Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

onemillionzombies posted:

I believe Brandon Bollig's only Stanley Cup Finals appearance was game 2 where he made an awful turnover that was almost instantly converted into an overtime winning goal.

Yup, he was a healthy scratch for all of that, and should have been scratched for all of this one.

Although if any of you are worried about the Hawks lacking punchmens, Bowman is already touting Brandon Mashinter as his replacement. He'll provide the same thing as Bollig does, but for a minimum contract. Here's just hoping they don't fall as in love with him as they did with Bollig and try to play him every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

a false posted:

come michael. to the islanders.

This would actually be pretty funny.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

toxicsunset posted:

Rob Scuderi has two stanley cups. Two. That means we should get twice as much for him

2x0=0

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
That Klein-Del Zotto trade was dumb :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Del Zotto didn't play that badly, did he?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

grack posted:

Del Zotto didn't play that badly, did he?

he was scratched a lot for nashville, no?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Is it worth paying for Hockey Prospectus?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
With Spezza severely limiting where he'll go and Anaheim seemingly out of the running, the price is steadily dropping on Spezza :getin:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

a false posted:

he was scratched a lot for nashville, no?

I think he was only scratched once or twice but I didn't think he was very impressive (though I dunno what his fancy stats were like).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I love how the Hawks escape real cap consequences again! Until next summer :ohdear:

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I thought Spezza was looking for a trade to a less "hockey" market where he wouldn't be under so much scrutiny. Nashville pretty much defines that. What gives?

(come to DC Jason - our media only cares about Ovechkin)

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Nail Rat posted:

I love how the Hawks escape real cap consequences again! Until next summer :ohdear:

They'll dump Bickell's dumb contract on someone, surely.

"He's a truculent, Cup winning, character guy who adds real grit and tenacity and experience," etc.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Naet posted:

They'll dump Bickell's dumb contract on someone, surely.

"He's a truculent, Cup winning, character guy who adds real grit and tenacity and experience," etc.

Bickell does actually know how to play but not for four million a year

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Mike_V posted:

With Spezza severely limiting where he'll go and Anaheim seemingly out of the running, the price is steadily dropping on Spezza :getin:

they'll take berglund and they'll like it

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Aurora posted:

Bickell does actually know how to play but not for four million a year

Yeah, I'm not totally against what Bickell does but he's replaceable if they need to dump salary.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
Bickell is the Bolland of wingers. Toronto will pick him up soon enough.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Thank gawd Brandon Bollig and his 1 assist, lovely possession numbers, and 5 minutes a game in the playoffs will show the young kids how to be a true winner. You don't get 4 shifts and 2.5 minutes of ice time in a game 7 unless you've got proven playoff intangibles.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Misanthrope posted:

Thank gawd Brandon Bollig and his 1 assist, lovely possession numbers, and 5 minutes a game in the playoffs will show the young kids how to be a true winner. You don't get 4 shifts and 2.5 minutes of ice time in a game 7 unless you've got proven playoff intangibles.

Now I can feel schadenfreude about these posts :twisted:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Wait... Bollig and Bolland were two different players?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spamtron7000 posted:

I thought Spezza was looking for a trade to a less "hockey" market where he wouldn't be under so much scrutiny. Nashville pretty much defines that. What gives?

Spezza had a list of 10 teams where he wouldn't go. Canada + lovely teams. Looks like he defined Nashville as a lovely team.

Murray had the list pretty early in the process. Tough to blame a player when he was pretty up-front about what teams he would say no to a trade with.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If I were Spezza I would definitely take a year of feeding pucks to Neal in Nashville, but I guess he can still ask for a trade at the deadline and get sent to a surefire contender.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mike Colligan posted:

Mike Colligan ‏@MikeColligan 3m
According to @LouisJean_TVA, agent Pat Brisson confirmed #Pens among 6 teams interested in Martin Brodeur

A platoon of Fleury/Brodeur would be gloriously hilarious. There would be poo poo goals let in literally every time the Pens play.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 25m
Loiselle on TSN Radio "Polak is a guy we've had our eye on for awhile. He brings more sandpaper to his game & he's a right hand shot"

comngrautlions on your sandpaper guys

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Spezza's a pretty smart guy.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think Dallas winds up getting Spezza for peanuts.

Brodeur on Toronto or Pittsburgh would be incredible

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Gotta feel bad for Spezza, Karlsson, and Alfredson. They looked like a team on the upswing, until Melnyk went cheap and basically drove Alfredson away while handicapping any personal decisions by the "internal budget".

Can't really blame players for wanting to get out of that type of environment.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So according to Anaheims top scout, the 10th overall pick was never in play this offseason, Murray assured them he wasn't going to trade it for Ryan Kessler.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Gotta feel bad for Spezza, Karlsson, and Alfredson. They looked like a team on the upswing, until Melnyk went cheap and basically drove Alfredson away while handicapping any personal decisions by the "internal budget".

Can't really blame players for wanting to get out of that type of environment.

All I hope for now is that Karlsson can get out. :negative:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
Coyotes keep their streak alive by drafting Al MacInnis's son. Only a few years away from being able to assemble a team completely made up of star children.

Naet posted:

I would love to see what Nashville could do with a good offense, especially now that Detroit is in the East. Spezza/Neal could've been interesting.
Originally they went after Spezza and when that didn't work they made the trade for Neal. Getting both of them didn't seem to be Poile's plan.

deafmute fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 28, 2014

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
I feel like all these "sandpaper" and "meat and potatoes" moves are GMs deliberately ignoring stats in order to prove the old ways work.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Well the guy (Nikita Scherbak) that the Habs took in the 1st round this year seems a lot better than last year's Mike "Bad" McCarron, so that's nice. Not ready to throw in the towel on McCarron yet but he seems like he's a long way from NHL-ready.

Captain Geech posted:

I feel like all these "sandpaper" and "meat and potatoes" moves are GMs deliberately ignoring stats in order to prove the old ways work.

lol the Habs traded up to get Brett Lernout, who the scouting report makes sound like Doug Murray 2.0

"Very large intimidating defender who projects as a 6 or 7 who takes advantage of his chances to play by arriving in a bad mood ready to punish the opposition with ever chance."

"There is room for him to get bigger and stronger, and with that his balance and feet may catch up."

Read: he is slow as gently caress, a bad skater, and is going to punch people

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If we get real big tough and scary the other team's players will run away and not shoot on us!

My proposal: Clone Hal Gill for every position.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Stanos posted:

If we get real big tough and scary the other team's players will run away and not shoot on us!

My proposal: Clone Hal Gill for every position.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

VJeff posted:

I mean I'm just guessing based on recurring patterns here, but he'll probably wait until his number 1 center has an infection all year and do absolutely nothing to secure an alternative, embarrass his country on an international stage, ice a bunch of replacement level players and then blame the coach as if it was his fault.

Actually it'd be really funny and fitting if Poile gave Bolland 7 years, put him next to Neal and was like "WHY AREN'T THE GOALS COMING"

God you're just horrible a good 90% of the time

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Ginette Reno posted:

A platoon of Fleury/Brodeur would be gloriously hilarious. There would be poo poo goals let in literally every time the Pens play.

Backup goalie brodeur isn't a terrible option if he could be signed cheap. He has unrealistic expectations on his worth tho so I'm betting he's expecting 3.5

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Ginette Reno posted:

The only thing better than Brodeur loving up the Devils for 20-30 games a year would be him loving up the Penguins for 20-30 games a year. I don't know what I did to deserve this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Backup goalie brodeur isn't a terrible option if he could be signed cheap. He has unrealistic expectations on his worth tho so I'm betting he's expecting 3.5

Brodeur in any type of situation where he's actually playing is a terrible option. He's 42 and his last two seasons have been awful.

You want him to mentor a younger goalie? Hire him as a coach or consultant.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

grack posted:

Brodeur in any type of situation where he's actually playing is a terrible option.

What if I want the team to crater so hard that MLSE has no choice but to flush the system from Leiweke on through to Carlyle, and pick up Connor McDavid in the process?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

What if I want the team to crater so hard that MLSE has no choice but to flush the system from Leiweke on through to Carlyle, and pick up Connor McDavid in the process?

Clarification: A terrible option if you want your team to be any good next season.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
Sounds like you want Brodeur plus the 8 year Bolland deal :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
Are the Leafs going to trade Reimer or are they just going to not give him a QO?

• Locked thread