Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

scotty posted:

This is amazing. What a great composition and execution. What are you struggling with exactly, these look all spot on?

The colors mostly.

Shadows look too red, bedspread looks too saturated, faces look too red. It's mostly just frustration with Photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...

Trambopaline posted:

Would i be mad buying a Fuji GX680 with a 100mm lens as my first medium format camera? They seem like insane studio cameras, but one's popped up at a price that I would probably be able to accept. Would you even take on outside? Are they utterly painful to use?

Edit: There seems to be a bit of a blip in the MF format around here, everything's being asked for a bit more than i'm used to seeing on the classified. Should I hold out for a pentax 67 that is of a reasonable price? What about RB/RZ setups?

I went with an RB67 setup, which is a considerably smaller camera (never thought I'd get to say that to anyone) that handles similarly to the Fuji. If you want more advanced features, I'd go with an RZ over the Fuji, simply because it's easier to handle. If you're really concerned about that extra centimeter of negative, the RB67 Pro-SD can shoot 6x8 with the 6x8 motorized back, which is usually cheaper than than the non-motorized 6x7 back, but you do need to track down a special finder and I'm not sure what that goes for because I prefer 6x7 for enlarging. RB67 gear also seems to be easier to find online.
I shoot my RB67 Pro-SD almost exclusively outside, because once you're walking around with a tripod, I figure it's going to be cumbersome no matter what camera is attached to it. It's just the weight can get to be a bit much on a long trip out.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I think I'm just getting antsy. Now that I have a job and have saved a bit, the inexpensive kits have dried up. There's a 3 lens pentax 6x7 kit that someone's asking 4000 dollars for around here. I think I'll just have to bide my time and wait for a good deal to come my way.

I would mostly intend to use my future MF camera to do more on the fly stuff outside. I want to take more pictures of my friends and landscapes and stuff with that short depth of field and to mess with film some more as well. I'm not against the idea of carrying a tripod around but yeah I don't think I want a camera that's born and bred to be a studio camera like what the GX680 sounds like it's supposed to be.

The tonality of a well metered and composed large 120 negative really blows me away and I want to try my hand at that.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Trambopaline posted:

I think I'm just getting antsy. Now that I have a job and have saved a bit, the inexpensive kits have dried up. There's a 3 lens pentax 6x7 kit that someone's asking 4000 dollars for around here. I think I'll just have to bide my time and wait for a good deal to come my way.

I think you can easily get a Pentax 6x7 with a 105/2.4 for under 1k on KEH. Even adding a wide 55/4 lens probably wouldn't run you more than 1.3k. A 3-lens $4k 6x7 kit does sound a bit crazy.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Trambopaline posted:

I would mostly intend to use my future MF camera to do more on the fly stuff outside. I want to take more pictures of my friends and landscapes and stuff with that short depth of field and to mess with film some more as well. I'm not against the idea of carrying a tripod around but yeah I don't think I want a camera that's born and bred to be a studio camera like what the GX680 sounds like it's supposed to be.

I reckon you should seriously consider the Mamiya TLRs with interchangeable lenses, should be able to get a good three lens kit for < $500 on KEH.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Or a Bronica - can get a whole kit on KEH for around $400. To save weight you don't need a metered prism either, I paid extra for one but use a hand held light meter most of the time anyway so it is kind of redundant.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've got a SQ-Ai too, great camera, very carry-around-able, plus you can switch backs.

I tried a Mamiya 645 pro for my first MF, fixed prism, and I hated it, I found it really awkward. Then I got a SQ-Ai with a WLF, happy days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jealous of your double exposure light :saddowns:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Gutzlaff Street, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trambopaline posted:

The tonality of a well metered and composed large 120 negative really blows me away and I want to try my hand at that.

$4k?!

I got my 6x7 on ebay with two lenses for $502, including shipping japan>usa.

4k is ridiculous.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Trambopaline posted:

There's a 3 lens pentax 6x7 kit that someone's asking 4000 dollars for around here. I think I'll just have to bide my time and wait for a good deal to come my way.

$4k will get you a GF670, a Chamonix/Shan Hao 4x5, a full Bronica SQ kit and probably enough change for a v700 or a Contax G1.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Kinda related I guess, just stumbled upon this in my Tumblr.
Congrats Ansel Autisms I guess!

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Well to be fair these are NZD rather than USD, and there's also a 67II and a 105mm for 1150 locally.

It's the small country tax. The customs fees make KEH not hugely cheaper and the second hand market is tiny. I haven't seen a Bronica GS 1 being sold online for 2 years now. I might just import my own second hand kit when I get time to nut out all the details then.

Edit: Also, since you made me look it up, a new Fuji GF670 is $5399 here. :negative:

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 20, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

The thing about KEH though is that the warranty and service lives up to the hype, way better than taking a gamble on ebay.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

KEH is also somewhere I don't want to deal as someone not in the US. They require dumb documentation before they want to deal with foreigners, photo of credit card or something like that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I haven't had any problems with them buying from the UK of Australia. Customs fees in the UK were flat out robbery, as least in Oz you get a waver on anything < $1000.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Another from my trip to San Francisco

Golden Gate by spikemccue, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I got my P67 from KEH today.

My first impression when I pulled the body out of the shipping box was: "This isn't so heavy!" This thing looks MINT and was listed as a BGN. I don't know how or why, but I'll take it.

Then I installed the metered prism. "Hrm, still not too heavy."

Then I installed the 55 f/4 lens. "Holy poo poo this weighs a ton."

I'm waiting for a battery to show up so I can start using this.

Edit: Size matters.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 20, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

deaders posted:

The thing about KEH though is that the warranty and service lives up to the hype, way better than taking a gamble on ebay.

I don't think KEH is as good at checking condition/functionality as they used to be. Sure, they've got that money back guarantee, but you're still out round trip postage both ways if it's a dud, which if you're overseas can really add up. For example, they sent me an allegedly BGN Hassie 50mm f/4 with a dented in filter ring (must have been using a stock photo), no way to mount a filter. Granted, I don't use filters, but it would certainly effect resale value and I wouldn't have paid what I did for it had I known the true condition. Of course, they offered me a return for full refund, but I would have been out more than the money I saved (not even that much), so I just sucked it up and kept it.

For that reason, I tend to prefer private sales (from people on community sites or eBay, who have tested the thing explicitly, know what they're talking about, and have a reputation at stake) if I'm overseas. A knowledgeable, individual seller scrutinises what they're selling a lot more, whereas I feel with KEH in the last few years they've realised it's more economical for them to only give their stuff a cursory once-over, and deal with returns as they come.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't think KEH is as good at checking condition/functionality as they used to be. Sure, they've got that money back guarantee, but you're still out round trip postage both ways if it's a dud, which if you're overseas can really add up. For example, they sent me an allegedly BGN Hassie 50mm f/4 with a dented in filter ring (must have been using a stock photo), no way to mount a filter. Granted, I don't use filters, but it would certainly effect resale value and I wouldn't have paid what I did for it had I known the true condition. Of course, they offered me a return for full refund, but I would have been out more than the money I saved (not even that much), so I just sucked it up and kept it.

For that reason, I tend to prefer private sales (from people on community sites or eBay, who have tested the thing explicitly, know what they're talking about, and have a reputation at stake) if I'm overseas. A knowledgeable, individual seller scrutinises what they're selling a lot more, whereas I feel with KEH in the last few years they've realised it's more economical for them to only give their stuff a cursory once-over, and deal with returns as they come.

I've had to return 2 RB67 lenses to KEH - one with a shutter that fired maybe 1/20 shots, the other with a dent in the mounting ring so it couldn't be attached to the body. Not having a test body for every lens mount they sell could explain the first, and it seemed like the second happened in shipping - it definitely came back with more bubble wrap the second time around. I never paid for shipping after my initial purchase both times, and the second copy of each lens was just fine.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I had a lens arrive from them with a small scratch on the front element (also BGN condition) and some focus issues. They paid for my return postage ($40 from Australia) and shipped a replacement at their expense.

The thing about their descriptions is that BGN does have a lot of scope for superficial damage including small scratches and dents to filter rings, it's just that the majority of the time it doesn't affect normal usage or image quality.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
6x12

Malheur by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your late poo poo has been pretty on point, hope this helps.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

My jaw dropped. Well done.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Scanning 14 rolls from a few months abroad.

The Blue Mosque, Istanbul by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009
First up the last couple of pages have had some steller photos on it. I am gearing up for a big photo project, and I am also broke as a joke. I got a bunch of good film, but I had to settle with getting a big brick of Arista edu because its cheap as gently caress. I shot a couple test rolls, and got back some mixed results, but this one I am in love with. Not all of it is the film quality, but for such a cheap film I think it looks pretty good. This is a straight scan with no editing besides a couple of dust spots.
Favorite Photo, Favorite Friend by OjaiYoda, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
ojaiyoda, pay attention to your edges when you're cropping. you still have two sides that have thin black protrusions. anyway, xposting from film thread:

Lake Köyceğiz, Turkey by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Im That One Guy posted:

Just gonna do a little shameless plug. I'm currently selling my P6x7 kit in the photo gear buy thread for $425 shipped.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=190#post431391855
Price drop to $360 shipped

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Im That One Guy posted:

Price drop to $360 shipped

STOP IT! I've just moved and can't shouldn't buy it, please stop!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

Do it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Primo Itch posted:

Buy it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ugh double post

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Primo Itch posted:

Several months ago another medium-format SLR system was up for a price that had dropped considerably over the preceeding few weeks. I bought it. NO REGRETS!!

Buy that loving P6x7, shoot big-rear end negs all day long.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

once you go MF you never go back

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Hello everybody.

I just got myself a Tachi 8x10 with a Nikkor-W 360mm. Am very excited (e: even more surface area for dust :getin: )

Booked in to do a wet plate course when I get home in a few weeks.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 29, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

Hello everybody.

I just got myself a Tachi 8x10 with a Nikkor-W 360mm. Am very excited.

Booked in to do a wet plate course when I get home in a few weeks.

Nice! Sorry, slipped my mind about the tripod exchange, you still potentially interested?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Nice! Sorry, slipped my mind about the tripod exchange, you still potentially interested?

Not at this stage. thanks anyway! (I forgot too!)
I got a Berlebach 2023. Will see how that goes. Hopefully it performs well for the tachi.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

deaders posted:

once you go MF you never go back

I know that so well. I have a Pentacon six that poo poo the bed and can't get anyone to fix it for a reasonable price, and my toyo broke the cheap tripod I had so I can't use it either. I'm going thru negative abstinence right now, 35mm is like trying to smoke weed to stop your heroine addiction, but I just moved to a new house, so I really shouldn't buy anything this month. If he still has it next month and my finances go well maybe, but right now all I can do is lust after that huge dorky camera (and think of ways of making myself a 120 rangefinder from an old pack polaroid and a 4x5 120 film holder....)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
My father seems to have contracted a mental illness and wants to buy a large format, most likely a 4x5. I know little to nothing about 4x5 except that I can't afford it. He's been talking about horseman cameras, are they any good? Or is there another make that would be a better choice for some one who's trying it out for the first time?

• Locked thread