Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

What was the old two-player brawler game where you were beating down thugs and then, at the end, either player could accept the bad guy's offer and then you had to fight each other? That was baller. More games should do that.

I think Splinter Cell did something like it with one of it's co-op campaigns.

Streets of Rage on Sega Genesis had that option, I might be wrong on the number though because it's been so long. Black guy, white guy, and white girl for player characters. I remember it because I use to play it with friends aaaall the time back then, it was our favorite game. And every time, we'd get to the end and someone accept the offer and it'd become a death match.

Cleatcleat fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it was the first Streets of Rage, of course if you were just playing single-player then all you have to do is accept the final boss' proposal and, welp, you're the right hand to the city's mob boss :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The reason the Jade Empire "give up and die" is less dumb than the ME3 give up and die is solely because the plot of Jade Empire is better constructed than starchild, I thought that was the obvious conclusion but well, my mistake.

no it's not a good option, it's just not as spitefully dumb as the ME3 EC option. Remember, that was added in after the fact - I really feel like it's a middle finger to the playerbase. The JE one was in the game from the start and was sort of like a neat easter egg.

obv the only way to roll is Open Palm and bring Dawn Star to the final battle geez what are you people.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 28, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Tirranek posted:

What if with all the stranded fleets, Earth ceased to be a human world but ended up being the core of the new galaxy once everything settled down? Sure it's potentially pretty drat grim, but it could have been interesting.

There's the issue of certain races not being able to eat the same foods, and so not having enough of their food to survive long distance travel without the relays, or to figure out a way to grow it on the now wrecked earth.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Psion posted:

no it's not a good option, it's just not as spitefully dumb as the ME3 EC option. Remember, that was added in after the fact - I really feel like it's a middle finger to the playerbase. The JE one was in the game from the start and was sort of like a neat easter egg.

obv the only way to roll is Open Palm and bring Dawn Star to the final battle geez what are you people.

Jade Empire also had a gay romance option and a kinky menage trois option, so even though Mass Effect basically tried by ME2 to sell itself as a dating sim Jade Empire was better.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Barlow posted:

Jade Empire also had a gay romance option and a kinky menage trois option, so even though Mass Effect basically tried by ME2 to sell itself as a dating sim Jade Empire was better.
Kinky incestuous menage a trois option, don't forget! :eng101:

So yeah. That was weird.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No way was I going to just let the villain get away with what he did to my character in Jade Empire. Better let the starchild murder them all.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Original, relay-exploding Destroy is the best ending because it means Aria and Omega get wiped out by a double relay explosion. Just to be sure. :colbert:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Sentinel Red posted:

Original, relay-exploding Destroy is the best ending because it means Aria and Omega get wiped out by a double relay explosion. Just to be sure. :colbert:

Shepard stares into the void as the relays are vaporized, her job finally done. As her life fades, a lone voice echoes in her mind.

"Don't. gently caress. With Aria."

Too late. :smug:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sentinel Red posted:

Aria is safe on the Citadel due to developer fiat.

Thanks for getting Omega back for me, Shepard. Now I will run it from my couch on the Citadel.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Psion posted:

The reason the Jade Empire "give up and die" is less dumb than the ME3 give up and die is solely because the plot of Jade Empire is better constructed than starchild, I thought that was the obvious conclusion but well, my mistake.

Nah the Jade Empire one is literally just as retarded. You could convincingly argue that it's more retarded BECAUSE of the plot being overall more well constructed.

For example, in Jade Empire you've literally already fought your way out of death once to stop this rear end in a top hat so rolling over and saying "Well shucks okay I guess I'll die in the name of your glorious regime" even after all that extra special deluxe makes no loving sense.

Seriously why are we defending the dumbest thing in Jade Empire

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's fine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seriously why are we defending the dumbest thing in Jade Empire

I'd say at this point it's because you are really bad at getting it. One might even say you're ... oblivious :ocelot:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Psion posted:

I'd say at this point it's because you are really bad at getting it. One might even say you're ... oblivious :ocelot:

None of this really addresses the points I've made, so I'm gonna call a dodge a dodge.

Also, you wearin' hella rose tinted glasses.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Shepard stares into the void as the relays are vaporized, her job finally done. As her life fades, a lone voice echoes in her mind.

"Don't. gently caress. With Aria."

Too late. :smug:
Still one of my favorite little details in Citadel: "I broke the first rule of Omega...in more ways than one." :clint:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

My Q-Face posted:

Not quite as stupid as the option in Dragon Warrior, I think the first game to offer you such a choice at the end.

:frog: Give up your quest and join me and we can rule the world together!
:black101: Ok.
:frogbon: R-Really?
:black101: Yeah.

Game Over
EVO: Search For Eden let you do it at least 3 times during the game, all of which were pretty hilarious.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Citadel is the canon epilogue anyeway. The series has to end with drunk Grunt mumbling in the shower or it's not worth it.

Will you pick drat The Lettuce, Expose The Clowns, or have a high enough EMS for Fishdog Food Shack?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

LordHippoman posted:

Citadel is the canon epilogue anyeway. The series has to end with drunk Grunt mumbling in the shower or it's not worth it.

Will you pick drat The Lettuce, Expose The Clowns, or have a high enough EMS for Fishdog Food Shack?

Actually, I was wondering about this. I went back and reloaded a character I beat the game with before getting the DLC, played the ending again and found myself at the Galaxy Map on the Normandy with DLC missions to play, after playing through the slideshow and all. :gonk: When are you supposed to play citadel?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

My Q-Face posted:

Actually, I was wondering about this. I went back and reloaded a character I beat the game with before getting the DLC, played the ending again and found myself at the Galaxy Map on the Normandy with DLC missions to play, after playing through the slideshow and all. :gonk: When are you supposed to play citadel?

You have access to Citadel any time after the Cerberus coup. Technically the best time is right before the assault on Cerberus HQ, as you'll have your full party and cast of NPCs for the party. The actual best time is after you've finished the game so it washes away the taste of the ending.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

My Q-Face posted:

Citadel is supposed to be played after finishing the game, as it acts as a send-off to the series as a whole, but canonically takes place at an indeterminate point of time during the events of Mass Effect 3.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Not quite as stupid as the option in Dragon Warrior, I think the first game to offer you such a choice at the end.

:frog: Give up your quest and join me and we can rule the world together!
:black101: Ok.
:frogbon: R-Really?
:black101: Yeah.

There's an option kind of like that in Star Control II, whenever you encounter the main bad guys.

Ur-Quan: Surrender, puny human! It's too late for you, of course - you will have to be executed - but your crew can live and we will not take punitive action against your planet.

You: Huh. Well. Fair enough.

Ur-Quan: What?

You: I surrender.

GAME OVER

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My plan during the current steam sale was to pick up ME1 for cheap and do a trilogy playthrough in one go. I played the poo poo out of it on 360 when it first came out so playing it on PC was new and exciting. So heres just some thoughts I've had after finishing ME1 and moving onto ME2.

I guess I don't remember the combat being that atrocious or maybe that I just had nothing to compare it to 7 years go but holy poo poo was it annoying. Really poorly implemented cover mechanic, powers on ridiculous cool downs, god drat inventory system and the planet exploring hoooooly poo poo. I played an adept because I'd never done a playthrough as one before and I forgot how OP singularity was so I didn't pick that up as early as I should have. I ended up dropping the difficulty to casual because the combat was just that frustrating. And you can duck! Why?! It was so weird to be able to do that AND have a cover mechanic.
The story for me is still straight up best out of the 3 and the final section from Ilos to the citadel is easily one of my favourite gaming bits ever. It definitely touches more on the synthetics vs organics than I remember too, but it doesn't ram it in your face like 3 does.
Wrex and Garrus were my brosquad the whole game except for Noveria where I brought along Liara so she could say bye to Benezia.
Left Ash behind on Vermire because even though I thought she grows more as a character with the whole accepting aliens thing I couldn't stand what they did to her appearance in 3. Kaiden wasn't as annoying as I remember either even though he didn't grow as much as Ash. He also didn't look as greasy either.
I realised that I actually liked driving the mako on the set location planets (vermire, noveria, ilos, that planet you find liara on, etc), its the random survey ones that loving suck. Vertical mountains everywhere. Just really unfun.
I laughed hard when Saren showed up on his hover board. The conversations with him are a bit weird. The last conversation you have with him on the citadel comes across like Shepard and Saren are old buddies but they've only met once before. The fight against sovereignsaren was pretty annoying too. He just jumps all over the place and barely sits still.
The conversation with Sovereign was cool even though he's just like "WE ARE MACHINES YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND".

I started 2 and the combat is so much better. Like night and day. Its also nice to not fight Geth like 90% of the time. Gonna miss Wrex not being in my squad. Probably take Zaeed or Grunt instead. I'll do another guddamn post when I finish ME2.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Aria is safe on the Citadel due to developer fiat.

You know, I just figured that everyone on the Citadel when endgame started ended up in the body piles you wade through to get to the conduit controls. Depressed the hell out of me in my first play-through.

Second play-through I noticed that they insinuate that they are just the people ported up from the killing fields of Earth, so hurray, I guess Barla Vonn and Liarra's Father might still live. Still a depressing pile of bodies, but likely a pile of bodies belonging to people you don't know.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 30, 2014

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Crouching is there so you can snipe more accurately while on the move. Crouching and quickscoping is actually doable and probably less frustrating than trying to contend with ME1's cover system.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

remusclaw posted:

You know, I just figured that everyone on the Citadel when endgame started ended up in the body piles you wade through to get to the conduit controls. Depressed the hell out of me in my first play-through.

Second play-through I noticed that they insinuate that they are just the people ported up from the killing fields of Earth, so hurray, I guess Barla Vonn and Liarra's mother might still live. Still a depressing pile of bodies, but likely a pile of bodies belonging to people you don't know.

Then again, why would they be bringing people up from Earth if they had people already on the Citadel just sitting around?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Then again, why would they be bringing people up from Earth if they had people already on the Citadel just sitting around?

gently caress if I know. That's what they seem to imply though.

Edit: I think Shepard wonders out loud to Anderson as to whether they are creating another Reaper in there.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 30, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Inverness posted:

So I said I wanted to play a Reaper in ME4 right?

Someone should make a Mass Effect game that's just like Desert Bus. You're a Reaper slowly floating through deep space on your way to the Milky Way. And you can make HONKing noises. But that's it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

comatose posted:

My plan during the current steam sale was to pick up ME1 for cheap and do a trilogy playthrough in one go. I played the poo poo out of it on 360 when it first came out so playing it on PC was new and exciting. So heres just some thoughts I've had after finishing ME1 and moving onto ME2.

I guess I don't remember the combat being that atrocious or maybe that I just had nothing to compare it to 7 years go but holy poo poo was it annoying. Really poorly implemented cover mechanic, powers on ridiculous cool downs, god drat inventory system and the planet exploring hoooooly poo poo. I played an adept because I'd never done a playthrough as one before and I forgot how OP singularity was so I didn't pick that up as early as I should have. I ended up dropping the difficulty to casual because the combat was just that frustrating. And you can duck! Why?! It was so weird to be able to do that AND have a cover mechanic.
The story for me is still straight up best out of the 3 and the final section from Ilos to the citadel is easily one of my favourite gaming bits ever. It definitely touches more on the synthetics vs organics than I remember too, but it doesn't ram it in your face like 3 does.
Wrex and Garrus were my brosquad the whole game except for Noveria where I brought along Liara so she could say bye to Benezia.
Left Ash behind on Vermire because even though I thought she grows more as a character with the whole accepting aliens thing I couldn't stand what they did to her appearance in 3. Kaiden wasn't as annoying as I remember either even though he didn't grow as much as Ash. He also didn't look as greasy either.
I realised that I actually liked driving the mako on the set location planets (vermire, noveria, ilos, that planet you find liara on, etc), its the random survey ones that loving suck. Vertical mountains everywhere. Just really unfun.
I laughed hard when Saren showed up on his hover board. The conversations with him are a bit weird. The last conversation you have with him on the citadel comes across like Shepard and Saren are old buddies but they've only met once before. The fight against sovereignsaren was pretty annoying too. He just jumps all over the place and barely sits still.
The conversation with Sovereign was cool even though he's just like "WE ARE MACHINES YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND".

I started 2 and the combat is so much better. Like night and day. Its also nice to not fight Geth like 90% of the time. Gonna miss Wrex not being in my squad. Probably take Zaeed or Grunt instead. I'll do another guddamn post when I finish ME2.

I started playing through these in june, and I actually found 2 a lot harder to play, possibly due to lots and lots of multiplayer from 3. You die if you try to be mobile in 2 the way you can be in 3 and even as a vanguard there are times where you have to sit in cover and plink away at people from across the screen. Once you get assault rifles though things get a lot easier.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The easiest way to play ME1 is as a soldier. You can use all the weapons and there's very little that can stop at around mid-game. You can basically just straight up run at dudes shooting.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Also there's zero advantage to doing planet exploration/item recovery. You can skip it entirely, and only go to a planet when a mission requires you to.

I think there's maybe one achievement that requires it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Still one of my favorite little details in Citadel: "I broke the first rule of Omega...in more ways than one." :clint:
I do not remember this at all but it's awesome. Who said that?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Fifty Three posted:

:mordin:

Only the best person to say it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

Mordin has the STG leave a datapad at your apartment post-party that contains some of his non-sciencey work. One bit is a noir-ish story that Patrick Weekes originally wrote on Twitter about Mordin being a detective on Omega and probably sleeping with Aria.

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 30, 2014

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Oh my goodness. :allears:

I must've missed some of the datapads.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

Oh my goodness. :allears:

I must've missed some of the datapads.

It's right next to your bed after you wake up post-party.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so does this mean that Mordin will be at your party if you sabotage the cure with Wreav around instead? Actually, maybe a better question, how do you get Mordin to live? Wrex has to be dead and Eve as well?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Aces High posted:

so does this mean that Mordin will be at your party if you sabotage the cure with Wreav around instead? Actually, maybe a better question, how do you get Mordin to live? Wrex has to be dead and Eve as well?

You have to have carried on Mordin's life work and hosed the Krogan in every conceivable way, but he still just disappears.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Well he has to go into hiding after all. I actually thought Mordins death was well done from a storytelling standpoint and good closure on his story arc. Also his race doesn't live that long and in earlier convos he makes it pretty clear that he doesn't have much time left anyways. It was a lot less bullshit than Legions "quarian/geth peace" death at any rate. (Legion getting stabbed to death was actually absolutely fine, tho)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aces High posted:

I think the only place Mordin ever shows up if he lives is on Earth when you can call everyone up.

And Mordin lives if Wrex is dead and you destroyed Maelon's work in ME2, which causes Eve to die (so you're 3/4 right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

I started playing through these in june, and I actually found 2 a lot harder to play, possibly due to lots and lots of multiplayer from 3. You die if you try to be mobile in 2 the way you can be in 3 and even as a vanguard there are times where you have to sit in cover and plink away at people from across the screen. Once you get assault rifles though things get a lot easier.

Yeah going into 2 I felt like I was playing 3 but it is still very different. The power cooldowns are still much longer than 3 and while the combos are there they feel a lot harder to pull off. Also the smg that you start with is horrible and I wish I had the hurricane or whatever it is from ME3.

• Locked thread