Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In my experience the only useful vantage point is on Rats day 3, as it lets a Thanatos sniper with ammo bags go apeshit on all the special cops coming down the bridge with a far better perspective than on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

JerikTelorian posted:

Also, having the Camera Link gives you the foreknowledge of knowing where each and every camera is before you turn the corner.

the thing is, with that it still doesn't matter too much, because camera alert slowly and just let you know to go back the way you came.

My stealth planning is ALWAYS keycard in manager's office, cake in canteen, two bodybag drops, open door. Exactly 10 favors, not too needy on requirements and doesn't have us jumping off the building onto the van.

My loud planning is doctor bag, ammo bag, and bus, and that's all you can buy with the favors if I remember right before running out.

McSpanky posted:

In my experience the only useful vantage point is on Rats day 3, as it lets a Thanatos sniper with ammo bags go apeshit on all the special cops coming down the bridge with a far better perspective than on the ground.

The problem with this though, is that then your team yells at you because you're not with them attacking cops that are at the far end of the bridge from the start (reasonably), all vantage points suck sadly :(

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

McSpanky posted:

It's too far away from the bus IMO. Sure you can pick off specials near the bus, but it's really hard to pick them off much further past the bus, and if I'm sniping, I don't want the specials to get anywhere near where my teammates are if I can help it.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 27, 2014

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's too bad you can't change gun mods during a mission because Rats day 3 is the only map where I feel like a scope is necessary on sniper rifles.

The worst vantage point has to be Rats day 1. I still haven't done a proper loud Framing Frame, so my experience with that vantage point is just some knob using it in stealth and alerting everyone instantly.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

I disagree with some of this. The canteen cake is a much better choice than the vault area cake, since the canteen is easier to circumnavigate than the vault interior cake location, which blocks almost the entire first half of the lower level of the vault area.

I don't have a problem with the canteen cake so much as the game loves to put the vault right next to the canteen, in effect making that asset useless once you start trying to send people through it. If using the cake asset guaranteed having a second floor timelock it'd be the obvious choice.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Party Plane Jones posted:

2)The drill never really breaks so much that you need extra drill bits.
6)Nobody has ever bought the thermite drills for the vault because of how expensive they are pointwise and the fact that they're slower

I'm still not clear if the drill bits from the pig drop are finite or not, because I've never been on a team that needed more than, I guess maybe about five? I think the idea with the extras is that it gives you a better place to go retrieve extra drill bits than the middle of the big open atrium. It's still not really worth it, just for a different reason.

Thermite is actually pretty nice, and I'm not convinced it's all that much slower when you take into account swapping drill bits on the Beast and having to occasionally fetch extra. The obscene favor cost is a problem though. Also there doesn't seem to be a reason to have three different drop locations.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I don't have a problem with the canteen cake so much as the game loves to put the vault right next to the canteen, in effect making that asset useless once you start trying to send people through it. If using the cake asset guaranteed having a second floor timelock it'd be the obvious choice.

Unless you have really lovely detection risk this shouldn't be a problem? The guard is facing away from the door. There's the occasional risk of being spotted by civs hanging around in there, but only at the extreme left of the door (so basically just when you stick the keycard in).

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

No, the best place for a sniper on Day 3 Rats is right in front of the bus, behind a car, and utterly cherry-picking anything with a pulse coming from the far end.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

404notfound posted:

Having trouble figuring out how the mastermind inspire skill works. Is there a specific range for the speed bonus? It seems like sometimes I tell a guy to go (the speed bonus) and sometimes I tell them to come over here (no speed bonus?). Also, what's the range on the shouting revive?

Don't know about range, but the speed boost is only somewhat noticeable without bags, but when they're carrying money or heavier, the boost is much more apparent. Range on the shout revive is about five meters or so.

Ahhpple posted:

I'm not a newbie and I thought my advice was pretty good. What is it you like about the RPK? Like you, I prefer the KSP at close range but if I wanted a hip fire assault rifle I'd just take an assault rifle.

It's got the best range of the LMGs, it's very ammo-efficient, it fires 100 rounds per mag with a reasonable reload speed. I can land headshots reliably at medium range with it, so I like it against tans if I want a multi-range lead spewer. I got through pretty much every loud death wish mission with it just because it could buzzsaw people at close range, while I could land reliable shots at slightly longer ranges with less tracking shots than a KSP. It definitely needs the Gage Courier stuff to maximize its potential, but I mostly got annoyed that you said it was bad, when it completely isn't.

Geight posted:

I mean, I could see how you can't use it to break boxes behind everyone's back, but if everyone in the bank is already subdued, what would the downside of using the saw be?

It's just that you have to be aware with it. Make sure that all street civs are subdued on basic bank heists, and your teammates are ready to handle street spawns on GO Bank. The saw can be heard all over the map, and if you're too far from a civ that just spawned, it could cause an alert. Just make sure to learn some of the heists for stealth and have good sense, and you'll be okay.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So what are the preferred builds for the LMGs anyway? I've got all the mods ready to go (honestly I've been waiting to use them so I don't immediately get flooded with repeat drops) and I wouldn't mind playing around with them a bit more even if they're not exactly my type of weapon.

I'm assuming maximizing accuracy without sacrificing too much damage or stability is the name of the game?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like the Firestarter 1 vantage point, largely because it's a fairly smooth addition to the overall level, rather than some weird disjoint.

John Murdoch posted:

Thermite is actually pretty nice, and I'm not convinced it's all that much slower when you take into account swapping drill bits on the Beast and having to occasionally fetch extra. The obscene favor cost is a problem though. Also there doesn't seem to be a reason to have three different drop locations.

Don't forget that you don't have to deliver the thermite into the bank! It is an upgrade, but it's not 8 favor worth of upgrade (and since it's competing with bus...)

John Murdoch posted:

So what are the preferred builds for the LMGs anyway? I've got all the mods ready to go (honestly I've been waiting to use them so I don't immediately get flooded with repeat drops) and I wouldn't mind playing around with them a bit more even if they're not exactly my type of weapon.

I'm assuming maximizing accuracy without sacrificing too much damage or stability is the name of the game?

That's how i roll. The only choices are on barrel ext and stock, i went with Competitor's and War Torn, which with the other mods puts me at 40D12A21S (no long barrel). It's enough accuracy that i can land headshots out to 20ish meters reliably and 30 with some effort.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

For all the LMGs I have Competitor's Compensator, Military Laser and War-Torn Stock. On the RPK specifically I have Tactical Foregrip; the Brenner has nothing extra and the KSP would have a Railed Foregrip if I could get it to drop.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Giving teammates a heart attack with giving mistaken advice that nearly blows a stealth run is recommended every now and then.

As long as they don't kick you.

Oops.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tulip posted:

Don't forget that you don't have to deliver the thermite into the bank! It is an upgrade, but it's not 8 favor worth of upgrade (and since it's competing with bus...)

I'm not sure you've used the thermite- it spawns in the vault area, is an inventory item like keys, and takes a couple seconds to activate. It is indeed too steep at 8 favors, but only because the hole it opens is inside one of the cages. It makes the vault entry part of the heist trivial.

SirFozzie posted:

Giving teammates a heart attack with giving mistaken advice that nearly blows a stealth run is recommended every now and then.

As long as they don't kick you.

Oops.

Oh man, details :allears:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
From the same group:

Me: You know, you're still kinda stressed about that honest mistake.. Should I start singing "Let it go?"
Fellow Goon: I will rape your children with a spork if you do.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, accuracy and stability are tits. Everything should get competitor's compensator, mil laser module, and the best stocks you can. I only put the special foregrips on the KSP and Brenner, as the RPK's grip hurts its accuracy a bit too much, but you can get it to the 40 sweet-spot with the grip if it's something you prefer. I like Aced Kilmer for my LMGs, because it means I don't have to run to a safe spot, reload for a while, and get back into the game. I can reload while doing relocating or whatever, which is handy. General accuracy and stability perks are great, and Aced Fully Loaded is pretty much a must. It'll give you 500 rounds for the KSP, and 375 for the Brenner and RPK, while allowing you to keep well-stocked on ammo without having to suck up all of your team's ammo packs. Other than that, there aren't a terrible amount of perks that work for them, beyond stuff that makes you move faster so you're not as weighed down.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not sure you've used the thermite- it spawns in the vault area, is an inventory item like keys, and takes a couple seconds to activate. It is indeed too steep at 8 favors, but only because the hole it opens is inside one of the cages. It makes the vault entry part of the heist trivial.
What makes you think i haven't used the thermite asset? I think it's pretty drat good, i just don't think it's "bus" good. It makes vault entry much easier, but bag extraction is a much nastier point of failure in my experience.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Forgetting that we didn't have the resturaunt in Diamond Heist secured... "Sure! Go ahead and saw open that ATM, we have the map secured."

BZZZZZT

(four new ! appear, causing a mass panic as we go shoot them)

Then next mission, Firestarter day 2: As we make our way in, someone accidentally hits 3 instead of two to switch weapons..

"GRENADE!!"

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 27, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The alternate escapes should really cost a varying amount of favors to balance them out. Like, C4 should be relatively cheap to compensate for all the snipers and, IMO more importantly, the fact that you have to offload all of the bags one at a time via a zipline. (Either that or maybe Bain should just buy more than one, because jeez.) Bus and Elevator are a bit weird because the latter is only a little bit riskier but is usable in stealth; they're otherwise not different enough. Maybe the bus' arrival shouldn't be near-instantaneous.

Thermite is a bit trickier to balance because you're basically electing to streamline the first two thirds of the map in exchange for limiting your resources (and therefore have to use the roof escape).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 27, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I've rebound grenade to numpad 7 for that exact reason. Sorry for my assumption re: thermite- your referring to "delivering it into the bank" made it sound like a bag you had to carry in from the spawnpoint or something.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 27, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

John Murdoch posted:

Like others have said, keeping your accuracy around 12-14 is all you need, that will allow decent accuracy for short bursts. Stability is much more important than other weapons since it will let you keep a burst centered around head height when shooting at a group. Damage isn't as important, as long as you are 35ish its fine. The primary advantage of the LMGs is the ammo pool so don't worry about spending 6-8 shots per tan kill because of your low accuracy/damage, you'll still be on par with other weapons.

When you get better controlling LMGs you will need less shots and the efficiency really gets insane when you need it to be, but you still have the capability to spray bullets when you need to kill cops dead right loving now. For the amount of cops you need to kill on Deathwish the LMG efficiency is almost required if you aren't rocking a techforcer Saiga build or Sniper rifle.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

SirFozzie posted:

Then next mission, Firestarter day 2: As we make our way in, someone accidentally hits 3 instead of two to switch weapons..

"GRENADE!!"

I changed grenade to caps lock because I kept doing this.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Where does one cop begin and the other one end?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hey someone mentioned it to me last night but I've since forgotten the name: what was that overlay thing called that you have to be part of their steam group for?

vvv that sounds familiar! Awesome, thanks :cheers:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 27, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

Hey someone mentioned it to me last night but I've since forgotten the name: what was that overlay thing called that you have to be part of their steam group for?

HoxHud or HoxtunHud, not sure.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
HoxHud.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HoxHud

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Alkydere posted:

Where does one cop begin and the other one end?
I would like a coptaur plush.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

It was me, also still waiting on e-tank to post his video of a dozer getting crushed by Floyd.

Right, Luckily for us, we had another guy who was able to capture the magic. I'll try and get my footage uploaded too, but Kuupa put this together.

http://puu.sh/9zSL4/8663e4a772.webm

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

E-Tank posted:

Right, Luckily for us, we had another guy who was able to capture the magic. I'll try and get my footage uploaded too, but Kuupa put this together.

http://puu.sh/9zSL4/8663e4a772.webm

Let it be known that waiting up in the safety of the crane for someone to tell me to pull the lever was hard work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turns out the Thanatos CQB barrel with the ammo pickup boosts in the enforcer (maybe tech?) tree are a hell of a combo. Add to that the loco and overkill and you're the unconstrained spirit of vengeful wrath visited upon unsuspecting cops. It doesn't even do anything other than increase concealment and decrease stability, but it's something special.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Like how my Reinfeld got twice as vicious when I chopped off the stock and slapped on a wooden pump?

Placebo weapon buffs are the most powerful of all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DoombatINC posted:

Like how my Reinfeld got twice as vicious when I chopped off the stock and slapped on a wooden pump?

Placebo weapon buffs are the most powerful of all.

The best part is that they leave the goddamn bipod on the Thanatos with the CQB barrel.

It makes the barrel so short the flash hider is just poking out from the frame, unless I'm using that bipod like a front grip that poo poo's dumb.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Wow AVG straight up hates the PD2APIDLL1.dll and keeps popping up as Trojan horse Generic11_c.TZ. Hmm.

Edit: Huh, this appears to be "a thing" for lot of people. :shrug:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 27, 2014

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

Wow AVG straight up hates the PD2APIDLL1.dll and keeps popping up as Trojan horse Generic11_c.TZ. Hmm.

Edit: Huh, this appears to be "a thing" for lot of people.

It's kosher. The way it's packed or operates is apparently similar to some viruses. I've had it a couple months with no ill effects.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Just picked it up, takes all of ten seconds to download and install. This add-on is fan-loving-tastic... but my one minor nitpick is that it would be nice if they left the completion "clock" circle on in addition to the countdown timer. I just like it aesthetically and just the numbers alone make it feel kinda sterile.

re: viruses: paid Malwarebytes, at least, doesn't take issue with it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Just picked it up, takes all of ten seconds to download and install. This add-on is fan-loving-tastic... but my one minor nitpick is that it would be nice if they left the completion "clock" circle on in addition to the countdown timer. I just like it aesthetically and just the numbers alone make it feel kinda sterile.

re: viruses: paid Malwarebytes, at least, doesn't take issue with it.

self.show_interact_circle = true --Set to true if you want to see the interact circle and not just the text countdown

in the .lua tweak file, set it to true and you get the timer and the circle.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
It's funny how not seeing the circle, and seeing the actual stock lockpicking time makes it feel like it takes somehow longer and fooooooooorever

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Had a high-level dude join our group of 3 lower-level guys for a bank heist, he cut through the deposit boxes like a hot knife through butter without alerting anybody, and the XP I earned from the mission bumped me up to 40 and allowed me to get a saw of my own to do the same. Saws own, even especially during stealth. :banjo:

Also I purchased the double-barrel shotgun, what's a good secondary to compliment it? If I use my locomotive, they won't share an ammo pool or anything, right?

Geight fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 27, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Geight posted:

Had a high-level dude join our group of 3 lower-level guys for a bank heist, he cut through the deposit boxes like a hot knife through butter without alerting anybody, and the XP I earned from the mission bumped me up to 40 and allowed me to get a saw of my own to do the same. Saws own, even especially during stealth. :banjo:

Also I purchased the double-barrel shotgun, what's a good secondary to compliment it? If I use my locomotive, they won't share an ammo pool or anything, right?

This sounds like he was hacking. There's no such thing as a silent saw. And the locomotive is the best secondary for everything ever.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Discendo Vox posted:

This sounds like he was hacking. There's no such thing as a silent saw. And the locomotive is the best secondary for everything ever.

It wasn't silent, we just had everyone on lockdown. When I used it later there was one dude in the street who heard it so somebody ran out and bagged him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Looks like the Steam sale has also increased the player count for the first Payday.

Pubbing there is so frustrating because I can't magic the idiots back to life. :bang:

• Locked thread