Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Happy Hedonist posted:

I was specifically thinking fiction so I didn't include Hitchens in my list, but in retrospect he should be in there. Letters to a Young Contrarian hosed my world up. I've been meaning to read Fenton for years now.
I was just completing the coterie. And I could've included Bellow since Hitchens and Amis admired him greatly and met him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iamblikhos posted:

"If on a winter's night a traveler" or "The Baron in the Trees" perhaps?

Cosmicomics might also be a good starting point; the short stories in there really capture his style.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Invisible Cities is really awesome. Just don't go in looking for a narrative, just appreciate the writing and the ideas.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Chamberk posted:

Invisible Cities is really awesome. Just don't go in looking for a narrative, just appreciate the writing and the ideas.

that's my favorite one of his. the only reason i didn't list it is that we were asked for a good place to begin and it strikes me as not everyone's cup of tea

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

It was my first Calvino and actually the only one I've read. I'm planning on reading "If On A Winter's Night A Traveler..." sometime soon.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
If people are looking for something modern and reminiscent of Calvino, you could do worse than read "The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards" by Kristopher Jansma.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Martin Amis is one of my favorites and I've yet to see him mentioned. I recommend Money, London Fields, and Time's Arrow: Or the Nature of the Offence. Time's Arrow is a fantastic read and could probably be considered sci-fi to some extent considering the narrator is traveling backwards through time.

RealTalk: Imo Martin Amis is one of our two or threw greatest living novelists & London Fields is a better book than Infinite Jest. I don't know why goons aren't over Amis' dick: he's unbearably snobby, has terrible teeth, is a turbo-feminist-social-justice-nerd who is simultaneously obessed with machismo and male violence, writes about fat miserable sacks of poo poo coming to their inevitable tragic ends(like E/N), & passionately hates all popular things that aren't pub sports or board games. He's like the goon Moses.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

RealTalk: Imo Martin Amis is one of our two or threw greatest living novelists & London Fields is a better book than Infinite Jest. I don't know why goons aren't over Amis' dick: he's unbearably snobby, has terrible teeth, is a turbo-feminist-social-justice-nerd who is simultaneously obessed with machismo and male violence, writes about fat miserable sacks of poo poo coming to their inevitable tragic ends(like E/N), & passionately hates all popular things that aren't pub sports or board games. He's like the goon Moses.

If the anti-"literature" goons in this thread came up with a really mean-spirited parody of a "literary" author it would look exactly like Martin Amis. Also apart from being a massive pseud he likes to go off about Muslims so that's not going to fly with D&D.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

RealTalk: Imo Martin Amis is one of our two or threw greatest living novelists & London Fields is a better book than Infinite Jest.
There's a handsome hardcover of London Fields coming out this November.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 17, 2017

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Read the first couple of pages and it looks awesome. Real talk: this thread has already added more books to my to-read list than any other one in TBB.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Mike Gallego posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on Beowulf? I personally enjoyed it in the various classes that had me read it, and think a lot of goons would too.

Part of me wants to learn Old English just to read it in that. The other part of me is sane.

The Seamus Heaney translation is quite good.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Clipperton posted:

If the anti-"literature" goons in this thread came up with a really mean-spirited parody of a "literary" author it would look exactly like Martin Amis. Also apart from being a massive pseud he likes to go off about Muslims so that's not going to fly with D&D.

A few years ago a reviewer described one of Amis's novels as being "as bad as catching your favorite uncle on a kindergarten playground masturbating". Don't know how fair it is, but there you go.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That was Tibor Fischer's review of Yellow Dog. It ran on the Telegraph's leader pages, and it made fun of the title. I remembered there being a row about it, but I just looked on Wikipedia and apparently he was so upset with its reception he moved to Uruguay for two years. Good stuff.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

Yeah, but the new poo poo isn't narrative. Someone needs to get on writing a modern epic poem

There's always Toby Barlow's brilliant Sharp Teeth, though really that's just a longform prose poem.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Grant's autobiography is way more literary than anything all these poser writers ever wrote.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

I like Martin Amis but you do speak the truth. Martin Amis is the prototype author for like every bad snobby literature stereotype.

I like that we've somehow made it to page 8 of this thread and still no mention of any female authors besides Jane Austen and my own offering of The Accursed. Plus, Cormac McCarthy (and Italo Calvino), lol. Oh goons, you never change! Since everyone loves Po-Mo so much I'll bring up the inimitable A.S. Byatt and her Booker Prize winning novel Possession. Most of Byatt's stuff is amazing, but Possession is her crowning jewel and appears on a lot of top 100 novels lists, most famously the one from Time Magazine.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Hey, I brought up Ursula K. LeGuin. Margaret Atwood is pretty great too. And if we're talking 19th century literature, I think the best book of that century is Middlemarch. Which was written by a woman under a man's name: Mary Ann Evans, as George Eliot.

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 21, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Everyone should read Virginia Woolf, probably starting with Mrs. Dalloway. It's more or less Woolf's attempt to beat James Joyce at his own game -- following her reaction to Ulysses, which depending on who you ask fell somewhere between grudging respect and outright loathing -- and arguably she succeeds.

Plus literary feuds aside the language is beautiful and I can't name a single book that left me with a greater sense of well-being after I was finished.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Of course, how could I forget Woolf? Dalloway is definitely my favorite, but To the Lighthouse and Orlando are wonderful as well.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Chamberk posted:

Hey, I brought up Ursula K. LeGuin. Margaret Atwood is pretty great too. And if we're talking 19th century literature, I think the best book of that century is Middlemarch. Which was written by a woman under a man's name: Mary Ann Evans, as George Eliot.

Yes, Margaret Atwood is amazing and should blow up as huge as that Dragon lemoncake dude once Darren Aronofsky's adaptation of the MaddAddam trilogy makes it to HBO. I'm very excited about that. There's so many fantastic modern literary female authors that should be read and discussed more in TBB, like Doris Lessing (who unfortunately passed away last year), Jeanette Winterson, Francine Prose, Penelope Fitzgerald, Donna Tartt (who actually gets mentioned a lot since Goldfinch blew up last yr). I also love Marguerite Duras though she passed away some time ago.

I did a count of the books I did last year and surprisingly I'm about even between male and female authors, I think that's pretty rare on peoples' reading lists though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Everyone, please read Gertrude Stein so you can learn what a rose is

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
For whatever it's worth, my go to recommendation for people who don't read a lot is Nineteen Eighty-Four. It's short, it's a classic, well written and the themes are very relevant despite that the book was written almost 70 years ago.

I sometimes recommend "Three Men in a Boat" as well, even though I don't think it's very good.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Walh Hara posted:

For whatever it's worth, my go to recommendation for people who don't read a lot is Nineteen Eighty-Four. It's short, it's a classic, well written and the themes are very relevant despite that the book was written almost 70 years ago.

I sometimes recommend "Three Men in a Boat" as well, even though I don't think it's very good.

I personally think that Orwell is a better essayist and short story writer than a novelist. I personally believe that Politics and the English Language is the best essay of the 20th century.

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004
It is pretty sad how few women have been mentioned so far, so I'll throw in recommendations for Donna Tartt's The Secret History and Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace. The Secret History is even better than The Goldfinch (which was also pretty great), as it's no small feat to take a novel ostensibly about a weird ancient Greek study group at a small liberal arts college in Vermont and spin it into an insane murder/suspense/conspiracy thriller that's paced and plotted like any of Hitchcock's best films; seriously, it's a literary work as entertaining and suspenseful as watching North by Northwest for the first time. Alias Grace is taken from a historical incident in 19th century Toronto where a woman was tried for murdering a man she was serving and his housekeeper. She was convicted and sentenced to 30 years in jail, while her alleged lover (who was tried along with her, and may have been her kidnapper) was put to death, but the details of the case against her are bizarre and the novel is focused on her life and fundamental questions about her sanity and whether or not she was actually guilty. It's somewhat slow moving at first but if you take the time to really get drawn into it the book has endless layers of ambiguity and depth, where every chapter adds a new detail that makes you rethink everything that came before it.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

A good short story written by a woman is Flannery O'Connor's Good Country People, as well as, of course, Shirley Jackson's The Lottery and Charlotte Perkins Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper

All fairly well known, but for a reason, as they're solid reads and not very time-consuming as they're short stories

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

I personally believe that Politics and the English Language is the best essay of the 20th century.

really? how come?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

k-uno posted:

It is pretty sad how few women have been mentioned so far, so I'll throw in recommendations for Donna Tartt's The Secret History and Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace. The Secret History is even better than The Goldfinch (which was also pretty great), as it's no small feat to take a novel ostensibly about a weird ancient Greek study group at a small liberal arts college in Vermont and spin it into an insane murder/suspense/conspiracy thriller that's paced and plotted like any of Hitchcock's best films; seriously, it's a literary work as entertaining and suspenseful as watching North by Northwest for the first time. Alias Grace is taken from a historical incident in 19th century Toronto where a woman was tried for murdering a man she was serving and his housekeeper. She was convicted and sentenced to 30 years in jail, while her alleged lover (who was tried along with her, and may have been her kidnapper) was put to death, but the details of the case against her are bizarre and the novel is focused on her life and fundamental questions about her sanity and whether or not she was actually guilty. It's somewhat slow moving at first but if you take the time to really get drawn into it the book has endless layers of ambiguity and depth, where every chapter adds a new detail that makes you rethink everything that came before it.

The Secret History is one of my favourite books although I haven't read anything else by Tartt. The university atmosphere is so vivid and very recognisable - even though the university I went to was nothing like that, there's a universality of student life to it, and the tragic aspect of the story is wonderful. I really like the Atwood I've read so far too, but that's just been Handmaid's Tale, Oryx and Crake, and Year of the Flood so far. I haven't tried her less sci-fi stuff yet; I should get on some of that once I've cleared my current backlog.

For other female authors who haven't been mentioned yet, Ali Smith is fantastic. Both her novels and short stories are worth reading - she has a great grasp of understated human relationships playing out on the page with an economy of language and a lot of wit. The Accidental is a good starting point, or There But For The. Also AL Kennedy, of whose work I've only read some short stories so far but they're incredible. I saw her read out one of her stories at a literary festival recently and she had the entire audience in fits of laughter - she does stand-up comedy, apparently, or used to, and she certainly has the stage presence for it based on that reading. The most mundane story about an unsatisfactory first date (told in the second person, which is definitely out of the ordinary) turned out to be a hilarious (and poignant) bit of writing.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Banana Yoshimoto is good, specifically Kitchen. Her pen name is motherfucking "Banana" how could you go wrong?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Back to poetry, Anne Sexton is amazing. Check out Love Poems.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

k-uno posted:

The Secret History is one of my favorite books of all time. There's a reason why, over 20 years later, books still come out with a blurb proclaiming that it's the next 'The Secret History'. Always chasing that high, never quite making it! I haven't read The Goldfinch yet, mostly because I know I'll compare it to The Secret History and I'm worried it'll disappoint. I remember when The Little Friend came out and I hated the ending.

Interesting anecdote about Donna Tartt, when she was writing The Secret History, she was dating Bret Easton Ellis, who was writing Less Than Zero at the same time.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
By the way, to be fair to The Book Barn at large, during my lurking days it did convince me to read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy and Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (which are both seriously good books which should be read, even if they are kind of off the beaten path and hard to read at times). So the place isn't a complete quagmire of wizards and weird loving :shobon:

That said, if you want a good gateway between comic book nerd poo poo and honest to God Literature, The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz is a fantastic place to start. I would pretty much reccomend this book to anyone who is eschewing the good stuff for genre fiction because it plays off a working knowledge of it to create a work that's legitimately profound and thought-provoking.

e: there is also a lot of stuff that is genre fiction that is legitimately good work, like a lot of Kurt Vonnegut's stuff (Cat's Cradle is my reccomendation) and the original Dune book. But I'll hush on that front to minimize the risk of making GBS threads up a good thread.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 22, 2014

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004

Poutling posted:

The Secret History is one of my favorite books of all time. There's a reason why, over 20 years later, books still come out with a blurb proclaiming that it's the next 'The Secret History'. Always chasing that high, never quite making it! I haven't read The Goldfinch yet, mostly because I know I'll compare it to The Secret History and I'm worried it'll disappoint. I remember when The Little Friend came out and I hated the ending.

Interesting anecdote about Donna Tartt, when she was writing The Secret History, she was dating Bret Easton Ellis, who was writing Less Than Zero at the same time.

The Goldfinch is worth it; I didn't love it as much as The Secret History-- though it would have been hard for me to, as I went to a weird liberal arts college where all the students took a year of greco-roman humanities, and "Hippocleides doesn't care" was and may still be an actual saying on campus-- but it was pretty great. A lot of people have described it as a modern day Dickens or Twain, following the exploits of an orphaned "artful dodger" as he schemes and flails his way through life, and that's not a totally unfair comparison. While it doesn't have the sort of atmosphere that The Secret History does, it's a pretty engaging story and the way Tartt walks a fine line between making you want the protagonist to win at all costs while finding him fundamentally repellant and disgraceful is masterful.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

e: there is also a lot of stuff that is genre fiction that is legitimately good work, like a lot of Kurt Vonnegut's stuff
Murakami too, his books are very good bridge from genre to real literature. Then Jonathan Franzen or something. At least that path worked for me.
Maybe not the coolest stuff out there, but moving from GRRM to Pynchon, Wallace and stuff like that is quite a leap..

I don't think fantasy is only for teens though, one of the most elitist readers I can think of, Harold Bloom, reads fantasy and has even written crappy fantasy book himself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Wait, Harold Bloom wrote a fantasy novel?

I have to see this. :allears:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wait, Harold Bloom wrote a fantasy novel?

I have to see this. :allears:

Michael Chabon wrote a barbarian-sword-buddies novel that's kindof interesting, Gentlemen of the Road. Apparently the working title was "Jews with Swords."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In my high school English classes we read stuff like Of Mice and Men and The Crucible etc.

Basically stuff about how loving lovely it is to live in America. It was all pretty cool but I was one of a very small group of people who wasn't bored to tears.

Then in college we read Emma which was great - it was pretty cool reading something actually written during a period of history that is associated with proper manners and class being about how everyone is a terrible person and just as big a load of assholes as everyone today, they just used more flowery language to show their disdain of each other.

Tolkien also loving sucks, even more so given that he's inflicted the world with more lovely knockoffs than a Chinese sweatshop.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Michael Chabon wrote a barbarian-sword-buddies novel that's kindof interesting, Gentlemen of the Road. Apparently the working title was "Jews with Swords."

I'd just skip Gentlemen and send everyone in the forum directly to The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Chabon is a big proponent of the intersection between genre and literary fiction, and even in what is probably his most high-minded novel he still manages a breezy pace and plot.

Everyone here probably already has a copy of Infinite Jest on their shelf (everyone I know owns the book but has never read it), you'd think a 1,079 page book with a multi-month read time would appeal to the hardcore fantasy crowd

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

That said, if you want a good gateway between comic book nerd poo poo and honest to God Literature, The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz is a fantastic place to start. I would pretty much reccomend this book to anyone who is eschewing the good stuff for genre fiction because it plays off a working knowledge of it to create a work that's legitimately profound and thought-provoking.

Seconding this. Fairly short, the magical realism stuff isn't intimidating for newcomers to that sort of thing, and it also features a protagonist that enjoys D&D, sci-fi & fantasy books, and anime. Plus it's not a difficult read at all so while you can get a lot of depth out of it, if all you want to do is engage it on the surface level then that's fine too because it's still an enjoyable read. It's good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

E1M1 posted:

I'd just skip Gentlemen and send everyone in the forum directly to The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Chabon is a big proponent of the intersection between genre and literary fiction, and even in what is probably his most high-minded novel he still manages a breezy pace and plot.

Yeah, all of Chabon is good, I just thought it funny that even when he's writing a sword and adventure novel, it's still all about gay Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Every time I hear someone describe any of chabons works it sounds terrible.