Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Verviticus posted:

Jason Botchford @botchford · 45m

Benning: never considered a Russian "want to get this team to a meat and potato style"

boring and not very good?

that sounds like the team they already had last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the canucks second line next season will be bonino-bolland-kassian and it's going to be so great

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Aye Doc posted:

the canucks second line next season will be bonino-bolland-kassian and it's going to be so great

hide your gagners

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

Benning: never considered a Russian "want to get this team to a meat and potato style"

Sedin twins obviously don't fit his. Gimme.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aye Doc posted:

it will literally be this, holy loving poo poo.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Verviticus posted:

I thought teams were trying to get rid of GMs who had the old-school mentality. The canucks are doing everything backwards.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Verviticus posted:

Can we fire him already?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

This is going to be the late 90s Canucks all over again

turbo sex bat 4000
Mar 12, 2001

do you know what the waiting lists are like even to get into an apprentice jerksmanship

dyn posted:

I thought teams were trying to get rid of GMs who had the old-school mentality. The canucks are doing everything backwards.

you never know when it might be the 2011 finals again, have to stay prepared

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Canucks are going to party like its 1999

:shepface:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Number19 posted:

This is going to be the late 90s Canucks all over again

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Nice photoshop

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Verviticus posted:

They don't eat meat or potatoes in Russia so that makes sense

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Verviticus posted:

don cherry syndrome is alive and kicking

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Poonerman posted:

That's the one you get by eating nothing but meat and potatoes?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Aye Doc posted:

that's the first line. the second line will feature good old canadian boys bo, jake and dane

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Poonerman posted:

NOW, LISTEN, LET ME TELL YA ABOUT THIS KID HERE SHERBARK, YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GET THIS KINDA BALONEY FROM A GOOD KID FROM ONTARIUH

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?

a false posted:

NOW, LISTEN, LET ME TELL YA ABOUT THIS KID HERE SHERBARK, YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GET THIS KINDA BALONEY FROM A GOOD KID FROM ONTARIUH

SHURBACK YA HES FOR SURE GOIN BACK TA RUSSIA AFTER TAKIN JAHBS FROM GOOD CANADIAN BOYS AM I RIGHT

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Austrian mook posted:

Bones is probably an okay bottom 6 forward

Better than that - he is clutch as gently caress. Is ready for 2nd line center duty with a team that is lacking in centers.

I didnt get to see the draft - why was the Tampa pick kid racist?

Also when did Ho Sang say cocky things that were quoted and used by teams as proof that self confidence is bad? Was it in interviews?

quote:

'how do you feel about playing for the canucks'

"it is what it is"

Off to a great start

I wonder what the Canucks (other than Garrison) and Flyers offered for the 1st pick

Do we see the Hawks trade for Thornton tomorrow?

So who is surprisingly still availble for the 2nd round? Claude's kid and Barbashev?

Big Burke has full on Cowboy Hat Hair lately

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jedimastafez posted:

Also when did Ho Sang say cocky things that were quoted and used by teams as proof that self confidence is bad? Was it in interviews?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

this talks about stuff he said in interviews but he also has some quotes that come off as cocky in there. he stated that the quotes were used out of context and seeing as steve simmons wrote this article i don't doubt that in the slightest. simmons and his probably-manipulative journalism notwithstanding, it's a pretty good read. even out of context nothing he says in there bothers me, if he's a football player that's exactly the poo poo you'd expect him to say.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
So who should the Rangers be drafting today?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Overtime goal scorers.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Mr. Kite posted:

Overtime goal scorers.

sorry, the devils drafted adam henrique yesterday

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

So who should the Rangers be drafting today?

id be happy to pick demko or nedeljkovic or kahkonen if they're on the board, we need goaltenders in our system. we should also load up with some D too though, probably. if we were to pick 2 goalies and the rest D with our picks and hope that something sticks that would probably be an OK strategy. there don't look to be a lot of solid upside forwards left when we pick.

nicholas aube-kubel is an interesting name though. didn't score a ton but had excellent p/60m. he's ranked 40th on the ISS list so he'll probably be gone by when we pick but if he's on the board we should grab him

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

a false posted:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

this talks about stuff he said in interviews but he also has some quotes that come off as cocky in there. he stated that the quotes were used out of context and seeing as steve simmons wrote this article i don't doubt that in the slightest. simmons and his probably-manipulative journalism notwithstanding, it's a pretty good read. even out of context nothing he says in there bothers me, if he's a football player that's exactly the poo poo you'd expect him to say.

Even if the things he said in the article were true, the teams passed on him for their own reason. I don't think a bunch of scouts and management would judge a dude based on a lovely article by Steve loving Simmons. They interviewed the kid too and he probably rubbed them the wrong way by his answers.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dunno in a draft with only 5 picks I don't think I'd use two on goalies

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

dyn posted:

Even if the things he said in the article were true, the teams passed on him for their own reason. I don't think a bunch of scouts and management would judge a dude based on a lovely article by Steve loving Simmons. They interviewed the kid too and he probably rubbed them the wrong way by his answers.

oh absolutely, i'm sure he gave off some of the same impression with his interview answers and teams had already made their decisions about him prior to the simmons article but it's stupid to say that you absolutely won't draft a kid because he's brash and self confident and then assert that that's somehow going to make him unable to perform as a part of a team when there's been absolutely no indication of that in his play

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Based on what's being said in the media so far, teams judged Ho Sang based off the fact that he's black and brash and arrogant and heaven forbid we get a second PK Subban in the league and actually have some exciting players who aren't boring good old Canadian boy robots

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aye Doc posted:

Based on what's being said in the media so far, teams judged Ho Sang based off the fact that he's black and brash and arrogant and heaven forbid we get a second PK Subban in the league and actually have some exciting players who aren't boring good old Canadian boy robots

You are a sensationalist moron.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Teams interviewing him were comparing him to the Harlem Globetrotters and got annoyed that he reacted negatively to it sooooo

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the media is really dumb, and there are concerns beyond the fact that he's a black guy with personality

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Anyone looking for a stream for round 2+ can go here:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=626027

Also I am sad to see Kesler go and don't know a lot about the draft but the anger/depression in here by some of CAS seems slightly overblown.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aye Doc posted:

Teams interviewing him were comparing him to the Harlem Globetrotters and got annoyed that he reacted negatively to it sooooo

Because he's the most offensive/flashy player in the draft by far. I've heard that about white players too. A ton people said it about Rob Schremp. Google the two names together if you don't believe me.

People like you are the only ones bringing up race. Also, I'm one of Ho-Sang's big detractors, so by your logic I must hate PK Subban, right? Well do a forums search and all you'll find is me signing PK's praises about the way he plays on the ice and acts off of it since before the dude was drafted. Not everything is about race.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Paulocaust posted:

People like you are the only ones bringing up race. Also, I'm one of Ho-Sang's big detractors, so by your logic I must hate PK Subban, right? Well do a forums search and all you'll find is me signing PK's praises about the way he plays on the ice and acts off of it since before the dude was drafted. Not everything is about race.

oh for fucks sake

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I'm not racist, all my favorite players are black

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tofes posted:

I'm not racist, all my favorite players are black

He literally brought up that people do it because they hate guys like Subban. I used his example to show that that wasn't the case. I didnt pick a random black player and say "look I like a black guy". You guys are hilarious.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Oh look, the Vancouver Canucks made a smart pick.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
thats seriously the best they could do? what the gently caress is wrong with this dude? he was supposed to be GOOD at drafting

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Don't like early round goalie picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thatcher Demko is really good. Freshmen are rarely starters and he was very good for BC. He's big and athletic, pretty much all you could ask from a goaltender. He's fairly acrobatic and we had zero goaltenders in the pipeline. I don't mind the pick at all.

• Locked thread