Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

liquidypoo posted:

Hey it was only the last two episodes or so that were disappointing.

...Right? :gbsmith:

Dexter, interestingly, becomes his own thesis because no one just loving shot him when they should have and he got away with ruining everyone's lives (or ending them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

quote:

She was sopping wet when he entered her. “drat you,” she said. “drat you drat you drat you.” He sucked her nipples till she cried out half in pain and half in pleasure. Her oval office became the world.

And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast.

quote:

"He found a line and pulled on it, fighting toward the hatch to get himself below out of the storm, but a gust of wind knocked his feet from under him and a second slammed him into the rail and there he clung. Rain lashed at his face, blinding him. His mouth was full of blood again. The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to poo poo."

These are quotes from A Song of Ice and Fire.

Please don't support George RR Martin by watching Game of Thrones.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 20, 2014

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

quote:

The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to poo poo."

Write what you know.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

Please don't support George RR Martin by watching Game of Thrones.

I'm sorry but if you don't find that last one funny I don't really know what to say to you

Martin owns and SoIaF owns.

EDIT: He refers to somebody's vagina as a "Myrrish swamp" in one book and it's completely out of left field, it's hilarious.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 20, 2014

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ah jeez. Is this one of those 50 Shades of Gray things, where weird creepy stuff for incredibly niche markets has become ludicrously popular with mainstream audiences out of nowhere?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm sorry but if you don't find that last one funny I don't really know what to say to you

Martin owns and SoIaF owns.

Oh yeah, they're funny, but that doesn't suddenly make him not a hack.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

CJacobs posted:

And then they had the sex

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Yes, but how does this compare to the riveting themes of sibling rivalry present throughout the Mario Saga?

Lacking in death stares, surely.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Length of this post aside, LoGH is pretty drat good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Ah jeez. Is this one of those 50 Shades of Gray things, where weird creepy stuff for incredibly niche markets has become ludicrously popular with mainstream audiences out of nowhere?
The really depressing thing is that no, it isn't. George R. R. Martin thinks he has never written anything so fine and so good. A lot of people agree.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

The really depressing thing is that no, it isn't. George R. R. Martin thinks he has never written anything so fine and so good. A lot of people agree.

You can judge writing on a lot of different criteria. What I like a lot about Martin is that, goon-selected lines on making GBS threads notwithstanding, he's not a particularly flowery writer. He's very to the point, communicates characters effectively, and tends to use prose sparingly and thus to grander effect. There's a really cool scene I remember from, I think the second book, where the Lannisters and their entourage are riding into a city, where peasants are starving and near the point of revolt, and it shows off the state of the common people, whom you rarely tend to see, and it has a really cool moment where the people start shouting the names of various kings they want to see win the upcoming war, but soon they all start rioting, shouting for bread and food, and Martin writes this in a way like "And then it wasn't Stannis or Stark, but King Bread who reigned" or something like that and then the peasants revolt.

VVVV--As a child who grew up reading Brian Jacques, I have no issue with this.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 20, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's very to the point

Unless he's hungry.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Real hurthling! posted:

Nobody cares that you're saving yourself for GoT. Wait your whole loving life if you want but nobody cares.

Why are you so personally hurt by this?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I would agree that, in this video at least, Keith was a curmudgeon.

Also considering that they said hey these are Game of Thrones spoilers, I don't really see the big deal with them talking about them. Maybe add a notation that says spoilers over at blank? For the people that haven't watched the season yet that wanted to, and are maybe waiting for the Blu ray release. That way they can still watch the LP episode.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

Also considering that they said hey these are Game of Thrones spoilers, I don't really see the big deal with them talking about them. Maybe add a notation that says spoilers over at blank? For the people that haven't watched the season yet that wanted to, and are maybe waiting for the Blu ray release. That way they can still watch the LP episode.

There's already a notation when the spoilers start saying they go until the end of the video. I'd assume they cut the video where it was specifically because that's when the spoilers ended (it did seem somewhat abrupt).

People are just babies about GoT spoilers and don't even like hearing the word spoiler. I keep seeing previews for future episodes on my Facebook and the loving previews warn about spoilers. That's kind of what previews are.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PSWII60 posted:

Well, they did add a caption, but spoiler talk ran to the end of the video.

e:f;b

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pneub posted:

Why are you so personally hurt by this?

sorry, i was wrong. i guess somebody does care to read a whole bunch of spoiler complaints when keith talks about tv shows. Please forgive my rudeness earlier.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

"And then it wasn't Stannis or Stark, but King Bread who reigned" or something like that and then the peasants revolt.

Wait you're considering that a positive note?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Shintaro posted:

Wait you're considering that a positive note?

I'm not doing it justice, but it flowed really well in the part you read it. Martin sets up really lurid scenes and follows the action really well.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars

T.G. Xarbala posted:

GoT/ASOIAF being written to be both manipulative and spiteful was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't get into it. It just feels like an incredibly cynical and calculated soap opera with swords and rape and the most punchable boy in the world. On top of that, I never was as interested in stories that focused on dynastic squabbling and court scheming at the expense of drawing the readers/audience in to see the bigger picture and giving events a sense of history. Game of Thrones isn't about nations or states, it's about nobles and royals, and while some people prefer that, I don't. One of the few times Game of Thrones really, really got my attention was when Tyrion re-enacted the Battle of Red Cliffs. And that's mostly because I recognized what it was referencing. And because he gave a good speech, too. Tyrion's the only character anyone can give a drat about, for a number of reasons. One of which is the fact that compared to other sympathetic characters, he doesn't subject the audience to pathos fatigue. Or do something incredibly stupid and/or deplorable.

Honestly, give me dry old Romance of the Three Kingdoms or the sweeping grandeur of the Legend of Galactic Heroes any day. Speaking of, I'm just going to ahead and plug it now. Even though it's anime and literally decades-old, more people should watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's the opposite of Game of Thrones in nearly every way. Both draw inspiration from history and transplants it to more fantastical settings, but while one is a sensational and lurid quasi-medieval soap opera concerned mainly with petty (often creepy) squabbles and family feuds, the other is a larger-than-life yet surprisingly understated space opera centered largely around a battle of wills between two rival strategists yet that explores politics, ideologies, and questions of principle on not just a personal, but the national level.

On the one hand GoT has realistic and deeply flawed characters with a web of relationships and stories that occasionally intersect and weave into each other, on the other it's difficult to grow attached to them because their lives are written by an author who gleefully abuses them to brazenly manipulate his readers. LOGH, on the other hand, literally stars two impossibly perfect embodiments of the virtues of monarchy and democracy, respectively, and surrounds them with a cast of people who appear to be too archetypical to be real. And yet because of how well they're written, with uncommon even-handedness and sincerity, they and their lives are incredibly compelling. It's literally the War of the Mary Sues and is so well-written you won't even mind. Though it suffers at the start by having an early cast of idiots to act as foils to the two main leads, once it becomes a battle of deeply-principled and brilliant equals set against that ever-familiar backdrop of treachery, greed, and ambition, it's hard to stop watching. The central dynamic of two rival genius strategists was inspired by Ro3K but inspired a number of imitators in turn. (Like Death Note, also Japanese.) While Game of Thrones drowns you in complexity to hide an underlying sense of aimlessness, LOGH starts with a simple idea and radiates outward from there with confidence. 110(!) episodes worth of confidence, in fact.

LOGH is also the sort of story that you don't want to read spoilers of but can stand on its own, spoiled or not. But if you do spoil yourself ahead of time, it becomes much more... tragic, I suppose is the best word for it. When rewatching Legend of Galactic Heroes, it's hard not to feel a deep sense of melancholy since you know what's going to happen.

gently caress it. Go watch Legend of Galactic Heroes.

I didn't know Anime Nathan was a goon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us50t5fYo58

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He got his German wrong and it's driving me batty.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm sorry that I harassed you about petting the cat when you're allergic, Keith. Your calm and direct manner makes the internet a decent place.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Can someone post Cedric the Horgeporge in the thread?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

06/26/14

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (1993)
Part 2/? (LP pt.60) [Youtube]
Part 3/? (LP pt.61) [Youtube]

Here's the two Mario vids that were posted while the forums were down.

Laocius posted:

There were two, but I only have one! I need someone to help me get the "way beyond outrageous one." Hopefully Keith saved it but I might have to get it from whoever made it.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Laocius posted:

Here's the one I did:

viscous wolves posted:

Congrats guys, you now have your very own Sonic OC. Do not steal. Or do. I'm not sure if anyone should want to own this.

I had forgotten how awful it was.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

These are wonderful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Strap binoculars to their faces you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rRK7vlBG8A

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

first_try.gif

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Why else would Google trying to be trying to be giving everyone email?" - Keith J Carberry

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
FRINGE is a great show. It sounds like you stopped when they were still feeling out the tone and slowly laying groundwork, before the cast gelled and the constant threat of cancellation made them get to the point. The best part of the names of the alternate versions of characters is that they were just B-Olivia, B-Walter, etc in the scripts until they saw fans making up the portmanteaus online and put them in later episodes.

poo poo, now I'm spending my whole day watching FRINGE clips.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Criticism's fine. BUT OH MAN HOW DID YOU LOSE A VIDEO FI-bluhlbuhbluh

I wonder how an all pod-cast LP would work.

(poorly)

I feel like GameGrumps would work far better as that since you can, for the most part, overlay anything they say on any video (actually didn't slowbeef have this idea?)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Houle posted:

(actually didn't slowbeef have this idea?)

I believe they did a Deceased Crab video for RP where they spent like 10 minutes making jokes about how terrible it was, and then in the last couple minutes revealed they weren't actually watching a video and Slowbeef was just gonna pick one to put their audio over.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 26, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

General Ironicus posted:

FRINGE is a great show. It sounds like you stopped when they were still feeling out the tone and slowly laying groundwork, before the cast gelled and the constant threat of cancellation made them get to the point. The best part of the names of the alternate versions of characters is that they were just B-Olivia, B-Walter, etc in the scripts until they saw fans making up the portmanteaus online and put them in later episodes.

poo poo, now I'm spending my whole day watching FRINGE clips.

Maybe I'll get back to it. Not sure what I said in the episode but I watched -almost- the entire first season (but maybe the whole thing). I checked but couldn't really place an exact episode. I'm totally willing to believe there's something to it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somethingdumb posted:

Maybe I'll get back to it. Not sure what I said in the episode but I watched -almost- the entire first season (but maybe the whole thing). I checked but couldn't really place an exact episode. I'm totally willing to believe there's something to it.

The last two episodes kick the show into an excellent gear that lasts for the following two seasons. It's a pretty clever show with amazing performances all around. Even Pacey, in his way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's on Netflix, might give Fringe a shot.

It has to be better than Lost.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

"It's hard to talk and play at the same time!!!"

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Kyle is the American Arino.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jack Gladney posted:

The last two episodes kick the show into an excellent gear that lasts for the following two seasons.

This is very true, it's worth getting into. Although even early <i>Fringe</i> was pretty entertaining in terms of how the writers would make up obstacles blocking whatever the characters were trying to do, only to immediately solve them so they could finish the story in one episode.

"The only way we could find that information is if we could read the mind of a dead person!

...which we can do.

...only it requires an incredibly rare item.

...which we have in a desk back at the office."

I'm paraphrasing, but that basically happened in one episode (unless I dreamed the whole thing, it has been a while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Kyle is the American Arino.

So what does that make Keith? I'm thinking Kibe cuz the two of them make some pretty big nerds :v:

• Locked thread