Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Yeah if the finger doesn't feel any better, see a doctor. Having a finger re-set was pretty drat painful.

I played 4 on 4 yesterday for around 2 hours, and it's really the ideal number to play pick-up, because there's less guys just standing around and being a post player, I actually got to post some people up, which I never really do in 5 on 5 because just getting an entry pass is such a headache. But I went to work yesterday in the block, and it was fun! I also had a game-winner, when our guy just threw a bullet pass under the rim, and I caught it and finished it while going out of bounds. I also finally got a pretty talented iso-heavy guy to realize how much easier his life is if he uses screens, as I was working hard to set him up with wide open 3's from the wings, and after one of our first games, he came up to me and was like "keep doing that!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mother fuckers that wave off your screen like it's some sort of unmanly way to play basketball piss me off.

Yeah sure, you're an iso-superstar, but you've gotten destroyed the last four times you tried careening past your guy. Just use my loving screen I set for you, dickweed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Doltos posted:

Mother fuckers that wave off your screen like it's some sort of unmanly way to play basketball piss me off.

Yeah sure, you're an iso-superstar, but you've gotten destroyed the last four times you tried careening past your guy. Just use my loving screen I set for you, dickweed.

I can't stand these guys. It's like telling your line not to block for you in football. It's the most fundamental play in the whole loving sport. It also works great in most pickup games.

I second 4 v 4 being the perfect game. The spacing is great compared to 5 on 5.

As for my finger, it did get better overnight. I can bend it to about 70% of the normal motion (slowly) before I feel any pain. I'm not in pain at all unless I bang it into something. I'm gonna give it another day and decide whether I need an X-ray or not. I have poo poo health insurance so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

BIZORT posted:

I broke a finger once and didn't bother to do anything about it since it's a finger and who cares about it, etc. It ended up turning green in the joint and the doctor said if I had waited much longer it would've had to have been amputated. It was broken in 14 different places. Go to the loving doctor.

Christ, I didn't know there were 14 places that you could break a finger. Do you have Kawhi Leonard fingers that are each a foot long with a bunch of extra bones and joints in them?

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 19, 2014

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The B_36 posted:

Christ, I didn't know there were 14 places that you could break a finger. Do you have Kawhi Leonard fingers that are each a too long with a bunch of extra bones and joints in them?

I have small hands for my height and the finger was my pinky. I wish I kept the x-ray.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

RCarr posted:

I can't stand these guys. It's like telling your line not to block for you in football. It's the most fundamental play in the whole loving sport. It also works great in most pickup games.

I second 4 v 4 being the perfect game. The spacing is great compared to 5 on 5.

As for my finger, it did get better overnight. I can bend it to about 70% of the normal motion (slowly) before I feel any pain. I'm not in pain at all unless I bang it into something. I'm gonna give it another day and decide whether I need an X-ray or not. I have poo poo health insurance so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I have done this to my fingers several times and while it looks like I have ET fingers from the knuckles being all swollen I haven't lost any range of motion with them so you'll probably be fine

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Yeah my right ring finger literally juts out the wrong way. I like to joke that it's what makes my triple oh so buttery. :) Part of the game i'm afraid.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea this finger was already pretty crooked, so I can't wait to see how it looks after this heals.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

My index fingers both curve inward from jamming and rejamming but other than that my hands are pretty much fine (and don't scare people). My ankles, on the other hand

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So I play regular pick up with a bunch of guys from my office. One of them is a guy who played some high school football but he's only like 5'7 and has pretty jacked muscles. These former football in my experience tend to be pretty raw in basketball talent but make up for it by being very physical and tenacious. Of course I'm a 5'6 asian guy so I have no physical advantages over him. So we play Wednesdays, and literally the week of the infamous Chalmer's elbow to Parker as he drove under the rim, we nearly re-enact the entire play except no foul was called and I didn't wind up on the ground clutching myself in pain.

He catches me square in the heart, and after like 2 seconds I feel this sharp pain just ring into my chest. The play continued where one of his teammates made a layup or something as I began walking and gasping in agony. Now I've grown used to not really calling fouls, especially offensive ones in pickup games. Would you guys have called that?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iamsosmrt posted:

So I play regular pick up with a bunch of guys from my office. One of them is a guy who played some high school football but he's only like 5'7 and has pretty jacked muscles. These former football in my experience tend to be pretty raw in basketball talent but make up for it by being very physical and tenacious. Of course I'm a 5'6 asian guy so I have no physical advantages over him. So we play Wednesdays, and literally the week of the infamous Chalmer's elbow to Parker as he drove under the rim, we nearly re-enact the entire play except no foul was called and I didn't wind up on the ground clutching myself in pain.

He catches me square in the heart, and after like 2 seconds I feel this sharp pain just ring into my chest. The play continued where one of his teammates made a layup or something as I began walking and gasping in agony. Now I've grown used to not really calling fouls, especially offensive ones in pickup games. Would you guys have called that?

I wouldn't call a foul but if he did it again I'd be like knock that poo poo off and if he proceeded to do it again I'd probably bro down

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I didn't get as upset as you might think since I had no reason to believe there was anything malicious behind it. Football guys tend to be pretty wild. But you're right, hit me once, accidents happen. Once patterns develop, you have to channel your inner Oakley and make sure it doesn't happen again.

As far as a question for practical advice, I typically play with a mix of guys from 21-40 (plus my boss who's a very fit 64). The mid 30 and 40 year-olds are attorneys who tend to play rather physical and relatively dirty defense. Grabs, elbows, shoulder checks, shoving their way through legal screens and my biggest bane--hacking in on-the-ball defense. I've never been the steadiest ball handler, and I generally don't like calling ticky tack fouls. Whenever these guys stick me, they tend to get up in my face, handcheck, and slap at the ball. There tends to be a good amount of physical contact they initiate. Flustered, I often respond by either passing the ball off pretty quick, rushing a shot, or turning it over altogether.

I feel like my only resort is to adjust to old-guy basketball, of which I'm not a big fan. What should I do? Call fouls, engage in physical warfare, or abstain from handling the ball altogether?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah I didn't get as upset as you might think since I had no reason to believe there was anything malicious behind it. Football guys tend to be pretty wild. But you're right, hit me once, accidents happen. Once patterns develop, you have to channel your inner Oakley and make sure it doesn't happen again.

As far as a question for practical advice, I typically play with a mix of guys from 21-40 (plus my boss who's a very fit 64). The mid 30 and 40 year-olds are attorneys who tend to play rather physical and relatively dirty defense. Grabs, elbows, shoulder checks, shoving their way through legal screens and my biggest bane--hacking in on-the-ball defense. I've never been the steadiest ball handler, and I generally don't like calling ticky tack fouls. Whenever these guys stick me, they tend to get up in my face, handcheck, and slap at the ball. There tends to be a good amount of physical contact they initiate. Flustered, I often respond by either passing the ball off pretty quick, rushing a shot, or turning it over altogether.

I feel like my only resort is to adjust to old-guy basketball, of which I'm not a big fan. What should I do? Call fouls, engage in physical warfare, or abstain from handling the ball altogether?

Work on your ball handling, learn to use your body and youthful athleticism to punish them for playing so aggressive. I find that dudes that play that way in pickup are usually overcompensating for being pretty deficient in other parts of their game, and they get discouraged if you just bull your way through them and score anyway.

Just don't get flustered and don't let them get under your skin, use your body and off arm to shield your dribble and slap them away if they try to reach and grab. Be patient and deliberate in your motions and they won't be that effective.

If you don't think you can adjust I guess you could try just playing off the ball and limiting yourself to spot-up/cutting on offense, but I know I'd rather make them bend to my style of play than the other way around

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
One thing that works well against bad handcheckers is a good spin move, if you learn to spin to both sides, the guy will never even sniff the ball(the hard thing is to figure what to do after the spin).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

I wave off screens if I'm trying to get it in to the guy in the post and just want the screener to get his loving defender away

e: The annoying thing I constantly seem to have to deal with is running over to set a screen and having my teammate see me and immediately give up his dribble for some reason

Or the guys who think the best way to pass the ball is to dribble over to you and pass it from two feet away

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 20, 2014

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Intruder posted:

e: The annoying thing I constantly seem to have to deal with is running over to set a screen and having my teammate see me and immediately give up his dribble for some reason

I have a friend who always insists on running point even though he can't dribble or shoot, and always does this even though he understands the value of setting a screen (and desperately needs one to get past his man.) Fortunately, it doesn't take long for him to admit how horrible he is and go back to working off the ball. Unfortunately, he doesn't try on defense or on the boards if he isn't getting constant touches.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Mandrel posted:

use your body and off arm to shield your dribble and slap them away if they try to reach and grab.

Is this actually legal to do? If it is then I've been missing this important piece of defense in my arsenal.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

danucleus posted:

Is this actually legal to do? If it is then I've been missing this important piece of defense in my arsenal.

It's not legal, nor are you able to use your off arm to really shield, but no one calls anything in pickup and in rec games no one even looks for that stuff

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

danucleus posted:

I mean it's totally not at all, but if the defender is hand-checking or hacking the poo poo out of you then it's fair game in my mind. It's pickup, it's not like there's a ref who's missing calls on the other guy but will whistle you. If they bitch about it, then they can learn to play defense or man up

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you call an offensive foul in the pick up games I play you will get laughed at pretty hard, not sure how it is in other places

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Mandrel posted:

Work on your ball handling, learn to use your body and youthful athleticism to punish them for playing so aggressive. I find that dudes that play that way in pickup are usually overcompensating for being pretty deficient in other parts of their game, and they get discouraged if you just bull your way through them and score anyway.

Just don't get flustered and don't let them get under your skin, use your body and off arm to shield your dribble and slap them away if they try to reach and grab. Be patient and deliberate in your motions and they won't be that effective.

If you don't think you can adjust I guess you could try just playing off the ball and limiting yourself to spot-up/cutting on offense, but I know I'd rather make them bend to my style of play than the other way around

Yeah I've been slowly re-developing my game over the past few months to adjust to the growing physicality. I feel like this could be how most guys transition into "old man ball" as I'm quickly approaching 30 this year.

It's hard to get used to using my off hand to shield and slap though. I've always played a rather "honorable" game and these tactics don't come instinctively.

Mandrel posted:

I mean it's totally not at all, but if the defender is hand-checking or hacking the poo poo out of you then it's fair game in my mind. It's pickup, it's not like there's a ref who's missing calls on the other guy but will whistle you. If they bitch about it, then they can learn to play defense or man up

I've had some issue with this in the past as well. Guys would keep their off hands out as shields and try to pre-emptively slap away any potential attempts to knock the ball away. One guy I've played with has integrated it into his offense where he's essentially handchecks you with his offhand to keep you at a distance to create space.

Sometimes I wish unbiased refs were magically available to officiate pickup games.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

rscott posted:

If you call an offensive foul in the pick up games I play you will get laughed at pretty hard, not sure how it is in other places
if its egregious we call it. some 250lb guy just barreled into me going to the rack before and everyone was just like "are you loving serious" and then he apologized and we got possession

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
You don't really have to use your off hand to actively slap defenders arms out of the way. Just having it out there will prevent most swipes from getting near the ball, and you can adjust your whole arm position to shield the ball better. If the defender gets a little too frisky with his hands, then not only is he reaching in on your body, but he's smacking your arm as well, so you can feel good about calling a foul on that if he pokes the ball loose. If he just reaches in without your arm there, then a lot of guys will roll their eyes if you call a foul on it. The arm in the way makes it super obvious that he's mugging you to steal the ball.

And if you're 5'6 and playing against mostly older guys, then you better drat well work on your ball handling more. Its the one advantage short guys have on the court, the quickness to get around guys with the dribble. Take advantage of it.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 20, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

rscott posted:

Someone called an off the ball foul yesterday on game point. drat there was a lot of arguing following that.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I was almost used to the old man game before my back and ankle gave up again, the gist of it is that everyone has their own way of playing and won't really adjust, so you have to play around it. I mostly don't have any issues other than that time some military old guy double-legged me, but I sprawled out of it so it's fine.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The B_36 posted:

You don't really have to use your off hand to actively slap defenders arms out of the way. Just having it out there will prevent most swipes from getting near the ball, and you can adjust your whole arm position to shield the ball better. If the defender gets a little too frisky with his hands, then not only is he reaching in on your body, but he's smacking your arm as well, so you can feel good about calling a foul on that if he pokes the ball loose. If he just reaches in without your arm there, then a lot of guys will roll their eyes if you call a foul on it. The arm in the way makes it super obvious that he's mugging you to steal the ball.

And if you're 5'6 and playing against mostly older guys, then you better drat well work on your ball handling more. Its the one advantage short guys have on the court, the quickness to get around guys with the dribble. Take advantage of it.

Unfortunatly I'm still working on my mobility. My knees are poo poo and I've never been the fastest guy. My niche has mostly been setting good screens and being an above average outside shooter.

Because of power lifting, I'm a fairly stockly, muscular guy. Speed is not much of an advantage. However, I've never learned to take advantage of using my frame to drive around/through people.

If I'm lucky, I can sorta become a pickup version of Andre Miller.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Yep, number 1 with a percentage of over 200, stand aside fellow rec league try hards :smug:

(our league is terrible)

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I'm not sure if this has been done, but what are your guys' "house rules" for 21? I play tips go down to 0 and are worth 2, until you hit 13 and then tips send you back to 13. If no one challenges you on a tip, you may try as many times as you want as long as you are in the air each time. If you tip someone else's tip, you tip them and not the original shooter. Some people play tips are +2 -2, and 3 knocks you out completely, that sounds like nonsense and I'm curious if anyone else plays that way.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Brolander posted:

I'm not sure if this has been done, but what are your guys' "house rules" for 21? I play tips go down to 0 and are worth 2, until you hit 13 and then tips send you back to 13. If no one challenges you on a tip, you may try as many times as you want as long as you are in the air each time. If you tip someone else's tip, you tip them and not the original shooter. Some people play tips are +2 -2, and 3 knocks you out completely, that sounds like nonsense and I'm curious if anyone else plays that way.

We play almost the same way, except if a player misses a tip, nobody can tip it in (if they do they just get the ball up top.) The weirdest thing my group does is you have to take the ball past the three point line after every rebound, even if it's an airball (because when someone else blocks a shot and it falls in your hands for an open layup that's kind of dumb.) We also shoot free throws from the FT line instead of the 3 point line because most of my group can't shoot 3s.

Edit: Also our tips are not worth points or free throws. If you tip in a shot, the other player drops to 13 or 0 and you get the ball back up top.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tips are bullshit IMO it rewards people who just vulture around the basket and play no defense

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Intruder posted:

Tips are bullshit IMO it rewards people who just vulture around the basket and play no defense

True. We usually reward excellent defense. If a player gets a strong block, it's not uncommon for whoever winds up with the ball to just give it to the defender out of respect. Lazy people who try to cherry pick tips also usually can't score, won't win, and will face relentless defense the entire game.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I never play defense in tips/21, it's not worth it.

The rules my friends play with are:
-11 is safe, any tips after that send you back to 11
-Only one chance to tip
-Don't need to take it back
-1 handed tips knock you out and to get back in, you have to catch an airball
-Free throws from the free throw line
We are also the only people in Missouri who call the game Tips and not 21 apparently.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hated playing 21 because none of the assholes I used to play it with ever wanted to play defense and there was one dude who would just drain any and every uncontested shot you gave him, so I'd go out and stop him and of course that meant I never got the rebound

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Do you guys ever play Lightning?

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Politicalrancor posted:

Do you guys ever play Lightning?

I only play Lightning when I'm with friends who don't really play basketball. It's definitely more fun for people who don't know the rules of basketball or aren't athletic/coordinated enough to be anything other than a huge hindrance on a team. I avoid it, but usually have fun when I do play it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I had no idea what you were talking about so I had to look it up. I always called it Knockout

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I play tips have to be one handed. Anything other than that has to be taken back to the 3 point line. If you get blocked its -5 points.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Our rules for 21 are FTs are worth 1, all other shots are worth 2. Both your feet have to be off the ground for it to count as a tip and it brings you back to 0 no matter what your score is. Anyone can be tipped if they take a shot (tipping off of other players' tips is allowed). If you make 3 free throws in a row you have to take a contested shot. You have to make at least one free throw in your last possession to win (e.g if you have 19 and make a jump shot/tip you have to sink a ft to win) and if you miss a FT at 20 you're back down to 13 again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hm, never did the "have to win with a FT" thing. I was awful at FTs as a kid so whenever I had 19 I would just badly airball it on purpose or slam it off the backboard to bounce it back to myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

AU how did the tourney go?

• Locked thread