exits here, but to get the one we want, we just jump into the central vessel.

Which sends us back here. The jaws later on will send us back here as well, essentially making us backtrack if we land in one.

The next bit has these giant teeth that open for only a split second and damage us if we touch them while they're moving.

There really isn't an elegant solution for this unless you're crazy good at timing.

Inferiors have extremely high STR (we're talking over double of most enemies in Chapter 4) and can do a lot of damage, but are weak to Poison, Holy and Dark and don't have that much health.

(Speaking of which, check out Lorenta's health! Bracelets of Zoe go a long way when starting at level 1.)

Further in is a Holy Relic, which we'll use after the dungeon.

I do not like this part. We have to jump across the tall blood vessels while avoiding the toothed gaps, which will drop us back into the stomach area. Stay on the vessels too long and they'll wobble, dropping us into the gaps anyway.

I was never good at platforming, alright? Took me longer than I wanted to.

Urgh, stupid things.

There is a single Iron Golem in the dungeon.

It has high health, but isn't much of a threat.

There's another heart later on that you have to smack multiple times to open all the blood vessels in this area. You just have to backtrack if you didn't hit them enough the the vessel stops you.

Once you get past them, it's boss fight time!

So the hand of Hel reaches all the way to Midgard now...

:drac: Everyone gather here!! Valkyrie has arrived! Inform the Queen. She will be overjoyed!

The Tower of Lezard Valeth might be the toughest dungeon in Chapter 4, but the Hel Servants are the toughest boss in Chapter 4. They dish out high damage and are extremely resistant to Magic. The worst part is their gimmick - if you kill one without killing the other in the same round, they'll use Restore to revive their fallen ally with full health.

They can take out over 10k with Poison Blow. Good thing we spent so much time in Lezard's Tower levelling up!

Don't ask me how I managed to do it, but somehow my first assault ended with leaving the first Hel Servant just barely alive.

Sorcerers aren't too much help here for damaging purposes. You'll really want to bring them for three reasons, the first two of which are Sap Guard and Heal.

Prismatic Missile ended up Cursing Lenneth. A Cursed character can't change equipment or use their PWS.

(Didn't matter too much since she got killed in the same round and Guts'd back.)

The third reason to bring a Sorcerer is to use a Great Magic to (hopefully) take both Hel Servants out in the same round.

The first one dies at least.

Janus then finishes the second. Have I mentioned how much I love that Guilty Break only has a CT of 2?

Coming here before getting some levels from Chapter 3 would be pretty rough.

Seraphy is a sword with a 10% chance of doubling gems generated, while the Basilisk is just a decently powered spear with a chance of Petrifying. Neither one really matters, because we just got the Manual of Resurrection.

The first thing we're going to do is to equip the Creation Gem to allow us to transmute it into an Orihalcon. For those playing on Normal, you can instead transmute the Fairy Bottle from the Black Dream Tower to get an Orihalcon.

Then we can transmute it into the Creation Jewel, which allows the most powerful transmutations. :getin:

There's a bunch of cool things we can do with the Creation Jewel, some of which includes turning the Broken weapons and armour into much more powerful things. Crimson Edges from Broken Spears have 1200 ATK, three attacks and Fire+90% damage, instantly turning Lawfer/Aelia threatening.

They also can be sold for 6000 MP, if you care about that.

We can also make two nice swords. Broken Blades transmute into Glare Swords, which instantly kill enemies weak to Poison. The Holy Relic and Book of Everlasting Life transmute into Icicle Swords, which kill enemies weak to Ice. They both also have 1200 ATK and two attacks.

As a reminder, the strongest weapon up to this point aside from wands was the Grand Sting, with just 500 ATK. Those two swords can also be used by Warriors and Samurai, to make them even more versatile.

The Unicorn Horn, which is found in Brahms' Castle, transmutes into the Unicorn's Horn. It has 1300 MAG (just 300 less of the Ether Scepter), but more importantly, allows the use of Great Magic without ever breaking.

Be still, my beating heart.

We'll have more to do with the Creation Jewel eventually, but for now, let's move on. Our next stop is the Weeping Lily Meadow, a place we've never visited before.

I'm sure I felt the resonance of human thought...

!!

...They fled? ...Why would spectres gather around this stone?

Is this...

A grave marker?

For whatever reason, this drops our Seal rating by another 15. Huh.

Our next stop is Gerabellum. We can view this scene anytime before recruiting Lucian in Chapter 5.

Forget this. I'm going home.

Eh? Is that...?

---

Hmm.

I suppose she wasn't all that... special-looking, but...

But what?

It was just... Her hair was silver. And when the light struck it, it shimmered like a sapphire. It was so beautiful...

---

Listen: Claire

(The only thing that's the same is the color of her hair. I mean, the girl he was talking about... She's dead...)

---

Please forgive her. She's just a child.

She...?

The girl who threw the rock at you was my daughter. Although we're not related by blood.

How are you today, Madam Dolce? We brought today's earnings.

Oh, this young lady is Meril. Earlier today, Claire... hit her with a rock.

Claire?! Claire did that? That isn't like her...

Whaaa?!

What's wrong?

I'm... I'm sorry. It's nothing.

---

But I'm able to live like this because Lucian brings me money each and every day. But lately, I've been hearing upsetting rumors.

---

Fine! I did it because I was jealous! I did it because she was beautiful...

I did it because of her silver hair!

Claire...

You don't know how it makes me feel?

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 21, 2014

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
Ugh, I hate dungeons that go for the sort of biological feel, especially when the bodily aspects are dangerous. Well, except maybe that one Earthworm Jim level, and that's just cause it was too weird to be gross.

I'm still not really sure where all this is going, but I like how seemingly innoocuous, unrelated events are starting to form a larger picture. I look forward to how this all pans out.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Very strange. And not suspicious at all. And probably has nothing to do with anything else in the game. Nope.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Oh wow, we're almost to a point where watching the prelude scene will make a degree of sense and not be a barely comprehensible pile of spoilers. Only took us one and a half playthroughs!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Every time I replay Valkyrie Profile, I tell myself I don't abuse Guts and Auto-Item for cheap invulnerability. Every time I get to the Hel Servant boss fight I eventually just say gently caress it and go for invincibility.

CmdrKing posted:

Oh wow, we're almost to a point where watching the prelude scene will make a degree of sense and not be a barely comprehensible pile of spoilers. Only took us one and a half playthroughs!

Has ApplesandOranges shown the prelude yet or are we still ignoring it because it's considered too spoilery, I'm not sure.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

a cartoon duck posted:

Has ApplesandOranges shown the prelude yet or are we still ignoring it because it's considered too spoilery, I'm not sure.

I get asked this a lot. The current plan is to show it off in Chapter 8. I'm going to ignore it otherwise unless I think there's a better point for it.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Glare Swords insta-kill enemies weak to Poison, not Light.

Also, I think there are three exits to the uh... stomach-like area in the Dark Tower, with each vessel dropping you to a different area of the dungeon.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I remember the first time somebody explained to me how to abuse all the transmutations. My jaw dropped when I discovered how much easier the game became once you started giving yourself Crimson Edges and Unicorn Horns.

Also, Claire fights pretty drat hard against Celia to be the most :smith: character.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Unicorn Horn is the most beautiful thing. Remember how Apples went through all of the "normal mode" run of the game with just Ether Scepters for his Grand Magic? This already obsoletes them, and we're only in chapter 4.

Don't think we're done yet, though. Ohhh, no. Just remember: Anything that Apples picked up in the last run that he said was "useless except for Materialize Points"? Chances are good that, now that we have the Creation Jewel, it will turn into something utterly ridiculous.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

You never made it to chapter 2?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

cdyoung posted:

You never made it to chapter 2?

I got distracted by other games and never came back. I think it may have been partly because I was put off by just how different the combat system was compared to VP1.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The combat system takes some getting used to, but it's reasonably fun once you figure it out. What put me off of VP2 compared to VP1 is that the primary protagonist is a whiny, pampered princess, literally! VP1 has you playing a goddess who gets poo poo done and doesn't complain about life being hard, while VP2 is the polar opposite.

I know it allows for more ~character development~ but dammit is it too much to ask for my JRPG protagonists to be competent and self-assured from the get-go? There's other ways to develop your character besides having them realize, hey, "I can do the thing that I've been doing for the past 30 hours of gameplay god shut up already."

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 20, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I got distracted by other games and never came back. I think it may have been partly because I was put off by just how different the combat system was compared to VP1.

Yeah I will be honest, this is what made me set VP2 down for around half a year before picking it up again and breezing right through it. If I recall correctly there was a guy who did LPs/tutorial videos for all Tri-Ace games on Gamefaqs and he made some really great videos explaining all the changes and how items had to be equipped in a specific way in order to power up your characters.

I still never cared for it after I beat it. The optional dungeon in that one I thought was rather bad as well along with that "other" dungeon mechanic which we won't name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Unfortunately Alicia doesn't actually endear herself to the player, and the plot flow has a lot of people being stupid for the sake of the plot. It does pick up after the halfway point though, at least in story.

• Locked thread