Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Synthesis is also the only end where jokers hat becomes sentient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. It's strange how people will argue for any other ending.

Mario: naw, I'm not gonna rescue Peach. I'm going to merge with Bowser. That works. Actually, I'll just become lord of the koopas.

Because Renegade.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Unless we learn from this war and are more careful when approaching synthetics.

It's not about being careful, it's that the end of the cycle means that the future organics have free will. If that results in inevitable extermination, so be it. It's the principle of the thing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Police Automaton posted:

Synthesis is also the only end where jokers hat becomes sentient.

It is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because the entire series, and especially Mass Effect 3, dwells extensively on the million (billion? I forget the exact timescale at work with the Leviathans and the Reapers) year old problem of "Synthetics and Organics literally can't stop loving each other over". You get rid of the Reapers, hooray, unless life as we know it is upgraded it'll just happen again when we foolishly construct the Harvesters and they don't really understand us either.

The only long term problem in the mass effect universe is the reapers coming around and mulching everything up into a paste whenever they feel like it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Waltzing Along posted:

Mario: naw, I'm not gonna rescue Peach. I'm going to merge with Bowser. That works. Actually, I'll just become lord of the koopas.

If you can't beat 'em, merge with 'em.

I would pay money to play an official game where this happens.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has there been a game where you play as Bowser yet? Mario (Bowser) Party doesn't count.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've never played this and want to get it but not for more than 10bux. It's not on steam so I never see it on sale. Where do I watch for this game?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

redreader posted:

I've never played this and want to get it but not for more than 10bux. It's not on steam so I never see it on sale. Where do I watch for this game?

This meaning Mass Effect or ME3?

If you mean the whole trilogy, it is worth much more than $10.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

redreader posted:

Origin. I don't think they've heard of sales, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SgtSteel91 posted:

Unless we learn from this war and are more careful when approaching synthetics.

Bet the Leviathans thought they were careful too.

And the Protheans, before they had to deal with crazy body snatcher synthetics.

And however many other civilizations stretching back literally forever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

Has there been a game where you play as Bowser yet? Mario (Bowser) Party doesn't count.

You control him during sections of Bowser's Inside Story.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yep, I'm doubling down that we're difference and we aren't as stupid as those guys. We'll makes synthetics like Edi and the Geth, who have no want to destroy organics.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sassassin posted:

The only long term problem in the mass effect universe is the reapers coming around and mulching everything up into a paste whenever they feel like it.

Agreed the AI that tells you that organic and synthetic war is inevitable is also the same AI that went mad and built robots to slaughter billions of people so I don't think there's any reason to think it's incapable of error.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Honestly, I am not sure if it was bad writing or genius writing, but even in the parts where you were supposed to sympathize with the geth in ME3 I never felt sympathetic to them. From the moment on you meet Legion he's either lying to you or withholding the truth to some degree. That mission where you learn about the Geth's past just seems like a setup by Legion to manipulate you emotionally. At the end of that story arc, Legion straight up is willing to genocide all Quarians or even murdering you for not siding with the Geth. I never did like the Geth and even from the "best possible ending" with the Geth and the Quarians achieving peace, I always had the feeling the Geth could turn again on organics whenever it felt convenient to them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Quarians are shitheads and I like it when they get genocided and Tali jumps off a cliff, haha.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Police Automaton posted:

Honestly, I am not sure if it was bad writing or genius writing, but even in the parts where you were supposed to sympathize with the geth in ME3 I never felt sympathetic to them. From the moment on you meet Legion he's either lying to you or withholding the truth to some degree. That mission where you learn about the Geth's past just seems like a setup by Legion to manipulate you emotionally. At the end of that story arc, Legion straight up is willing to genocide all Quarians or even murdering you for not siding with the Geth. I never did like the Geth and even from the "best possible ending" with the Geth and the Quarians achieving peace, I always had the feeling the Geth could turn again on organics whenever it felt convenient to them.

It feels like that because it's exactly what they have done, repeatedly over the course of the 3 games. They flip sides at a moments notice. Blow em all up.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Bet the Leviathans thought they were careful too.

And the Protheans, before they had to deal with crazy body snatcher synthetics.

And however many other civilizations stretching back literally forever.

Would you accept home security tips from the guy who has been breaking into your house once a week for the last 10 years? Bear in mind he will die if he can't keep breaking into your house, and you have a gun to his head and the police on the line. Your postbox explodes regardless of your choice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Ending makes it clear that Synthesis was written to be the best "magically fix everything" Bioware choice. The ending was also written by morons in a closed room for the express purpose of not getting any feedback. The part of the game that had actual editing says that Destroy is the best option though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
ME3. I already bought 1 twice (once at full price) and 2 when it came out for full price. So 3 is on origin/amazon only? it's currently 20bux but I want to know when it's on sale. Is there some kind of notifier?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The Quarians are shitheads and I like it when they get genocided and Tali jumps off a cliff, haha.

loving hell, there's absolutely no parity to the situation come ME3. The Quarians are myopic, racist, kneejerk dickheads who decide that galactic invasion is the perfect time to provoke an isolationist and conflicted group into having no choice but to side with said galactic invaders. And they decided to make it an all-out assault, stitching guns onto their farming ships and sending them out into battle! It's not like they can whip up more of those when they're destroyed, these guys are completely isolated and needy, and if they gently caress poo poo up for themselves there are so many other refugees out there that their needs are going to get swamped in the mess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

sassassin posted:

Origin. I don't think they've heard of sales, though.

This is a pretty funny and relevant quote from two years ago, before Origin started having good sales with discounts as deep or deeper than Steam sales.

e: I got ME3 PC Digital Deluxe version for ten bucks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
But what about the DLC, still full price and never on sale?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DrNutt posted:

This is a pretty funny and relevant quote from two years ago, before Origin started having good sales with discounts as deep or deeper than Steam sales.

e: I got ME3 PC Digital Deluxe version for ten bucks.

I haven't used it in ages so thanks for the update, friend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mustang posted:

But what about the DLC, still full price and never on sale?

It's rare, but DLC has been on sale. Or, points or whatever the hell they make you purchase to buy the DLC. It ain't perfect or anything but it's the only service that even comes close to Steam or GOG in terms of sale values and having actual games you might want to play.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

sassassin posted:

Would you accept home security tips from the guy who has been breaking into your house once a week for the last 10 years? Bear in mind he will die if he can't keep breaking into your house, and you have a gun to his head and the police on the line. Your postbox explodes regardless of your choice.
He put the gun to his own head and your finger on the trigger though. That should be enough to make you think he isn't trying to trick you.

At this point you can either conclude that he is wrong and choose destroy, or that he is right and choose synthesis or control. Control being the wait-a-bit status quo solution.

Honestly, I think the reapers are right. It's really the Von Neumann machine problem. AIs are so much better than organic life, thus on a cosmic scale, eventually, AIs will dominate. And then there would just be a cold, metal universe full of AIs and nothing else ever until the end of the universe.

In the near infinite future of the universe, there will be near infinite numbers of civilisations. X% will create their own AI. X% of those would be hostile to organic life. X% of those would get very very good at killing. And X% would be much more thorough than the Reapers are.

And yes, the game does not go into nearly enough detail about this. I mean, it would be a lot more persuasive if, for instance, the Reapers told you about cycles 2 to 57 which all ended in the creation of VN Beserkers, with cycle 57 culminating in 97.3% of planets in the galaxy transformed into grey goo death worlds until the Reapers intervened.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 26, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Waltzing Along posted:

Mario RPG had Bowser as a party member.

sassassin posted:

It feels like that because it's exactly what they have done, repeatedly over the course of the 3 games. They flip sides at a moments notice. Blow em all up.

Even from the first moment you learn about the Geth war from Tali in ME1, you recognize that it's all the Quarians' fault and the Geth only ever wanted to survive.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

My Q-Face posted:

Also Super Paper Mario, and as I recall The Thousand-Year Door had between-chapter interludes where you played as him too. (At least I'm pretty sure that was TTYD.)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Agreed the AI that tells you that organic and synthetic war is inevitable is also the same AI that went mad and built robots to slaughter billions of people so I don't think there's any reason to think it's incapable of error.

Yeah, I'm not taking the word of my newly revealed greatest enemy at face value.

Kajeesus posted:

The Ending makes it clear that Synthesis was written to be the best "magically fix everything" Bioware choice. The ending was also written by morons in a closed room for the express purpose of not getting any feedback. The part of the game that had actual editing says that Destroy is the best option though.

It also ignores that this "inevitable" conflict is facilitated by the Reapers deliberately guiding everyone down the same path and brainwashing sentients to act as their foot soldiers and incite distrust whenever it's convenient. Not to mention the sheer, completely unnecessary cruelty they display in their genocides. Nothing could ever convince me that their "good intentions" were anywhere near enough to make their atrocities anything close to a grim necessity. The Starchild is full of it: malfunctioning at best, lying out its glowing rear end at worst.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kajeesus posted:

Really, the best option is the one that the writers apparently didn't even think about. Control > fly all the Reapers into stars.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Sucks the endings weren't on more equal footing. Synth shouldn't have needed the highest war asset score to achieve it, Destroy shouldn't have killed Geth&EDI, Control should have a Husk'd TIM shaking a raised fist at Shepard, and none of the endings should have Shepard die. Still bad for the lack of context and follow up (original endings) but at least no one would care about Synth except for people that always went with the compromise / make everyone happy route in the game. Do [good action], do [bad action], or [compromise] has pretty much been in every mission / quest for DA and ME games right? The one time to really make that shine and it just doesn't happen.

Was thinking about Bioware game choices and for DA3 little snippets of info about you have to choose between mages or templars, no compromise supposedly. That's something I'd like to see more of in ME4. Be a dick or a hero but no hashing things out and letting everyone live.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fag Boy Jim posted:

same but for the geth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lycus posted:

Really, the best option is the one that the writers apparently didn't even think about. Control > fly all the Reapers into stars.

How does one man control a Nation in one form? You'd take "control" and be swayed by a million voices and before you know it you're floating over the salarian homeworld vapourising anyone who looks like they're conducting genetic research (cause if you go the control root I'll bet you're some commie krogan sympathiser).

You can't just kill the reaper ships and be rid of the reaper threat. They can build new ones. The geth carry their code, husks cover planets, artifacts hidden everywhere... Everything needs to go.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

sassassin posted:

How does one man control a Nation in one form?

Shepard is no mere man! Or woman.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
People that make a big deal about the Geth lying to Shepard forget that Victus, the Salarians and especially the Asari are keeping secrets and lying constantly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've always agreed with the correct opinion that Destroy is the best option, but I'd have changed my mind if Control had allowed you to:

Lycus posted:

Control > fly all the Reapers into stars.

Starchild: EDI and the Geth will die oh and also you will die too. There's no way around this.
Shepard: Uhhh, have you not been paying attention to what I've done over the last three games? :clint:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I think the "happy ending" is Destroy High EMS. I just finished the series, and the Geth were my favorite race (gently caress Quarians 4 lyfe), and yeah, it sucked to kill them, and it felt like a dick move, but you can rebuild the Geth and rebuild EDI (And I didn't feel bad about depriving Joker of his robo boner), you can't rebuild Shepard. Well, not really. Lazarus nonwithstanding. I picked Synth the first go, but it just felt...uh...:psyduck:

Also if you aren't a Bro-gan you aren't allowed in my galaxy :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Tezcatlipoca posted:

People that make a big deal about the Geth lying to Shepard forget that Victus, the Salarians and especially the Asari are keeping secrets and lying constantly.
Yeah everybody loving lies, the Alliance included. "Nosir, we never did no black ops on no Batarian bases!" Legion doesn't tell you poo poo then explains why he didn't tell you poo poo. "You're ok but some of your friends are assholes." The Asari just hoard Prothean info and never tell anyone about it until it's too late and it's somehow your fault Thessia gets owned.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LordHippoman posted:

I think the "happy ending" is Destroy High EMS. I just finished the series, and the Geth were my favorite race (gently caress Quarians 4 lyfe), and yeah, it sucked to kill them, and it felt like a dick move, but you can rebuild the Geth and rebuild EDI (And I didn't feel bad about depriving Joker of his robo boner), you can't rebuild Shepard. Well, not really. Lazarus nonwithstanding. I picked Synth the first go, but it just felt...uh...:psyduck:

Also if you aren't a Bro-gan you aren't allowed in my galaxy :colbert:

There is no happy ending in Mass Effect 3 because Mass Effect 3 is art. :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

My Q-Face posted:

Even from the first moment you learn about the Geth war from Tali in ME1, you recognize that it's all the Quarians' fault and the Geth only ever wanted to survive.
the geth are my cool metal bros. I laughed when ME3's ending asked if I would like to destroy my cool metal bros utterly or save them and control my own unstoppable army of spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

2house2fly posted:

the geth are my cool metal bros. I laughed when ME3's ending asked if I would like to destroy my cool metal bros utterly or save them and control my own unstoppable army of spaceships.

I laugh when people think Control or Synthesis were good. :shrug:

• Locked thread