Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
What do you do if you're just like chilling and hangin out and you're not near each other in the room and one of you wants to get the attention of the other for communication?

Do you have to like get up and poke her, or wave madly until she notices?
Or do you each carry a bag of rice and you just throw a few grains at each other when you wanna say stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Condolences.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you hold down her arms, she can't sign "no"

So how often do the rapes happen

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Do you sign at all, if so which do you prefer and if not do you feel this has excluded you from the 'deaf community' to an extent?

Recently started learning it but it's pretty useless in everyday life. Lip-reading serves me pretty well with hearing people who don't know poo poo about languages of signs.

But its nice to hang out with other deaf people/non-deaf people who know sign language cause it takes a lot less concentration than lip-reading.

I don't really feel it has excluded me from the deaf community, they're pretty welcoming to people who only recently became deaf/only recently learned sign language. Main problem to me is they're surprisingly very religious and poo poo and I'm agnostic.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Fattest PI posted:

What do you do if you're just like chilling and hangin out and you're not near each other in the room and one of you wants to get the attention of the other for communication?

Or do you each carry a bag of rice and you just throw a few grains at each other when you wanna say stuff

tactics for getting the attention of a deaf person, listed in order of proximity to that person

- tap them on the shoulder
- wave at them (deaf people are very good at noticing this, addendum we also get very very loving annoyed if someone's just randomly spazzing out and distracting us, double addendum it is really really really annoying when I'm trying to get a hearing person's attention and they just obliviously not notice me waving at them)
- stomp on the floor or smack a table
- flick the light switch
- text them

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Brannock posted:

I shut down women all the time because they think because I'm deaf they can "hit above your weight" so I get approached a lot by people who I'm just flat out not attracted to I can't imagine it's any different for attractive deaf women tbh

interesting.

tbh if someone who i am not attracted to approaches me, if I've got nothing better to do, I'll go for it out of boredom but maybe that makes me a bad person i don't know

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Xachariah posted:

I don't really feel it has excluded me from the deaf community, they're pretty welcoming to people who only recently became deaf/only recently learned sign language. Main problem to me is they're surprisingly very religious and poo poo and I'm agnostic.

I've ran into this myself too and I think it's because church is often the only time you'd ever run into another deaf person if you weren't actively involved in the community. here in my town all the older deafs are super observant and the younger generation (who generally went to school together, and had a much easier time keeping up with others thanks to the internet/phones) are about as religious as anyone else in their twenties

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pxbFBhWKC0&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Brannock posted:

tactics for getting the attention of a deaf person, listed in order of proximity to that person

- tap them on the shoulder
- wave at them (deaf people are very good at noticing this, addendum we also get very very loving annoyed if someone's just randomly spazzing out and distracting us, double addendum it is really really really annoying when I'm trying to get a hearing person's attention and they just obliviously not notice me waving at them)
- stomp on the floor or smack a table
- flick the light switch
- text them

All 3 of my roommates and I could hear a pin drop in Arkansas (we're really far from Arkansas btw) and these are the exact methods we use to get each others attention.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
waid do deaf people also lean their heads and upper bodies all over the place when the come?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dude what are you gonna do whe n you're on a adventure together and you're fall down in a ditch.. then she can't hear you SCREAM. did you think about THAT

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
OP did you ever cop to farting while loving her

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

OKCupid liked her profile messaged her didnt know she was deaf til she messaged me back thought about it for a while then realised it would be wrong to let that stop me dating her (was worried i would be really bad at communicating) and glad for it. Had she put it on her profile in not sure i would have messaged her at the time.

I tell her when she gets a text etc, its only ever jo-ho's at the door her alarm clock is cool though its attached to a vibrating pad beneath her pillow, caught me by surprise first time around.
I know some deaf people get their house rigged up so the lights flash when the door bell rings. You should get one of those OP.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Have any of her other senses grown into superpowers to compensate for her lack of hearing?

If it turns out shes actually not deaf, and one day calls you out for all the horrible things you've said and done while under the belief that she was unable to hear them, you'll share that story with us in excruciating detail, right?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
she grunts and ululates like a loving sea mammal you can't fake that poo poo

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Have any of her other senses grown into superpowers to compensate for her lack of hearing?

generally what happens isn't that you become extra-sensitive, it's that you pay that much more attention to the sensory input that you do get

can't speak for her specifically but I notice poo poo and feel poo poo all the time that other people just completely overlook because of inattention. it gets funny when I tell someone that they just got a text because I can feel their phone vibrating and they're like "how did you know? I thought you were deaf"

Aug 4, 2010

Brannock posted:

generally what happens isn't that you become extra-sensitive, it's that you pay that much more attention to the sensory input that you do get

can't speak for her specifically but I notice poo poo and feel poo poo all the time that other people just completely overlook because of inattention. it gets funny when I tell someone that they just got a text because I can feel their phone vibrating and they're like "how did you know? I thought you were deaf"

so you basically have spider senses

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
While working at KFC in merry ol' England, a group of deaf business men and women came in to order food. Most of them just shoved their phones in my face with their orders on them, but one or two tried to tell me. It was really difficult to understand what they were saying and I felt embarrassed and bad that I didn't understand them. :( I guess I have hearing privilege guilt.

Plus since I'm American I also have a hard time understanding everyone's accents. I wonder if deaf people who speak have accents.

Also I helped a blind guy cross the road once (a crosswalk but no stop sign or lights), and I didn't grab his arm, I offered mine to him because I didn't want him to yell at me like Al Pacino.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 21, 2014

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
brannock i dont get why deaf people are always squeaking and honking and poo poo and they dont seem to know theyre doing it, it makes me want to smack them

i mean you have to feel yourself making the noises and vibrations right? do you honk a lot

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

i like how they look so proud

listen to my beautiful siren song, humans, and know you are a lesser being

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

The Fattest PI posted:

One more use for the Nerf Maverick

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i saw a thing on tv where blind people learned tosee their environment through echolocation so if you farted around your blind girlfriend and it was silent to you she'd still hear it every time

deaf seems to be the way to go

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

SniperWoreConverse posted:

she grunts and ululates like a loving sea mammal you can't fake that poo poo

So wait, does that mean Bjork is deaf?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Brannock posted:

this is why i know the dudes gf knows when he farts

first off she can still smell but secondly she felt the air vibrations

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If you can't fart around your gf, or heaven forbid she farts, you're really living like a Catholic. Ya know? Very repressed.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

mrhotdogvendor posted:

there are a number of mangas about couples that are dating and either one or both have a disability. Most common theme is deafness.

Ah i see yeah its not some kind of weird manga fetish thing i just met a girl i like who happens to be deaf. Its strange actually, when you get better at signing and can communicate quicker you don't even think about it, i barely think about our communication difference anymore i talk with hearing people i sign with her and then if im with hearing and deaf people (like i was with her family yesterday) we just all do both at the same time.

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$
What do you think about chomskian thought and the role of language on the development of thought? Language with clear grammatical rules and structure and the language acquisition device?

what i'm asking is do you think sign language made you deaf girlfriend retarded?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

newreply.php posted:

If you guys ever had a kid and it turns out to be hearing, will you get the knitting needles and pop its eardrums?

Her deafness is hereditary (even though none of her family are deaf) so if 'very' hypothetically we spawned a children there's a real good chance it would be deaf. I would be fine about that because i no longer feel like a deaf child cant have the same quality of life or choices as anyone else and from the start we'd be in a better position than most to work with that.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does her writing ever seem... odd to you? I've read some stuff by ASL-signing deaf people and it all seems to come across as slightly different from standard English. Not sure how, but the word usage and general flow seemed a little off from the way I write/talk. Not incomprehensible by any means, but a little foreign. Have you noticed that or does BSL track better to the spoken language?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Does her writing ever seem... odd to you? I've read some stuff by ASL-signing deaf people and it all seems to come across as slightly different from standard English. Not sure how, but the word usage and general flow seemed a little off from the way I write/talk. Not incomprehensible by any means, but a little foreign. Have you noticed that or does BSL track better to the spoken language?

Jumping ahead a bit cos that's a real interesting point. BSL (like ASL) uses a completely different sentence structure and misses a lot of unnecessary words out. The word order is more similar to a lot of foreign languages i.e. subject first and such and because of that yes, it must be really weird to then write stuff a different way around. Luckily for me my gf having grown up in a hearing household has kinda learned to sign much like the English language in terms of word order, so she writes normally, but this does make it harder for her around other deaf people when she has to change her grammar.

e: in a way it makes a lot more sense its blunter and more to the point, we don't really need a lot of the filler words we use ie me want cake is all you really need to say, signing can flow a lot quicker than the spoken word as a result. Now imagine when youre writing stuff down that you suddenly have to introduce all these bullshit words.

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 22, 2014

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

ante posted:

OP what does she look like and you look like

need for research in how much going for deaf ones allow you to hit above your weight

Shes a stunning 6 foot leggy brunette and im a pasty brit-goon so yeah, perhaps. But as i said before and a deaf guy has said in this thread being deaf doesn't mean you don't have standards.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

is the x-files pc game worth playing? i'm sort of on an x-files kick right now, watching episodes and stuff and just wondering about the game

I don't know, is Gillian Anderson in it? If so i reckon go for it otherwise its probably poo poo she was really the only reason worth watching the show.

The Fattest PI posted:

This ones been pretty well answered already but yeah i do get a kick out of sneaking up and grabbing her probably means in some kind of sick fucker idk. I have yet to break the habit of calling her name to get her attention sometimes.

And the same to you re: your butt and/or mother.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

does she have a penis

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

If you hold down her arms, she can't sign "no"

So how often do the rapes happen

If things get a bit rough she might groan a bit louder than usual and I'll look and if she shakes her head or something ill stop or change position im not a complete monster. Having lights dimmed rather than off helps, im learning to read her expressions more. Valid question though because its harder for her to get across what she likes/doesnt because how can she sign at me during doggy etc?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

waid do deaf people also lean their heads and upper bodies all over the place when the come?

I have no idea what youre getting at, sorry. Is this how you come or something? Sounds a bit loving weird!

a hole-y ghost posted:

dude what are you gonna do whe n you're on a adventure together and you're fall down in a ditch.. then she can't hear you SCREAM. did you think about THAT

True ill have to just send her a text and wait half a day til she reads it. Yes, shes poo poo at replying to texts but then what woman isnt.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

How did you two get together? Did you hit on her or the other way around? Was her being deaf a turn off at first? How would you rate both of you in terms of looks on a scale of 1-10?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Also can you record her seal wails and upload it to YouTube?? That would be neat.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

1st AD posted:

OP did you ever cop to farting while loving her

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

If it turns out shes actually not deaf, and one day calls you out for all the horrible things you've said and done while under the belief that she was unable to hear them, you'll share that story with us in excruciating detail, right?

Well now. These two questions are kind of related and bring us inevitably to 'Fartgate'. For those of you who didn't follow this on the OKCupid thread some months back, the sequence of events as it happened is as follows...

Our first night together we were in bed and I was feeling especially gassy and I thought well shes not going to notice if I fart so I went for it. It turned out to be one of the loudest farts of my life, the duvet shook and birds scattered from trees outside in fright. I was sure she would notice something, but she remained still. Then in the morning she let out a little squeeky one and i teased her about it, of course. She got very embarrassed and apologetic and asked me if i had farted in her presence yet to which I thought for a second and then answered no. Did she know and was that why she asked me? I honestly cant answer that so if she did well we're still together at least.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I have no idea what youre getting at, sorry. Is this how you come or something? Sounds a bit loving weird!

No if she barks like a sea lion does she also wave her upper body around like a sea lion

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Well now. These two questions are kind of related and bring us inevitably to 'Fartgate'. For those of you who didn't follow this on the OKCupid thread some months back, the sequence of events as it happened is as follows...

Our first night together we were in bed and I was feeling especially gassy and I thought well shes not going to notice if I fart so I went for it. It turned out to be one of the loudest farts of my life, the duvet shook and birds scattered from trees outside in fright. I was sure she would notice something, but she remained still. Then in the morning she let out a little squeeky one and i teased her about it, of course. She got very embarrassed and apologetic and asked me if i had farted in her presence yet to which I thought for a second and then answered no. Did she know and was that why she asked me? I honestly cant answer that so if she did well we're still together at least.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

My dog is deaf are you dating my dog?

• Locked thread