Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

vigorous sodomy posted:

Can we post the accepted and popular HA loadouts and why they're good?

NanoMeshGen + Nanoweave because you have the largest available health pool.

Resist Shield + Advanced Shield Capacitor because you have very low downtime, provided you use med kits to top your health off.

Grenade bandolier on everything, never stop chuckin' grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rabhadh posted:

NMG + Regen + Bandolier (AV) + Dumbfire/Deci + C4 is basically a walking arsenal. MAXes will not get anywhere near you, turrets are your bitch, and you can hit vehicles six different ways and drat near instagib a Sunderer. Engineers are probably still better for Sunderers but this loadout will crush a crash and the Sunderer it rode in on.

Clear Vision + Bandolier (Concussion) is also an obvious choice if you've got that implant. Conc your own feet, feel nothing, destroy everyone with a close-quarters LMG, SMG, or shotgun. Do it over and over.

EDIT: Also Bandolier is loving incredible for Medic (Revives out the rear end) and Engineer (4x Sticky Grenade is cheating if you're in a big fight, it's a million times better than Frags with rudimentary understanding of arcs and corners).

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Rabhadh posted:

Seconding this. Multiple grenades is the difference between injuring a bunch of dudes and killing a bunch of dudes.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
When I started out, I thought grenade bando was dumb. Now I can't not use it on my medic. Thankfully, I learned the power of multiple revive nades and the feeling of being washed in certs.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah I can no longer live without bando on my medic and heavy, and would be on my LA too if I could give up the ammo belt.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Rabhadh posted:

This is terrible for people like me who never remember to resupply infantry resources.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

vigorous sodomy posted:

Resist Shield + Advanced Shield Capacitor because you have very low downtime, provided you use med kits to top your health off.

Toss a regen implant on that (level one is fine) and you can save your kits for those wonderful "how the gently caress am I not dead" emergencies.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I use AS+bando+resto kits on every single HA loadout, the only thing that changes is my implant and launcher. You want nothing but nade bando on your medic and once you cert it up utility belt for your engy--having 5 c4/tank mines and 3 AI mines means anything the engy can do a utility belt engy can do better.

Adrenaline shield is amazing once you cert it up because you only pop it in a face fight then leave it off while you pick dudes off from afar regening it. Its goddamn amazing with the lasher since you can have 100% shield up time if your getting kill streaks. During that bio alert i had the shield up for nearly 4 minutes absorbing nades and rockets while my shields and health got slowly healed every time.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'm going for Nanite Mesh Gen + Nanoweave + Regen Implant + Medkits because I am terrible and I need all advantages in my favor.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a reason to take one kind of medkit over the other?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

One is instant full heal the other is slow regen, instant 500 hps or 500 hps over 4 seconds? same cost.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Ryuga Death posted:

Medkits are an instant heal, restoration kits are a heal over time. As far as I know, they heal the same amount because :soe: so you might as well just buy medkits.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's disappointing to hear, I'd figure maybe there was some strategic differences and a pro/con between the two.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

If resto kits healed for longer they'd have utility for giving a second or two of medic aura shielding in the next fight but the instant heal of the med kits jut feels neater to me as it gets you back in the game faster.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
The built in framerate meter doesn't seem to indicate bottleneck anymore (CPU vs. GPU), did they disable it or something? I can't break 30 FPS in these huge Hossin battles and I'm unsure of what settings to fiddle with now. I already have lighting quality low and shadows/AO/flora off, what else hogs the CPU?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sic Semper Terranae

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Played just now for the first time since the patch dropped. And immediately stopped because there's an orange-yellow line at the top and left of my screen and terminal holograms no longer render. What's going on? Got an AMD R9 290 on 14.4 drivers.
(It's much more noticeable ingame than in the screenshot)

e: it only appears when I'm actually playing, not in any menus

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 29, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Sic Semper Terranae

Yes, yes, Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus and all of that jazz.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

folgore posted:

The built in framerate meter doesn't seem to indicate bottleneck anymore (CPU vs. GPU), did they disable it or something? I can't break 30 FPS in these huge Hossin battles and I'm unsure of what settings to fiddle with now. I already have lighting quality low and shadows/AO/flora off, what else hogs the CPU?

If you have smoothing on it's less likely to show it I think because of how it takes some FPS off the top for stability instead of pushing everything your system can. You can get it to show sometimes though even with smoothing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

30 Second Artbomb posted:

Medkits are an instant heal, restoration kits are a heal over time. As far as I know, they heal the same amount because :soe: so you might as well just buy medkits.
Actually unless it was changed semi-recently Restoration Kits heal less because :soe:. There would be strategic considerations if a Resto were like 120% of your health over x seconds where a Med was 100% instantly, but it doesn't even have that degree of depth. There are tiny niche scenarios where a Resto is theoretically preferable (you're over 50% health and anticipate taking some damage soon but not too much damage) but it's not nearly enough.

EDIT: The only legit Resto edge is when a server is overloaded less of a Restoration Kit's healing is eaten by the lag so you get actual healing out of it instead of zero.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Resto kits are better for when med kits bug out and stop working. :soe:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Resto kits light you up like a Christmas tree and thus should never be used

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police
Okay. Let me get this straight. Restoration kits have the same use animation as a medkit and cost the same amount of resources to resupply, but they don't heal anywhere near as fast, they light you up at night with a green glow, and they don't heal for as much?

There needs to be a :psyboom: variant where an SOE logo swells out of the hole, then the whole thing implodes like :soe: does.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

30 Second Artbomb posted:

Okay. Let me get this straight. Restoration kits have the same use animation as a medkit and cost the same amount of resources to resupply, but they don't heal anywhere near as fast, they light you up at night with a green glow, and they don't heal for as much?

There needs to be a :psyboom: variant where an SOE logo swells out of the hole, then the whole thing implodes like :soe: does.

The first rank is 20 certs cheaper for the resto kits. All other ranks are the same cost as the medkit

That's 100% of the advantages

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

The first rank is 20 certs cheaper for the resto kits. All other ranks are the same cost as the medkit

That's 100% of the advantages

Also, when things start getting crazy and the server spontaneously combusts medkits will stop working while resto kits will continue to work.

If stuff gets crazy enough, however, even resto kits will stop working.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

Also, when things start getting crazy and the server spontaneously combusts medkits will stop working while resto kits will continue to work.

If stuff gets crazy enough, however, even resto kits will stop working.

You want a regen implant for this, same as a MAX except NAR. It's slower but it wont get eaten by the lag so you end up healing faster and without blowing 400 infantry resources

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

What regen level does everyone prefer for HA backup? I've got all of them but I can't decide which one is the best tradeoff.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Westy543 posted:

What regen level does everyone prefer for HA backup? I've got all of them but I can't decide which one is the best tradeoff.

I just use rank 1 because it uses 1/4 the juice for like 2/3 of the healing and it heals super fast

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They should make resto kits cheaper then medkits and you have alot more of them like 8 at max rank then add a new kit called a regen kit which heals 150% of your hps over a span of 15 seconds. You can choose from the economic resto kits which you can use liberally or you can get the instant heal of medkits and finally you have regen kits which can be used like a ghetto medic aura.

Then of course you implement an inventory system so you can carry a mix of all 3 adding depth to your loadouts and tactics but who am i kidding :soe:.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Haha, NC have owned Zotz (held by HIGBY'S HEROES) longer than they have the territories bordering their warpgate

NC lyfe

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I noticed there is a not insignificant delay on looking around if you have even 30FPS. You move the mouse, and then you look in that direction after the delay, which is hugely debilitating in a game that requires reflexes and accuracy. Did this always happen, and is there a way to fix it? Their performance enhancements did exactly jack poo poo and the game takes even longer to load now. I have everything set to low already with shadows off, and I don't remember it being this bad.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 30, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
My game takes literally less than 3 seconds to load from my ssd and I get solid 60 fps regardless of the battle size on everything set to ultra/max and every effect turned on.

The only difference I have from before is upgrading my ram to 16 from 6. I am running this on a non OC i7 920 that is like close to 4-5 years old now.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
PROTIP: When laying down a shield dong, placement is important. Because the bubble is large and illuminates allies, it can attract friendlies and enemies alike! A good spot to place one is behind an obstacle, set back slightly so the bubble doesn't cut the corner or go through the wall, allowing your allies to regenerate shields without drawing undue attention. A bad spot to place one is in direct sight range of an infantry terminal owned by the other team.

DaPP: Not Even Once

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

vigorous sodomy posted:

Can we post the accepted and popular HA loadouts and why they're good?

I run three major loadouts on my HA -

General Use: Resist/ASC/Conc Grenades/Medkits, with the SAW (2x/Adv. Grip), NS-44 (Laser) and the Hawk.

Close Quarters: NMG/Nanoweave/Conc Grenades/Medkits, with EM6 (IRNV/EMags), NS-44 (Laser) and the Hawk.

gently caress MAXes: NMG/Bandolier/AV Grenades/C4, with the Jackhammer (IRNV/EMags), Hunter QCX (Laser/Explosive Bolts), and a Decimator.

Plus a dedicated Phoenix loadout that has the Phoenix and Munitions Pouch.

If I'm on my VS 99% of the time I run one called Vanu As Hell, which really is just for spamming the Lasher until I get weaponlocked.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Nakar posted:

PROTIP: When laying down a shield dong, placement is important. Because the bubble is large and illuminates allies, it can attract friendlies and enemies alike! A good spot to place one is behind an obstacle, set back slightly so the bubble doesn't cut the corner or go through the wall, allowing your allies to regenerate shields without drawing undue attention. A bad spot to place one is in direct sight range of an infantry terminal owned by the other team.

DaPP: Not Even Once

Placement of shield dongs is important, but not for the benefit of your allies. Shield dongs are solely designed for luring dumb pubbies into vulnerable positions in which they die en mass and then become fodder for your revive grenades. I'm pretty sure I've never seen shield dongs actually be useful.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Shield dongs can sometimes let you take an extra bullet, and at max rank it will recharge shields from 0 to 100% within 10 seconds.

Their use is more limited than the Heal aura for sure, but I really enjoy using it when I have lots of cover to poke in and out of. Playing mostly VS these days, I'm already reloading behind cover every few seconds, so the shield dong helps minimize downtime while still being able to lug four revives around. I also only really use it for non-CQC setups like with the Corvus or CME, for whatever that's worth.

I do enjoy tossing sticky grenades or lurking as an infiltrator around enemy shield dongs, though.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Someone explain implants to me like I'm five, thanks.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
My shield regenerator thingie is at rank 4, is it worth maxing it to 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

My shield regenerator thingie is at rank 4, is it worth maxing it to 5?

Naw, just boosts the range a little. Its speed increase caps at rank 3 unless it got stealth patched

• Locked thread