Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Korranus posted:

This trial in my opinion is pretty irrelevant due to the appeals process; the Ninth Circuit version of this trial will be the real show. And then that decision will go to the Supreme Court. I think given the NCAA's experience with the Ninth Circuit in this case so far they eventually will rule in favor of O'Bannon and a few years after SCOTUS will choose to not hear the case. Our kids might be talking about this case when they become new goons.

Yeah this decision alone isn't going to change everything, but it's still a pretty major first step.

Also this just happened:

Stewart Mandel's twitter posted:

Wilken tells NCAA she's having trouble seeing the pro-competitive benefit of academic integration in something like a video game market.

quote:

NCAA lawyer: it's pro competitive benefit that student athletes aren't distracted from money & can instead focus on being a student-athlete.

We can't pay student-athletes, then they'd be distracted from being student-athletes! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So Bill Connelly is doing his Big XII previews and he's got Tech up (also Iowa State and Kansas): http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/27/5842750/texas-tech-football-2014-preview-schedule-roster

The TLDR is that he thinks Tech will struggle to get to 6 wins and may not make a bowl game. What a load of horse poo poo, we get OSU early (before our depth issues bite us in the rear end) and there is no way that bunch of inbred bootlickers beat us a loving 6th time in a row (loving TUBBERVILE gently caress), Texas and OU in Lubbock (I don't give a poo poo that OU is a monster, EVEN THAT HACK PINEBOX BEAT THEM ONCE JUST WATCH) and I BELIEVE WE CAN WIN vs KSU and Baylor.

Yeah loving right TCU beats us, I'm fairly certain that they are allergic to Touchdowns and one off-season of getting ministered to by Spread guys (some from Tech no less) isn't going to change that.

We get 7 for sure, maybe 8.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
You're in for some disappointment.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Is that the line you use on all the Ladies?

No I'm actually feeling good about this year because experience has taught me that Tech always does better than the sports nerds think.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

So Central Arkansas, UTEP, West Virginia, Kansas, and Iowa State are reliable wins for TT, but that's five. KSU and Baylor are both coached by wizards, so it's weird that you think they'd be Tech's magic wins. OU and Texas are OU and Texas. So that leaves a toss-up with TCU, who have been acclimating to the Big XII more and more, but let's give Tech the benefit of the doubt. Six.

Hey, that's 5-6 more wins than KU will get this year!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

collegefootball.txt

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Tech as a 6 win team is almost exactly where I'd put them, actually.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Quandary posted:

Tech as a 6 win team is almost exactly where I'd put them, actually.

The more I think on it, the more I'm inclined to agree - though them picking up 2 more wins or so wouldn't shock me at all, depending on how they adjust to not having Amaro. Davis Webb might be getting hyped even harder for one good bowl performance than Trevor Knight is.

:v:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 28, 2014

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Yes doubt it MORE.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You are forgetting that Kliff will be one the sideline distracting the opposing team with his perfectly stubbled cheekbones and playful smile and that's at least 2 extra wins

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Numlock posted:

So Bill Connelly is doing his Big XII previews and he's got Tech up (also Iowa State and Kansas): http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/27/5842750/texas-tech-football-2014-preview-schedule-roster

The TLDR is that he thinks Tech will struggle to get to 6 wins and may not make a bowl game. What a load of horse poo poo, we get OSU early (before our depth issues bite us in the rear end) and there is no way that bunch of inbred bootlickers beat us a loving 6th time in a row (loving TUBBERVILE gently caress), Texas and OU in Lubbock (I don't give a poo poo that OU is a monster, EVEN THAT HACK PINEBOX BEAT THEM ONCE JUST WATCH) and I BELIEVE WE CAN WIN vs KSU and Baylor.

Yeah loving right TCU beats us, I'm fairly certain that they are allergic to Touchdowns and one off-season of getting ministered to by Spread guys (some from Tech no less) isn't going to change that.

We get 7 for sure, maybe 8.

This is some drat good pre-season posting right here. With that kind of winning attitude, maybe Tech will figure out how to win on that pesky East-West field in Stillwater! And yes, Tubberville sucked balls, so much balls. Bring back the pirate!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

The more I think on it, the more I'm inclined to agree - though them picking up 2 more wins or so wouldn't shock me at all, depending on how they adjust to not having Amaro. Davis Webb might be getting hyped even harder for one good bowl performance than Trevor Knight is.

:v:

I'm going to be completely unsurprised but crushed when Trevor Knight plays this season as a mediocre to average quarterback. It's gonna completely destroy me, and I already know its gonna happen

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is not really an NCAA story except incidentally but it's weird and terrible as hell.

Recardo Wimbush, former Georgia Tech LB (who was pretty good I guess? Team captain and got a cup of coffee in the NFL before being cut right away) kept one of his 10 children locked in the basement with a mattress, box spring and a large plastic jar for a toilet for two years. No light in the room other than a painted over window.

quote:

“The victim had no access to books, toys, entertainment devices, or his siblings.”

The Wimbushes told a judge at a June 19 family court hearing that the 13-year-old was a threat to their other children. The arrest warrant said the child was “sent to the basement of the family house for the past two years in deplorable conditions due to being disobedient.”

Going by the nerd stereotype for all things Georgia Tech I wouldn't expect this to come out of that school. Or...maybe I would, but they don't mention anything about MMOs. At least the kid was in good health physically.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn DB Jonathan Mincy arrested for :420:, about a week after speaking to kids at a D.A.R.E. camp. First time he's been in trouble that I recall and it was in a car with three other guys who could claim it so if I had to guess, I doubt it comes to anything huge.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spiritus Nox posted:

Probably, yeah. You could argue that weed should be legalized, but even so, for Rhodes to take a risk literally weeks after getting arrested (and undoubtedly having it made clear that he was on the brink) was...not the smartest thing he could have possibly done. Hope he gets a shot somewhere else, at least.

In other news: WE GETTING TURF.

This reminds me, the A&M stadium has a fair number of pics:

http://tx.ag/KyleFieldPhotos

For reference, fairly short into construction:

The outside sort of looks like our baseball stadium:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

computer parts posted:

http://tx.ag/KyleFieldPhotos

For reference, fairly short into construction:

The outside sort of looks like our baseball stadium:

I live for the day where I can see this stadium mostly empty on gameday

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

computer parts posted:

You know if A&M is gonna not let people walk on the grass then you think it would be in better shape than that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Breaky posted:

You know if A&M is gonna not let people walk on the grass then you think it would be in better shape than that.

That's a major tailgate location actually.

There's really only one section of campus which has "don't walk on grass" signs but they're the one place on campus where there's no benefit to cut across the grass.

(although apparently the Corps has some dumb thing where only seniors are allowed to walk on any grass at all)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Only seniors can walk on the grass and be gay

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

computer parts posted:

That's a major tailgate location actually.

Ahh that makes sense then.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

This is not really an NCAA story except incidentally but it's weird and terrible as hell.

Recardo Wimbush, former Georgia Tech LB (who was pretty good I guess? Team captain and got a cup of coffee in the NFL before being cut right away) kept one of his 10 children locked in the basement with a mattress, box spring and a large plastic jar for a toilet for two years. No light in the room other than a painted over window.

Going by the nerd stereotype for all things Georgia Tech I wouldn't expect this to come out of that school. Or...maybe I would, but they don't mention anything about MMOs. At least the kid was in good health physically.

That is a crazy story.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raku posted:

Only seniors can walk on the grass and be gay

Froshies carry the senior grode jars while the seniors get to walk on the grass?

Thanks Obama.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Those old stadiums are nice but baylor is gonna have the best by far. Good view, even some shade, looks good from the outside

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Memorial Stadium in Lawrence is removing the track that runs around the field.

Progress.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Probably Magic posted:

Memorial Stadium in Lawrence is removing the track that runs around the field.

Progress.

What's wrong with the track? It's better than the cement slab that circles the field at Kyle Field. It reminds me of high school games.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

leave all tracks in, tracks are cool

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

anne frank fanfic posted:

Those old stadiums are nice but baylor is gonna have the best by far. Good view, even some shade, looks good from the outside

Someone on ODB posted a rough sketch showing how much better the roof and curved decks are going to hold in sound than Floyd Casey did. That's got me pretty excited, because Floyd Casey could get pretty loud on big games too, at least the past couple of years. Although, I'm mostly looking forward to having a little shade and not having heat stroke during any of those first few games. The Wofford game last year was loving scorching.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

vyst posted:

Froshies carry the senior grode jars while the seniors get to walk on the grass?

Thanks Obama Woodrow Wilson.

It's time the guy stops getting a free pass :colbert:

More on topic: I don't have any recent pics of the new Houston stadium but it's going to be awesome. My friend and I went to campus to pick our seats last month, it's pretty exciting.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Apparently our AD is working with Aggy's to create a trophy for our new "rivalry." Can't wait to see how inevitably stupid it is.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

RumbleFish posted:

Apparently our AD is working with Aggy's to create a trophy for our new "rivalry." Can't wait to see how inevitably stupid it is.

The Bojangles 'Bo Time' "Why The gently caress Are We Rivals" Trophy

It's a big metal biscuit.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

General Cock

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grittybeard posted:

This would be totally different if he had the kid watching film 24/7

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RumbleFish posted:

The "Cadets love Cocks" trophy.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sterling silver grode jar

Numlock
May 19, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

The Trophy is a signed photography of the A&M mascot and a plaque that declares the winner to be the National Champions of a randomly generated year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Battle for the Arbitrary Phallic Symbol

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

A Jenga tower shaped like a bonfire

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
The Golden Underacheiver

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
Hardee's got our real rivalry, so what's less desirable fast food located in both states. I'm drawing a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Azrial posted:

Hardee's got our real rivalry, so what's less desirable fast food located in both states. I'm drawing a blank.

Waffle/Huddle House I believe

• Locked thread