Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

beepo posted:

Rescue. It was found by a coworker's son near a recycling plant covered in dirt and grime. They cleaned him up and brought him in today.

Shame in a way. I was hoping that 'Bring a kitten to work' day was a thing somewhere in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Angrymog posted:

Shame in a way. I was hoping that 'Bring a kitten to work' day was a thing somewhere in the world.

I would love to bring my cat to work it would interrupt anybody trying to talk to me.

Hey <meow> rain <meow> did <meow> you <meow> get <meow> th<meow> god dammit <meow> th<meow> you know what, forget <meow> it.

Good kitty.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Catmouflage. :3:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zero Star posted:

Catmouflage. :3:

Khan enjoys that game, too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Hahah just when I was about to post WHERE's THE CAT I saw it :3

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Took my cats to the vet yesterday to get their vaccines. Want to see a big tough cat cry pathetically in his carrier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW96yNhmYPY

Not pictured: the claw marks with radiating bruises on my arms. He didn't attack me, he just gripped tightly onto me when I tried to put him in the carrier. That cat is 12 lbs, 4 oz of pure muscle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I find the best trick is to hide the open carrier around a corner where they can't see it, pick them up, and then run them around and 'surprise!' and shove them in before they even know what's happened or realise it's there.

I still have a few scars, though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just make the carrier veritcal, pick your cat up and put him/her inside. Once inside close lid and slowly put the carrier back on it's base. That or do what my mom did with dropping a towel on one of the cats, pick it up and put it into the carrier with the towel. I don't know if the cat was paralyzed with fear, excited to play hide and seek or just not caring but it worked.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

I find the best trick is to hide the open carrier around a corner where they can't see it, pick them up, and then run them around and 'surprise!' and shove them in before they even know what's happened or realise it's there.

I still have a few scars, though.

My last cat found the carrier utterly abhorrent and was absolutely impossible to get into it. I had to take it apart, pick him up, hold him down in the base of it, and reassemble the goddamned thing around him with one hand. He'd figure out what was going on really quickly. Let me tell you, vet trips were a wonderful experience with that cat.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My last cat found the carrier utterly abhorrent and was absolutely impossible to get into it. I had to take it apart, pick him up, hold him down in the base of it, and reassemble the goddamned thing around him with one hand. He'd figure out what was going on really quickly. Let me tell you, vet trips were a wonderful experience with that cat.

Ah, yes.....that's exactly what I had to do the last time.

Yesterday I was lucky that I had my dad to help me, because I had tried the "put the carrier on its side and drop the cat into it" and the little dude just wasn't having it. The next time I have to put him in there by myself I'm going to do the towel trick.

These are my two cats in happier times, 2 seconds before a playfight broke out --

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
My cat would actually seek out the carrier because he liked to chill in it. :shrug:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Irradiation posted:

My cat would actually seek out the carrier because he liked to chill in it. :shrug:

Our cats chill in ours if it sits around the house, but they freak the hell out whenever you try to put one of them in for a vet visit.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
Aww no, this is making me sad. My cat is 'end of life' ill and all this talk of upset kitties going to the vet is making me unhappy. Post more pictures of kitties, preferably lounging around in the sunlight.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Irradiation posted:

Here's how I get my cat into her carrier:

1. Throw ball of paper into it.
2. Close door behind her.

Works every time.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Tibor posted:

Aww no, this is making me sad. My cat is 'end of life' ill and all this talk of upset kitties going to the vet is making me unhappy. Post more pictures of kitties, preferably lounging around in the sunlight.

Not every cat hates the vet. And when it's for compassionate euthanasia, pretty much every vet and technician I've ever seen is extra kind and gentle.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

I think the best part of this image is that the cat isn't even trying to hide.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Same cat, different day.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My friend's cat Nubs. He is tired of your shenanigans.

Apparently the nokia he uses as a cell doesn't take great pics :(

Still, hilarious to me, because this was about 10 seconds after he went to go get something to drink and came back to "What? You moved. Mine now."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tooo hooootttt

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
My carrier trick is to put it out the night before with a fave blankie in it. The last time Henry Cat had a check up, I basically just had to shut the door. He was already in there napping on his blankie.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geolicious posted:

My carrier trick is to put it out the night before with a fave blankie in it. The last time Henry Cat had a check up, I basically just had to shut the door. He was already in there napping on his blankie.

*wakes up from a nap in the Vet's office*

"Ohh....not again!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nubs doesn't have a carrier, but he's a giant 14lb cat. He just has one of those medium sized PETA cages from wal mart that collapse down.

He hates getting into it, but man when he's at the vet he HATES when people try to take him out. That's his place and if you want in you have to pay the cover fee in blood.

That or he just understands what happens when his temp gets taken and that poo poo is not cool.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nubs doesn't have a carrier, but he's a giant 14lb cat. He just has one of those medium sized PETA cages from wal mart that collapse down.

He hates getting into it, but man when he's at the vet he HATES when people try to take him out. That's his place and if you want in you have to pay the cover fee in blood.

That or he just understands what happens when his temp gets taken and that poo poo is not cool.

Yeah, well, as soon as they learn to hold a thermometer under their tongues...

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Gouda decided to sit still for a moment, well, she decided to not be asleep for a moment.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

*wakes up from a nap in the Vet's office*

"Ohh....not again!"

I wish it went *that* well. But, getting the door closed is, like, 75% of the battle for my guys. They usually aren't too bad at the vet's. The worst Henry ever was was when he was injured earlier this year, so he gets a pass.

Crate rest was rough.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Geolicious posted:

I can do this with my cat as well; he is pretty chill about going to the vet, they love how calm he is.

In other news, this cat is the best cat :

quote:

Captain kraughter - a resident of a Russian heavy atomic battlecruiser “Pyotr Velikiy”

:3: :black101:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

You guys do realize that they make cat carriers that open from the top. Just open it up, plop the cat in, and close it. No real trouble at all.

Hell, if you just leave it open, a cat will get curious enough to go in on their own, usually.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DicktheCat posted:

You guys do realize that they make cat carriers that open from the top. Just open it up, plop the cat in, and close it. No real trouble at all.

Hell, if you just leave it open, a cat will get curious enough to go in on their own, usually.

Yep, they're awesome. Fair warning, though: open-top carriers aren't allowed to travel on some airlines. If you're flying somewhere with a critter that's going to be in the hold instead of the cabin, make drat sure your carrier is approved.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DicktheCat posted:

HAH. Yeah, the cat will in no way splay their legs out so that you can't force them in, grab the edge and use them to lever out of your grip, and then escape and not be seen for hours.

Similar to their strategy at the vets after they arrive where they splay out and grip either side of the door from the inside so that you can't get them out even by upending the carrier and shaking it.

...Misty did not like the vet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Sometimes, no matter what you do, no matter what sort of fancy carrier technology has been invented recently, the only solution is to disassemble the carrier and rebuild it around the cat.

Sorry cat, but I have screwdrivers and thumbs. I will win this war.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes, no matter what you do, no matter what sort of fancy carrier technology has been invented recently, the only solution is to disassemble the carrier and rebuild it around the cat.

I have a carrier that just clips the top to the bottom so if you need to take it apart its fairly easy.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I thought the answer was always

1. Treat

2. SURPRISE!

3. Shove in carrier and zip it closed before the furry little head can bust through

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My cat carrier has clips on the side, makes it really easy to pull this off. Set the base down with a treat and the wire gate in place, put the top on, snap shut. Cat realizes they're trapped about 15 seconds after you're done.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
I have never had a cat that didn't make at least some fuss about being put in its carrier (or a cat that would get into it on its own, for any money). It helps a lot if you have an assistant - you cram the cat in (gently of course, gentle cramming so as not to hurt the little angel) and the moment you whip your hands out your assistant dives in and secures the lid/gate/whatever.
This leads me to wonder about Maru, renowned for his love of leaping into boxes. Do you think he leaps into his carrier too?
Anyway here's a cat with a bubble wig.

Many fine cat pictures may be had by following mostlycatsmostly.tumblr.com.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
Saturn knows the crate means one of two things; the vet or 3 hour road trip to stay with my dad.

She's very docile and affectionate so she just whines at the injustice of it all, but she can be tricky to get in there. When I worked at a cattery, we used the technique of putting the carrier door up, holding the cat so the butt went in first, back legs held together, while holding the scruff. Release legs, close door while removing other hand. You can put a towel over the opening so you're basically dropping them into a dumpling wrapper and they can't get you quickly.

Sweet, lovable princess in action. She is the reason I can't leave anything resembling a bag out. She will piss in it. In the last two years she has lovingly labelled (1) Victorinox backpack that I got for my 18th and saw me through uni, my (1) and only laptop back and (1) scooting dufflebag that was full of diving gear. Thanks for pissing on my snorkel cat.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Gilbert is utterly impossible to get into a carrier so I just put a harness on him and throw him in the car like that for vet visits. By the time we pull into the parking lot, he's so terrified that he willingly climbs into the carrier to hide. I win, rear end in a top hat.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Radio! posted:

Gilbert is utterly impossible to get into a carrier so I just put a harness on him and throw him in the car like that for vet visits. By the time we pull into the parking lot, he's so terrified that he willingly climbs into the carrier to hide. I win, rear end in a top hat.

Is he winking in this photo or is he a cool pirate cat with one eye?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dove from Above posted:

Is he winking in this photo or is he a cool pirate cat with one eye?

Cool pirate cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
One time we took my cat to the vet and when the vet was done examining her she walked right into the carrier without hesitation. "Yep I'm done here."

For content, said cat and her brother: