Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FiddlersThree posted:

Isn't Denna supposed to be, like, an incarnation of Lyra or one of the Chandrian or the Moon (or all three at the same time)? I don't think she's just, like, some regular girl.

Not that this justifies how Rothfuss writes her or anything. I'm just saying that I think it might be premature to write off her presence in the story as extraneous since Rothfuss has left a lot of hints that she's more than what she seems.

How am I supposed to know this as a read though? I'm not even sure who Lyra is or what the Chandrian are made up of. All I've seen in two books are the two Chandrian, and they got a paragraph of screen time each.

And what clues were given about Denna? The only thing that happens to her is that she shows up on the arm of another guy, Kvothe gets moody, they walk and talk together, then she leaves and re-appears with a slightly different name. Rinse and repeat 6 times.

Edit: Just read the post you linked and I agree that it makes sense but again I think the message was communicated poorly in Rothfuss's prose, if it's true. He's a new writer though so I guess he deserves a pass.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

FiddlersThree posted:

Here's a link to Jo Walton's reread post where she summarizes what her readers have found about the relationship of Denna to the Moon.

Personally, I think she's all three (but is mostly unaware of it), and she's on the run from the other Chandrian (for reasons she probably doesn't even know).
I don't know, a lot of that article is TV tropes level "analysis" and stretching really far to connect things. Like

quote:

“Men fall before her [Denna] like wheat before a sickle-blade.”

Sickles are traditionally associated with the moon, because of the new moon shape. I keep seeing more moon-evidence.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Above Our Own posted:

I don't know, a lot of that article is TV tropes level "analysis" and stretching really far to connect things.

Very possible. Rothfuss seems to be really big on hiding riddles, hints, imagery, etc. in the series, but who knows how well it will actually pay off in the end? All I'm saying is that, in terms of her relevance to the plot, I don't think we should necessarily be reading Denna as just some girl Kvothe happens to meet, as he does seem to be trying to lay the groundwork for her to be revealed as something more down the road. Whether that's connecting her to the Moon or something else entirely, I guess, remains to be seen.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Above Our Own posted:

I don't know, a lot of that article is TV tropes level "analysis" and stretching really far to connect things. Like
From what I recall of mythology and 'magical' lore, is that silver or gold sickles are used to harvest special/rare/magic herbs (such as mistletoe) during a full moon and poo poo.. I don't recall much about regular sickles being moon-related. You can't harvest wheat at night.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I bet Kvothe could :allears:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You see it's nothing amazing, just a clever sympathetic link that he thought of between the wheat and the scythe. He just separates his brain into three pieces, links the moon to the wheat and the wheat to the scythe, then it's just a matter of giving it a little push.

Also while he's out in the field a Wheat Maiden discovers him and teaches him all about the art of Wheat Love

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doltos posted:

You see it's nothing amazing, just a clever sympathetic link that he thought of between the wheat and the scythe. He just separates his brain into three pieces, links the moon to the wheat and the wheat to the scythe, then it's just a matter of giving it a little push.

Also while he's out in the field a Wheat Maiden discovers him and teaches him all about the art of Wheat Love

He lowered himself into Heart of Stone before allowing his subconscious to slip into Turning Leaf. He then used both Break Bear and Stuttering Child to draw out the essence of the wheat.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
There's a Bast story in the Rogues anthology which came out today. It's pretty good!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Anarkii posted:

There's a Bast story in the Rogues anthology which came out today. It's pretty good!

Interesting. Are there any other worthwhile stories in the anthology?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Wittgen posted:

GRRM's story is a historical narrative which is really boring. Looking forward to read Scott Lynch and Joe Abercrombie's stories.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drat, I just saw The Slow Regard of Silent Things and thought it came out too. Let us know if there are enough worthwhile stories to pick it up though.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Wittgen posted:

Abercrombie's story is really fun, introduces some cool new characters that should definitely have their own standalone, and smoothly fits in with the feel of The First Law universe.

Scott Lynch's story is also great - again, some great new characters, plus drunken hijinks and a ridiculous caper. It also touches on magic a little more, especially wrt how 'normal people' think that wizards are just kinda douchebags.

GRRM's was a big letdown after The Princess and The Queen, and pretty dull. I still read it, but it really should have either been rolled into the aforementioned or just skipped entirely in favour of, I dunno, writing the loving winds of winter.

Gillian Flynn wrote a story about handjobs.

Gaiman wrote a story about what Gaiman always writes about. Whether you like it depends on whether you like him (and Neverwhere).

The David Ball story was pretty cool. I've never heard of him, but I'll definitely check out some of his other work now (which I guess is kinda the point of these anthologies). It's got Nazis.

The Joe Lansdale one did nothing for me, but I think his writing is definitely a love|hate thing.

imho, it's worth it for the Lynch/Abercrombie/Rothfuss stories, with a stack of quick timekillers as a bonus.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Gillian Flynn wrote a story about handjobs.

Ugh I hate how she keeps sneaking into allstar author lists. She's one of the biggest trash authors out there right now.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I actually liked the hand job story that turned into a ghost story.

The story that was just the history of a painting was awful though.

I'm going to find more anthologies like this though because they're perfect audiobooks for long drives.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Swords and dark magic is pretty baller for that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So Bast's life is pretty much what I expected. Also, was this the first time "gently caress" was written in the story?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Aggro posted:

I'm going to find more anthologies like this though because they're perfect audiobooks for long drives.

The 'Dangerous Women' one he did before this wasn't too shabby.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010
I went to a book signing a few weeks ago here in Austin for Patrick Rothfuss and I was surprised by the 300 people that showed up even though the event was very last minute. He did a Q&A that was both funny and touching and even read us a little from the new anthology book. Then me and my husband stood in line for two hours to get our books signed, which was well worth the wait.

Overall Rothfuss seemed like a nice guy and he told a sweet story about his kid that made him start to tear up. Plus Ernie Cline showed up in his DeLorean!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
So who wants to bet Lady Lackless is Kvothes aunt? Her sister team of with the Edema Ruh, his mother was a noble woman who did the same...

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

zokie posted:

So who wants to bet Lady Lackless is Kvothes aunt? Her sister team of with the Edema Ruh, his mother was a noble woman who did the same...

Also Natalia / Tally, the red hair gene.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think thats a pretty safe bet. That silly song is what basically comes right out and says it: "Make my wife not tally a lot less" compared to Natalia Lackless.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

shrughes posted:

Also Natalia / Tally, the red hair gene.

In the first book, kvothe recounts a song his dad wrote that made his mother angry. When read phonetically it ended with the line "my wife, [mom's name] Lackless. So it's pretty much confirmed.

e:fb

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 26, 2014

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Also, it fits perfectly that Kvothe would be the kind of idiot that wouldn't realize she was his Aunt. How many noble women run off with Rue? "Um, was her name *whatever,* because that was my mom" should have been his first question on meeting a noble woman whose sister ran away with the Rue. Qvothe goes on and on about how he is Rue to his bones and family is everything, but the first thing he does when he meets family is say everything he can to piss her off. Beautiful.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm not sure if its part of Rothfuss's storytelling where every group of people acts identical to each other (posh nobles are all assholes, women are all self-confident creatures that want to bone him, all of Ademre are quiet warriors, all mercenaries and soldiers are greasy, thieving slobs, all villagers are mistrusting and hate outsiders, all musicians are talented and nice) or if it's the whole unreliable narrator thing where Kvothe is horribly biased.

I hope it turns out that the Edema Ruh are the equivalent of Romany Gypsies and that everyone's hatred of them is completely founded and legitimate.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Doltos posted:

I hope it turns out that the Edema Ruh are the equivalent of Romany Gypsies and that everyone's hatred of them is completely founded and legitimate.

Wait, what? :psyduck:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
No, it's totally innocent. Doltos, you see, is racist, and hopes that the fantasy racism in the book is as justifiable as real life racism.

Actually now that I think about it that's not very innocent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know the old saying, " If it's a minority worthy of Hitler's hate, they're worthy of yours!"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, it's totally innocent. Doltos, you see, is racist, and hopes that the fantasy racism in the book is as justifiable as real life racism.

Actually now that I think about it that's not very innocent.

Ah you see a group that's well known for Western European countries wanting to kick them out due to their inability to merge with society, who create illegal settlements and squat in areas to ruin businesses and established homes, who are constantly shown in youtube videos trying to scam people with fake gold ring tricks, who steal dogs and use them as bait dogs, who mug and pickpocket tourists, who create societies where medical treatment is largely ignored and kids are used as child brides, who are just really awful people, are not allowed to be pointed out as really awful people because that's racist.

quote:

In 2008, following the brutal rape and subsequent murder of an Italian woman in Rome at the hands of a young man from a local Romani encampment,[162] the Italian government declared that Italy's Romani population represented a national security risk and that swift action was required to address the emergenza nomadi (nomad emergency).[163] Specifically, officials in the Italian government accused the Romanies of being responsible for rising crime rates in urban areas. One police raid in 2007 freed many of the children belonging to a Romani gang who used to steal by day, and who were locked in a shed by night by members of the gang.[164]

quote:

In the summer of 2010 French authorities demolished at least 51 illegal Roma camps and began the process of repatriating their residents to their countries of origin.[166] This followed tensions between the French state and Roma communities, which had been heightened after French police opened fire and killed a traveller who drove through a police checkpoint, hitting an officer, and attempted to hit two more officers at another checkpoint. In retaliation a group of Roma, armed with hatchets and iron bars, attacked the police station of Saint-Aignan, toppled traffic lights and road signs and burned three cars.[167][168] The French government has been accused of perpetrating these actions to pursue its political agenda.[169] EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding stated that the European Commission should take legal action against France over the issue, calling the deportations "a disgrace". Purportedly, a leaked file dated 5 August, sent from the Interior Ministry to regional police chiefs included the instruction: "Three hundred camps or illegal settlements must be cleared within three months, Roma camps are a priority."[170]

So yeah, call me racist, but go ahead and live next to these guys for a while and tell me how much you'd like that living situation. The Edema Ruh in the book are completely and utterly flawless according to Kvothe, which is a crock of poo poo and goes in line with all the rest of Rothfuss judging groups of people by one identity instead of looking at individuals. Yes not every gypsy is a horrible person, but by and large their communities are just terrible. There's sufficient evidence to support this without having to include anyone who dislikes the group as being 'racist'.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Amazing

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Doltos posted:

So yeah, call me racist

You're pretty racist and probably need mental help

I hope you don't have access to firearms

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Doltos posted:

Ah you see a group that's well known for Western European countries wanting to kick them out due to their inability to merge with society, who create illegal settlements and squat in areas to ruin businesses and established homes, who are constantly shown in youtube videos trying to scam people with fake gold ring tricks, who steal dogs and use them as bait dogs, who mug and pickpocket tourists, who create societies where medical treatment is largely ignored and kids are used as child brides, who are just really awful people, are not allowed to be pointed out as really awful people because that's racist.

So yeah, call me racist, but go ahead and live next to these guys for a while and tell me how much you'd like that living situation. The Edema Ruh in the book are completely and utterly flawless according to Kvothe, which is a crock of poo poo and goes in line with all the rest of Rothfuss judging groups of people by one identity instead of looking at individuals. Yes not every gypsy is a horrible person, but by and large their communities are just terrible. There's sufficient evidence to support this without having to include anyone who dislikes the group as being 'racist'.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Doltos posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo are you for real?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Widestancer posted:

You're pretty racist and probably need mental help

I hope you don't have access to firearms

You literally have a racial slur in your custom title.

Romani gypsies weren't the only groups hit by Hitler and no one deserves what happened to them in the Holocaust. But since then the Romani gypsies have by and large refused to merge with modern society and have caused huge issues in Western European countries. There are very real issues with nomadic societies that institute their own laws in countries like England, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Germany, and Spain.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Doltos posted:

Romani gypsies weren't the only groups hit by Hitler and no one deserves what happened to them in the Holocaust. But since then the Romani gypsies have by and large refused to merge with modern society and have caused huge issues in Western European countries. There are very real issues with nomadic societies that institute their own laws in countries like England, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Germany, and Spain.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that having a gangtag based on the joke that Bowser says a certain word in the new Mario Kart game is significantly less racist than labeling all members of an ethic group as thieves and all around awful people.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The gypsies near where I live turn up once every couple of years and hold a funfair but I think those might be Irish travellers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Srice posted:

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that having a gangtag based on the joke that Bowser says a certain word in the new Mario Kart game is significantly less racist than labeling all members of an ethic group as thieves and all around awful people.

Ah I see, it's not racist to use racist words if it's a joke

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Doltos posted:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Doltos posted:

I'd say it's less racist than being racist imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Doltos posted:

I wasn't aware that "n*gger" as is in my gang tag was a racial slur do you know how the actual slur is spelled? Can you spell it for us?

You are a racist and really do need to seek mental help so that you don't end up committing a hate crime against these already oppressed people. Do you have access to firearms?

• Locked thread