Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
no, seriously, why not?
cm is too small of an increment for dick measuring
usa #1
metric is the light
goku doesn't use it either
View Results

• Locked thread
EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Das Boo posted:

Is driving on the left side of the road for rapists?

More for speakers of incomprehensible gibberish, which explains Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

More for speakers of incomprehensible gibberish, which explains Australia.

so yeah still rapists

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maoist Pussy posted:

Americans use the metric system for precise and/or scientific purposes, girlfriend.

We use the imperial system for measuring the length of your colon, with our dicks.
one feet

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Why can't the world just agree on using one universal 24-hr timezone.

"Oh but it'll be daylight from 1400-0300 instead!" Stop bitching you'll get use to it in like four days.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
metric is lame :)

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Cyks posted:

Why can't the world just agree on using one universal 24-hr timezone.

"Oh but it'll be daylight from 1400-0300 instead!" Stop bitching you'll get use to it in like four days.

I tried to think of a reason why it would be a bad idea but I'm blank. It would be cool if you left New York for LA and actually arrived 6 hours later.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
whenever I get down about people hating America and our freedoms, I remember that we rule the world with an iron fist

makes me feel better and slightly aroused

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

VikingSkull posted:

whenever I get down about people hating America and our freedoms, I remember that we rule the world with an iron fist

makes me feel better and slightly aroused

As average citizens we are also ruled with an iron fist, but we get to buy ipads instead of making ipads. :hellyeah:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

As average citizens we are also ruled with an iron fist, but we get to buy ipads instead of making ipads. :hellyeah:

we pay like 5 different countries to answer our phones

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
I'm angry about units

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hobohemian posted:

I tried to think of a reason why it would be a bad idea but I'm blank. It would be cool if you left New York for LA and actually arrived 6 hours later.

Requires universal consensus from a group of people who can't even agree which imaginary deity told them all to kill each other.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Does it bother them that there is no way to decimalize smell yet? Are metric people mad there are not ten colors in the rainbow, or what? Does their arbitrary favorite number rule their lives entirely?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
Ten isn't arbitrary, it's the basis for our entire numerical system and also the number of fingers I have.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Whiskey Sours posted:

water boils at 100

water freezes at 0

room temperature is 20

americans are retarded

Imperial honestly works better for the average day-to-day poo poo that people do. It could probably be described as a base-4 system more accurately than a base 12, given that just about all the major things that matter are multiples of 4. 12 inches in a foot, divisible by 2,3,4,6. 16 ounces to a pound, divisible by 2,4,8, all of which tend to be measurements that are commonly used.

As far as temperature goes, while Fahrenheit is pretty silly and arbitrary, it does work well for expressing temperature at a human level. Between freezing and 72F (generally considered standard room temperature) you have 40 degrees, whereas from freezing to room temperature in celsius is only 22 degrees, half the flexibility of Fahrenheit. Two thirds of the 0-100 C range are basically useless as far as everyday life goes, because it's all "really loving hot" to "lethal". Sure, water boils at an arbitrary 212 F, but the average person doesn't give a gently caress, the only time they deal with that range of temperature is when they put a pot of water on the stove and turn the knobs to high, and even then its just boiling, no one gives a poo poo about the specific temp.

Basically one is built for precision and standardization, the other is built to be used for everyday situations by the common person.

EDIT: Also fractions are really useful and you must be retarded to not understand how they work.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Whiskey Sours posted:

Ten isn't arbitrary, it's the basis for our entire numerical system and also the number of fingers I have.

12 would be a better base system because it is divisible by 2 and 3 whereas 10 is divisible by 2 and 5, so true metric revolutionaries support the transition to a base 12 system without reservation. throw off the shackles of the old world

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

We increasingly are living in a digital world. If you're going to change bases go to base 16. Plus 10^6 ~= 16^5 so that's an easy way forward.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
base 12 = humanitarian philosophers who love purity, aesthetics and mathematics
base 16 = robotic technocrats who want to immanentize the singularity
base 10 = reactionaries, indefensible

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
100 f was supposed to be body temp too they just hosed up the measurement

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

base 12 = humanitarian philosophers who love purity, aesthetics and mathematics
base 16 = robotic technocrats who want to immanentize the singularity
base 10 = reactionaries, indefensible

base 60? The Babylonians were on to something. We still use it for time, and it's the only scale the whole world agrees on.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

if you dont like the imperial system gently caress you also we will bomb you and be the world's most powerful 3rd world country :patriot:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you wanna measure your dick in inches vs cm?

Who -wouldn't- want to say, 'I have a 15 (cm) dick, baby', vs like 6 inches.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Black Pants posted:

Why would you wanna measure your dick in inches vs cm?

Who -wouldn't- want to say, 'I have a 15 (cm) dick, baby', vs like 6 inches.

Because when you round up it makes your dick seem bigger.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

cm are too small. They are nothing. 15 of nothing is still nothing. Proud American cock must be measured in proud American inches.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

because we don't want any foreign rulers.

it's called a rule not a "ruler" you dumb

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

imperial roolz metric droolz

*sends 5 years of development, $655m orbiter on 286-day mission only to burn it up in mars' atmosphere because i'm too stubborn and stupid to use a system of measurements that isn't complete poo poo*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Vernii posted:

half the flexibility of Fahrenheit.

what the gently caress is this poo poo

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
hey don't tell anybody but a lot of countries that officially use the metric system are full of people who use imperial units when doing common things bc they are units based on the common things they are doing and not making the numbers look pretty in your thesis oaahhhhh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

The March Hare posted:

hey don't tell anybody but a lot of countries that officially use the metric system are full of people who use imperial units when doing common things bc they are units based on the common things they are doing and not making the numbers look pretty in your thesis oaahhhhh

actually it's because of old people who learned imperial & don't want to let go

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

100's cigarettes are exactly 100mm long, aka 10 centimeters, aka 1 decimeter.

I quit smoking but that's still the only metric unit I can easily visualize.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

imperial roolz metric droolz

*sends 5 years of development, $655m orbiter on 286-day mission only to burn it up in mars' atmosphere because i'm too stubborn and stupid to use a system of measurements that isn't complete poo poo*

lmao imagine being the engineer who hosed that one up

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Exclamation Marx posted:

actually it's because of old people who learned imperial & don't want to let go

also young people

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

THS posted:

lmao imagine being the engineer who hosed that one up

Imagine being the guy who was responsible for him.

(nothing probably happened to that guy other than getting yelled at)

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
who speak english natively

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Morkyz posted:

Because when you round up it makes your dick seem bigger.

...This is wrong. Your penis is supposed to get longer, more girthy, and harder.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
If you think the world is hosed up now, just be glad that the dozens of different alphabet systems in the world don't all use their own symbols for numbers.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

RevSyd posted:

100's cigarettes are exactly 100mm long, aka 10 centimeters, aka 1 decimeter.

I quit smoking but that's still the only metric unit I can easily visualize.

I can easily visualize a gram, but I can also easily visualize 1/8 of an ounce.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Yeah OP, but steam sales are measured in metacritic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

reagan posted:

ahem excuse me it is the english system of measurements. pretty clear who should get the blame ehre

just make sure to use the right name when referring to the american system for checking things and like. don't call it the english system down here in georgia or the resulting lynch mob will leave you rotting in the hot sun

metric is on everything nowadays and that gets people furious enough as is

• Locked thread