Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

"El Border."

Not only are those babies probably not old enough enough to read Spanish, now you put half the sign in English? No wonder they keep coming over they just don't understand that signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
This one has a point - the name "Redskins" may be worse than the name "Indians", but Chief Wahoo is WAY loving worse than the Washington logo.

quote:

Oliphant continues to be a racist poo poo I see.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kakairo posted:

That doesn't make the gerrymandering in Illinois any better than other states. I would love a constitutional amendment requiring independent redistricting boards for all states, but there's no chance of that happening any time soon.

I wasn't saying it's good and I'd love independent redistricting boards for all states. I was replying to the "both sides are equal" sort of argument.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Heller is writing to us from Rall's bizarro dystopian world where contraband is sold via commercial retail.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Another example of "I assume my readers will just hate these adorable children!!! HOW COULD THEY LIKE MEXICAN CHILDREN"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Irradiation posted:

Not only are those babies probably not old enough enough to read Spanish, now you put half the sign in English? No wonder they keep coming over they just don't understand that signs.

La Frontera is also a feminine noun, but it's no surprise that a racist doesn't know poo poo.

Mister Adequate posted:

quote:

Well that's certainly a refreshingly forward and honest style of racism, if nothing else.

Wait, this wasn't an ironic mockery of imperialism? :wtc:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't think you get the point of all this.

I'm just wondering who was buying official Redskins merchandise let alone knockoff Redskins merchandise.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I'm just wondering who was buying official Redskins merchandise let alone knockoff Redskins merchandise.

Racists?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

This is actually really clever. :golfclap:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

El Scotch posted:

I'm getting a distinct anti-Israel vibe here...
Yes. But then they lost the war. I think that was :thejoke:

Kakairo posted:

That doesn't make the gerrymandering in Illinois any better than other states. I would love a constitutional amendment requiring independent redistricting boards for all states, but there's no chance of that happening any time soon.

Only these organisations wouldn't be independent either, really we just need to remove districts all together.
And so they changed their name. A the-loving-point cartoon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

This one has a point - the name "Redskins" may be worse than the name "Indians", but Chief Wahoo is WAY loving worse than the Washington logo.

Which is why the Indians have been phasing him out and removing him from the uniforms and poo poo.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I can kind of see his point here. Even if the redskin trademark has been cancelled, it hardly seems fair that everybody is now able to copy the logo and make money of it, despite the work coming from somebody else. If only there was a right against copies of works, but alas, not in America.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

I don't know, they do have some long-time fans. This is purely anecdotal, but some of them are just embarrassed by the name and want them to hurry up and change it so they'll stop being laughed at.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

80-90% of Virginia?

It's everywhere here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Actual fans of the team

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A UVA Cartoon.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Which is why the Indians have been phasing him out and removing him from the uniforms and poo poo.

It's sad that even though they want to dump it, America is so racist that the team is afraid of a big backlash against them and against Native Americans, they feel like they just have to slowly drop it and hope no one notices and eventually forgets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

It's sad that even though they want to dump it, America is so racist that the team is afraid of a big backlash against them and against Native Americans, they feel like they just have to slowly drop it and hope no one notices and eventually forgets.

Uh no it's more because changing a logo and mascot of an MLB team is actually a pretty huge project that involves tons of time and money and they have to do it between seasons and poo poo.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Wait, only four rabid dogs? Where's the fifth, Glenn? Gettin' a bit lazy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Uh no it's more because changing a logo and mascot of an MLB team is actually a pretty huge project that involves tons of time and money and they have to do it between seasons and poo poo.

Uh yes.
In fact, they won't even admit they're phasing him out.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Off-panel: a giant monster labeled "debt" is snatching up Obama's security detail :ohdear:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

I think the point is that by any objective standard gerrymandering benefits Republicans, and is overwhelmingly conducted by Republicans rather than Democrats. Framing it as a non-partisan issue basically reduces it to a both sides do it false equivalence. It's misleading and lets the Rs off the hook.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Speaking of refreshingly direct racism...

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Monkey Fracas posted:

Another example of "I assume my readers will just hate these adorable children!!! HOW COULD THEY LIKE MEXICAN CHILDREN"

This cartoon is a Pied Piper reference, right? In the original story, wasn't the piper using his music to round up a rat infestation for drowning? :stare:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Love the making GBS threads on Africa for no good reason.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

maou shoujo posted:

This cartoon is a Pied Piper reference, right? In the original story, wasn't the piper using his music to round up a rat infestation for drowning? :stare:

Either A) he didn't bother to logically carry out the metaphor or B) he did and his dream is that Obama drowns all the children. Neither is very reassuring.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

maou shoujo posted:

Yes. But then the citizens of Hameln didn't pay him and he took his revenge by using his music to lead the children away never to be seen again. There is no indication that he drowned those children, by the way.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

maou shoujo posted:

Even better, at the end of the story the Pied Piper does use his pipe to round up all the children of Hamlen and leads them away and no one ever sees them again. Obama - getting rid of immigrant children?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Hat posted:

Even better, at the end of the story the Pied Piper does use his pipe to round up all the children of Hamlen and leads them away and no one ever sees them again. Obama - getting rid of immigrant children?

He never does say which direction they're going in the cartoon...

Obama, merciless deporter of foreign children!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

He never does say which direction they're going in the cartoon...

Obama, merciless deporter of foreign children!

There was that Rob Smith Jr piece earlier comparing immigration to human trafficking. I think we've discovered the new talking point on this issue. :v:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Has Obama even commented on the Redskins, or is this Lester doing another example of "Government did something ergo OBAMA."

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Has Obama even commented on the Redskins, or is this Lester doing another example of "Government did something ergo OBAMA."

Lester is doing another example of listening to Rush Limbaugh's show to get ideas for his cartoons.

Obama did comment on it back in October though, basically just said that Snyder should consider changing it.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Randler posted:

I can kind of see his point here. Even if the redskin trademark has been cancelled, it hardly seems fair that everybody is now able to copy the logo and make money of it, despite the work coming from somebody else. If only there was a right against copies of works, but alas, not in America.
That is a point, and maybe even a valid one, but that's not the point Heller is trying to make. He's saying "by trying to stop the use of racist imagery, you have allowed it to proliferate!" which is just dumb bullshit.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

maou shoujo posted:

Conservative cartoonists are really bad at using media references.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

maou shoujo posted:

And then, when the people of Hameln refused to pay him for the rat clearing, he used his flute to lead their children away to an unknown fate. In other words, what did Mexico do to snub Obama enough to make him lead away all their children?

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Glad to see Uncle Sam playing the part in Glenn McCoy's cartoons that Lady Liberty plays in Kelly's.

Careful Glenn, that's a powerful image...don't want to overuse it.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

loquacius posted:

There was that Rob Smith Jr piece earlier comparing immigration to human trafficking. I think we've discovered the new talking point on this issue. :v:

Nah calling illegal immigrants and even loving asylum seekers like those that Australia has been receiving "human traffickers" is the go-to conservative buzzword to frame the issue now. "We don't hate foreigners we just we're just tryng to protect them from international trafficking rings".

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wow, my goodwill toward McCoy over that birthday card he drew for his son is vanishing all of a sudden!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"...and we've hired a terrible cartoonist named Michael Ramirez to convince them we'll have nukes any day now."

• Locked thread